Page 454 of 599 FirstFirst ... 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 ... LastLast
Results 11,326 to 11,350 of 14972
    So many skis. I want to try the new Wren Pro too, even though it's slightly short.

Quote Originally Posted by AEvospace View Post
    What do the 114s do better than 108s?
    Everything... haha JK, but seriously just about. As has been mentioned by others, they are a wider more stable platform and a straighter radius. I dont think they are any more difficult to maneuver or pivot than the 108, its the same deep rocker profile, so why not go wider. That rocker is much more pow oriented, so it seems better suited for a wider ski.

In my quiver the only other directional ski i have in the 108 range is a Commander 108 194. That ski is designed less oriented towards pow and IMO better suited for a 108 width.

I have a Wren 114 with demo bindings and I’ll be skiing nights at Snoqualmie this year if anyone’s interested. Semi trucks, they stomp.

In.

Very interested in that as well.

Anyone here have the latest iteration of Caylors mounted forward of rec? The ole holes might put me at ~+3cm from stamp
    (Rec is -4.5, but measured my pair and stamp is closer to -5, so +3 from stamp would put me just inside -2 from center)
    Know a couple of guys who love their pair at +2 (-2.5), but a little hesitant to deviate more than 2cm forward.. just curious where you guys have yours mounted..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Everything... haha JK, but seriously just about. As has been mentioned by others, they are a wider more stable platform and a straighter radius. I dont think they are any more difficult to maneuver or pivot than the 108, its the same deep rocker profile, so why not go wider. That rocker is much more pow oriented, so it seems better suited for a wider ski.

In my quiver the only other directional ski i have in the 108 range is a Commander 108 194. That ski is designed less oriented towards pow and IMO better suited for a 108 width.
    On the few runs I have, I felt like the Wren 108 was a bit more soft snow orientated than some other 108mm skis too. That sort of suits my quiver now though, with LP105s and Declivity on opposite sides, LP105 for firm, DX for soft.

I'm going to be searching high and low for 191 Monsters and 189 Wren 114s this season.

I might be interested in trading for some super goat laps

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    I have a Wren 114 with demo bindings and I’ll be skiing nights at Snoqualmie this year if anyone’s interested. Semi trucks, they stomp.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I might be interested in trading for some super goat laps
    They’re great skis, but the supergoat is far superior in my book. It’s why I don’t have 114’s.

What's up with the Asym on the Supergoats compared to the asym on 2018-2021 regular BGs?

When I skied my Supergoats, it seemed like the asym extended past a contact point or something, and each side felt radically different in how it turned, which was less "predictable" for me outside of the fresh snow. I felt this same thing on my Skinny Quixotes. I did love them in fresh snow though, I just never ski wide open, high visibility deep snow on huge vertical faces. If I did, I would pick the SG over anything else.

However when I skied the first year asym C&Ds, I did not have this feeling on more packed soft stuff. Like it felt like that part of the ski was not engaging at all when skiing fast back to the lift, or anywhere the snow got packed down a bit more. Obviously a ton more rocker with the C&D, so other issues with it if mainly skiing packed pow, I'm not saying the CD was better on packed, just I felt the asym less.

I'm wondering how the 2021 BGs I have will feel on the more packed soft snow. Should I throw them on eBay then get some 2022s? I do like the 189 sizing for Squaw/Alpine powder bumps by 10AM, and I will still definitely get some 192s next summer either way (build a goat herd?)

Just looking at the shapes of 2018-2021 BGs and the SGs, the regular BG seems like the asym is sitting more in the rockered portion of the ski, compared to the SG. Should I "feel" the asym less on packed snow with the BG, like I did the old C&Ds?

Definitely overthinking a bit here, but given my problems with asym and I rushed into this one trying to get the last pair of 189s before they went extinct.

What's up with the Asym on the Supergoats compared to the asym on 2018-2021 regular BGs?

When I skied my Supergoats, it seemed like the asym extended past a contact point or something, and each side felt radically different in how it turned, which was less "predictable" for me outside of the fresh snow. I felt this same thing on my Skinny Quixotes. I did love them in fresh snow though, I just never ski wide open, high visibility deep snow on huge vertical faces. If I did, I would pick the SG over anything else.

However when I skied the first year asym C&Ds, I did not have this feeling on more packed soft stuff. Like it felt like that part of the ski was not engaging at all when skiing fast back to the lift, or anywhere the snow got packed down a bit more. Obviously a ton more rocker with the C&D, so other issues with it if mainly skiing packed pow, I'm not saying the CD was better on packed, just I felt the asym less.

I'm wondering how the 2021 BGs I have will feel on the more packed soft snow. Should I throw them on eBay then get some 2022s? I do like the 189 sizing for Squaw/Alpine powder bumps by 10AM, and I will still definitely get some 192s next summer either way (build a goat herd?)

Just looking at the shapes of 2018-2021 BGs and the SGs, the regular BG seems like the asym is sitting more in the rockered portion of the ski, compared to the SG. Should I "feel" the asym less on packed snow with the BG, like I did the old C&Ds?

Definitely overthinking a bit here, but given my problems with asym and I rushed into this one trying to get the last pair of 189s before they went extinct.
    Skied my 2021 BGs in a wide variety of conditions last year, and never noticed the asym in any sort of packed snow. They were very predictable.

excuse the cross post but I listed my woodsman 108s in gear swap, as their replacements are inbound.

All I should say is to never to go full Aever

I don't know about you, but I dramatically detune the front portion of the sidecut on these skis to reduce undesired "drag" on firm snow, such as very firm wind board or the run back the the lift. Of course, this behavior doesn't really exist in the 3d conditions they're designed for.

Full aever's ski just fine....I just need to have mine tuned as they are grabby AF on packed shit

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I dramatically detune the front portion of the sidecut on these skis to reduce undesired "drag" on firm snow, such as very firm wind board or the run back the the lift. Of course, this behavior doesn't really exist in the 3d conditions they're designed for.
    Very interesting. Would you mind roughly marking where you do what based on the current BG118 profile?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skis_2022_BillyGoat118_800x1500_c3719f16-6898-46b2-a921-5d897c22297f_1800x1800.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	989.1 KB 
ID:	382869

All I should say is to never to go full Aever
    yes. The same thing one can say about the SG + aever + bumps in certain resorts can probably be said for building a quiver on credit - not the best of ideas, especially when one already have a dialed 6 ski quiver where all skis are new to you and unskied

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Very interesting. Would you mind roughly marking where you do what based on the current BG118 profile?
    rockered portions get knocked down with a file or coarse/hard stone (red)
    the reverse sidecut in the front half of the ski gets detuned with a fine diamond stone (gray)
    underfoot and tail are tuned normally

this recipe works for me, but may not work for you.

super rough markup on your image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0638.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	441.5 KB 
ID:	382887

rockered portions get knocked down with a file or coarse/hard stone (red)
    the reverse sidecut in the front half of the ski gets detuned with a fine diamond stone (gray)
    underfoot and tail are tuned normally

this recipe works for me, but may not work for you.

super rough markup on your image
    perfect - that was just what I hoped for. I have not detuned as aggressively aft of the front contact point, but will experiment with it this coming winter. It makes sense though. Thanks!

I have the SG in std layup and I detune like JA, but I would think the same would be done with the new non asymmetric BG…. I had the OG 191 and the 191 that everyone loves and def prefer the SGs because of the tail and have not noticed any diff in performance in tip due to asym…

A lot of people don't notice asym the way I do. I have also noticed that people that do have some issues with asym, have different issues than I do. I know I'm not alone in my specific problem with it, but it's a very small percentage of people that feel what I'm talking about.

I will only know about the 2021s by skiing them, so it's worth a mount for sure at this point. I think they should be good for, like how the C&Ds were. I will start building a goat herd next year with some 192s. Maybe as early as the new year, if I get some $$$

Random thought: I wish the topsheet "ON3P" letter coloring was an option in the custom ski builder.

A lot of people don't notice asym the way I do. I have also noticed that people that do have some issues with asym, have different issues than I do. I know I'm not alone in my specific problem with it, but it's a very small percentage of people that feel what I'm talking about.

I will only know about the 2021s by skiing them, so it's worth a mount for sure at this point. I think they should be good for, like how the C&Ds were. I will start building a goat herd next year with some 192s. Maybe as early as the new year, if I get some $$$
    AE, my comments were not directed towards you…. My point was regardless of ASYM or non ASYM the detuning should be the same…

I was just adding in.

I've never had to detune any of my RES skis before, they always skied perfectly right out of the plastic. I will try more with the asym 2021s if they give me any issue. I have a feeling these will be good though.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    building a quiver on credit - not the best of ideas, especially when one already have a dialed 6 ski quiver where all skis are new to you and unskied
    The old me woulda financed some Wren Pros and 192 BGs by now. The only reason I'm not doing that now is because I already PayPal credited (6 month no interest) these other BGs and DXs. Old me woulda just plowed through and figured it out later. I still gotta get another (smaller cc) MX bike before the years end too, that'll probably be on credit.

Anyone here do a custom white top w/ white sidewalls?

Quote Originally Posted by WILLSKIFAST View Post
    Random thought: I wish the topsheet "ON3P" letter coloring was an option in the custom ski builder.
    Vision of Iggys head exploding but I hear ya. I would also want individual letter color selection.
    Uno mas

Thank Ullr that Iggy knew I was broke, and knew not to create 192 WD110 in Slate Camo/Blue sidewalls for $779, because I would be full on right now