Page 248 of 599 FirstFirst ... 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 ... LastLast
Results 6,176 to 6,200 of 14970
    The whole breaking your boots in a forward fall is questionable. I haven’t had a knee fall in a long time but it could happen even to me.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

discussion drift = tecton thread needs your educated opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    The whole breaking your boots in a forward fall is questionable. I haven’t had a knee fall in a long time but it could happen even to me.
    Check out the Tecton thread. There have been issues with boot damage and the Tecton.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Check out the Tecton thread. There have been issues with boot damage and the Tecton.
    The new toe resolves this issue...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The new toe resolves this issue...
    Lol, Marker said the same thing.

Here is a link from Wildsnow saying the new toe will make damaging the boot less likely but it doesn’t say that it completely fixes the problem. Every touring binding has its quirks and a possibly damaged boot is much better than broken pins.

https://www.wildsnow.com/25582/frits...e-change-2018/

Getting back on topic, I have been seeing quite a few ON3P in the backcountry lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Hahaha. I keep thinking that having an alpine style heel has got to improve the tech binding experience.
    It does.

Anyone know the length offerings of the new woodsman? Iggy let the cat out of the bag on 192 but wondering what the other offerings are going to be.
    Go Sox!

Quote Originally Posted by tpacent View Post
    Anyone know the length offerings of the new woodsman? Iggy let the cat out of the bag on 192 but wondering what the other offerings are going to be.
    I skied a 182 on Friday and have been meaning to post a mini review. Forgot to check with Alex if that is OK to do... Or if mums still the word.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Wondering if there is a 187 in the mix as well.
    Go Sox!

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    I skied a 182 on Friday and have been meaning to post a mini review. Forgot to check with Alex if that is OK to do... Or if mums still the word.
    People been posting their reviews

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Maybe there's hope for me ;-)...Those Qs were fine in most circumstances. In a whiteout I'm balance-challenged, so I found myself wandering off the sweet spot and shit got crazy. A mid-day swap from my Qs to my CD 114s & it ceased to feel like survival skiing...
    Taking C&Ds and Qs on a trip end of month. Will ski both ... for science?

Quote Originally Posted by tpacent View Post
    Guessing 5cm increments, probably down to 177 but have no evidence to base this off of. All of there other offerings are 5cm increments though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    People been posting their reviews
    Where? Did I miss it in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Where? Did I miss it in this thread?
    Been combing through trying to find these fabled review posts too

It's in the 19/20 gear thread...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It's in the 19/20 gear thread...
    Ah. That makes sense.

Tapatalks got me all discombobulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    Guessing 5cm increments, probably down to 177 but have no evidence to base this off of. All of there other offerings are 5cm increments though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    From what I remember it was something like 177 to 192 in 5 cm increments.

While I recently complained about a tune, I want it to be clear: I think ON3P is a great company, think it's awesome that Iggy takes the time to interface with us weirdos, and that I am a shitty skier.

Also I love the Billygoat, Wren 113, C&D and Kartel 108.

I’m confused about people’s troubles with the wren 108 here and in the “skis you hated” thread. For both me and a friend the 184s were perfect out of the wrapper. Can charge hard but shut down on a dime. Likes fast, big turns but is perfectly serviceable in terrain requiring slower/tighter turns. Doesn’t accelerate like crazy when you’re knocked on the tails. Definitely not hooky.

Neither of us are incredible skiers but like to ski hard and these are pretty ideal for that. My friend used to ski 185 cochises and much prefers the wrens, saying they have most of the top end of the Cochise but are way easier to shut down and is way more confident on them. It’s weird to hear such different takes.

I have skied almost every 108 “charger” out there and the W108 can hang with the best of them. It charges while letting you scrub speed whenever you want to. While they aren’t a race ski on ice they ski fresh better than every other 108mm waisted ski. It’s a trade off.

Sucks some people have had tune issues, but if your tune is fine you and can’t get the tail to release you need to get out of the back seat.

