Page 426 of 599 FirstFirst ... 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 ... LastLast
Results 10,626 to 10,650 of 14966
    Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    Am I allowed to post on this thread yet? For a while I wasn't, like when I tried to post it immediately said mods would have to review it.

Someone please give me more info on the Wren 110 Pro! I need more! Is this the On3p for me, or should I try to customize a Wren 114?
    If you decide to go wren 114, I have a used one for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, question for you people. I got myself a pair of Jeffrey 108s from last year used to see if I liked them. Which was stupid, cause of course I liked them. Loved them. They have very little use, but the previous user put a bunch of grooves in the bottom. Nothing down to the core, just base grooves, but it's quite a bit. Currently they have demo bindings on them.

Option A: do a base grind, hope that helps the bases out, remove demo bindings and replace with orange FKS bindings, would look sweet. Would have a pair of Jeffs that I really like but I'd be on the second mount and I'd be hoping a base grind fixes the bottoms up. Been a long time since I've done a full grind on a ski so not sure how much it will help.

Option B: suck it up and resell them (probably have to wait till fall for that part) and buy a pair of Jeffs from ON3P right now on sale. Got that weird airplane topsheet which I don't love but I admit it'll look good with the orange FKS. Then I have a brand new pair of skis, ready to go, perfect bases. Will probably cost an extra $200.

What say the collective? How well do ON3Ps do with the base grinds? If I loved the new topsheet I'd be more likely to do it, but I really prefer the older one.

Tell me what I wanna do.

Visuals:

Ones I currently have:
    Name:  on3p-jeffrey-108-skis-2020-.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  58.8 KB

Ones I could buy instead:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021_jeffrey_108_zoom.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	371125

Remount and tune em up at a good shop. ON3Ps perk of the thick base and edge is a lots of material to tune.

^^^ I agree with this ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by IJK2009 View Post
    I tried to send you a PM SkiJitsu, but that's currently not an option (I'm guessing there's a minimum post threshold before PM function is allowed?)...

Anyway, I'd be happy to buy your 184 Wren 108 Ti's whenever you ultimately pull the trigger for their replacements.

For whatever it's worth, I bought the last new pair of Wren 108 Ti skis that I could find online, but they're 179s. It's kinda killing me that I haven't drilled them yet, but the 184s wudda been my first choice as replacement daily drivers for my '14 OG Cochise.
    Thanks for the info. I pulled the trigger on the 110 Pro's. I'll let you know if I sell the 184 108's. (

Quote Originally Posted by SkiJitsu View Post
    Thanks for the info. I pulled the trigger on the 110 Pro's. I'll let you know if I sell the 184 108's. (
    Funny enough, I re-listened to that Blister podcast this morning, with Scott talking about the Wren 110 Pro (link here), and realized my attempt to compare the 189 Wren 108 Ti to the 186 Wren 110 Pro was apples & oranges.

The 186 Wren 110 Pro sounds burlier than the 189 108 Ti, so I think you made the right call.

I hope they work out for you!

Tuning those Jeffreys down below. They are currently at 1and2 angle but I think ON3P recommends 1 degree base, 1 degree edge.

What angle do I want?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Tuning those Jeffreys down below. They are currently at 1and2 angle but I think ON3P recommends 1 degree base, 1 degree edge.

What angle do I want?

1/1 is the factory recommended.

Can anyone correctly ID all the models? Hint - only 3 are customs.

Name:	Image1618343508.122567.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	371465

Wren 114
    Wren 108
    Kartel/Jeff 108
    BG Tour
    Steeple 98
    Woodsman 96
    Filthy Rich? or a Magnus

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    Can anyone correctly ID all the models? Hint - only 3 are customs.

Name:	Image1618343508.122567.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	371465
    Tell us more about the Woods 96. Touring core? Weight? Thoughts as a long day/spring ski? How does it compare to the Steeple 98?

Quote Originally Posted by travel_to_ski View Post
    Wren 114
    Wren 108
    Kartel/Jeff 108
    BG Tour
    Steeple 98
    Woodsman 96
    Filthy Rich? or a Magnus
    6/7!

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    Tell us more about the Woods 96. Touring core? Weight? Thoughts as a long day/spring ski? How does it compare to the Steeple 98?
    The woodsman is totally stock, weights as listed online. It’s beefier, way more sturdy underfoot than the Steeple, but I do get bucked around a lot more accordingly in anything variable. I take out the BG usually as my tour stick until about now, April. For spring corn in the cascades and volcano summer skiing, I love them, and especially like the MTNs with brakes for quick carries and hot laps.

All mentioned are all not very light compared to offerings like a zero G and backland etc, but meh, more enjoyable ride down. I think they would be fine for a big day ski - took them on the Dakobed traverse last May and they did great. I’m a masochist though, and do 16 mile/8k gain days on the BG Tours.

I’m really stoked about the unmounted pair that just arrived - tour layup woods 96 in a 177, 1500g/ski and dat flex...

Quote Originally Posted by SkiJitsu View Post
    I daily the 110 Pros. I think you’ll like them .

The tail is definitely there to support or show who’s boss!

Loved these at JHMR this season though. Took out the Supergoats for anything over 6 inches otherwise.

