Page 217 of 599 FirstFirst ... 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,425 of 14972
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    Right on, thanks for the info guys. I've gotten more and more used to skiing centered (too much time on light and tweaky backcountry skis), so it sounds like maybe the Kartel is more my cup of tea than I had thought. And I agree with what you're saying about the turning radius not meaning everything when it comes to the type of turns you can make. I'm Portland based, so I'm going to track down some demos of both to see what feels right.

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with the Skinny Goat? Looks like there's a possibility to pick some up, and sin I like my Steeple/BGs so much, I was thinking that a slightly skinnier version might fit the bill for what I'm looking for. Doesn't seem like there's a huge amount of info out there on these.
    Since you’re Portland-based, demo from the factory. Just call ahead and swing by to pick them up, they’re a real cool crew. Heck, while you’re there, take a tour and get a firsthand look at how the skis are made.

As an an example of the mount point differences, look at my K98’s next to my BG’s. The BG is “close” to where a Wren mounts, so it’s a reasonable analogy. The mounts are significantly different between the Kartel’s and the Wren’s, to Auvgeek’s point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC33C82F-B1E3-4442-8270-0A4F6DCB0AC1.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	822.4 KB 
ID:	261902

On a different note:

i was out on my BG’s today at T-Line riding the skied out leftovers from yesterday. While the BG’s performed just fine, I found myself feeling a little less “stompy” on them compared to my C&D’s. Had me wondering on the lifts if I just prefer the bigger skis or if it’s the 189 length as opposed to the 184 on the BG’s. The snow today was ideal BG conditions, but in a few select instances I didn’t feel as solid on them as I did yesterday on the C&D’s on the same terrain. It was weird... I may end up reaching for the C&D’s more and more often than I initially thought.

I finally put a few days on wren 108s. I've ridden old Kartel 106s for quite a few days. To my mind, there's not much overlap between these skis. (Kartels were 186, wrens are 189)

The wrens are fairly straight, and ski like it. They're not much fun if you're going slow, or standing centered, or being lazy. They're not punishing or anything, just sort of lifeless and work to turn. Open it up and drive the fronts, and they're a fucking blast. They have quite a bit of float for their width, aren't much bothered by crud, and go wherever you want once you're moving. Had them out now on soft groomers, 12-18" of heavy fresh snow, corn, 3-4" of soft snow on fucked up chunks, and in every case they raged perfectly happily. Once I was moving fast, I could pretty much do what I wanted on just about any snow. They reward being driven even more than head monsters.

Kartels are a great ski to sit centered, and are perfectly happy to be ridden fairly lazily. They're a blast to pop off things, and good to mob with friends. Speed limit is plenty high unless the snow is fucked, where they start to get deflected. I found the tips would fold up and the skis get bounced around in heavy chop, and the edge just wouldn't cooperate on crust/ice. Had some awesome days riding these with friends, ended up giving them up. I'm tempted to get a stiff pair in 191, see if I get a bit more backbone with the same fun.

For me: the kartels are fun, easy, fast enough for most things. The wrens aren't easy, but if you put in the effort, and stay fast, they are amazing. Much more work to ski, plenty of days where I want that. Note that the newer Kartels are a bit stiffer and have a rounder flex. Still think the wrens and kartels are very different.

I mostly just ride billygoats.

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post

I mostly just ride billygoats.
    Power move.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

i think he just put his nuts on the table

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    i think he just put his nuts on the table
    well, that escalated quickly

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Touring layup K108's in 186cm... come and get 'em: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-Touring-Layup

A steal for someone.
    All due respect, $675 is not a steal in any sense.

While "steal" is pushing it, I personally find the price to be fair.

To order an identical ski currently costs 1099 as a full on custom, or 949 if you want a similar ski, with a pink top sheet and park detune as per the link posted about - both with a four week lead time. The price in the ad thus equals either approx 40% off the former, or roughly 30% off the latter. The skis seems minty after four days use (just look at the high res images provided in the ad), with one mount.

While the price police on TGR might not approve 100% (as explained below), I personally think it is a fair price if the right customer is there and he/she wants skis now - not in four weeks (the lead time for customs right now - getting it sooner, in season is for some worth a slight premium) - and the stock one is too much ski for him or her/he or she wants to get jibby.

The argument can be made that the price is 35usd over standard TGR pricing (50% off, 10% off due to one mount, +30% due to an in-demand ski that is hard to come by = 643). If potential customers find the price to be too high, then "or best offer" is written in the ad as well to help bridge the gap, so the price isn't set in stone.

Anyway - best of luck with the sale TJ!

ON3P SKIS Discussion

^^ Basically my thinking. And yes I’m open to offers. Edit: and sold.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 12-29-2018 at 05:29 PM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

V

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Any update on Metal Wrens?

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

the recent c&d stoke has me wondering. anyone been on both c&d and protest?