LVS I hope you get to try out another pair with a better tune! I bet you’d dig them.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    I am here to say (and being confident I probably have more days on Wren 114 than anyone else to this point) that they are NOT hard to ski and are soooooo much more versatile than any previous wider Wren from the past.

While they can act as a gun to Scott’s point and you can stand on them and charge full bore, they also smear and pivot better than any other Wren ever made in softer snow, trees, and wind blown when you back off them.

The newer rocker profile (and especially taper) vs older wrens truly comes alive in the 114 width.

People need to just pony up and trust me on this. Skip the damn demo asks and just fucking buy them

If you like Wren 108 and ski between the Pacific Ocean and Colorado this one is as much of a slam dunk as possible...

/end coffee fueled pre-workout rant
    Re-posting this because everything Powtron said is true. The 114 is the best version of the fat wren yet. It feels so much more dialed in a turn than the old versions and is way better in fresh. It handles hard snow better than the BG(I’m on the 16/17 pre asym) and I think it would be great for places with lighter snow density.

Very sad they are going to custom only, I think a lot of you who ski lighter snow would love it over the BG.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I have skied almost every 108 “charger” out there and the W108 can hang with the best of them. It charges while letting you scrub speed whenever you want to. While they aren’t a race ski on ice they ski fresh better than every other 108mm waisted ski. It’s a trade off.

Sucks some people have had tune issues, but if your tune is fine you can’t get the tail to release you need to get out of the back seat.

LVS I hope you get to try out another pair with a better tune! I bet you’d dig them.
    I've owned/skied a lot of sticks in this category - Movement Goliath, LP105, Big Dump (not 10*x but whatever), Movement Trust (Daily Driver for 2 years), Wren 113, Cham 107, Cham 107 HM, some Head that was 110mm with the Motorhead Graphics, and a bunch of other skis like that. I've never had issues with a stiff, flat tail or a burly layup.

I really want to get on a pair with a better tune. I think this could be a great ski for me, on paper at least. I really want to give it another shot.

So, I had the previous iteration of the Wren 108 and it didn’t jive with me. I know it was softer. It felt fun in deep snow but was just okay in variable and terrible on firm snow. Really didn’t live up to the legacy of the Wren line. I hear the new model might swing to the other end of the spectrum now.

I love what Scott has produced with the BG and some of the other skis and he has to make a living.

I also think that sharing honest insights is tough for this community to do. LVS is a heckuva skier, so don’t be so quick to blame the skier.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I am still somewhat flabbergasted there is a whole underworld coming to light of peeps who didn't get along with wren 108s and even stating a BG is better for them on firm snow.

These issues have to be related to tune as I've never had the W108 feel hooky, unstable, wandering, etc. Just visioning people vigorously gummy stoning their skis in a last ditch effort before sending them off to gear swap.

For my pair at least - just get on it and drive fast. When I ski I like to make a defined carve for every turn I can. carve carve air carve repeat. If I skid a turn I feel as I've let myself and the mountain down and the W108 does a nice job of this

To me the wren is much better than the old 113 wren on everything but going straight down the mountain. I liked the old wren, but you really needed to go full blast at all times. The wren 108 carves much better, is easier manipulated into various defined carved turn shapes by rolling the ski over and using pressure, releases easier into slarves when wanted/needed, handles pow much better than the old with quite a bit more rocker on both ends and flex in very front of ski. That said it still likes speed to operate best, but I get along fine with it in trees.

BG with its smaller effective edge is better in trees obviously. BG is better in pow and tight trees and low angle skiing, but to me the Wren is more versatile and stable and to reiterate the hard snow differences, I would wager I would be at least 10-15 seconds faster down a GS/SG course on Wrens than if I switched to my BGs, but yeah the W108 even is not at the top end of the 108 wasted genre in very firm groomer blasters, but for me, I go down to a bonafide or brahma type ski for that
    Last edited by klauss; 02-18-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Why didn't you come to Alpental and school us all?