Page 2 of 594 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Holy shit I just scrolled through to the last page to find the Charlie Murphy kids ski!? Can I get a pair of 141's in pink please? (seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Mmmmm. Looks like a good lineup. The new Wren 98 sounds good but I am also intrigued by the Wren 88. Might be the perfect midwest tele ski to replace my ancient much beloved Sickbirds. I ride 180 Brahma's with training heels and they rock but they'd be a bit too demanding for me on teleboards. Can't wait to hear some reviews! To me these seem like targeted Brahma and Bonafide killers for people that need/want bigger guns...slightly longer turning radius with ON3P's ridiculous dampness for maching. Assuming they rip on ice/hardpack these could be great.
    FWIW...the Wren 88 is STUPID FUN. Yes I am biased, but holy crap does that thing rail. It is actually stiffer than the Wren 98
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Holy shit I just scrolled through to the last page to find the Charlie Murphy kids ski!? Can I get a pair of 141's in pink please? (seriously)
    Most bomber "kid" ski on the market...it is made just like all our other skis. As for a pink topsheet who knows what custom colors we may offer next Fall! For your daughter or do you just want the best looking snowblades on the hill?

Blurry phone shot just now of the Demos I have in CO for 16/17 so far. The fleet will be growing and swapping out with the current models over the next couple of months.

L to R (excuse them not being grouped properly as I am already drinking for the weekend):

Wren 98 - 184
    Kartel 98 - 181
    Magnus - 181
    Kartel 108 - 186
    Wren 108 (Extra Stiff) - 184

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016ON3PDemos.jpg 
Views:	2995 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	176696

Don't sleep on the current 15/16 gear if you are interested, though. Can't go wrong either way.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Don't sleep on the current 15/16 gear if you are interested, though. Can't go wrong either way.
    Speaking of... I literally JUST paid for a 184 BG. Got a deal that I couldn't pass up. That's 2 ON3P skis in the quiver now (Jeffrey). Will the Wren 88 or 98 be number 3?

Me wonders how comparable the Wren 108 would be to the Vicik, and similarly the Wren 98 to the Tychoon?

Quote Originally Posted by gepmeow View Post
    Me wonders how comparable the Wren 108 would be to the Vicik, and similarly the Wren 98 to the Tychoon?
    As I recall, there was a dialog about that in the previous thread (2014/15). They weren't on my radar, so I can't recall the specifics, but you'll find a lot of useful conversation over there.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    As I recall, there was a dialog about that in the previous thread (2014/15). They weren't on my radar, so I can't recall the specifics, but you'll find a lot of useful conversation over there.

Cheers,
    Thom
    nope, haven’t seen any discussion about comparing these models yet.
    I’m mainly wondering how comparably the 186/184 lengths would ski given their listed spec similarities:

Vicik (106)
    186cm
    136/106/126
    26.6m turning radius
    155cm effective edge
    2.29kg/ski

Wren 108
    184cm
    138/108/126
    27.5m turning radius
    153cm effective edge
    2.25kg/ski

Tychoon (96)
    186cm
    126/96/126
    26.5m turning radius
    155cm effective edge
    2.02kg/ski

Wren 98
    184cm
    128/98/118
    24.1m turning radius
    153cm effective edge
    2.12kg/ski

The main difference to my knowledge is that the wren 108 and 98 are stiffer than the vicik or tychoon. Otherwise, subtle refinements to sidecut/taper shape and rocker profile.

Quote Originally Posted by mikdes26 View Post
    Have you skied the Blizzard Bonafide? I wonder how they'd compare.
    What is the Bonafide but a relatively easy to turn, no-brains, ski pick for average conditions days for light to mid weight riders.

If these are anything like my previous ON3P then they are more stout, damp, directional and responsive.

Do lots of Kegal exercises, stretch in the morning, get lots of sleep the night before, make sure your boots are well fit, and show there mountain what getting beaten by a good bamboo ski feels like.

I just made all that shit up. But it's probably true. Can't wait to get my next ski in veneer option

FYI the Bonafide is my wife's easy day ski. The Billy Goat is her 3D snow ski. The Vicik is my everyday ski.
    Last edited by puregravity; 02-14-2016 at 04:05 PM.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    What is the Bonafide but a relatively easy to turn, no-brains, ski pick for average conditions days for light to mid weight riders.

If these are anything like my previous ON3P then they are more stout, damp, directional and responsive.

Do lots of Kegal exercises, stretch in the morning, get lots of sleep the night before, make sure your boots are well fit, and show there mountain what getting beaten by a good bamboo ski feels like.

I just made all that shit up. But it's probably true. Can't wait to get my next ski in veneer option

FYI the Bonafide is my wife's easy day ski. The Billy Goat is her 3D snow ski. The Vicik is my everyday ski.
    I picked the Bones exactly for their versatility. I can ski them anywhere. My new BGs will be for the deep and crud days. I was just wondering how the 98 Wren compares to the Bonafide, especially on the firm steeps. The Bones edge well and initiate turns well. Decent stability and can charge some... some...

Also, I find the Bonafide to be good despite my 200 pounds, though I suspect the Wren would be a better fit... Maybe next year since I just bought some BGs. Regarding average conditions, I'm in Oregon. Every day is pretty much average.

