Page 8 of 598 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    definitely grabbing a pair of wren 88s, and kartel 108s. When will you take our money?
    Soonish to fairly soon. Keep an eye out over the next few weeks for more info...and that's a pretty sick quiver in the making .
    You should have been here yesterday!

How does the new Wrenegade 98 compare to the old race room LPs? I've been on a feverish hunt for the last couple of years trying to find a suitable (directional, stiff, < 100 underfoot) replacement and the 98 sounds extremely promising. Anyone that's skied both care to compare?

Will there be a red white and blue custom topsheet this year? Like last years Thanks Obama topsheet?

I heard they were, but it is an homage to Trump...

lol, please no. put abraham lincoln on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I heard they were, but it is an homage to Trump...
    So the ski will be spray tan orange? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    There will be multiple skis made in limited pairs that will be available next season...you will be able to order them from the ON3P Champagne Room.

The absolute crusher Wren 113 will be one of those skis.
    Multiple? Tell me more about that ...

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Multiple? Tell me more about that ...
    SOON...promise.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large

New BG user here, in the southern winter right now.

So far so good, skied a whole bunch of long runs in soft snow on big open alpine terrain, with heaps more to come. Still trying to get a perfect feel for the tips, in fact for everything in front of my boots. They are a little different to other sticks. What kind of pressure and balance point do you think BG's like the most? So far - for me - seems centered with slight forward, but not too much? None of this really matters and I'll get it dialled, I just like talking new rides with others.

Only surprises I have had has been cruising slow very low angle flats on dense but soft: ski tended to hook quickly while I'm busy looking elsewhere. Took me by surprise and put me on my face once, which was embarrassing.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    So far so good, skied a whole bunch of long runs in soft snow on big open alpine terrain, with heaps more to come. Still trying to get a perfect feel for the tips, in fact for everything in front of my boots. They are a little different to other sticks. What kind of pressure and balance point do you think BG's like the most? So far - for me - seems centered with slight forward, but not too much? None of this really matters and I'll get it dialled, I just like talking new rides with others.
    I've posted this before, but:
    -in soft snow you can pretty much ski them wherever the fuck you want, but slightly forward of center is definitely pretty natural
    -on hard snow, they require tip pressure. Not a lot - that same slightly forward of center will do - but center or back will not work, period. They can tolerate a more aggressive forward stance if you are so inclined, however.
    Last edited by adrenalated; 08-06-2016 at 06:12 AM.

New BG user here, in the southern winter right now.

Only surprises I have had has been cruising slow very low angle flats on dense but soft: ski tended to hook quickly while I'm busy looking elsewhere. Took me by surprise and put me on my face once, which was embarrassing.
    What is your stance like? A quality that I find particularly fun about the BG is how well the pair performs as if it were a single board in the fresh (especially the heavy cream), with the same weight put on both skis, feet pretty close together. The tip shape is nicely snag-free and fast to change direction, so the skis glide past each other easily when snug. With the just-forward stance like you said, it smooths out a surprising level of chop and chunder, and lets you haul ass in any shape of turn.

Glad you like them. They're my faves ever. My magic skis. My precioussss

edit to add: are your skis detuned to your liking? Mine are dull as fuck in the tips and tails, but start to get sharp a couple cm's inboard of the rocker/camber inflection points... which makes me happy on any surface and hook-free.
    Last edited by Norseman; 08-05-2016 at 06:55 PM.

I thought this might have been discussed before, but... sorry

My stance is naturally a more boots-close due to lots of pow skiing and variable snow control. And I tend not to be very upright, a bit more curled over. Ugly.

Not detuned at all, just direct from the shop. Always thought 3p's were sold good to go as is. I might gummy the tips to reduce any sun-crust hooking.

For their shape and dimension, I have been impressed at how fast I can ski reasonably tight and powerful fall-line 8's if I want to. They rip that shit down hill easily and are alive. I am yet to really turbo crank them into wide open snowboard stylee.

How is corn performance?
    Life is not lift served.

There should be a thread just on Billy Goat stoke. My 191s are my favorite 3D snow skis. I'll never get rid of them. IMO they are definitely quiver skis, and I reserve them for west coast resort powder (AKA chop and mank) charging. They are heavy and pretty powerful, but also forgiving and not too stiff. They ski as if the 196 Moment Governor had a lovechild with 190 Praxis Powderboards, and made the Billy Goat. Its just as burly as the 196 Governor, maybe a bit more so, but it doesnt hold an edge as well. The tip will pivot for you like a reverse sidecut ski, but then the tail will stay in place for you if you need it, like a ski with sidecut in the tail. It's a great blend of characteristics.

At first I thought they were too pivoty, but then I learned how to ski them properly... I was trying to drive the tips and they'd act weird on me, so I eased back a touch, and now its pure Magic. Like others have said, you gotta drive them just a little bit, but not too much. They dont have a huge sweetspot, but for some reason its extremely easy to stay in the exact position needed in order to ski them correctly. So it kind of feels like they have a large sweet spot. It took me about 4 days to figure them out, but I could tell I was in love within the first run on them. Great skis.
    Last edited by aevergreene; 08-05-2016 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Mistake City

2016/2017 - ON3P SKIS Thread (Finally)

Get forward on em, they don't like weight on tails, like most pinners. The nice part is that the tips can take it. Ultimately I wanted more tail support, but I'd be surprised if that was the norm?

