Page 403 of 599 FirstFirst ... 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 ... LastLast
Results 10,051 to 10,075 of 14972

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Just chiming into to say I believe - after skiing five different ON3P varietals w/ zero tune issues - my first day yesterday on my W108s was a struggle and I’ve finally been bitten by tune complications. The tails were pushing back and gripping in strenuous ways. I felt way too forward on the skis and battled the tails all day (mounted on the line). I typically like stiff tails and love my Wren 96 and 108s and bought the woodsman to have a more playful and washy tail. Completely opposite experience yesterday. I also have Woodsman 96s and clicked with them upon first turn which was my consistent ON3P experience until yesterday. Plan to detune the tail contact points and hope for a brighter future. I didn’t have a gummy w me yesterday so just fought them all day trying to convince myself it was technique but I can’t imagine so given folks describe this ski as “easy.” Tails felt like I-beams and would not release. I’d agree this can be an intuitive and playful ski given my 96 experience but the 108s kicked my ass yesterday something fierce and my back is a mess today after trying to will them into submission. Was lots of tight technical skiing which added to the struggle and was hard to really figure out what was up. Wasn’t all bad:

Name:  IMG_2884.JPG
Views: 578
Size:  51.1 KB
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Gosh that graphic is sick, what length?
    Agreed. Way better than last years.....loving the textured tops on mine from 2020. Muy duro.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    I typically like stiff tails and love my Wren 96 and 108s and bought the woodsman to have a more playful and washy tail.
    Tune issues notwithstanding, what is it about the woodsman mount point, dimensions, flex pattern or rocker profile that is creating these expectations? Particularly the loose tail compared to the current wren?

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Tune issues notwithstanding, what is it about the woodsman mount point, dimensions, flex pattern or rocker profile that is creating these expectations? Particularly the loose tail compared to the current wren?
    I am no engineer. My understanding was the intent of the Woodsman was to add a bit of playfulness and forgiveness to the Wren chassis. I find my 96 Woodsmans to be less demanding and easier to toss around in the trees than the Wren 96 which seems to crave the fall line more fully. Thinking the Woodsman design slightly more prone to easier pivot-type turns. Handy in tight ec trees. I equate this type of ski to having a tail that is more easy to wash/release. So yes more tail rocker + further forward mount point vs. Wren has me believing it would behave more playfully and generally be less demanding. Certainly not a ski that would have a tail flex that felt WAY stiffer than my Wrens. Especially given the oh so scientific hand flex comparison and my experience on the Woodsman 96. Wanted that ski, just wider. The 108s felt like I should be back 2cm+ so I think the tails were just biting in a way that was tossing me into the front seat and causing the tips to dive. It felt like the ski wasn’t flexing at all and requiring a ton of effort to engage and turn. Tough combo with a free heel.
    Uno mas

Not the W108 but the W116. The first time I skied them (on groomers no snow...) I found them surprisingly easy to turn. Tails would do what ever I want with them carve, slarve, slide. I will note that before I put them on the snow I detuned the tips and tails a bit from contact point out.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Not the W108 but the W116. The first time I skied them (on groomers no snow...) I found them surprisingly easy to turn. Tails would do what ever I want with them carve, slarve, slide. I will note that before I put them on the snow I detuned the tips and tails a bit from contact point out.
    Def not my experience but was my expectation. A quandary for sure. Holding out faith the detune will be transformational.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Tough combo with a free heel.
    I'm not an engineer either, but I made tele turns for a decade or so and I found that the wider the skis got, the harder it was to fully engage the sidecut, particularly in tight trees where you can't really let them run to get up on edge. I can see the woodsman being more fun and playful in narrow widths than the wren since you can really engage and carve shorter radius turns, something the wren does not do without considerable effort.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

W116 here and Wren 108. Feel much more centered on the Woods. Don’t have to be nearly as deliberate to get the tails to wash.

I’m a directional skier so I felt a bit forward initially. In tight spaces they are less pushy than the Wren but I get along great with the latter there too.

My W116’s remind me of the BG in terms of lending versatility to turn shape. Push forward and they hook up, press on the heels a little and they are more slarvy.

Comparing turn feel to the Wren I feel less locked in with a responsive release button if I want it on the tails. I ski a w116 192 and a Wren 108 189 and a BG 189.

Neither are punishers for laziness but I always feel on top of the Woods regardless. Just a really friendly ski.

Skied my sons 177 W108 the other day for a couple and they felt very similar to my 116’s in terms of being friendly and turn versatility.

Super damp, super stable, and predictable. Detune def allowed em to smear more. Recommend that.

I usually grab my Wrens as a daily just because they are so fun at speed and in the fall line. Super damp and predictable, so solid, lot of tail for the latter part of the turn.

Get both if you are contemplating. Each is so golden regardless, Solid, damp, so good underfoot.

Woods aren’t jibby which I was concerned about as I didn’t get along with Bibbys for that reason. They ski like a directional ski with a more centered feel for slarving if that makes sense.