I suppose if money and inventory was no concern, then ski makers would make a profile matrix composed of skis of different lengths and within that selection, skis of different flex. If you're 200lbs then the Wrenegades might be just the ticket if you are in PNW snow. My Viciks (veneer a bit more stout) are really awesome when things get tracked out at Whistler. Can't really see using them further inland where a lighter ski confers equal pleasure.

I really need those 88 width Wrens for the refrozen hardpack days around here.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

To bad the Canadian dollar sucks all the fun out of cross border shopping at the moment.

The similar ski, let's say a locally made Foon, is going to be a lot cheaper for me.

Perhaps ON3P can make a reorder special discount offer for Canuckistan customers that ordered skis in years back. Please, pretty please

If the Wren 98 flex is anything close to the current 112, which it sounds like is the case, then it can charge way, way harder than a Bonafide. But of course it won't be as smooth in bumps if you actually try to ski them in a traditional style and not just make big turns over them (I tend to prefer the latter anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If the Wren 98 flex is anything close to the current 112, which it sounds like is the case, then it can charge way, way harder than a Bonafide. But of course it won't be as smooth in bumps if you actually try to ski them in a traditional style and not just make big turns over them (I tend to prefer the latter anyway).
    My bump skiing days ended 20 years ago. Something stable at speed is right up my alley.

It must just be me, but I never found any of my ON3Ps demanding.... Bonafides are meh just like the Mantra and that is why they are so popular with the masses...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    It must just be me, but I never found any of my ON3Ps demanding.... Bonafides are meh just like the Mantra and that is why they are so popular with the masses...
    The Bonafide is an easy ski that does everything well, but nothing great. That said, I know I can take it on a trip as my only ski and never find myself really hating life. Having a Wren or something like a Hoji really appeals to me, though, because I know I can do things with those that I can't with anything in my current quiver.

Ok kids; i've been searching up down left right and sideways for a good review of the Steeple 112. I've found basically squat. A little bit on the 102.
    So who's skiing the 112? More importantly touring on it as an everday type ski?
    The regular Billy obviously looks and sounds phenomenal but weighs too much for me to want to tour on.
    Are ON3P's listed weight specs usually pretty accurate? Listed weight for the 112 @ 189 is 2.15 kg per ski which is just about my limit.

2016/2017 - ON3P SKIS Thread (Finally)

No experience on the Steeple, but I have 2015 Wren 102s in 176. On my scale the right one weighed 2065g, left one weighed 2078g. Pretty impressive that there's only 13g difference between the set. List weight is 2.05kg, so mine were within 1% of list weight. Also have 176 BG but didn't weigh them before mounting bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Giant View Post
    Ok kids; i've been searching up down left right and sideways for a good review of the Steeple 112. I've found basically squat.
    Have you looked through the old thread? There are a few recent reviews. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...56#post4662056

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    If the Wren 98 flex is anything close to the current 112, which it sounds like is the case, then it can charge way, way harder than a Bonafide.
    It is very close to the Wren 112 flex. It isn't quite as stiff due to there being less material, but it does have the same layup with the same glass/double carbon.

As other shave already said, the new lineup looks great. So, maybe another comparison? How does the new Wren 108 compare to the Blizzard Cochise? Look like somewhat similar profiles, turn radius, etc. Bamboo versus a metal layup. Wondering if the Wren 108 is easier to break out of a turn or harder. Also wondering, how is the Wren 108 in powder? Or if that was going to be a key consideration, would one be better with the Kartel 108?

Quote Originally Posted by easternskr View Post
    As other shave already said, the new lineup looks great. So, maybe another comparison? How does the new Wren 108 compare to the Blizzard Cochise? Look like somewhat similar profiles, turn radius, etc. Bamboo versus a metal layup. Wondering if the Wren 108 is easier to break out of a turn or harder. Also wondering, how is the Wren 108 in powder? Or if that was going to be a key consideration, would one be better with the Kartel 108?
    Wren 108 is a LOT better in powder than the previous versions of the ski (113, 112). That is one of the reasons we changed the rocker profile on it. As for comparing to the Cochise...I know there are some members of the Loveland crew that could chime in on that and have skied both.

From what I heard last weekend my favorite line was "it is what the Cochise wishes it was". Whatever that means

Wren 108 vs Kartel 108 = Wren is more directional, longer turn radius, stiffer, and has a different rocker profile (similar tip rocker, less tail rocker than Kartel 108). Also is mounted farther back on the ski to match sidecut (-8-ish back from center depending on size). Kartel 108 is more centered, medium flex, and more tail rocker than Wren 108. Mounted at -4-ish back from center depending on size.
    Last edited by PowTron; 02-15-2016 at 10:56 AM.

I've only skied the old Cochise (before it got camber) and the Wren 112 - haven't yet been on the Wren 108. But FWIW:
    -the old Cochise was way easier to break out of a turn than the Wren 112. It was less stable running bases flat. The newer Cochise may be different since it has camber now. The initial things I've heard is that the Wren 108 is much more responsive and quick onto edge than the 112, too.
    -the Cochise was very slightly more damp (metal) but had way less life and pop. I'd expect this to be the same with the newer Cochise vs. Wren 108

Paging cooks, I know he's skied the Wren 108 and I think he's been on a newer Cochise too.

[QUOTE][/Have you looked through the old thread? There are a few recent reviews. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...t4662056QUOTE]

Thanks Kai,
    I'd been keeping an eye on that thread, don't know how Galibier's post had slipped by being so recent . . .
    Anyone else?