Page 558 of 599 FirstFirst ... 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 ... LastLast
Results 13,926 to 13,950 of 14970
    Best deal for stock ON3Ps ever? Use "flash" for an additional 100usd off all discounted stock skis over the memorial weekend. Yes - 599 for killer skis that lasts forever - awesome deal.

Man, too bad the exchange rate is freaking terrible right now - I would have ordered a full Jeff run if not.

Great deal for great skis that take more abuse than a baja truck - buy em now or regret it when your flimsy ass non-ON3Ps fall apart

dammit - I so want some jeffs. Damn you exchange rate (my last order 8/1, now 11/1).

Got on some 189 wren 102ti's this last weekend at mammoth. Snagged a pair of the limited edition final run purely out of FOMO. I needed these skis like I needed a hole in the head, but didn't want to miss out on the era of the wren after being a satisfied BG customer since pre-asym. Here are some random thoughts in no particular order:

1.) i run a base bevel guide over all new skis to make sure I won't have any crazy edge catching nightmare experiences, and go 1* base on all frontside skis but 1.5* on most directional chargers. Running a dedicated 1.5* base bevel guide on these i was not even pulling any material, meaning they are at LEAST 1.5* base bevel from the factory (almost certainly slightly more). I am 100% cool with this, as i like that kind of tune on variable snow chargers, but worth a note as i really never get a ski out of the wrapper >1.5* base bevel

2.) the edges are case hardened like nothing i have ever seen. I set the side bevel to 2* using my usual "mark with sharpie and use files until the sharpie is gone (before polishing)" method and had a bitch of time cutting back the sharpie marked edges. I wasn't hitting sidewalk either (the sidewalls are angled and I wasn't getting any plastic or fiberglass on the file). I had to go to TOWN with insanely aggressive silicon carbide stones and a sharp panzar file to cut back any edge at all. I have never seen anything like this and it was super hard to work on, but something i only do once to set the bevel and rarely thereafter to remove damage, so... it's ok

3.) the factory detune was also more aggressive than I would personally do (it was a good bit past the rocker section into the camber section and a fair bit more rounded than a firm gummy would achieve). Most people won't care, and it's totally understandable on soft snow and park skis, but the 102ti in my eyes is for firm variable conditions, so getting a bitchin edge in the cambered section is something i want, and I really had to work at getting that this time. Overall construction and workmanship and durability are typical on3p, and even though I struggled to tune the edges, the tune is what most people will want out of the wrapper i'm sure

4.) at 6' and 180lbs, mediocre by TGR standards, the 189 skis long for me. I love my 189 BG's and would never go shorter, but i kinda wish i had gone 184 on these. It's fun for the stability in the runouts, but in deep spring bumps and techy chutes, i always felt the extra length a little bit. It would regularly hang me up just ever so slightly anytime it got tight. It was definitely manageable and didn't TOTALLY suck. It was more like 80% great on the 189cm and 20% aware of fighting the extra material length. Basically, if the skis can run (like the bottom half of chair 23 at mammoth) I wouldn't dream of downsizing, but when skiing bumps that get quite deep in spring slush (the top of chair 23), it's annoyingly obvious they were all set by skis 10-20cm shorter

5.) the tip is the typical newer wren rocker profile, and it is both more total splay and more abrupt than the super mellow heritage labs FL113 tip rocker I have been skiing all spring. It can plane up and over stuff better than the lower tip designs, but i found it could also really launch you if you hit a bump off balance. The speed limit is very, very high on this ski, but to achieve it i had to ski more dynamically and plan ahead much more to air transitions off of features. Subtle reverse camber skis like the FL113 and bodacious let me rage around more mindlessly, but the feeling is different on the wren 102ti (more poppy), and it isn't a lower limit... just different

6.) the ski is very adequately damp/plush/smooth/suspension-y or whatever the kids are calling it these days, but they aren't THE dampest skis. Just very average heavy metal charger damp, which is quite good. But what these skis DO have is the aforementioned POP. Holy shit i have never boosted so high off of medium and small features on a metal laminate directional charger. It was kinda like being on a park ski. It was nuts and pretty fun because obviously landing was even easier on these beasts

7.) the sweet spot for me on the wren design was probably the 184 wren 108 ti for my use case. I like these skis quite a bit, but had no real need for anything of this kind other than quadruple quiver overlap just for the sake of it. I could ski a little faster and a little more confidently in most conditions if i downsized to 184, and i prefer the slightly larger turn radius (~27m on 108ti vs ~22m on 102ti) for turn shape, and i think the slight increase in width would give a tiny bit more float than it would give up in edge hold. I imagine it kinda just comes down to if you want to err slightly towards firm variable or soft variable for which model you pick. Seriously though if anyone with 184 wren 108ti's in good condition is interested in a possible trade then hit me up

Overall i only got a brief feel for these over two full days skiing in mammoth's epic spring conditions (full refreeze to deep corn to rotten slush), but i could really see skiing the wren 102ti as an every day for someone who wants a variable firm charger or a wren 108ti as an everyday variable soft charger, so long as you favor a dynamic, active, and poppy style. Personally I have found the driftier designs of the FL113 and bodacious a bit easier, but the wren 102ti was immediately very familiar and i could figure out how to ski and enjoy it in any conditions (other than fully refrozen coral reef and super slushy/grabby deep bumps) right away. I will post more thoughts on these if they come to me later, but just wanted to get some info out on these, as I feel they are one of the least talked about skis in this thread

^^^ Thanks for the input. Kinda happy I snagged 184 102ti after reading that. I recently let go of some 184 Wren 108's from the earlier, softer iterations. They were great, but somewhat not in neither the (my interpretation of) all mountain nor pow category. I'm hoping the 184 102ti's will be to me what the 183 BC Justis wasn't...

