Page 418 of 594 FirstFirst ... 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 ... LastLast
Results 10,426 to 10,450 of 14839
    Finally got out this weekend on my Woodsman 108’s (187’s) after Scott fixed the bad tune at the factory. The skis now perform really well on groomed or harder snow...hookiness/grabiness gone.

I appreciate the nice balance of dampness and energy that ON3P skis exhibit. These are no different. They ski like a ski with metal at speed while maintaining an energetic playfulness on small features and in tight quarters.

Got them in some nice 12”+ deep snow and they floated well and skied very loose in the tails...not quite BG loose, but very acceptable. No hookiness in the deep stuff. In some of the more skied out terrain, they were very easy to manage and toss around.

They still feel like a ski that prefers to be in soft snow, and feel like they give up a bit of hard snow capability compared to something like the Katana K108. I could still let them run on the roughed up groomers at the end of the day and they did provide a good amount of dampening and suspension.

I feel that they like a neutral to slightly forward stance and are overall very easy to find the sweet spot and manage.

It is too bad that this ski has developed a bit of a jinxed reputation due to the bad factory tune on several early pairs. They really are versatile skis that blend the Wren stability with the Jeffery playful nature. Certainly a contender for the Swiss Army knife 10X spot in a quiver is you ski a snowier locale and get fresh snow often.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Finally got out this weekend on my Woodsman 108’s (187’s) after Scott fixed the bad tune at the factory. The skis now perform really well on groomed or harder snow...hookiness/grabiness gone.

I appreciate the nice balance of dampness and energy that ON3P skis exhibit. These are no different. They ski like a ski with metal at speed while maintaining an energetic playfulness on small features and in tight quarters.

Got them in some nice 12”+ deep snow and they floated well and skied very loose in the tails...not quite BG loose, but very acceptable. No hookiness in the deep stuff. In some of the more skied out terrain, they were very easy to manage and toss around.

They still feel like a ski that prefers to be in soft snow, and feel like they give up a bit of hard snow capability compared to something like the Katana K108. I could still let them run on the roughed up groomers at the end of the day and they did provide a good amount of dampening and suspension.

I feel that they like a neutral to slightly forward stance and are overall very easy to find the sweet spot and manage.

It is too bad that this ski has developed a bit of a jinxed reputation due to the bad factory tune on several early pairs. They really are versatile skis that blend the Wren stability with the Jeffery playful nature. Certainly a contender for the Swiss Army knife 10X spot in a quiver is you ski a snowier locale and get fresh snow often.

Stoked you got yours worked out, I love mine.

Pretty much mirrors my thoughts on them. Great daily driver in the PNW.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Skied my wren 108s at Snowbasin yesterday. Day after a 20" storm, everything from groomers to heavy chop to an unexpected rope drop. I hadn't skied them in anything deep until yesterday and I must say I was impressed for a 108 underfoot stiff ski. I see why several have said they use them as a travel ski.

And man, they ski chop better than anything I've ever been on without metal.

I'm starting to get a handle on them in the bumps too.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I'm starting to get a handle on them in the bumps too.
    I find them more than OK in bumps (given their width) - probably because of the relatively big radius. Especially if I keep "higher" line.

BG116T update - I skied them in some tracked up soft snow over the weekend (sled laps at a popular destination), and they are remarkably damp and stable. Not as damp and stable in chop as the standard layup (nor should they be) but they definitely punch above their weight class. Certainly everything you need from a dedicated touring ski. Scott definitely nailed it with the layup on these.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post

I had one of these early “bad tune” early skis. Felt so much hookiness/grab so I’m glad it’s been sorted! Definitely would be stoked to try the woodsmans again!

Just got these bad boys to the quiver. So stoked! Jeffery 116!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0924.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	365597

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by on3pbg View Post
    I had one of these early “bad tune” early skis. Felt so much hookiness/grab so I’m glad it’s been sorted! Definitely would be stoked to try the woodsmans again!

Just got these bad boys to the quiver. So stoked! Jeffery 116!Click image for larger version. 

Salivating for my Jeffery's with C&D tops. But the Mango really pops on a bigger platform.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by on3pbg View Post

Man those look beasty next to the BG. Lots of surface area on those. I would be so interested to try a J116!

I got a bit carried away a few weeks back and some quality decisions were made. I also figured TGR was best served with a hiatus on my part for a while, so I have been busy skiing, not making fusses online. Jubilations and win-win eh

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bg wood 198.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	365675
    I opted for Tectons as I already had them (came off the skis I decided to move on from). I really like how Tectons (and Vipecs) ski, where I find that they tour well. I also really dislike how tech toes feel, so opted out of ATK C-R14s that was the original plan.

I opted for BG108tours over BGtours to have slightly narrower shovels/skis. I did some steep ascents last year where the wide shovels just about made me shit myself in the steepest part, so wanted something a bit narrower. Also, for my diminuative stature BG108s will provide ample float. I am very excited to try slightly rounder BGs too, even if they are a bit narrower at 108.

