Page 189 of 599 FirstFirst ... 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,725 of 14972
    ^oh shit

hey dudes. so I got some 17 Wrenegade 98's at the end of the season last year. Skied them on 3 days, one day with 18" of basically unskiable heavy wet concrete, one that was refrozen crust over old choppy crud, and one that was just super skied out packed down older snow. I didn't really have a good time on them, I found them to be super hooky which I assumed was the tune but looking at them now, the tune doesn't look bad at all. TBF, I did get them tuned at REI because everyone else was booked up. They were good straightlining down steep shit, like HOLY FUCKNUTS these things are stable and fast, but other than that I didn't love them. What do you think? just a couple of bad days and I should give them a chance this season? I'm trying to sort out my quiver before the season starts and get really good prices if I buy now vs later in the season, ON3P isn't on the discount menu, unfortunately.

It sounds like an improper detune. What do you mean, “looking at them now, the tune doesn’t look that bad?” How are you gauging the quality of the tune/detune?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Get them tuned properly. Jeebus, REI is not the place.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    It sounds like an improper detune. What do you mean, “looking at them now, the tune doesn’t look that bad?” How are you gauging the quality of the tune/detune?
    edges are good contact point to contact point, seem to be detuned-ish on the rocker. at least to my very unofficial rubbing my finger across it test.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Get them tuned properly. Jeebus, REI is not the place.
    I'm aware. Everyone else was a week out and I wanted to ski the next day, seller shipped them to me very dry and with the edges needing help.

It sounds like an improper detune
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Yep.
    alright, so get them properly tuned and try again. Just don't want to miss my opportunity to swap them out cheap.

I'm sure every tech @ REI is not a tard.
    Even good shops can have a tech you don't want with your skis in their hand, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_games View Post
    alright, so get them properly tuned and try again. Just don't want to miss my opportunity to swap them out cheap.
    No.
    Research detuning on here.
    Its been discussed. A lot.
    Do it yourself.
    Don't unnecessarily get them ground again.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    No.
    Research detuning on here.
    Its been discussed. A lot.
    Do it yourself.
    Don't unnecessarily get them ground again.
    alright thanks. I didn't mean that I was going to get a full tune again. the bases are good, etc. I'll do that, though. Thanks.

Alternatively, you could send them to me for proper disposal

sure, I charge a $500 proper disposal fee.

I would buy a gummy stone. Detune them real well to contact points. Ski a run and see how they feel. If still hooky detune deeper into the ski by about an inch. Ski again. Rinse and repeat until they no hook no mo.
    Personally if I have a shop tune my skis I tell them to not detune them. Sharp all the way. I then detune to where I think they need to be and adjust on the hill the first couple of runs. Usually only takes one or two runs.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I would buy a gummy stone. Detune them real well to contact points. Ski a run and see how they feel. If still hooky detune deeper into the ski by about an inch. Ski again. Rinse and repeat until they no hook no mo.
    Personally if I have a shop tune my skis I tell them to not detune them. Sharp all the way. I then detune to where I think they need to be and adjust on the hill the first couple of runs. Usually only takes one or two runs.
    awesome, good info. thanks.

hey dudes. so I got some 17 Wrenegade 98's at the end of the season last year. Skied them on 3 days, one day with 18" of basically unskiable heavy wet concrete, one that was refrozen crust over old choppy crud, and one that was just super skied out packed down older snow. .
    You might be using the wrong tool, 2/3 of those days are prime Billy Goat conditions.

What were you skiing before the wren?
    Is the base still flat after the rei “tune”? How much structure did they put in the base? Is it too deep?
    Where are they mounted? Are you too far back, too forward?
    Can you be more detailed in your description of how they ski? Hooky like the tips pull you uphill, or tails won’t release?

I say just ski the piss out of them until you figure them out. Maybe it’s the carpenter not the tool?

