Page 498 of 599 FirstFirst ... 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 ... LastLast
Results 12,426 to 12,450 of 14972
    The discussion comparing PF to C&D also needs more clarification. I believe there are three different versions of the PF. The original which I own a 186, the second version (same shape, convex base) and the third version (Wider tip&tail, RES and assymetrical convex base). The first and second probably ski quite similar but I would guess that the third version skis a bit different than the others and maybe closer to the current C&D than the others).It would therefore be nice to know which PF we are comparing to what year of the C&D (although it seems to be talk mostly about the current version).

Excellent point. 196cm first version for me.

Quote Originally Posted by travel_to_ski View Post
    The discussion comparing PF to C&D also needs more clarification. I believe there are three different versions of the PF. The original which I own a 186, the second version (same shape, convex base) and the third version (Wider tip&tail, RES and assymetrical convex base). The first and second probably ski quite similar but I would guess that the third version skis a bit different than the others and maybe closer to the current C&D than the others).It would therefore be nice to know which PF we are comparing to what year of the C&D (although it seems to be talk mostly about the current version).
    There are two 191cm proto pairs, which is making me more interested in what Kid saw recently, if it was one of those - all production lengths were 186 or 196.

Quote Originally Posted by RudyGarmisch View Post
    There are two 191cm proto pairs, which is making me more interested in what Kid saw recently, if it was one of those - all production lengths were 186 or 196.
    oh, my bad - that was a pair of stock 2017 C&Ds, not PFs.

Pro tip: Don't demo touring skis inbounds after spending all morning on the BG118's...
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by ls13 View Post
    Current '18 Wren 108 186 (these Wrens were less stiff in tips and tails) skier here... Love 'em. 5'9, 170, age 58. Enjoy doing fast long radius turns, side mountain, tree bumps, etc. As I'm getting older, looking for something I can pivot faster in the bumps, easier on knees and hips, and a ski that requires less attention to do shorter radius turns on ski'd out groomers with my kids (ie icy hardpack; I feel I have to really concentrate to get the turn started earlier, and feather in hard pressure to get the big Wrens to turn short on hardpack without sliding out). Have older 98 Kartels. Enjoyed them, but didn't like battling with foreaft balance on high speed turns in mixed conditions (bumps were fun on these skis, lots of tail though, and didn't ski that much switch). Love ON3P for the damped, stable feel.
    Shorter length 102 ti's? 102 or 96 Woodsman? Custom Titanal Woodsman? Holy Shred?
    Appreciate y'alls thoughts.
    Hi all;
    I posted this some time back. I've been thinking quite a bit about this, along with ski specifications, skiing technique, etc. I came back with some issues skiing my Wrens after a week of skiing on hardpack and steep, tight rutted bumps. Basically, there hadn't been new snow for awhile. The last day, it warmed up, snow was soft, and I was in bliss. Basically, I love my Wrens and BG's, and can't imagine swapping them out. Except...for hard snow conditions.
    I see a number of ON3P skiers talking about the challenges of the skis on ice. For me, I think the combination of being quite stiff underfoot, shorter effective edge due to rocker, wider width underfoot, and long turning radius are the reasons (please jump in here if this assessment is incorrect). I was able to improve my hardpack skiing by very consciously initiating the turn earlier, and edging very smoothly ramp up pressure to bend the ski into a shorter turn (they are also getting tuned right now, which may help). However, for the number of ski days I currently get, I have to consciously think to execute this. If I initiate late or am too herky jerky pressuring and edging, they will wash out. I watch my 8 year olds with their narrow noodle skis doing tight turns right down the ice ahead of me...
    I think all of this might come back to the "low tide" resort ski. One with longer effective edge length, perhaps a bit more flexible, narrower, shorter turn radius, and (fill in the blanks here). I would like it to be pretty heavy to blast through off piste harder snow, and a bit more forgiving in hard rutted bumps. I feel that the 96ti might fill some of this bill (or all of it? or does the WD96?). It seems that Scott's bamboo layup would be pretty ideal for this. Or does ON3P, in their spare time (I know, I know... I listened to the Gear 30 podcast), interested in coming up with a low tide directional ski? Or just leave this segment of the market to someone else? (wish I could just quit work, and get about 30 more ski days a year. Then I would just ski the 110 pro Wrens)
    Last edited by ls13; 02-22-2022 at 07:31 AM.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

after putting 300+ days on my 11/12 billygoats i hadn’t owned any for too long. finally fixed it. think the top sheets make them spin? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7617.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	992.3 KB 
ID:	406896

Just got home after finally riding for the first time the '21 WD108s that I picked up from Huskydoc who got them via Bandit. Absolutely loved them from the first run and are exactly what I was looking for and hoping they'd be. Couldn't be happier.

