Page 173 of 599 FirstFirst ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 14969
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey311 View Post
    I guess I wasn't clear. I would not consider actually chopping the tail off a ski. I was just pondering the way I think about ski length and mounting point. For instance if I ignore the back 5cm of a 181cm ski mounted at -4.25 from center. I can think about it as being very similar to a ski with a flatter tail 176cm length mounted -6.75 from center.
    There is a bit more too it than that, as the mount point relative to the effective edge & tip & tail length come into play here. So it isn't always that linear. You could have two skis designed in a way where that was true, but that would have to be pretty intentional. It wouldn't be that uniform normally.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	236175

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	298.8 KB 
ID:	236176

I'm still curious what these are about meow...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    There is a bit more too it than that, as the mount point relative to the effective edge & tip & tail length come into play here. So it isn't always that linear. You could have two skis designed in a way where that was true, but that would have to be pretty intentional. It wouldn't be that uniform normally.

Quote Originally Posted by gepmeow View Post

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	236175

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	298.8 KB 
ID:	236176

I'm still curious what these are about meow...
    I believe they were commissioned for a terrible baseball player.

I thought they were made for dirt bike donny?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I believe they were commissioned for a terrible baseball player.
    Maybe one that had a brief stint on the White Sox minor AA team?

Trigger pulled last night! K108 in a 186 with custom green topsheets! Hopefully my everyday alpine setup. Psyched to get on these

OK, so a custom Goat is likely ... either this Summer or next Winter.

I'm thinkin' of something a wee bit softer than the 15/16 Goats I recently sold, to bias them toward quickness in tight trees when I'm skiing more slowly.

I'm trying to understand the relationship between the three variables:

• Stock vs. tour layup
    • Fiberglass: Stock vs. Softer
    • Carbon: Softer/Stock/Stiffer

The last Steeple I demoed (two seasons ago) was plenty stiff, and I'm wondering why I'd opt for tour layup vs. (for example) stock layup + softer glass + softer carbon (or some variant of that).

I realize that your $150 spent on the tour layup also gets you skin clip tails, but for this discussion I'm looking only at ski behavior.

If I were to guess at my ideal Goat it would be standard layup / stock carbon / softer glass - the idea being to retain the crud performance, give up a bit of top end for a bit of maneuverability. Maybe softer carbon with stock glass?

Oh yeah ... veneer!

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-18-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

No 179 custom on billy goats. Bummer, Id go there for the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    No 179 custom on billy goats. Bummer, Id go there for the wife.

I think Iggy said a few posts up that a couple of shorter Goats are in the works.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    If I were to guess at my ideal Goat it would be standard layup / stock carbon / softer glass - the idea being to retain the crud performance, give up a bit of top end for a bit of maneuverability. Maybe softer carbon with stock glass?

Oh yeah ... veneer!

... Thom
    veneer adds more stiffness than you’d think. I have extra carbon + veneer w/ stock glass on my K98’s and they’re the stiff twin tips I was after. But, I’m sure Iggy & Team can best guide you on that quest than us armchairs ski designers...

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    veneer adds more stiffness than you’d think. I have extra carbon + veneer w/ stock glass on my K98’s and they’re the stiff twin tips I was after. But, I’m sure Iggy & Team can best guide you on that quest than us armchairs ski designers...
    Thanks! I thought that Iggy said that they trim the core a bit when adding veneer to retain approximately the same flex.

... waiting to hear how these jigsaw puzzle pieces affect each other.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-18-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    Haha Thanks! Which ones? 8.5 years of writing ski copy has me pretty much cringing at all of it - how many different ways can you describe an "all mountain ski"...
    Wrenegade 114... these go to 11 (sound like they go to 12 in today’s ski market context)

Jib thinking in all mountain persuasion

Game, blouses. Basically everything about the Charlie Murphy. Meet the darkness

Stiffness descrips

Code bestskieronthemountain etc

While still informative, it’s nice to take a break from the mostly serious stuff you usually see out there.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

Oh yeah ... veneer!

