Page 148 of 599 FirstFirst ... 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,700 of 14965
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic.A View Post
    I don't think I'd say significantly better on the firm. It skied very similar to the W98 in all respect. I am certain I rode a 189 at WWSRA. I fucking love my W98. Mine are thrashed, and no questions asked I'll retire the 98s and replace them with the 96s.
    For clarity, I don't believe we have a 189cm Wrenegade 96 in the 2019 demo fleet. Only 179cm/184cm right now.

The changes are minor - but in spots you will feel them going back and forth. Platform underfoot is the same, but it is stiffer around where the rocker starts in the tips and behind the heel, and then tips are the same.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Will I be able to demo at Bachelor with MTN Labs on my feet or do I need to show up with some Alpine soles?? Excited to try some skis!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

What is this code ya’ll speak of?! PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by taoslcl View Post
    Will I be able to demo at Bachelor with MTN Labs on my feet or do I need to show up with some Alpine soles?? Excited to try some skis!
    You will be good now. 2019 skis and on have WTR bindings. MT fleet has a couple pairs with WTR as well.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    What is this code ya’ll speak of?! PM me!
    TGR.Mag.Wren98
    TGR.Mag.Wren108
    TGR.Mag.Kartel98
    TGR.Mag.Kartel108
    TGR.Mag.Kartel116
    TGR.Mag.Jessie
    TGR.Mag.Steeple
    TGR.Mag.BillyGoat

All still live. Discount varies by model.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

The demo fleet is equipped with attack2 14s, which all appeared to have a sliding afd and adjustable toe height. So I bet you're good with the mtn labs.

Quick reviews of what I got to ride at the Stevens St. Patty's day demo.

6' 170#, 35, creaky knees, probably go a little faster than I should.

Kartel 108 186- great ski. I totally get why most of the employees use this as a DD. Surprisingly stable straightlining groomers, super quick edge to edge, nice in shitty snow bumps - the tail rocker lets you break out of a carve anytime, very balanced in the air and stable enough to straightline over SF (S%*tF&*k) conditions. Out of respect, I didn't take any rails on them, but the big park jumps were great. I'd be happy to replace my 4frnt turbos with them. I aspire to having some more switch game and playful style on firm days. Would certainly be an easy ski for teaching on the bunny hill.

Kartel 116 186 - I was most interested in this one. Not the right day to try them. I have no idea what they are like in pow. Great on groomers, even icy ones, balanced in the air, manageable in bumps. Found a whiff of soft snow in some tight trees, and they floated week old "pow" well, but it wasn't much of a test. I suspect I will always slightly prefer a billy goat in pow. I don't really look for a more playful ski in deep snow - I make a habit of skiing fast in pow to maximize runs before it's tracked out - higher angle turns, more forward lean, etc. However, I was impressed with how easy the K116 was to ski. It is a much more lively ski than the 13/14 Caylor. Certainly I would find some appeal to a K116 setup as a travel ski confident that it could handle anything. I would really like to ski a pair of 191s back to back on a powder day with my billy goats on a steep tree run. However, my own style in pow definitely has a directional bias. If I had to give up billy goats for the Kartel116, I could make do. However, when I owned both 191 BG and the 191 Caylor, I barely skied the Caylor. The goat was just the better ski for me. I bet the same applies here 4-5 years later. But if the right deal on some 191s comes along, I might cave.

Wren 114 184. The tank. Heavy on my feet. It will carve. Doesn't really want to slash or pivot. I found the same "pow" as I did on the K116 and I made half the turns. They can turn, but you have to be against the front of your boot bossing them around. I think they require a slightly stronger skier than me. I'd love to get them into an open bowl. The tip looks really big and floaty. Fun to straightline groomers, but they really didn't feel like my ski.

Should have tried: Magnus 102, K98, Wren 96, 108 Every time I came back to the booth, they were out of those models. Toss up between the magnus and the K108 for a daily/bumps/park ski. I suspect I'd prefer the Kartel because it's more biased toward performance outside the park. Magnus 102 looked damn good, though.