Specific to taper and dimension, rocker, etc I can’t speak to that in terms of a techy explanation, just overall impressions. Both models have a great green light zone but i’d say the red light on the Woods is more accessible if you need it. Both charge hard but the Woods allow for a more lax style if that’s what ur into. Locked in tho my W116’s are guns in their sweet spot, hard chargers for sure.

Last edited by Tahoepa; 01-23-2021 at 06:36 PM.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

I'm not an engineer either, but I made tele turns for a decade or so and I found that the wider the skis got, the harder it was to fully engage the sidecut, particularly in tight trees where you can't really let them run to get up on edge. I can see the woodsman being more fun and playful in narrow widths than the wren since you can really engage and carve shorter radius turns, something the wren does not do without considerable effort.
    I find the Wren 108 a joy tele. They just accelerate a bit too aggressively in tight trees unless there is enough soft snow to help tamper the speed. I also telemark Lotus 120s and - years ago - Billy Goats so I am not unfamiliar with wider platforms. What I experienced yesterday had nothing to do with an inability to get on edge and find the radius. That edge was instantly trying to ninjutsu me into the ground. I played w them a bunch on groomers too back to the lift trying to figure out what was up and took a ton of effort to turn them, especially telemark. Standing alpine turns took all my heel effort to arc smooth turns. SO much effort to get them to engage. Fighting me and fighting me.

Sorry if my engineer comment came off dickish.
    Uno mas

Name:  thumbnail_image0 (4).jpg
Views: 957
Size:  91.2 KB

This ski is fun as shit in a foot of snow. It's not demanding, I would actually consider it forgiving. The tails are strong if you get backseat but it doesn't punish you. Super easy to pivot in anything soft. I detuned from the 2 in before the contact point. First with the bastard file and followed it with a gummy. Never got it on Anything firm but on the small amount of grooming at Alta they felt very predictable. I won't be DDing these skis so I doubt they'll see frim snow but holy shit was today fun....

I'm not exactly rad enough to be posting skiing vids on TGR, but I was so stoked on the C&D's at Alta today that I figured I'd share. They are total surf boards which is super fun in untracked but it takes some extra attention to keep them under control in chop or more technical stuff. I really have to drive them hard to not pick up a silly amount of speed. Hopefully we have more days like this soon so I can continue to dial them in.

Also the cat camo top gets loads of compliments in lift lines (which I spent a lot of time standing in today).

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post

I'm not exactly rad enough to be posting skiing vids on TGR, but I was so stoked on the C&D's at Alta today that I figured I'd share. They are total surf boards which is super fun in untracked but it takes some extra attention to keep them under control in chop or more technical stuff. I really have to drive them hard to not pick up a silly amount of speed. Hopefully we have more days like this soon so I can continue to dial them in.

Also the cat camo top gets loads of compliments in lift lines (which I spent a lot of time standing in today).
    Strong work teleing those beasts! Rockin’ the T Race? I tele skied for 15y. Best thing I could have ever done to find my balance point on skis.......

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post

Nice!!

I was on my CDs today at Wolf Creek and it just reminded me of what absolute surf monsters they are. It’s been 1.5 seasons or so since my knee surgery and today was the first day I felt like “myself”.

Love the CD stoke.
    You should have been here yesterday!

I've never actually seen a Tele pov vid, that was cool to see.

Taking the bg108t out for some test runs tomorrow, very stoked.

Umm, something is wrong with those binders... maybe it was the boots, or, both?

Jk, love the tele-stoke

I think it's high time I picked up a pair of BGs. Wondering if anyone can tell me what, if any, the BGT sacrifices performance wise in-bounds compared to the BG?

Checked the ON3P site and they don't have weights listed for the BGs.

Quote Originally Posted by tdpdx View Post
    I think it's high time I picked up a pair of BGs. Wondering if anyone can tell me what, if any, the BGT sacrifices performance wise in-bounds compared to the BG?

Depending on where you ski, I’m sure quite a lot. I have both and the regular is 500+ grams heavier

Does ON3P typically do a late spring/summer customs sale..? Looking at getting some custom BGs for my girlfriend and I for a japan trip next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha_SP View Post
    Does ON3P typically do a late spring/summer customs sale..? Looking at getting some custom BGs for my girlfriend and I for a japan trip next year...
    Summer sale $100 off

ON3P SKIS Discussion

3 straight days of insane pow (38” and counting) and needed nothing but the CDs.

Life is fucking good.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha_SP View Post
    I think they did $150 off all skis last spring but that may have been a covid thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tdpdx View Post

If you're location checks out, and you're skiing the resort then I don't see how much you would gain with the tour version. BG absolutely crushes our resort conditions when it gets skied out, and the temps switch up. If you're touring a lot....well then you probably want the tour.
    Training for Alpental

Weekly confirmation that BG rips long stable GS turns on the trail.
    Training for Alpental

12” inches hammered upon Taos Ski Valley.

Quoting Norseman from BBI19:

“It was a Billy Goat day today”.

I can attest again that in 18” fresh the BG is hands down the best powder ski I’ve ever used, ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk