Page 425 of 599 FirstFirst ... 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 ... LastLast
Results 10,601 to 10,625 of 14972
    Hey everyone - bit of a lurker but was wondering if anyone had some experience with the Billy goats vs the Rossi black ops 118? Hoping to expand my on3p quiver a bit from my woodsman108 after a season on them - they lived up to the hype and delivered tho. I guess RES design might make it a bit difficult to compare the two but the black ops is my only other real experience with a pow ski. Based in PNW if that is any help, just been reading so much about the goats now that im wondering if I shouldve followed the adage that a PNW quiver starts with the billy goat cheers, hope this is not an absolute gumby first post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210215_005504031.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	370234

Has anyone written a synopsis of Asym RES vs. Normal RES

Name:	Image1617504679.084618.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	370373

WA has a ton of snow and someone is very excited for touring season

I have been pretty glowing in my praise of Woodsman108tour so far, and deservedly so. They are awesome for what I got them for: 60/40 playing around in resorts (wonky knee / more approachable woods108 skis) and the occasional tour.

After a few more days of spring snow skiing on my BG108tours - inteded as my new main touring ski - in conditions ranging from refrozen snow, through somewhat sticky fresh to lightly sunbaked snow yet not all the way slush or corn, they are inching their way toward full on GOAT status for me as a soft snow specific touring ski. And since I tour to find soft snow that equals GOAT touring ski.

They are not as strong on edge on refrozen snow as Woodsman108tours, but as those segments will see pretty conservative skiing I do not really mind. So where Auvgeek stated that he thought something like a Woodsman108tour would be his 90% of the time touring ski, BG108tours will be my 90% touring ski for me from now on. I do not find that BG108t do not require pow to be fun re being a pow shape, just any type of soft layer on top.

Sure, they are going to be strong on the down when used with Tectons and XT3 130s, but man - aren't they just fekking magical. I know that this feedback surprises exactly nobody in the BG fan camp, but I fully endorse the hype previously posted in this thread.

I've ridden them back to back with BMT90s (177) and BMT109s (176) - two skis I love, both mounted with Vipecs - and there is really no comparison. While BG108tours weigh a bit more, they bump in skiability is pretty significant. The difference in use is that where it feels like I kinda sketch my way down in certain spots with the BMTs where it kinda feels like the skis are all over the place, I actively try to get more speed and jump off stuff with the BG108Ts. They are so predictable and strong that I do not really worry what will come next, I know that whatever might come I can just dump speed on a dime if I need to while I stay in control - which gives me a ton of confidence to just go. Sure, they have not transformed me into Reine just yet (nor will they ever), but still - they are fun and a real enabler in making me look further ahead. I will try them back to back with BMT109s once more, then with XT3s on both pairs for a true comparison.

Not to be overly positive or anything, but I can't remember the last time I had this much fun in spring snow. The double touring ski purchase is turning out to be quite the home run, which just keeps on giving

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Has anyone written a synopsis of Asym RES vs. Normal RES
    The RES is not Asym or regular. The only difference is in the tip and tail shape. The ASYM in my opinion handles uphill catching better in sun crust or super mank snow (less to get caught and cause the bat-bat-bat-bat back and forth on skis).

Otherwise the skis are the same and both are extremely similar. I think a lot of people that are comparing these two variations and saying they are very different are not comparing apples to oranges (2013 BG vs 2020 Asym BG) instead of comparing the newer versions of RES to the newer versions of Asym RES.

Hope that makes sense.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Quote Originally Posted by fbw360 View Post
    Hey everyone - bit of a lurker but was wondering if anyone had some experience with the Billy goats vs the Rossi black ops 118? Hoping to expand my on3p quiver a bit from my woodsman108 after a season on them - they lived up to the hype and delivered tho. I guess RES design might make it a bit difficult to compare the two but the black ops is my only other real experience with a pow ski. Based in PNW if that is any help, just been reading so much about the goats now that im wondering if I shouldve followed the adage that a PNW quiver starts with the billy goat cheers, hope this is not an absolute gumby first post
    While both of the skis you mentioned are made for soft snow, they aren't very similar beyond that.

BO118 is closer to Jeffrey 116 than Billy Goat.

BO/JF will ski switch better and are both super playful pow/jib skis.