Also, with the problems I've been having with my BG tune, I'm bummed I didn't take a lap on the new 189 BG. Just to see how mine SHOULD be skiing. Alas. The demo crew were great and super helpful as expected. If i can bring myself to spend more than $300 on a pair of park skis, I'll get some K108s. Super impressed with that ski.

They didn't have a C & D, but I happily would have taken them out on the firm snow to see how they did.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    35, creaky knees
    Bwaaahaaaahaaa.

that is all

(p.s. awesome input)

The demo fleet is equipped with attack2 14s, which all appeared to have a sliding afd and adjustable toe height. So I bet you're good with the mtn labs.

Quick reviews of what I got to ride at the Stevens St. Patty's day demo.

6' 170#, 35, creaky knees, probably go a little faster than I should.

Kartel 108 186- great ski. I totally get why most of the employees use this as a DD. Surprisingly stable straightlining groomers, super quick edge to edge, nice in shitty snow bumps - the tail rocker lets you break out of a carve anytime, very balanced in the air and stable enough to straightline over SF (S%*tF&*k) conditions. Out of respect, I didn't take any rails on them, but the big park jumps were great. I'd be happy to replace my 4frnt turbos with them. I aspire to having some more switch game and playful style on firm days. Would certainly be an easy ski for teaching on the bunny hill.

Kartel 116 186 - I was most interested in this one. Not the right day to try them. I have no idea what they are like in pow. Great on groomers, even icy ones, balanced in the air, manageable in bumps. Found a whiff of soft snow in some tight trees, and they floated week old "pow" well, but it wasn't much of a test. I suspect I will always slightly prefer a billy goat in pow. I don't really look for a more playful ski in deep snow - I make a habit of skiing fast in pow to maximize runs before it's tracked out - higher angle turns, more forward lean, etc. However, I was impressed with how easy the K116 was to ski. It is a much more lively ski than the 13/14 Caylor. Certainly I would find some appeal to a K116 setup as a travel ski confident that it could handle anything. I would really like to ski a pair of 191s back to back on a powder day with my billy goats on a steep tree run. However, my own style in pow definitely has a directional bias. If I had to give up billy goats for the Kartel116, I could make do. However, when I owned both 191 BG and the 191 Caylor, I barely skied the Caylor. The goat was just the better ski for me. I bet the same applies here 4-5 years later. But if the right deal on some 191s comes along, I might cave.

Wren 114 184. The tank. Heavy on my feet. It will carve. Doesn't really want to slash or pivot. I found the same "pow" as I did on the K116 and I made half the turns. They can turn, but you have to be against the front of your boot bossing them around. I think they require a slightly stronger skier than me. I'd love to get them into an open bowl. The tip looks really big and floaty. Fun to straightline groomers, but they really didn't feel like my ski.

Should have tried: Magnus 102, K98, Wren 96, 108 Every time I came back to the booth, they were out of those models. Toss up between the magnus and the K108 for a daily/bumps/park ski. I suspect I'd prefer the Kartel because it's more biased toward performance outside the park. Magnus 102 looked damn good, though.

Also, with the problems I've been having with my BG tune, I'm bummed I didn't take a lap on the new 189 BG. Just to see how mine SHOULD be skiing. Alas. The demo crew were great and super helpful as expected. If i can bring myself to spend more than $300 on a pair of park skis, I'll get some K108s. Super impressed with that ski.

They didn't have a C & D, but I happily would have taken them out on the firm snow to see how they did.
    I have the K116. Got it thinking about pow switch landings and overall versatility after pow days. Found out I don't land switch in pow tbh. Since you and I are the same age and sound like similar style (I ski forward even against my best instincts), can you describe how the K116 pivots, slash turns etc vs goat (prolly this is the umpteenth time this comparison has been made).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

How does the current bi radius Kartel 108 compare to next years hybrid sidecut K108??

This years is a little more carvey, and next years is a little more straight skiing?

