Page 125 of 599 FirstFirst ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 14972
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    There's going to be a whole generation of skiers soon (if not already) that have only skied on heavily rockered skis, and don't know what to do with a more traditional tail or how to drive a ski.
    The ever-changing world...old men everywhere thinking the same thing about all us kids with our "fancy plastic boots" who don't know how to turn a ski with leather on our feet!

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    We sort of did for awhile - 166/176. When we had those sizes around they sold.......well they didn't really sell. That said - we are talking about offering it in a SuperGoat-esc capacity thru the Champagne Room - basically preorder only - one run/year. Would be updated to 164/174. From a design aspect - some of the baseline is already in place so it wouldn't be a ton of work to get the skis update to current RES specs & asymmetry. That said, would have to be notable presale interest for us to completely dive into it. We were already building SuperGoats for athletes and it still took a preorder to make the production time make sense, so a bit more to it on this one. So, yeah, we're talking about it, though we use a different internal working name than the Nanny Goat (Bhaaaaad Bitch 🐐 ). Not sure under what branding the ski would go to production though.
    Add me to the list for a 160-170cm Goat. My wife needs a soft snow ski and is just too short (5’3”) for the current offerings.

I’ve been trying to buy her a pair since I demo’d the BG several years ago. The skis absolutely screamed “she would love these”.

Had a fun little package arrive today They are to be skied tomorrow with bluebird conditions and a hill that was shredded to pieces today, so things will be bumpy and tracked out tomorrow for sure. Should be fun giving the wrens/BG combo a true test as difficult condition day wreckers. Dunno why i remebered that the BGs were planks - they're not - the flex is pretty nice imo. The 88s are quite stiff, but then again, i do not know why i thought that a 10/10 rating would be anything but stiff. I've also thought about getting some custom k98s, but i think i have landed on a different solution for now - repurposing another ski from the quiver for that use.

The 88s will be mounted with p14s, while the wren/BG combo will probably get shifts as soon as they are made available to us mere mortals - tectons for now for added flexibility. I think i will end up selling the 184 wren108/BG quiver again and hold on to the 179s if tomorrow proves PowTron correct wrt length Based on today's riding with true 176cm skis, it will not be a huge surprise if he was/is bang on.

As much as the wren108s in 184 were fun to ride today, the true stars of the day were my bmt122s. I had originally decided to sell em, but gave em a second go and glad that i did. They are freaking awesome, even if they could be even stiffer. Perhaps not the best thread to lavish praise on völkls, but i think it to be a really good ski - if perhaps not excactly on3pesque bombproof

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180201_2059470.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	222728

and yeah, i also find the wren108s quite easy to ski and find that the tails release nicely. I really like em so far.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Are you looking to sell those K108s?
    Not until April.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    I think they were primarily discussing the 108. My impression is that by design, the 88 is stiffer and more locked in for harder snow conditions. Not sure if there's less tail rocker on the 88 than the 108, but a stiffer tail would do that too.
    Same rocker on all three Wrens. Stiffness and turn radius changes with all three, however.

Stiffest = 88
    Stiff = 108
    Kinda Stiff = 98

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    My 191 Billy's mounted, but never skied are going up in the next couple of days. I have a heavily used pair (keeping) and SGs and need to thin the 115+ quiver...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Sentcha a pm.

FUNKY, my bad man... I am traveling and am with customers and kissing ass... Unfortunately I need said customers to pay for my bloated quiver. So like the saying bros before hoes - customers before fellow mags. I will be home tomorrow and will respond to all PMs...

And for those that asked here is a pic of the said 191 Unicorn skis... Mounted on the line for a 325 bsl...

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Sentcha a pm.
    17 people probably did

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    17 people probably did

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I also owe you a response mattig... I will say this - if 189 98 Wrens performed the way you said they did I would hold out for another run of SGs in a stiff version...

I will provide more detail in my PM to you...

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    What is your bsl?
    It is a 316.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    I have a brand new pair of K108 186 demos that just popped into my garage last weekend...just saying. I also have two pair of my own BG;s we could probably get you on, too.
    I may need to try a pair of BGs and the K108 this coming Monday when I ditch work. I’ll hit you up...

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post

...if tomorrow proves PowTron correct wrt length Based on today's riding with true 176cm skis, it will not be a huge surprise if he was/is bang on.
    Search your feelings. You know this to be true.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MJbumper1121 View Post
    It is a 316.

