Page 334 of 598 FirstFirst ... 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,350 of 14946
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    SO....Woodsman vs BG sizing question. Being a 189 BG guy, what do you think of the 187 Woodsman? How does the size of the Woodsman feel in relation to the BG? What about stability and maneuverability?

I'm kind of between sizes (187 and 182). Conventional TGR wisdom would tell me to size up, but I ski (and LOVE) the 184 BG. So if you're happy with how your 187 Woodsman compliments your 189 BG then maybe I should be thinking 182 Woodsman to go with my 184 BG.
    I find that 187 WD108 pairs really well with the 184 BG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200229_094304.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	318056
    Hasn't snowed in 2 weeks.
    Conditions =hardpack to refrozen.
    Surely gonna die as ON3P's just cannot handle these conditions.
    If I don't survive......
    Tell my wife and kids "I love them"!...

Ill dispose of the skis for you. Public service so no one else dies

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Bring a saw.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Hola ON3Pers. Venturing out of the Moment thread for some feedback on ON3P titanal builds. Had a pair of 17/18 Wren108 189s a couple years back that i liked, but thought the flex was a touch soft, and was happy to see they stiffened it up in the most recent iteration. I am now searching for a new directional 108 ski, and have come back to the Wren108Ti, think it might be good fit.

Have done some searching through here on the difference between the normal build, and the titanal build, but this thread is MASSIVE and was hoping for some help summarizing the differences between the two. Leaning towards titanal for increased dampness and edgehold.
    Edgehold from non-metal Wren to Metal Wren is staggering. Rails like fuck on the piste and grips the shit out of hard bumps.

damnit, i should have sought out a demo on the 96 when it was convenient. would love to consolidate my 189 wren and 179 groomer zoomers to a single 184 that can float at speed and rail when it’s sunny.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    damnit, i should have sought out a demo on the 96 when it was convenient. would love to consolidate my 189 wren and 179 groomer zoomers to a single 184 that can float at speed and rail when it’s sunny.
    I’ve got 184 Wren 98s FS in gearswap. Just say’n. Pre-Ti tho.
    Uno mas

I've seen a lot said about ON3P is particularly well suited to PNW conditions compared to other brands.

What factors specifically make this the case?

Quote Originally Posted by AintEZbeingSteezy View Post
    I've seen a lot said about ON3P is particularly well suited to PNW conditions compared to other brands.

What factors specifically make this the case?
    I think a large part of that is the weight of the ski. So many brands are going lightweight but on3ps are usually heavier which gives you more power when busting through heavy pnw snow. I'm sure others will add to this and I bet RES helps as well.

To build on this question, is the cult for on3p still there in dry snow climates?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

you'd get laughed off the slopes of deer valley if you tried to show up with On3ps and attempt to ski the champagne powders there

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    you'd get laughed off the slopes of deer valley if you tried to show up with On3ps and attempt to ski the champagne powders there
    Definitely. All of the skiers on their Soul 7’s were giving me funny looks. ;-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I think the weight, stiffness, and rocker profiles are the main factors. Plus RES if you’re on the BG or C&D. This stuff also makes them good in blower though too. Especially at speed

Update after 2nd day on OG Billy Goats in 191cm...
    10-12" at Mt Rose yesterday, light enough to bust through to the frozen bottom in many places...
    I was able to fecking wail on these skis! Vis was shit at points but it didn't matter, the BGs slayed everything in their way--wide open chop, tight trees, rock bands (god those bases are durable) . I've skied a lot of powder skis for close to 25 years (first pair was original Volkl Explosivs on to a recent pair of Bibby Pros); never had something so easy to ski, lay it on edge and it rails, release the tail and it pivots--I guess now "I know".

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Barn Find OG 191 BG
    Skied twice, mounted once...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Update after 2nd day on OG Billy Goats in 191cm...
    10-12" at Mt Rose yesterday, light enough to bust through to the frozen bottom in many places...
    I was able to fecking wail on these skis! Vis was shit at points but it didn't matter, the BGs slayed everything in their way--wide open chop, tight trees, rock bands (god those bases are durable) . I've skied a lot of powder skis for close to 25 years (first pair was original Volkl Explosivs on to a recent pair of Bibby Pros); never had something so easy to ski, lay it on edge and it rails, release the tail and it pivots--I guess now "I know".
    You are on the best pow-specific iteration, so your experience isn’t surprising.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Ha yes I was. Seems like you own just about the whole lineup. I’m envious!
    Yeah, my quiver has gotten a bit excessive as of late. Who needs a new kitchen right? That being said - testing and figuring out skis is a lot of fun, and we can't demo stuff from ON3P over here in Scandiland - hence my somewhat capital intensive approach. Also, some of the additions were fueled by me being unable to ski much last winter, so compensated with quiver building. Luckily I am finally (almost) in agreement with myself what skis will stay in the quiver going forward though, so it will shrink a bit from the high water mark that was the start of this season.

In other news - I don't know about you guys - re the playful charger thread's repeated mention of Jeffreys, but this surely makes me wanna go ski

And my bad aanev - I did not do the promised A/B-ing this weekend. We got dumped on so C&Ds ftw. Also, on Saturday we had colder temps where my Fischer RC4s just felt too cold, so bailed on it after an initial run that made me wanna chop my cold feet off below the ankle . I use the RC4s with my castified pivot skis (aka quiver #2 so wren96ti, wood108s, wood116s and the second pair of wren114s), but haven't used them in a while so totally forgot how fekking cold they are. Will A/B wren114s and wood116s sometime this week - the forecast is looking promising.