Quote Originally Posted by rocca View Post
    Not mine, but though you all would be interested. 2018 BG 189 with one mount - Denver - $350

https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/...707186123.html
    Anybody willing to meet up with seller and ship if these are still available? Obviously would make it worth your time.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    You might be using the wrong tool, 2/3 of those days are prime Billy Goat conditions.

What were you skiing before the wren?
    Is the base still flat after the rei “tune”? How much structure did they put in the base? Is it too deep?
    Where are they mounted? Are you too far back, too forward?
    Can you be more detailed in your description of how they ski? Hooky like the tips pull you uphill, or tails won’t release?

I say just ski the piss out of them until you figure them out. Maybe it’s the carpenter not the tool?
    Oh, I'm definitely not trying to say I'm the best skier on earth and the skis are the problem.

I had Icelantic Nomad 95's, Line Sick Day 114's, and Line Mordecais before this.

As far as how they ride, they're really hooky. I have to really keep them on edge and in a turn, can't ride flat at all or they'll catch an edge and throw me. Feels like trying to balance on a knife edge on ice skates.
    Last edited by nomad_games; 09-29-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: ciiff notes.

Wow, that’s a lot of words man. We have short attention spans here and doubt anyone reads all that.
    Cliff notes version?

cliff note'd.

if I'm on them flat at ALL, they will catch an edge and throw me on my ass in a second. I feel like I'm having to balance on a knife edge on ice skates or something. I can't relax even for a second, have to constantly pay 100% attention to how I'm carving or they'll slam me to the ground.
    That’s what railed skis ski like.
    U.P.: up

As far as how the Wren 98's ski...They are super hooky. and by that, I mean, if I don't have them perfectly up on one edge in a smooth long turn, i.e. if I'm on them flat at ALL, they will catch an edge and throw me on my ass in a second. I feel like I'm having to balance on a knife edge on ice skates or something. I can't relax even for a second, have to constantly pay 100% attention to how I'm carving or they'll slam me to the ground. Beyond that, they are super stable at speed, like any speed, really solid, and weirdly poppy for such a heavy ski. I love the poppiness and didn't expect that at all. The one time I really liked them was dropping a straight line from the far ridge above 8 on Loveland. I kept expecting them to falter or chatter, as I definitely hit my personal top speed even while busting through chop, but they didn't. Beyond that, I've mostly felt like I was just trying not to catch an edge.
    hmm, sounds like they might have fucked up the edge bevel, or they left edges high.

for example:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...e-High-Moments

Definitely sounds like the tune. Perhaps railed or perhaps not detuned at all. Take them to a reputable shop and have them throw a true bar on them. I started a thread a while back on good shops for a tune in the Denver area, but I’ve had decent luck at evo...minus the lack of detune. And then, like funky said, detune aggressively outside of the contact/taper point. Personally, I like to keep a L and R ski, so I can detune the outside edge a little more but that may be more hassle than you require.

Frankly, if you want to get them perfect with minimal effort/education on your part, send them to ON3P and they’ll put the factory tune back on them.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Definitely sounds like the tune. Perhaps railed or perhaps not detuned at all. Take them to a reputable shop and have them throw a true bar on them. I started a thread a while back on good shops for a tune in the Denver area, but I’ve had decent luck at evo...minus the lack of detune. And then, like funky said, detune aggressively outside of the contact/taper point. Personally, I like to keep a L and R ski, so I can detune the outside edge a little more but that may be more hassle than you require.

Frankly, if you want to get them perfect with minimal effort/education on your part, send them to ON3P and they’ll put the factory tune back on them.
    it's not my style really to just pay money and have them magically get better without knowing why. I'm a wood and metal fabricator and former bike mechanic, so I usually fix stuff myself. I just recently started working at a shop with a ski tech that really knows his shit, I'll take them in tomorrow and talk to him about them and figure out what's going on.

side note, maybe ON3P is better, but it's always been my understanding that factory tune from most companies isn't that great.

ON3P is better
    FIFY