Not detuned at all, just direct from the shop. Always thought 3p's were sold good to go as is. I might gummy the tips to reduce any sun-crust hooking.
    Try taking a gummy to the tip and tail taper. I seem to like my skis sharp, so even a single pass with a gummy makes a big difference in how a ski feels to me. Personally, I do a single pass outside the sidecut radius to avoid any kind of "reverse carve" feeling. YMMV.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 08-06-2016 at 12:38 PM. Reason: clarification
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I've never needed to detune an ON3P, and I don't like sharp skis, but a few passes with a gummy certainly won't hurt.

My BG's were a touch hooky on the flats at first too. A simple de-tuning and it's never been a problem since. And like everyone else said, get forward on them.

Anyone have an idea of the stiffness of the Kartel 108's compared to a Bibby Pro? I'm looking for something I can blast around like my Bibby's on 0-6" days but still handle a bit of park (If this is even possible?).

Fuck it maybe I should just pick up some Wren's and mach past the park..

Kartels would do great for that. Assuming the flex is like my Jeronimos- Not a soft park ski or anything, but very lively and fun in pow and park.

Although I don't see the point of getting the 108s if you have bibbys. Go narrower

That said I think I may try to pick up a pair of wren 88s this year...

I'm with aevergreene; I also found I had to back off them a bit. The second I drove the tip, pivot. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it did require an adjustment to my usual technique. Drive from the feet not the tips. I would also say they need more of a center-forward than just forward balance.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    I'm with aevergreene; I also found I had to back off them a bit. The second I drove the tip, pivot. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it did require an adjustment to my usual technique. Drive from the feet not the tips. I would also say they need more of a center-forward than just forward balance.
    Ya, I didnt find it bad in any sense. Honestly BGs are hero skis. When I ski them its like I get instantly better. I can huck them 15 feet straight into cruddy piled up mank bumps and the skis just eat it up.. I cant do that in other cambered skis, id faceplant.. Skis like the volkl katana and 4frnt hoji can also do these type of inbounds chop landings with relative ease, but are much easier to wheelie or backslap than the BG because of the lack of camber.

Im a little upset the steeple 112 was discontinued, that was a stunning ski. It was better than the Billy Goat in some respects.. I hope On3p makes another round of Skinny Goats within the next few seasons, with the standard layup, not touring layup. I think a beefy steeple 112 would be the ultimate Resort Powder Charger.

TahoeJs 108 mini goats look killer.
    Last edited by aevergreene; 08-06-2016 at 11:01 PM.

After reading all the fluff posts about the BG I may have to try to get more time on them. I skied the 191 for a couple runs and felt they couldn't dethrone my loved 191 Lhasa fats. Conditions were a little firm though. Maybe this winter I can get on a pair in the right conditions and more than just a couple runs. I fucking love the 191fat so it's going to have to be fucking mind blowing to make me switch.

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    Ya, I didnt find it bad in any sense. Honestly BGs are hero skis. When I ski them its like I get instantly better. I can huck them 15 feet straight into cruddy piled up mank bumps and the skis just eat it up.. I cant do that in other cambered skis, id faceplant.. Skis like the volkl katana and 4frnt hoji can also do these type of inbounds chop landings with relative ease, but are much easier to wheelie or backslap than the BG because of the lack of camber.
    Wierd, I found the opposite when compared to the Katanas. The BGs softer tails seemed to be why?

I meant in super choppy resort conditions. Like it snowed 30 inches over night and its all tracked out. I think its the RES in the tip that lets me land into this crud and then pop/turn up out of it without hooking and faceplanting.

If youre talking about wheelies with the katana, I think it was the full rocker, because I find it really easy to get out of the backseat on the Billy Goat if I start to wander. Kind of like the bibby pro.. The katana will bump you back into place a bit better than the OG cochise or a Hoji, but I still could feel some (slight?) wheelie action.

The katana was better in this respect then the hoji (hoji is better in other areas tho), probably because the metal in the tail? I never actually backslapped katanas or hojis, but have felt the wheelie sensation a fair amount... But this was really only on landings or when skiing extremely fast on steep firm and transitioning to flatter spots.

I actually like the katana better than the Billy Goat or Vicik though. Its more versatile and can literally ski anything. What I could be recalling here could be from me being 6'3" 200 lbs on the 184 katana... It was a great daily driver for trees, but a little short in the tail with the mounting point, for if I got backseat..I also had the 191 metal katanas, but only put 4 days on them so not to sure if they had the same wheelie effect. I was so stupid to sell the 191 katana, it was so good. At the time, I thought newer skis would be just as versatile with new technology. Nope, huge FAIL on my part. I need to try a 191 wren 113 custom, before I give up search for a katana replacement.
    Last edited by aevergreene; 08-07-2016 at 01:11 PM.