I may need to try a pair of BGs and the K108 this coming Monday when I ditch work. I’ll hit you up...

I have 184cm BG and W108 mounted for 325. 316 will fit. If you don't mind being half a cm forward you're welcome to try 'em someplace local.

We sort of did for awhile - 166/176. When we had those sizes around they sold.......well they didn't really sell. That said - we are talking about offering it in a SuperGoat-esc capacity thru the Champagne Room - basically preorder only - one run/year. Would be updated to 164/174. From a design aspect - some of the baseline is already in place so it wouldn't be a ton of work to get the skis update to current RES specs & asymmetry. That said, would have to be notable presale interest for us to completely dive into it. We were already building SuperGoats for athletes and it still took a preorder to make the production time make sense, so a bit more to it on this one. So, yeah, we're talking about it, though we use a different internal working name than the Nanny Goat (Bhaaaaad Bitch 🐐 ). Not sure under what branding the ski would go to production though.
    Definitely interested

We sort of did for awhile - 166/176. When we had those sizes around they sold.......well they didn't really sell. That said - we are talking about offering it in a SuperGoat-esc capacity thru the Champagne Room - basically preorder only - one run/year. Would be updated to 164/174. From a design aspect - some of the baseline is already in place so it wouldn't be a ton of work to get the skis update to current RES specs & asymmetry. That said, would have to be notable presale interest for us to completely dive into it. We were already building SuperGoats for athletes and it still took a preorder to make the production time make sense, so a bit more to it on this one. So, yeah, we're talking about it, though we use a different internal working name than the Nanny Goat (Bhaaaaad Bitch ). Not sure under what branding the ski would go to production though.
    With all this talk of short Billy Goats I have a confession to make. This old guy at 5’4”, 155lbs is riding Wren 98, Steeple 102 and now 16-17 Billy Goats at 174. I know this is heresy for TGR but hey they work for me. This is the 3rd season for the Steeples and for me they have plenty of float and stability. They’ve been my soft snow ski but I’ve had my eye on the Billy Goats at a local shop and when the price was right I just had to pull the trigger. I’ve got about 10 days on the Wren 98’s. Even at a weenie 174 they’re are plenty stable for the speeds I feel comfortable with. To me the main characteristic of the ski is the way they finish the turn. The tails just lock in. That said it seems all I have to do is think it and they release.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Had a fun little package arrive today They are to be skied tomorrow with bluebird conditions and a hill that was shredded to pieces today, so things will be bumpy and tracked out tomorrow for sure. Should be fun giving the wrens/BG combo a true test as difficult condition day wreckers. Dunno why i remebered that the BGs were planks - they're not - the flex is pretty nice imo. The 88s are quite stiff, but then again, i do not know why i thought that a 10/10 rating would be anything but stiff. I've also thought about getting some custom k98s, but i think i have landed on a different solution for now - repurposing another ski from the quiver for that use.

The 88s will be mounted with p14s, while the wren/BG combo will probably get shifts as soon as they are made available to us mere mortals - tectons for now for added flexibility. I think i will end up selling the 184 wren108/BG quiver again and hold on to the 179s if tomorrow proves PowTron correct wrt length Based on today's riding with true 176cm skis, it will not be a huge surprise if he was/is bang on.

As much as the wren108s in 184 were fun to ride today, the true stars of the day were my bmt122s. I had originally decided to sell em, but gave em a second go and glad that i did. They are freaking awesome, even if they could be even stiffer. Perhaps not the best thread to lavish praise on völkls, but i think it to be a really good ski - if perhaps not excactly on3pesque bombproof

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180201_2059470.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	222728

and yeah, i also find the wren108s quite easy to ski and find that the tails release nicely. I really like em so far.
    I have a pair of volkl bmt 109s that I absolutely love, but I've gotten two core shots skiing at big Sky this winter and realize I could ruin these skis if I keep riding them inbounds.

I'm becoming interested in the W108's. How do your BMT's compare with the W108?

I ski a mix of tight steep chutes at Bridger and bigger more open terrain at Big Sky and need a ski that can turn quickly and easily but still be stable. Am I looking in the right place?

My knees are trashed so I can't really go wider for when it gets firm or for groomers, and I have a hard snow ski so these would be for powder/soft only.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    I ski a mix of tight steep chutes at Bridger and bigger more open terrain at Big Sky and need a ski that can turn quickly and easily but still be stable. Am I looking in the right place?