Been wondering this as well, also for L138s. I love them but have been curious about C&D
    This job would be great if it weren't for the fucking customers

So...
    Got some kartel 108s in 186 coming in soon. Been skiing moment's 96 tahoe 178 with griffon binders for last season and this one so far with the plan of swapping the bindings with inserts. Got the kartels with me realizing I like a more playful ski(am i wrong?). Ice coast skier and mostly skiing PA with at least a handful of days in NH and VT lined up. I do find myself liking a more neutral stance. Pretty sure I'm fully cognizant I'm in over kill territory but that's consistent with me biting off just nearly as much as i can chew.

Flame away.

cant compare, never ridden a Protest (or any Praxis skis) but I did just get my 3rd day on the C&D’s today. More fresh coastal snow fell last night making for fun turns today. These things are just so damned stable and “stompy.” I found myself with a lot more confidence than I’ve had before on some steps I usually have more concern about. Even my step-daughter commented on how much more “solid” i seem to be on these skis. Better than my BG’s? Eh, not sure yet but it’s damn close right now... really damn close.

Quote Originally Posted by PWeb View Post
    Been wondering this as well, also for L138s. I love them but have been curious about C&D
    I have done the CD vs 138 spoon comparison on a deep day.

Both a great in deep snow. Both do just fine in tight conditions or wide open space. I don’t think the spoons gained anything for float or ride quality in 10-12”.

Much prefer the RES tipped ski and the tour layup On3p damp feel once it is tracked out. Also 124 is much easier on the knees once it’s cut up than 138.

Working on loaning cascadeluke my CD so he can do the 192 protest comparison.

I like CD way more than my 196 protests. The CD is Less work, more intuitive, easier to break loose into a slarve.

But I haven’t skied the protest in 3 seasons, and I’m an older different skier now than I was then.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

ON3P SKIS Discussion

All these good C&D reviews coming in makes me want a pair.

Bring back the steeple 112!

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

Day 4 on the C&D’s and they fail to disappoint. There was lots of fresh snow to be had, and I got the most of it. These things are super quick side-to-side in tight trees, float and maintain speed better in low-angle than my BG’s by a huge margin (I’ve gotten none of the “plowing” sensation on these that I’ve felt on the BG’s). Finally had a chance to ski some more open terrain today and they’re even more fun swinging huge arcs at speed in soft snow than they are in the trees. They stomp airs and feel so damn solid it’s like being superhuman. At speed, they’re a little looser than the BG’s due to the tour layup, but much less so than I’d feared.

i dunno guys - it is almost like you like them...

JK - thanks for sharing the stoke! Can't wait to see some more action shots

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    i dunno guys - it is almost like you like them...

Thanks for sharing the stoke! Can't wait to see some more action shots
    Yeah.... I’m pretty happy with them.

As for action shots, having too much fun skiing to pose. Selfies are hard to pull off mid-turn. If I manage to get out w/ skiers other than my wife or her Bestie, I’ll try to get some action shots or GoPro video. Supposed to get out w/ my neighbor soon and he rides the same terrain I do, so maybe he’ll be able to get some shots for me as well.

Thanks to the recent C&D stoke, there's now one pair of C&Ds in 189 left for the year. Here's hoping there's enough snow for me to side-by-side with 192 protests.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

Could not agree more... First time in years I have not bought new boards and thought I was going to get some Lashas next year for a heli trip... As it stands with all of these C&D reviews I do believe this is going to happen...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    ...skiers other than my wife...
    Speaking of your significant other - how is she getting along with her BGs?

And as for action shots - there is a reason I mainly post pics of my skis I did have some intentions to try make some GoPro vids last year, but never got around to it - had too much fun skiing to bother adding that variable as well.

A quiver of w114, k116, BMT122s and C&Ds makes no sense right? Especially since I just sold my BGs.

btw - I am sure people have noticed, but f not then there are a pair of last year's C&Ds on Ebay right now for 450 or best offer. Way too big for me unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    Yeah.... I’m pretty happy with them.

As for action shots, having too much fun skiing to pose. Selfies are hard to pull off mid-turn. If I manage to get out w/ skiers other than my wife or her Bestie, I’ll try to get some action shots or GoPro video. Supposed to get out w/ my neighbor soon and he rides the same terrain I do, so maybe he’ll be able to get some shots for me as well.
    I'll snap some shots if I can ever coordinate a time to ride with you. Life is not cooperating with me so far this season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Speaking of your significant other - how is she getting along with her BGs?
    Shes had 1 day on them so far and it did NOT go well.

She struggled with them, complained that they felt “too locked in” to a line and she was having trouble breaking them free. We ended the day early as a result. When we got home I checked and they were too sharp too far into the tip/tail. Did a severe detune of the tips/tails with a file and also detuned the rest of the edge a little too w/ a series of gummi stones and light file work.

When we get some more fresh snow and she’s not working we will try again (she works Sun-Tues at Timberline Lodge). So far Friday looks promising for round 2. Tho, this time I’m also gonna bring her W88’s in case she still doesn’t get on with the BG’s. She really wants them to work and really wants to start skiing more soft snow, so she’s giving it a real shot and staying patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    I'll snap some shots if I can ever coordinate a time to ride with you. Life is not cooperating with me so far this season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    Right on, thanks man! Let me know when you’re able to break free from household responsibilities and we’ll tear it up.