As I mentioned in a previous post, after adjusting the bindings forward to fit my smaller boot they're mounted at a little over a +1 from rec. Experienced no tail catching or 'locked in' feeling that has been mentioned here before and they were lightning quick in the tight Hyak trees. Super easy to pivot from that spot too and floated fine in the small pow stashes I found. Take everything with a grain of salt as I've never been on Woods at recommended or back a bit. Can't wait to get them out in different conditions.
    Last edited by lrn2swim; 02-21-2022 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    finally fixed it.
    Oh my.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0614.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	407078

The billygoat experiment continues.

The inside edge of the asym ski looks nearly identical to the new one. And the tail rocker on the 21/22 BG is ever so slightly higher than the SG. I’m
    looking forward to getting out on these.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    To me a SG is the perfect resort pow ski, plenty wide, if it’s deep — just go faster and seek out fall line. As things recycle they just get better!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    QFT

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Got a great day on my OG Woodsman 108 Monday. My time with them has been strange in that I just haven’t had many chances to ski them. First two times were low tide early season last year. Monday was 4-6” new on top of a bigger dump from the previous day. I really wanted to take the BGs but forced myself to take a decent day on the Woodsman and they did not disappoint!

Very similar character to the BG with less float and less loose tails. A natural and intuitive switch though. No complaints in the off piste powder stuff where they had great float, were quick, and the tails released easily. Never got any hooky feeling even in low angle slow stuff. The type of terrain that gave me problems on say my old Bibbys. Great in the side country zone that was probably 12” untouched.

There was a bit of crust around and I made sure to spend some time ripping some chopped up packed/groomer runs. Again, very intuitive and natural for me. The best compliment I can give them is I didn’t have to think about them at all while carving or slarving. The fore/aft balance felt right as a skier that sometimes centered and sometimes drives a bit.

Sick skis and I’m very happy with them as part of a two ski west coast quiver with my Billy Goats.

Name:  6C98147D-1693-4C26-8D4C-43AC26E93F8F.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  165.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Got a great day on my OG Woodsman 108 Monday. My time with them has been strange in that I just haven’t had many chances to ski them. First two times were low tide early season last year. Monday was 4-6” new on top of a bigger dump from the previous day. I really wanted to take the BGs but forced myself to take a decent day on the Woodsman and they did not disappoint!

Very similar character to the BG with less float and less loose tails. A natural and intuitive switch though. No complaints in the off piste powder stuff where they had great float, were quick, and the tails released easily. Never got any hooky feeling even in low angle slow stuff. The type of terrain that gave me problems on say my old Bibbys. Great in the side country zone that was probably 12” untouched.

There was a bit of crust around and I made sure to spend some time ripping some chopped up packed/groomer runs. Again, very intuitive and natural for me. The best compliment I can give them is I didn’t have to think about them at all while carving or slarving. The fore/aft balance felt right as a skier that sometimes centered and sometimes drives a bit.

Sick skis and I’m very happy with them as part of a two ski west coast quiver with my Billy Goats.

Name:  6C98147D-1693-4C26-8D4C-43AC26E93F8F.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  165.0 KB
    When would you reach for the Woodsmans over the BG?

Hi all;
    I posted this some time back. I've been thinking quite a bit about this, along with ski specifications, skiing technique, etc. I came back with some issues skiing my Wrens after a week of skiing on hardpack and steep, tight rutted bumps. Basically, there hadn't been new snow for awhile. The last day, it warmed up, snow was soft, and I was in bliss. Basically, I love my Wrens and BG's, and can't imagine swapping them out. Except...for hard snow conditions.
    I see a number of ON3P skiers talking about the challenges of the skis on ice. For me, I think the combination of being quite stiff underfoot, shorter effective edge due to rocker, wider width underfoot, and long turning radius are the reasons (please jump in here if this assessment is incorrect). I was able to improve my hardpack skiing by very consciously initiating the turn earlier, and edging very smoothly ramp up pressure to bend the ski into a shorter turn (they are also getting tuned right now, which may help). However, for the number of ski days I currently get, I have to consciously think to execute this. If I initiate late or am too herky jerky pressuring and edging, they will wash out. I watch my 8 year olds with their narrow noodle skis doing tight turns right down the ice ahead of me...
    I think all of this might come back to the "low tide" resort ski. One with longer effective edge length, perhaps a bit more flexible, narrower, shorter turn radius, and (fill in the blanks here). I would like it to be pretty heavy to blast through off piste harder snow, and a bit more forgiving in hard rutted bumps. I feel that the 96ti might fill some of this bill (or all of it? or does the WD96?). It seems that Scott's bamboo layup would be pretty ideal for this. Or does ON3P, in their spare time (I know, I know... I listened to the Gear 30 podcast), interested in coming up with a low tide directional ski? Or just leave this segment of the market to someone else? (wish I could just quit work, and get about 30 more ski days a year. Then I would just ski the 110 pro Wrens)
    Hey man,

Your message is a little hard to follow but I have a pair of woods 96 that I use for (out west) low tide and they are incredible. I love them.

