Page 218 of 599 FirstFirst ... 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 ... LastLast
Results 5,426 to 5,450 of 14970

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Saw someone else in here post the idea. Had to steal the concept when I was visiting the in law with a sticker maker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56799601342__43781B1C-0E94-479A-A545-884F97BE0190.JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	212.3 KB 
ID:	262321
    Last edited by mtskibum16; 12-31-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I have done the CD vs 138 spoon comparison on a deep day.

Both a great in deep snow. Both do just fine in tight conditions or wide open space. I don’t think the spoons gained anything for float or ride quality in 10-12”.

Much prefer the RES tipped ski and the tour layup On3p damp feel once it is tracked out. Also 124 is much easier on the knees once it’s cut up than 138.

Working on loaning cascadeluke my CD so he can do the 192 protest comparison.

I like CD way more than my 196 protests. The CD is Less work, more intuitive, easier to break loose into a slarve.

But I haven’t skied the protest in 3 seasons, and I’m an older different skier now than I was then.
    Sums it up nicely, thanks. I think I'll stick with what I have, especially since I think my SGs might overlap a bit with the CD... plus I really dig my 138s.
    This job would be great if it weren't for the fucking customers

nice sticker

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Post some more pictures of the C&D stoke!

what's the word on an ON3P demo day in the Front Range this year? Loveland again?

also, probably a long shot, but anyone here that's raving about the C&D's been on the asym Blizzard Spurs to compare?

This is all I got for now.

Name:	1F19FA75-2FB5-4C89-944D-FE3AF7050C05.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	667.5 KB 
ID:	262522

Name:	D2351BDF-F48B-4A51-8A18-C8C52DD966F4.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	817.6 KB 
ID:	262523

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    Shes had 1 day on them so far and it did NOT go well.

She struggled with them, complained that they felt “too locked in” to a line and she was having trouble breaking them free. We ended the day early as a result. When we got home I checked and they were too sharp too far into the tip/tail. Did a severe detune of the tips/tails with a file and also detuned the rest of the edge a little too w/ a series of gummi stones and light file work.

When we get some more fresh snow and she’s not working we will try again (she works Sun-Tues at Timberline Lodge). So far Friday looks promising for round 2. Tho, this time I’m also gonna bring her W88’s in case she still doesn’t get on with the BG’s. She really wants them to work and really wants to start skiing more soft snow, so she’s giving it a real shot and staying patient.
    My BG detune generally begins with a file. But that's just me.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    My BG detune generally begins with a file. But that's just me.
    Good to know!!!

I had my first day on my assym 184 BGs (and first time skiing ON3P) last weekend. There had been snow off an on all week but nothing major and no new snow the night before. Decided to bust out the BGs because I couldn't wait any longer to try them. Big storm pushed in on the second run and it dumped all day so I got everything from groomers, to packed off piste, to boot deep in the trees. Half the day I got stuck giving lessons to a beginner and it was interesting trying to get a feel for the ski on packed snow - natural slarver but a bit funny feeling on edge. Later in the day I got a few good runs with fresh snow and they started to click. I have a feeling that we'll get along nicely. Overall I'd say they were super loose (great factory detune) and pivoty and for sure a bit different feeling on edge in firm snow. Felt good at speed in chop and although there's a bit more ski out front than my 184 Moment Bibby Pros, they don't feel like big skis by any means. I'm sure the 189 would have been fine (5'10" 170 lbs) but the 184 will probably be awesome in the tight/steep trees I normally ski. I'm really looking forward to getting more time on them!

TLDR: Skied BGs, had fun, want more

I feel like multiple people (including Blister) have mentioned how the Wren 108 performs well in powder and could be used as a resort pow ski. I spent yesterday skiing the Crags (open spaces, trees, pillows) in about a foot of pow, pretty good quality. I’ve now spent today skiing the same terrain, same conditions on BGs.

They’re not even comparable in powder, the BGs are so much better. Of course the Wrens are better on firm snow, but I’d encourage anyone looking for good pow performance to go for the BGs over the Wrens.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

X2

Yep. BG’s rock.