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Jeez, since we’re apparently all in our 30’s maybe ON3P should start doing promo videos on the magic carpet. “These ski switch great when teaching your kid!” ;-)

SupreChicken - have you skied any Wrens before? Trying to put your 114 tank reaction into perspective. Especially since I’m pretty sure the 108 is my favorite ski ever.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Jeez, since we’re apparently all in our 30’s maybe ON3P should start doing promo videos on the magic carpet. “These ski switch great when teaching your kid!” ;-)

SupreChicken - have you skied any Wrens before? Trying to put your 114 tank reaction into perspective. Especially since I’m pretty sure the 108 is my favorite ski ever.
    Nope. First day on a wren. Owned 4frnt Rens, but sold them. Didn’t really like that ski. After how good the k108 was, I sort of lost interest in skiing the wren 108. That, and I just could not time a return to the stable when they had one available.
    Last edited by SupreChicken; 03-20-2018 at 09:14 AM. Reason: forgotten words

Nope. First day on a wren. Owned 4frnt Rens, but sold them. Didn’t really like that ski. After how good the k108 was, I sort of lost interest in skiing the wren 108. That, and I just could time a return to the stable when they had one available.
    I was skiing the w108 and awaiting a k108. We should have just skied together and done our own swapping.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I have the K116. Got it thinking about pow switch landings and overall versatility after pow days. Found out I don't land switch in pow tbh. Since you and I are the same age and sound like similar style (I ski forward even against my best instincts), can you describe how the K116 pivots, slash turns etc vs goat (prolly this is the umpteenth time this comparison has been made).

I don’t know how they differ in 3D snow. Kartel is easier to turn, but a bit less stable on firm groomers. The Kartel seems much easier to ski slowly. I bet the Kartel is less of a PITA in icy bumps. I’m sure the Kartel is a slightly better option for that special sidecountry lap that ends in the park. That’s what appeals to me about that ski - I ski a lot of laps like that. Kartel requires a slightly more centered upright stance for optimal performance, and that new school style comes easily to me on firm snow and I struggle with it in soft snow. But then if you’re new school enough to have switch game in the pow, you probably already have a centered stance...

Iggy likely has much more useful insight...

Anyone want to trade their 184 Wren108 for my black topsheet 189 Wren98?

I have a set of 108 Wrens and have taken some laps on the new 114, and have skied the old Wren before it got skimmed down to boot.

New 184 Wren 114 is a crusher. Runs over small children and animals like the original. Mincemeat of variable snow - it blasts through it, chops it up, or slices it into pieces to later demolish. Metal in this is going to be insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    I have a set of 108 Wrens and have taken some laps on the new 114, and have skied the old Wren before it got skimmed down to boot.

New 184 Wren 114 is a crusher. Runs over small children and animals like the original. Mincemeat of variable snow - it blasts through it, chops it up, or slices it into pieces to later demolish. Metal in this is going to be insane.
    Okay, so it's more like the old Wren 112 but with the new tip design and more tail rocker? I'm sort of thinking of doing it in a touring layup and mounting shifts on there for a slackcountry setup.

I'm entertaining trade ideas, I have a nearly flawless 11/12 191 Wren with Griffins one mount 310 ish. Strangely, I don't think these have been on snow. Quiver overlap keeps me from drilling for my 325 BSL. Trying to help a friend get into a pair of newer/ shorter Wrens, maybe Kartels. PM for more info. and FYI:
    "The 11/12 is the most...aggressive wren of the bunch. This is mostly due to the mounting location, which looking back we went a little overboard on. It went from the equal height & length tips and tails to a flat tail and an extended, shark nosed tip. We moved the the mounting location back to maintain the same effective edge, resulting in a mount that was -14cm from true center. They hand flexed a bit stiffer than the 09/10 & 10/11 skis just because, even accounting for it, the full twin of the older models just made them feel slightly softer. But as far as flex when actually skiing it, it was the same as the 10/11. These skis like to go really, really fast and basically don't want to stray more than 15 degrees from either side of the fall line. For the right person, they are a lot of fun, but not many people that want something that aggressive anymore." -Iggy
    Last edited by Kootenai; 03-20-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Along those same lines I’m trying to figure out which current ski is most like my wrens here with the grizzlycorn top sheet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2592.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	229091

These might be my favorite all time skis. Pretty easy to ski yet also incredibly stable. The tip and tail is more squared off and they have a turned up tail.