... Thom
    Used to be a drinking game on Frasier where they’d have a shot every time someone said veneer while watching antique roadshow (I think it was that show???). In any case between this thread and the Praxis thread a guy could get some serious alcohol poisoning! Every time I see that word posted all I can think is “VENEER!” gulp, hiccup.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Used to be a drinking game on Frasier where they’d have a shot every time someone said veneer while watching antique roadshow (I think it was that show???). In any case between this thread and the Praxis thread a guy could get some serious alcohol poisoning! Every time I see that word posted all I can think is “VENEER!” gulp, hiccup.
    Serious veneer lust - structurally AND cosmetically.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I think I’m going to sell the 186 Kartel 108s. I need the 191s. PM me if interested.

2018 standard K108 with custom garnet topsheet. Skied a couple days. They are pretty much minty fresh besides one binding mount for jesters at recommended for 316mm bsl.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I think I’m going to sell the 186 Kartel 108s. I need the 191s. PM me if interested.

2018 standard K108 with custom garnet topsheet. Skied a couple days. They are pretty much minty fresh besides one binding mount for jesters at recommended for 316mm bsl.

Curious how those ski compared to the -10 Qs?

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Curious how those ski compared to the -10 Qs?
    Similarly quick. Both are some of the quickest skis I have skied lately, that still have a great backbone for speed at our weight. Similar speed limits, on3ps are a little heavier, but also a little more “pop”. Kartels ski more centered, but skinny q’s were not all that directional. All in all, I feel like they cover similar ground in a quiver. No point in owning both. I prefer Kartel simply because I like regular sidecut on firm snow.

Both are great skis, but I need them in 190s length, they ski short. A jibby ski like this should ski short though, they are very easy to manipulate when I’m trying to butter around. In moguls, I can just pick them up and place them where/how I want. They feel extremely light on your feet. Very quick on edge in tight spots.

The bi radius sidecut on the 186 K116 is definitely more “drive-able” for me, and I feel more comfortable on the shorter length with that sidecut. K116 is actually softer and more playful too, but not nearly as good on firm as k108. But the material weight of the k116 makes them just as stable though.

The mount point and sidecut length tell you all you need know with the Kartels. They ski exactly how they read on paper. No surprises.

Tried to hold out, couldn't do it. Some wrens finally joining the quiver. Skin clip tail and veneer top basically makes them a full-on touring ski, right? (Keep telling myself that...). Still need to modernize my BGs, but ... I'm just so happy with the old-ass 191s still. And, I can't fucking break them.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

You can sell them to me tho

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    You can sell them to me tho
    I mean, I could probably be convinced to sell something from the quiver to make room. But, no, it's not going to be the BGs or the wrens.

Are there going to be Demo skis up at Beartooth Pass this weekend?

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    Are there going to be Demo skis up at Beartooth Pass this weekend?
    Yes- We'll be sending out demos on Saturday and Sunday from 10am-3pm. See ya there!

Name:	IMG_0001.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	237979

wren, kartel, or other?

Looking to update my gear, 6'2" 175lbs. Looking to stay with a one ski quiver that works for pretty much anything

I ski Tahoe mostly, and do an occasional tour (shasta or tahoe).

I have marker baron frame AT bindings that I was planning on moving to my new skis. Current skis are an older pair of line prophet 90s in 186, so nearly anything will be an upgrade in waist, weight, and rocker...

I am torn between a pair of wren 108s (184cm or 189cm) or kartel 108s (186cm)

My skiing style has changed a lot, I like to turn a lot more than I used to, ski bumps, pretty much anything to entertain me when taking it a bit easy. I am leaning towards the kartels for the fun factor and my ski style, but am a bit hesitant due to the mount point. I have skiied center mount skis years ago, but think a more traditional mount point is what I am after, but could be convinced.

Also considering blizzard cochise

Any help on wren vs kartel and if my length info seems right since I have never had a rockered ski?

ON3P SKIS Discussion

You’re going to be moving a lot faster downhill on the Wrens than your Prophets but with a lot more agility and speed check features. You’ll feel levitated such that your skis have suddenly come to life. Can’t speak to the Kartels but if you like traveling at speed you’ll dig the Wrens.
    Prophets blow so you’ve got nowhere to go but up.
    Uno mas