BG will handle chopped up and variable pow better with less effort, is easier to control at higher speeds, and is directional (skiing switch on the BG is extremely difficult).

If you're interested in skiing switch, go with BO or JF. If you want unwavering stability in variable/resort pow, go with BGs.

I could go on and on here, but there's really not too much left to be said about how BGs ski that hasn't already been discussed around in circles in this thread's previous 424 pages. If you type "billy goat" or "bg" into the "search thread" function, you'll see what I mean.

That sums it up really well CallMeAl.

The only thing I can add is that a Woodsman116 is a better choice than J116s or BGs if you want to drive the skis through the shovels whereas J116s are better with a centered stance, and that a Woodsman116 is better choice than BGs if you want more supportive/floatier tails and more grip on hardpack.

All are great skis, so it kinda boils down to where on the ski you want to stand ( centered to either centered/forward -> Jeff-woods/BGs), how you want to drive the skis (centered or drive the tips -> Jeff-BG-Woods) and if you want the ability to go switch vs BGs pivotable directionalness (Jeff-Woods-BG). /=similar -=scale

Def RES stoke over here. Last three days of skiing have provided first BG108t stoke, then a dump provided C&D stoke, and today, another dump that was heavily wind affected had the BGs shine. All are such good skis.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 04-06-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Name:	168707275_278141513899475_3925565066195159866_n.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	588.9 KB 
ID:	370616

Late season birthday present.
    Training for Alpental

^^^Didn't you give up skiing a couple seasons ago because of injury?
    If that was you, glad to see you back on snow man.
    Nice lookin' setup btw!

Very, very nice!

J116s?

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    ^^^Didn't you give up skiing a couple seasons ago because of injury?
    If that was you, glad to see you back on snow man.
    Nice lookin' setup btw!
    I actually started this year snowboarding, but I actually end up with worse knee pain than I ever do skiing any time I get some edge chatter. Not sure that's why I went back to a snowboard. I think it had something to do with a pretty good beater and a shin top injury short of a break that just would not give up. I actually called Scott on my way back from snowboarding one day to tell him I was coming to get a pair of skis.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Very, very nice!

J116s?
    Give or take.
    Training for Alpental

any modifications compared to stock? (besides the C&D graphic)
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 04-06-2021 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by goolick View Post
    I would just just take a file or gummi stone to it. Not conclude the ski had been built wrong.
    Where do you get from any of my post that I think the ski was built wrong.

When I said detune, I meant I rubbed a Diamond stone across it. Gummi would not really do it. But never said the ski was built wrong.

Tip looks a little RES’y to me? Maybe Scott figured out how to put it on the jib skis

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Tip looks a little RES’y to me? Maybe Scott figured out how to put it on the jib skis
    So update because Scott said it's cool.

Next years J118.

Besides the width the tip taper is changed up a bit from what I was told.
    Last edited by Sessiøn; 04-06-2021 at 07:16 PM.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    So update because Scott said it's cool.

Next years J118.

Besides the width the tip taper is changed up a bit from what I was told.
    Think it’s gonna have some of that Caylor feel?

Name:	168707275_278141513899475_3925565066195159866_n.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	588.9 KB 
ID:	370616

Late season birthday present.
    I see what you did there. And I like it.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Next years J118.
    Ah, nice - can't wait for more info on next year's line

WRENEGADE 110 PRO vs 108 TI?

I searched through this thread but could only find 1 review of the Wren 110 Pro on this site and just a short clip on the Blister podcast and was looking to understand how different the 110 Pro was from the 108.

I currently have a 184cm Wren 108 Ti that is a great ski, but I want a bit more. I like pressing hard into the shovels and the freeride rocker profile is less directional than I'm used to. I moved the mount point back 1.5 cm and that made a good difference, but I think I just want more ski. (I'm about 6'1" 250lbs and primarily ski at Crystal.)

I was debating custom ordering a 189cm 108 Ti or getting the 186cm 110 Pro?

The Wren 110 Pro is only 2cm longer than what I have but I'm wondering if the different rocker profile (especially in the tails) is enough of a difference from my 184cm 108? Or would I be better off with a 189cm 108?

Am I allowed to post on this thread yet? For a while I wasn't, like when I tried to post it immediately said mods would have to review it.