This is my second year on them and I just got back from some serious low tide at Lake Louise and Kicking Horse and they were great.

I’ve also skied them in 30+ cm of fresh snow and they punch well above their weight. I think the 2022 102s would be great for a similar task as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    When would you reach for the Woodsmans over the BG?
    Well that's a good question. I don't get up as much as I'd like and mainly do storm chasing, so I'll probably have more BG days overall. No new snow is obviously Woodsman. If it's up to 4-6" new on crust then probably Woodsman. Here in the PNW anything over 6" and I'm probably grabbing the BG. If it's a soft base with any amount of new, BG is never a bad choice. Really depends on the ski area and what I think I'll be skiing most of the day. I don't think I'd be disappointed on the Woodsman up to about 12" but after that I'd probably be annoyed I wasn't on the BGs but just because I love them so much!

So for Monday, I could have gone either way and been happy. We had some legit powder turns but plenty of packed out runs too. Mostly soft on the mountain but some crust. I would have been happy on either, but overall Woodsman was a great choice. There wasn't enough new snow to get in to a couple of the awesome tree zones with the crust underneath, but if the base had been soft in the trees I would have preferred the BGs just because they pivot so damn easy.

TLDR probably 0" to 4-6" new Woodsman, anything more Billy Goat. Woodsman 108/110 would make a killer west coast one ski quiver though too.
    Last edited by mtskibum16; 02-23-2022 at 01:14 PM.

The swedish post just dropped some goodies off and I decided to get to mounting my own fucking skis (not really hard since I have the jigs).

Woodsman 110
    Jeffrey 102
    Not pictured is a Woodsman 110 tour to be mounted with Backland tour.

Name:	D091604E-0878-4C56-B2AD-54421735D00B.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	643.6 KB 
ID:	407143

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Just got home after finally riding for the first time the '21 WD108s that I picked up from Huskydoc who got them via Bandit. Absolutely loved them from the first run and are exactly what I was looking for and hoping they'd be. Couldn't be happier.

As I mentioned in a previous post, after adjusting the bindings forward to fit my smaller boot they're mounted at a little over a +1 from rec. Experienced no tail catching or 'locked in' feeling that has been mentioned here before and they were lightning quick in the tight Hyak trees. Super easy to pivot from that spot too and floated fine in the small pow stashes I found. Take everything with a grain of salt as I've never been on Woods at recommended or back a bit. Can't wait to get them out in different conditions.
    Glad that they found a good local home. They are a really great PNW daily driver for the right skier. The balance of agility and stability is hard to match. I elected let them go not because they weren't a great ski, but rather that the Volkl M102/K108 type ski just fit my "personality" better. After the BG, the WD108 is probably one of the best ON3P's I have skied, and I've tried a few.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Hi all;
    We talked about this actually a few pages back. a low 90's, lower tip rockered ski with some titanal in it. In my case it's something I would like for ripping groomers until eveything softened up, and I could jump back on my Jeffrey's.
    Training for Alpental

Posting this in hopes of someone magical coming along and saving the day here.
    Managed to snap my left 189 ASYM Billy Goat today on a crash so gutted that this happened as it’s my go to and favourite ski of all time.

Does anyone by chance have a LEFT 189 Billy Goat ASYM for sale? Doesn’t have to be the same top sheet as I know there were a couple years they did that.

Name:	IMG_1728.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	407805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1730.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	407806

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Glad you dig them. Part of me feels like I may wind up on a pair again eventually, solid ski

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Glad you dig them. Part of me feels like I may wind up on a pair again eventually, solid ski
    Thanks dude! Had them in about 8 inches yesterday, were great but I'm not use to having that little up front. Once I trusted that they wouldn't dive and I could stay forward they were perfect.

Also, on another note. These just showed up today. 189 Wren102ti's next to the Woods. Can't freaking wait to get out on these suckers. Holy shit they're gorgeous, thanks Viva! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220228_121201.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	407846

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Two pair of WD’s 182’s just popped up on eBay. I decided to go for the 102’s. 110’s still there…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to get a lap on those wrens this winter if we cross paths at the pass.

Thanks dude! Had them in about 8 inches yesterday, were great but I'm not use to having that little up front. Once I trusted that they wouldn't dive and I could stay forward they were perfect.

Also, on another note. These just showed up today. 189 Wren102ti's next to the Woods. Can't freaking wait to get out on these suckers. Holy shit they're gorgeous, thanks Viva! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220228_121201.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	407846

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ON3P Jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by travel_to_ski View Post
    The swedish post just dropped some goodies off and I decided to get to mounting my own fucking skis (not really hard since I have the jigs).

Woodsman 110
    Jeffrey 102
    Not pictured is a Woodsman 110 tour to be mounted with Backland tour.

Name:	D091604E-0878-4C56-B2AD-54421735D00B.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	643.6 KB 
ID:	407143
    Nice job on the home mount. Big fan of the Jeffreys myself.