My knees are trashed so I can't really go wider for when it gets firm or for groomers, and I have a hard snow ski so these would be for powder/soft only.
    Given your desire for a soft-snow ski that's a bit narrower, you might consider a custom Steeple 108 in the standard (non-touring) layup. Just a thought.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by rainy512day View Post
    With all this talk of short Billy Goats I have a confession to make...
    Fuck it. Ride what works. Go skiing with your friends. Don’t worry about it.

I’m gonna finally pop the cherry on my K108’s this weekend. I have high hopes for a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I’m gonna finally pop the cherry on my K108’s this weekend. I have high hopes for a good time.

I commented earlier in this thread, but man...that is just the best topsheet ever!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Question regarding Kartel mount points:

Would mounting back 1-2 cm give the ski a slightly more "traditional" feel for intermediate skiers or would it be unadvisable? The reason I ask... I'm considering a Kartel 98/108 mounted with demo bindings on the line for my BSL of 316 but have family that come to visit with 330+ bsl's and I would like to have a ski to accomodate them. Also a progressive, center mounted ski that is as versatile as the Kartel sounds would be a fun experiment for me.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Demo binders usually adjust forward and backward of center, so they'll likely be pretty close to center. Plus, IIRC, a few members on here have had decent luck mounting slightly rearward. So I'd say go for it.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Ok thanks. I think it will work out fine but I don't have much experience with that style of ski.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Ok thanks. I think it will work out fine but I don't have much experience with that style of ski.
    I liked them at -2

You can also move the toe and heel piece back or forward ignoring the bsl indicators to play with position.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    I'm becoming interested in the W108's. How do your BMT's compare with the W108?
    i have the BMTs in both 109 and 122. My time on both is extremely limited - one hour and 2.5 days respectively - so i am not sure how much weight you should put on my opinions. The reason i skied the 109s so briefly is that i got them just two days ago, and after bombing around on the slightly stiffer and heavier 122s (i prefer stiffer and heavier ) yesterday, the 109s were just a bit too light for deep, dense(ish) super tracked pow i was riding in - aka they got thrown around too much at faster speeds to feel super confidence inspiring - so i swapped to the wren108s instead as i will have plenty of time for the 109s later on. I went from wanting to sell the 122s, to thinking that they definitely deserved a spot in the quiver after riding them in super wet dense coastal fresh and that is also what prompted me getting the 109s.

While i absolutely love the wren108s, i must admit to not being 100% sure if that is the right way to go for you. The wren is a fair bit stiffer, longer radi, less tapered and i find that they require a more active/aggressive riding style than the BMTs. The w108s are bloody amazing to charge around on and they carve like a champ, they prefer going fast, but are also perhaps a bit demanding for slower skiing. I think the BMT109s are a bit more forgiving and probably a bit easier to ski. The BMT has more taper in both ends, and the slightly softer flex and the full rocker construction just makes em a more intuitive ride. I ski the BMT slightly differently than the wrens, with the latter being more point and shoot/carving, where the BMTs are easier to slarve yet hold an edge great. Both the wren and bmt needs to be driven in the same way in harder snow. So to be perfectly honest, i am not sure what the best on3p ski is for you if you want to emulate the bmt. Perhaps a slightly softer custom wren108 is the way to go, a kartel108 with the bindings mounted a bit further back to get some more taper and a slightly softer flex, or the steeple108. I think PowTron aka Jay will be able to accomodate your skiing needs and he is probably the guy to have the chat with, and/or go demo the various skis.

So in closing - I really, really like the wren108s, they are bloody amazing. At the end of the day though i took a spill from catching an edge as i was about to stop, due solely to not being on it due to being knackered. From that point (three more runs) i did the bare minimum of turns as i simply didn't have the energy for it - prefering to borderline straight line the runs, obviously a lot of fun. That being said, the 179 felt fine and i never felt under gunned, so yeah, PowTron, while the 184s felt fine as well, i think your recommendation was probably the best option all along. I liked the BGs on the groomers as well, while i am still figuring them out in soft snow - partly due to my legs being shot to hell after yesterday. Supertracked conditions today - aka perferct trying grounds, but unfamiliar skis made me a bit cautious, so i just need to get up to speed on em, gain some confidence in them/in me sking them, and i think we will be a happy match as well. That being said, did i mention how much i like the w108s?

Happy days
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 02-03-2018 at 04:01 AM.