Someone please give me more info on the Wren 110 Pro! I need more! Is this the On3p for me, or should I try to customize a Wren 114?
    Last edited by AEV; 04-08-2021 at 09:35 PM.

Name:  456F6CA2-3B17-4C7C-94EB-DEEC1A020DC6.jpeg
Views: 862
Size:  77.0 KB

Aever, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
    While both of the skis you mentioned are made for soft snow, they aren't very similar beyond that.

BO118 is closer to Jeffrey 116 than Billy Goat.

BO/JF will ski switch better and are both super playful pow/jib skis.

BG will handle chopped up and variable pow better with less effort, is easier to control at higher speeds, and is directional (skiing switch on the BG is extremely difficult).

If you're interested in skiing switch, go with BO or JF. If you want unwavering stability in variable/resort pow, go with BGs.

I could go on and on here, but there's really not too much left to be said about how BGs ski that hasn't already been discussed around in circles in this thread's previous 424 pages. If you type "billy goat" or "bg" into the "search thread" function, you'll see what I mean.
    That sums it up really well CallMeAl.

The only thing I can add is that a Woodsman116 is a better choice than J116s or BGs if you want to drive the skis through the shovels whereas J116s are better with a centered stance, and that a Woodsman116 is better choice than BGs if you want more supportive/floatier tails and more grip on hardpack.

All are great skis, so it kinda boils down to where on the ski you want to stand ( centered to either centered/forward -> Jeff-woods/BGs), how you want to drive the skis (centered or drive the tips -> Jeff-BG-Woods) and if you want the ability to go switch vs BGs pivotable directionalness (Jeff-Woods-BG). /=similar -=scale

Def RES stoke over here. Last three days of skiing have provided first BG108t stoke, then a dump provided C&D stoke, and today, another dump that was heavily wind affected had the BGs shine. All are such good skis.
    Cheers, appreciate the advice - some good points of comparison I had not thought of. A pair of semi-local BGs dropped into my lap today so fuck it, went in on them. Will A/B them and can post my findings here if there is interest lol. Thanks again for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiJitsu View Post
    I searched through this thread but could only find 1 review of the Wren 110 Pro on this site and just a short clip on the Blister podcast and was looking to understand how different the 110 Pro was from the 108.

I currently have a 184cm Wren 108 Ti that is a great ski, but I want a bit more. I like pressing hard into the shovels and the freeride rocker profile is less directional than I'm used to. I moved the mount point back 1.5 cm and that made a good difference, but I think I just want more ski. (I'm about 6'1" 250lbs and primarily ski at Crystal.)

I was debating custom ordering a 189cm 108 Ti or getting the 186cm 110 Pro?

The Wren 110 Pro is only 2cm longer than what I have but I'm wondering if the different rocker profile (especially in the tails) is enough of a difference from my 184cm 108? Or would I be better off with a 189cm 108?
    I tried to send you a PM SkiJitsu, but that's currently not an option (I'm guessing there's a minimum post threshold before PM function is allowed?)...

From online specs, the 189 Wr108Ti looks a like it could be a little bit "more" ski than the 186 Wr110Pro presuming stiffness was the same, due to the 189 Wr108Ti having slightly more mass and longer effective edge than the 186 Wr100Pro. Of course, I defer to Scott/ON3P for definitive info:

Name:  Wr110Pro_vs_Wr108Ti.png
Views: 937
Size:  9.6 KB

Anyway, I'd be happy to buy your 184 Wren 108 Ti's whenever you ultimately pull the trigger for their replacements.

For whatever it's worth, I bought the last new pair of Wren 108 Ti skis that I could find online, but they're 179s. It's kinda killing me that I haven't drilled them yet, but the 184s wudda been my first choice as replacement daily drivers for my '14 OG Cochise.

If anyone is curious about the Wr108Ti 179s length, they're a true 179cm and are not that much shorter than my 184 Bibby Tours (~180.5 cm actual length) and 186 Influence 115s (~182.5 cm actual length). They also average about 2210g (2200g and 2220g individually), which I'm pretty stoked about for a chargy ski that's 179 long.

179 Wren 108 Ti is on the left, 184 BT in middle, and 186 I-115 on right:

Name:	W108Ti_BT_I115_Rockers.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	223.8 KB 
ID:	371112
    Last edited by IJK2009; 04-10-2021 at 04:59 PM.