That being said, I did try wren114s+shifts for a few laps on Sunday in the same zone as before (not very steep, but fun, rolling/undulating and relatively open), just with more fresh snow. I found that they struggled a bit with float compared to both 184 C&Ds and 184 BGs - which makes sense I guess. It def made me curious about wren114s in 184
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 03-02-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Early access for spring sale code just hit email subscriber inboxes. $150 off in stock skis or $250 off if including bindings. Mine was in my spam folder, so you may want to check there.

Woodsman (or Kartel) 108 size question. Advanced/expert, 215#, 6'3", ski in Colorado. Current daily is the Deathwish, which I love but could charge harder. I also have some Bibbys and Pettitors. Looking for a playful ski that can charge, but that also might be a little better in bumps/trees/steep techy stuff than the DW - which is fine in its own right in that stuff. I've always wanted to check out ON3P's and had my eye on Kartels, but then the Woodsman came out. I do ski some switch but not much.

I always get the longest length ski. But I've been reading ON3P's sort of measure shorter than they ski compared to Moment. I was looking at the 192. Would it be silly to consider the 187? I know this is a question without a clear answer but just looking for thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by mb80ba View Post
    Woodsman (or Kartel) 108 size question. Advanced/expert, 215#, 6'3", ski in Colorado. Current daily is the Deathwish, which I love but could charge harder. I also have some Bibbys and Pettitors. Looking for a playful ski that can charge, but that also might be a little better in bumps/trees/steep techy stuff than the DW - which is fine in its own right in that stuff. I've always wanted to check out ON3P's and had my eye on Kartels, but then the Woodsman came out. I do ski some switch but not much.

I always get the longest length ski. But I've been reading ON3P's sort of measure shorter than they ski compared to Moment. I was looking at the 192. Would it be silly to consider the 187? I know this is a question without a clear answer but just looking for thoughts.
    I'm a little smaller than you (6'1", 195#) and skied 2 days on the 187 Woodsman 108. If/when I get a pair, I'll buy the 192. While the 187 was fine, I want as high a top end as I could have. If you want more playful, you could do 187. If you want more charge, get 192.

The 187 Woodsman will be about the same size as 190 Deathwish. My 184 Billy Goat is 2.4cm longer than my 184 Bibby Pro.

I haven’t skied the Woodsman, but the 191 Kartel skis quite a bit shorter than its length. I probably wouldn’t size down, unless maybe you’re looking for a mogul ski. I have the 190 deathwish, which despite having 3cm less length on a straight pull, has the same or slightly more effective edge, and the extents of the contact surface are quite a bit more when decambered.

I'm 6'1", 175lbs fully kitted up and am very comfortable on the kartel/jeffrey in the 186. I wouldn't hesitate to go 191 on the jeffrey if I were you. That ski is so easy to throw around when you want to.

If your bsl is 317+/- you're welcome to take my 187 Woodsman 108 for a few laps.
    Last edited by N1CK.; 03-03-2020 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    To build on this question, is the cult for on3p still there in dry snow climates?
    Yes. In truth C/D and pillow fights usually get the nod over BG's and super goats these days. But I seldom find myself in heavier snow, chunder, or chopped up pow.

edit: I only tour, but I see my C/D as 'daily driver' stick .. and the pillow fights for the lighter deeper days. If I go the season without hitting the super goat they will find themselves in gear swap. Not because I don't like .. it's unjust to have such skis and not use.

But I've been reading ON3P's sort of measure shorter than they ski compared to Moment.
    *sigh*

Do we have to do this every page?

Go measure how long your Moments are. Just measure in a straight line from tip to tail. The actual length of the ski will be shorter than the number printed on the topsheet.
    (To be exact, a 190cm DW actually measures 188.1cm per Blister https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...ment-deathwish)
    ON3P is easy because the actual length and the number printed on them will actually be the same.

So yes, if you take a ON3P and a Moment ski that are nominally the same length, the ON3P will actually be physically longer. Or however the fuck you phrased it.

I'm 6'3, 200#, advanced and got the 187s. I haven't found myself really wishing I had more length, although I can't say I've really spent that much time on any skis longer than 188 before either. I do end up following friends into some wild trees occasionally though and have been happy I don't have to maneuver more ski to get through that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Yes. In truth C/D and pillow fights usually get the nod over BG's and super goats these days. But I seldom find myself in heavier snow, chunder, or chopped up pow.

edit: I only tour, but I see my C/D as 'daily driver' stick .. and the pillow fights for the lighter deeper days. If I go the season without hitting the super goat they will find themselves in gear swap. Not because I don't like .. it's unjust to have such skis and not use.
    I am still trying to wrap my head around touring with the heft of an ON3P ski. I really wanna put shifts on billy goats as a tour/powder ski but I'm currently getting my start in the backcountry with my QST 99s that are 2 lbs lighter, and it still feels like such a slog, I can't imagine making my setup even heavier (albeit would be much more fun on the way down/useful when i wasn't touring).