Also, I have promblems expressing just how mind numbingly awesome the BG108t graphic is in person. I kinda liked the BG graphiced Kartel116s I had a few years back. I was not all the way sold on these when I ordered them, but the pictures online do not even remotely do them justice. GOAT in the sky indeed. Their layered graphic with so many awesome details is just... wow.

Name:	bg108tips.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	365678 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bg108tals.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	365679

I also bought a pair of wood108tours. I want to try a slightly rounder flexed wood108s, to have something a bit more approachable if my knee starts acting up again and to retire my M Free 108s as I prefer my wood108s to them aka so go all in on one shape. The look pretty damn nice as well, and are a fair bit rounder in their flex pattern than my wood108s. They make me very excited to get on them - they seem to be everything I hoped they'd be.

Name:	wood108tip.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	365681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood108tail.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	365682

As for my Wood108s and wood116s - the more I ski them the more I like them. Iggy mentioned that the number of skis with off tunes is 14 - of significantly more that have been made - so any stigma wrt to tune is def not warranted. Mine were in that number, and a quick base sanding and edge bevel check has transformed them. They are really fun in all kinds of soft snow and strong on groomers. Sure, skis with lots of titanal like Mantra102s or Katana108s have an even stronger edge grip, but Woodsman with titanal should bridge most of that gap if max grip is what you are after. I prefer the mount point of woodsmans to mantra102s any day of the week.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 03-04-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Man those look beasty next to the BG. Lots of surface area on those. I would be so interested to try a J116!
    The BGs are actually wider at their widest point around the rocker point in the shovels but yes overall SA is larger with the jefferys! Taking them out for a spin today in Revelstoke! I am excited.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Sure, skis with lots of titanal like Mantra102s or Katana108s have an even stronger edge grip, but Woodsman with titanal should bridge most of that gap if max grip is what you are after.
    Wait, you can get a Woodsman with titanal?

Quote Originally Posted by CouloirInTheLines View Post
    There was a custom Woodsman 102 Ti in the "Factory Finds" section last week.

I had high hopes for the Woods108 and maybe I just sucked at skiing yesterday but, I felt like a baby giraffe on the skis. Kartel/Jeffrey has been my DD along with BGs for years and was hoping for a somewhat easy transition. At times I thought I was figuring them out and then I'd find myself just really out of my comfort zone. I'm guessing the mount point, different turn shape, and a little more effective edge is just foreign to me?
    Going to give them a couple more days before going back to the Jeffrey and taking them out of the quiver.
    Two more skip the last.

Reach out to Iggy&crew and ask if they offer the model of your choice with titanal as of now - either through custom or if they happen to have any of the model/length you want in stock.

Titanal layup will be a custom option for 2022, and was supposed to be this year too for certain models (not sure if it survived Covid) - if only upon request. Not sure what models / lengths that they will offer it for in 2022 and on though, time will tell.

Damn, my wallet is happy that I missed the Factory Finds sale

Anyone get out on the Wrenegade 110 Pro?
    most questions about ON3Ps have been asked and answered at least once in this thread - so taking the time to scroll back usually yields gold.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPHILL View Post
    Preface: I’m 6ft, 240#. Strong skier . Lighter skiers may have a different experience.

I shared this earlier in the thread, but I was a big fan of the 185 flipcore Cochise as well. I just had my first day on the 186 Wren 110 Pros and I feel like my assumption was correct that it would be a similar evolution.

- Cochise has a lower swing weight, this does make them easier to pilot in moguls
    - the tip on the wrens is superior, this could be a preference but my initial feelings were that the taper on the tip of the Cochise, while helping with its ability to “rail”, didn’t help in soft snow and mixed conditions. Absolutely prefer the wren tip.

I still need more time on the Wrens 110 Pros for a full review, here are some of my initial thoughts:

- impressive levels of stability in all snow conditions
    - it feels like a Cochise underfoot but has that signature ON3P tip, seriously making crud and mixed snow conditions more enjoyable
    - as someone who really enjoys a flat tail, it’s there and it’s real. However it’s not nearly as punishing as let’s say the tail on the DPS L120, which is a 2x4. It will punish improper technique but has significantly more room play around with before “correcting you”.
    - they’re actually not the stiffest ON3P ski I’ve been on. The 193 Supergoats (Stiff layup) are stiffer, even with the metal in the Wren Pros.
    - significantly damper feeling that the Cochise, requires a bit more energy to bring alive, this is probably because of the less camber more flat
    - they STOMP, really awesome platform for landings

Overall I thought it was way more fun, all the benefits and none of the negatives. I’m hooked and stoked. Looking forward to bringing them to bigger terrain once low tide fills in a bit more here in the West.
    link You could also go back to the original post, and then browse through Caphills other posts to see if he has written more on it - I cannot recall - or reach out to him if you have more questions
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 03-04-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Awesome, thanks! Apologies for missing that post earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    As for my Wood108s and wood116s - the more I ski them the more I like them. Iggy mentioned that the number of skis with off tunes is 14 - of significantly more that have been made - so any stigma wrt to tune is def not warranted. Mine were in that number, and a quick base sanding and edge bevel check has transformed them. .
    Not to beat a dead horse I guarantee you there were way more than 14 bad tunes that left the factory last year and way more than 14 this year. Just the way it is. Most people, like me, who buy a ski with a bad tune simply take it to a local shop and have the base restructured. There is not a chance in the world that I would waste my time packaging a pair of skis and shipping them back to ON3P for a retune versus spending $75 and getting it taken care of.