yeah, killer review Would love to get on a pair as well

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    ^^^ Thanks for the input. Kinda happy I snagged 184 102ti after reading that. I recently let go of some 184 Wren 108's from the earlier, softer iterations. They were great, but somewhat not in neither the (my interpretation of) all mountain nor pow category. I'm hoping the 184 102ti's will be to me what the 183 BC Justis wasn't...
    I admittedly ski out east, but use the 184 102ti as my daily driver - love it's versatility on hardpack in all turn shapes and it's not at all demanding in the bumps or trees, can hold a carve except on true ice, but makes any stashes (natural or manmade) so much fun, has whatever addictive aspect of the ON3P bamboo core combination of poppy but stable. The only time I find myself reaching for something else is pure ice after a refreeze or powder. For reference, I love the Jeffery 116s in powder (BGs if it's a true 3D snow day), so it's not like I'm the traditional Wren hard charger who only makes big turns. I just find myself coming back to them every time I try something else 80-90% of the out days out east.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

any news from the factory party for those who were lucky enough to attend?

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    any news from the factory party for those who were lucky enough to attend?
    It was sweet. Beer + brats + skis is a winning combo. Some folks who work in the factory were hanging out and I had a great time shooting the shit with them and a friend I brought along.

There were some pairs/returns being sold. Got myself some Mango 100s for chill days/park laps next year. Also got my girlfriend a pair of Kartel 98s.

There's a ski coming out for one of their athletes next season and it looks sick. I won't say anymore because idk if I'm allowed to or not and I want to go back if they host it again next year

Yeah scored some Jeff110’s I’d been holding off on. Going to throw shifts on them and lighten the BG110 with a pair ATK freeraider15’s for a daily tour setup.

Sounds like some cool custom options for next year.

Didn’t even realize the Aerial Photo overlays on the Jeff’s, super cool details especially since that’s my line of work

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1685910765.322295.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	214.8 KB 
ID:	460878

Name:	Image1686110096.381924.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	461156

Name:	Image1686110138.261906.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	461157

dope

sick skis

I think I might have to get a pair of those during the custom sale this summer

Name:	Image1686284812.301388.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	461335

Name:	Image1686284644.071834.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	261.8 KB 
ID:	461334

Name:	Image1686284827.852389.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	991.7 KB 
ID:	461336

Woods Tours went on a long walk with me this past week in WA. Please disregard the crusty socks drying from the toe pieces.

rad

High quality summer skiing stoke! Crusty socks just add to the radness imo.

EDIT: Also I remember seeing a few folks looking for Charlie Murphy... They made 12 pairs this season. FLASH code for $100 off still works too, so go get em for the Groms out there!
    https://shop.on3pskis.com/products/2023-charlie-murphy

Anybody found reasons to deviate from the recommended line on Wrens? Besides hole conflicts, that is...

My fingers are itching to drill the 102ti's as a bit of summer therapy!

Quote Originally Posted by waxoff View Post
    Anybody found reasons to deviate from the recommended line on Wrens? Besides hole conflicts, that is...

My fingers are itching to drill the 102ti's as a bit of summer therapy!
    I ski mine on the recommended lines and love them.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoski View Post
    I ski mine on the recommended lines and love them.
    Yeah, that's where I put them. Was happy on the line on the 108's. Not many voices in here this time of season though, but thought I'd ask anyway. 😎

On the line is a good choice. I've pondered remounting various pairs over the years just to see how they ski there, but never ended up doing it.

I've skied Wood110s at on the line & at +1 (skied no better or worse, just differently) and Kartel116s at -2 (skied well in both spots, I now understand that my issues with that ski were down to binding delta).

don't be shy though - let's see some pics of the newly mounted sticks!

On the line is a good choice. I've pondered remounting various pairs over the years just to see how they ski there, but never ended up doing it.

I've skied Wood110s at on the line & at +1 (skied no better or worse, just differently) and Kartel116s at -2 (skied well in both spots, I now understand that my issues with that ski were down to binding delta).

don't be shy though - let's see some pics of the newly mounted sticks!
    Right, here they are... The matching Griffons is another sweet story, as a Scandiland sports chain were dumping them one spring weekend for under fifty bucks, yeah that´s right, sub fiddy! Only white, and only with 90 mm brakes though but I had wider Royal brakes since before. Sweet!

Name:	small Wren 102ti.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	181.1 KB 
ID:	462648

^^^BTW, I snagged two pairs of them binders back then. 😁

damn - nice!

On the line is a good choice. I've pondered remounting various pairs OF WRENS over the years just to see how they ski there, but never ended up doing it.
    edited for clarity
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 06-23-2023 at 03:43 AM.

My favorite ever ski has been the Rossignol Super 7 (L:195cm, w:116mm) from 2010-2012. They are super heavy, damp, slarvy and playful in powder and crud, drives hard through crud, have no speed limit with nice metal layers, and carve well enough on groomers.

I have a cast setup waiting to be mounted on my next replacement of the Super 7s. What ON3P ski is most similar to what I described in the Super 7s?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Billy Goat is most similar to Super 7s. IME BGs are more more stable in chop/crud and just as slarvy and playful (if not more) than Super7s in pow. Super7s are slightly better on firm groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Billy Goat is most similar to Super 7s. IME BGs are more more stable in chop/crud and just as slarvy and playful (if not more) than Super7s in pow. Super7s are slightly better on firm groomers.
    ^ this. BG is better at everything except carving. On a S7 it can actually be fun, whereas on a BG it's just getting by (not difficult at all to turn in groomers, but it is limited to underfoot/tail steering "carves" by the RES tip)