I picked up the pair of wrens on the left last week from someone local. Totally different ski. Different shape tip and almost a fully flat tail, they hand flex a ton stiffer. I could get them down the hill but I was a bit scared for my life the whole way. I did feel ok on them by the end of the day but I don’t think I want to hold onto these.

I’m really not sure which year or vintage either of these are.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I picked up the pair of wrens on the left last week from someone local. Totally different ski. Different shape tip and almost a fully flat tail, they hand flex a ton stiffer. I could get them down the hill but I was a bit scared for my life the whole way. I did feel ok on them by the end of the day but I don’t think I want to hold onto these.
    Nice review, my concerns exactly, seems to not be much of a tree ski for the PNW...... The NON Grizzlycorns with the Markers are the infamous 11/12's previously referenced.

OK, that's good to know at least. Wish I had done a little more research before buying them but they were only $150 flat so not a big deal. How do the current wrens compare?
    Last edited by dfinn; 03-20-2018 at 10:28 AM.

OK, that's good to know at least. Wish I had done a little more research before buying them but they were only $150 flat so not a big deal. How to the current wrens compare?
    I have 16/17 184 108 Wrens with an extra layer of carbon. They are amazing. I was worried they would be too short, not the case. Plow through the crud, fun in the pow (not as much as BG). Less than 6" they are my Schweitzer daily driver.

Okay, even with a touring layup those 114's look pretty damn heavy. Definitely a resort only ski, I'm thinking.

Okay, even with a touring layup those 114's look pretty damn heavy. Definitely a resort only ski, I'm thinking.
    I am thinking some Noboard knock off skis would be good for closing day. Good for some spoofing and epic wipeouts. Really get to show off how soulful you are. ON3P snow blades with veneer tops, do it!

ON3P SKIS Discussion

These look extremely similar to the custom 2015 191 Wrens I just sold yesterday... they seem to have more taper, and a bit more rocker. Very similar dimensions, just a little shorter. Probably float and surf better, but still fall line seeking missiles

I have no doubt the new ones will be beastmasters. Are you guys ready to communicate with animals, lions and bears and shit? Get the new Wren 114 if you think you can handle the metamorphosis.

Along those same lines I’m trying to figure out which current ski is most like my wrens here with the grizzlycorn top sheet

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2592.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	229091

These might be my favorite all time skis. Pretty easy to ski yet also incredibly stable. The tip and tail is more squared off and they have a turned up tail.

I’m really not sure which year or vintage either of these are.
    I posted the following in a Gear Swap thread earlier today, Iggy can correct any errors:

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated
    Basic summary. Stiffness between all versions is similar with the exceptions listed below.
    09/10 and 10/11: full twin, mounted -9cm from true center, 113mm underfoot, turn radius around 30m, 181 and 191 lengths
    11/12: elongated shark nose, nearly flat tail, mount at -14cm. 181 and 191 lengths. Same width and turn radius. The most aggressive Wren.
    12/13 and 13/14: shortened the nose, lengthened the tail, gave the tail a low rocker profile. Mount at -9.75cm. 181 and 191 lengths. Same width and turn radius. Makes it a very balanced directional ski, powerful but not overpowering.
    14/15 and 15/16: Changed lengths to 176cm and 186cm, tighter turn radius (~27m), 112mm underfoot. Basically the same ski, just in different sizes with a tighter turn radius. Added a 181cm in 15/16 (I think)
    16/17 and 17/18: New tail rocker profile (much more rocker), slightly softer flex, tighter turn radius, waist decreased to 108mm, lengths changed to 179, 184, and 189cm.

There were some other minor tweaks to materials, construction, etc in there but that's the general gist of it.
    I think your Grizzlycorns are 09/10 or 10/11 and your new beasts are 11/12.