Let's just say Iggy is aware of 14 customers who were unhappy enough to call and complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse I guarantee you there were way more than 14 bad tunes that left the factory last year and way more than 14 this year. Just the way it is. Most people, like me, who buy a ski with a bad tune simply take it to a local shop and have the base restructured. There is not a chance in the world that I would waste my time packaging a pair of skis and shipping them back to ON3P for a retune versus spending $75 and getting it taken care of.

Let's just say Iggy is aware of 14 customers who were unhappy enough to call and complain about it.
    I had the same hookiness problem with my 2019-20 WD96s, never felt so out of control on a ski in my life before, Iggy diagnosed it as a base bevel issue and offered to have me mail them back but just took them to a local shop for a tune - completely solved any issues.

I thought the reviews of them being between the Jeffreys and Wrens was spot on, preferred slightly softer snow but handled anything, very controlled even on true ice (slid a little but very predictable and not what they were designed to do), never felt out of control, could make any turn shape quite easily on anything remotely soft, even bumps were super easy, esp if the least bit soft. I've skied many ON3Ps ranging from the OG Jeffrey 110s to Wren 88s to BGs, and these fit right in the middle. I could easily see a WD96/BG116 quiver of two, maybe a metal variant such as the M5 if skiing truly icy day.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post

Yeah, you don't say... I thought all the points you made are/were fairly obvious given the context, but I guess my wording was not specific enough if you felt the need to elaborate on it. My bad.

Awesome, thanks! Apologies for missing that post earlier in the thread.
    sorry - didn't mean it as a call out. The threads' 418 pages and 10444 replies is more than a bit daunting wrt to getting info, especially as the search function is not magic. Glad I could help!

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Nothing here......... move along to our regularly scheduled programming. #on3pluv
    Last edited by mn_teleswede; 03-05-2021 at 04:06 PM.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Name:	2F589238-ACCA-4780-B1EA-95ABB03F7596.jpeg 
Views:	200 
Size:	505.5 KB 
ID:	366049

I think/hope I’m done shuffling skis for a bit. Had some pillow fights which made no absolute sense where I live and ski mostly. So I sold and bought some shorter wider skis for social pow days at the local hills.

Speaking of pow skis. I'm sadly selling the 189 C&Ds I picked up this season from SkiLyft. Never even got a chance to mount them up and ski them, but my new BSL is a full cm bigger than the current inserts and I don't want to drill anymore holes in these beautiful skis.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-27-Tour-Wraps

Picked up some 182 Woodsman 108's from steveski off here. Got a full day on them today in PNW-style dust on crust, put them at -1cm from the line (I think these were 2020 ones before the line was moved back). Overall I liked them quite a bit. I was skiing the 184 Moment Wildcat 108s before and felt a little bit undergunned on them when I was in deeper pow.

Compared to the Moment's I feel like these definitely do give up a bit of hard snow performance. Specifically edge hold on firmer snow. Anything moderately soft and they felt just as playful as the Wildcats. They definitely feel more turny than the Wildcats. In chop, they definitely are more damp than the Wildcats and I can ski faster, but on groomers I feel that the Wildcats have a higher top speed. In bumps, I liked the Wildcats better I won't lie, but both are quite easy to move around.

The main reason I picked these up was I felt very undergunned on the 184 Wildcat 108s on a heavy pow day this year and I thought the Woodsman might float better. haven't had a chance to test this out yet.

I currently have (and love) a pair of Woodsman 96s. I use them when there hasn't been much fresh snow, dust on crust, etc, and pair them with a Praxis Concept for pow. I'm looking to get something to slot in the middle between the two for days where it snowed a ton a few days before and hasn't quite hardened yet but is very very chopped up. I ski Tahoe, so think that 80" storm we got on a Thursday a month or so ago and I was skiing Sunday.
    I was considering the Wren 102 Ti. The waist is what I am going for and I want something more on the chargier side, hence the wren TI over say a woodsman 108. My problem is the shortest length it comes in is 179. I'm 5'5" 130 and ski the 172 woodsman and 177 praxis fine, but I think an "ON3P 179" with TI might be too much. Any thoughts or experiences? Anything else I might want to look at for this use case? Thanks!

Did anyone purchase Woodsman 108 Tours in 182cm and regret it? If so, I'm interested in buying.