Spent all season on these three:

- 184 Steeple 103 + Hagan Core
    - 186 110 Pro + Pivot 15
    - 193 Supergoats + Pivot 15

Rest of the quiver got negligible use.

110 Pros are pretty dang versatile. I’m a fan.

Speaking of which when does then Summer Custom sale go live? Looking for a BG 108 50/50 Tour + Cast.

Sweet quiver Rowen! Very interesting what you write concerning wood96s, both the regular layup ones and your new sweet custom pair with the Meeks graphic!

To report back wrt the BMT109 vs BG108tour comparison: I agree with what has been written previously in this thread, both are fine skis and they ski a bit differently. The differences were less night and day when I used both with XT3s. It will be really interesting to try them back to back next year in dry, early season snow. BG108ts are sensational corn skis, whereas I really enjoy BMT109s in deeper snow + they are a tad bit more inspiring on hard snow. I have not used BG108ts in deeper snow that was not heavily wind affected yet - type packed + deep enough to warrent going near straigt down to keep momentum - but there is zero doubt in my mind that they will be great in light/dry snow too.

Can't wait for some updated info on the 2022 line. The 2021 range sure is dwindling fast online, so hopefully some new info will be released before long - including info on the summer custom sale. Kind of unusual that the skis that are still in stock is largely BG variants and Jeff108s, but oh well.

What’s left probably speaks more to stock made then demand.

TR on my Jeff108 tune - you guys were right. Plenty of material down there and with the exception of a little ptex burn marking they are now almost factory pure on the bottom. Very happy with it. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    What’s left probably speaks more to stock made then demand.
    eh well yes, that was never in doubt.

The Jeff108 is ON3P's most sold ski by a mile, and in years past the end of existing stock 108s in 181/186 have been the start point for the sale of less in demand models such as wrens and the occasional BG.

That BG/BG108 tours can be had at a discount is a bit more surprising - even more surprising that they have not all gone by now, but nice nonetheless for those lucky enough to snag a pair.

Good to hear that a quick retune sorted your worries out. The thick bases and edges makes for many a retune if needed, plus make them able to withstand an incredible amount of abuse Jeff108s are killer skis too, so you should get a lot of joy out of them. My wallet cried tears of happiness as it noticed that the last 108s in 181 were gone the other day too

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    1/1 is the factory recommended.
    The question I have wondered does the ON3P "recommend" 1/1 or simply tune them to 1/1 assuming that the customer will tune them to their preference with 1/1 being the easiest point to start from? Clearly 1/1 would not be the ideal bevel for a ski to be used primarily on firmer snow.

Depends on what you're used to. I do 1/1 on everything, always have. 90° is the most durable edge profile. You can most definitely tune them to whatever you prefer though, cuz, 'murica!

Mixed feelings here. If the snow is firm enough to start talking about more aggressive edge bevels, seems like you would start the discussion with maybe skis narrower than 108 at the waist. To each their own though.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    ... simply tune them to 1/1 assuming that the customer will tune them to their preference with 1/1 being the easiest point to start from? Clearly 1/1 would not be the ideal bevel for a ski to be used primarily on firmer snow.
    Wut?

It is a pretty fair to assume that ON3P tune them to 1/1 because they find that their skis ski as intended there. I am guessing that the vast majority of people just ski their skis when they get them, they do not hand them in to get them retuned/pre-ride-tuned or do so themselves (re the wood tune debacle). As such setting up their stock skis to accomodate not where they will ski the best, but as the best starting point for further tunes seems odd at best.

As for the second point - re hard snow - true, but then again ON3Ps usual rocker lines and splay does not either - so the tune is brand consistent wrt an emphasis on soft snow performance no?

I am no ex racer super tuner guy though, so I do not know a lot about edge tuning. What little I know is what I have learned since tuning my woods. And since I am no expert I have yet to nail those tunes yet. Any day now eh

FedEx just left!

184 108bg, stock layup
    Pics don’t do the top sheet justice.
    Stoked to get on these!

Name:	6888B98D-BFAE-4A0F-BDDA-7CDC0729D313.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	411.7 KB 
ID:	371594

Drool...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Wut?

It is a pretty fair to assume that ON3P tune them to 1/1 because they find that their skis ski as intended there. I am guessing that the vast majority of people just ski their skis when they get them, they do not hand them in to get them retuned/pre-ride-tuned or do so themselves (re the wood tune debacle). As such setting up their stock skis to accomodate not where they will ski the best, but as the best starting point for further tunes seems odd at best.

As for the second point - re hard snow - true, but then again ON3Ps usual rocker lines and splay does not either - so the tune is brand consistent wrt an emphasis on soft snow performance no?

I am no ex racer super tuner guy though, so I do not know a lot about edge tuning. What little I know is what I have learned since tuning my woods. And since I am no expert I have yet to nail those tunes yet. Any day now eh
    Definitely ON3P more soft snow/park oriented. But say the Wren 102 TI, sure it has rocker, but I would think most people look at that as a daily driver low tide ski. I would want a good bite in firm snow. A 1/2 bevel at minimum would work better. As an example I bought a pair of Praxis 9D8s last year, fantastic skis 1/1 factory bevel. Change the tune to 1/2 and got significantly more edge bite in hard snow with zero sacrifice to soft snow performance. Made a really good ski even better.