Name:	CB4A38AD-9D72-46B1-A0CF-0F309EDE38E6.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	665.6 KB 
ID:	262560

X4? Not Wren specific, but I skied my Q-Labs one day last week where I ended up in more fresh snow than expected. As I have done in the past I found myself thinking they are pretty damn good in powder for a 105 waist with metal. Just enough fun tip shape and tip rocker to make them punch above their waist class in the soft stuff. The next time out on the same mountain was on BG and yeah.....no comparison in powder. The Wren is the type of ski you have a good time on in powder, but it's no powder ski. Probably a good choice if you really need a 1 ski quiver, but it's never what you should choose for a powder specific ski in your quiver.

I can confirm that wren 108s and BGs are BOTH really fun in pow

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    This.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I can confirm pow is really fun
    Also this.

But which one is more fun? Pros/cons? Would you actually recommend the Wren as a pow ski? Because I think that's the point Skeeze was making. There's a foot of fresh when you get to the mountain with Billy Goats and Wren 108s in the roof box....do you ever choose to grab the W108?

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    But which one is more fun? Pros/cons? Would you actually recommend the Wren as a pow ski? Because I think that's the point Skeeze was making. There's a foot of fresh when you get to the mountain with Billy Goats and Wren 108s in the roof box....do you ever choose to grab the W108?
    Yes... depends what’s open and what I’m planning to ski that day. Some chargier lines (think Palisades or Granite Peak at Squaw) I’d prefer the Wren.

Billy Goats, hands downs.

That being said, as a pow specific ski, I’m wondering if I should sell my BGs and go for the new C&D. I liked the 2017 C&D quite a bit, and the new one being more versatile sounds intriguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    I feel like multiple people (including Blister) have mentioned how the Wren 108 performs well in powder and could be used as a resort pow ski. I spent yesterday skiing the Crags (open spaces, trees, pillows) in about a foot of pow, pretty good quality. I’ve now spent today skiing the same terrain, same conditions on BGs.

They’re not even comparable in powder, the BGs are so much better. Of course the Wrens are better on firm snow, but I’d encourage anyone looking for good pow performance to go for the BGs over the Wrens.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I noticed this “wren rules in pow” trend as well. Left me scratching my head. My billy goats come out if there’s even a chance of finding soft snow, because I would much rather struggle/slarve my way around on firm snow than struggle or sink in pow.

I think many here would agree with that sentiment.

Now every time I hear that, I think “you should try billy goats”.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    There's a foot of fresh when you get to the mountain with Billy Goats and Wren 108s in the roof box....do you ever choose to grab the W108?
    Having owned both...If there were 100MPH winds buffing the shit out of that foot of fresh all night, and the day was going to be geared toward more wide-open and/or steeper terrain where the 'effective depth' of that foot skis like less...maybe then?

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Having owned both...If there were 100MPH winds buffing the shit out of that foot of fresh all night, and the day was going to be geared toward more wide-open and/or steeper terrain where the 'effective depth' of that foot skis like less...maybe then?
    aka where jackattack and I mostly ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Billy Goats, hands downs.

That being said, as a pow specific ski, I’m wondering if I should sell my BGs and go for the new C&D. I liked the 2017 C&D quite a bit, and the new one being more versatile sounds intriguing.
    betel, as much as I hate to feed your “new ski” problem, i’m seriously on the fence about keeping my BG’s. The C&D’s are that good. I think they’re as capable as a BG in skied out chop and my go-to if there’s any new snow at all. The 1 day I had on my BG’s so far this season I could’ve just as easily had the same kind of fun on my C&D’s.

now, I’m not certain if this is due to the C&D’s simply being larger in every way, the extra length (my BG=184 whereas C&D= 189), the asym tip/tail or the combo of more core width but tour layup (C&D definitely not as thick as BG but are wider so I’d guesstimate mass of core to be about equal but spread differently around the ski).

it has me considering demo-ing a 189 BG w/ asym to see. Results of this demo would determine if I need to keep a BG in the quiver...

ON3P SKIS Discussion

I noticed this “wren rules in pow” trend as well. Left me scratching my head. My billy goats come out if there’s even a chance of finding soft snow, because I would much rather struggle/slarve my way around on firm snow than struggle or sink in pow.

I think many here would agree with that sentiment.

Now every time I hear that, I think “you should try billy goats”.
    Except I owned BG’s for 4 years. The Wrens do not struggle or sink in pow. At least they didn’t when I took them out last March in 2+ feet. They have a lot of taper and rocker.

because I would much rather struggle/slarve my way around on firm snow than struggle or sink in pow.
    My approach differs from this. The BG is damn fine pow tool > Wren 108, but wren has other super powers.