Page 6 of 594 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quick question. My new to me 184cm demo Goats just arrived. They measure 184 straight-pull, tail to tip.

The vertically scribed line on the left sidewall of each ski is 83cm (straight pull) from the tail (9cm behind ski center). Does this sound as if it's in the right spot (measure twice, drill once and all that).

Thanks!
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Yes, that sounds correct.

I'm known to fuck with mounting points, but the ON3P folks have that shit dialed. Trust in the line.

Thanks adrenal,

Yes, I'm definitely shooting for the line with these skis. I was trying to ask if the line looks as if it was scribed in its correct spot. IOW, should it be at -9 from center of the ski?

We seem to like our mounts in similar locations: Goats on the line, Praxis (at least GPOs) in the -1 to -1.5 range.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-22-2016 at 11:13 PM.
    Galibier Design

Well the wallet took a huge hit today... Local shop that carries ON3P received an order from me today for 189 98s and 191 116s... You guys are killing it this go around and can tell you put a ton of thought into this line up...
    Last edited by Undertow; 03-22-2016 at 10:19 PM.

I have Kartel 98's and Billy Goats... Love this 2 ski quiver. Sold my Jeffrey 110's as I never reached for them. As an all mountain ski, I rarely want for more with the 98, until the snow gets deep. Then it's RES time... I think there might be room in my closet for some 88 Wrens though.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Well the wallet took a huge hit today... Local shop that carries ON3P received an order from me today for 189 98s and 191 116s... You guys are killing it this go around and can tell you put a ton of thought into this line up...
    Heh. They were gonna get someone. More dominoes will fall soon.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Heh. They were gonna get someone. More dominoes will fall soon.
    I have been lacking a sub 100 for a long time and since I have been reading reports about the 98 charging like the orig Wren this was a no brainer... I still own the very first 191 Wren and still absolutely love it and it is still going strong... The 116 on the other hand makes zero since considering that my GPO fills this spot and I love it, but totally digging the specs of this ski...

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Yes, that sounds correct.

I'm known to fuck with mounting points, but the ON3P folks have that shit dialed. Trust in the line.
    About time I see you post something coherent and based on fact.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    BOOM! Congrats.

We are super happy so far with the things we have come up with this go round.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    BOOM! Congrats.

We are super happy so far with the things we have come up with this go round.
    I can blame you for this PT...! I was set on buying 195 Motherships and than read your review on the orig 191 Wren and since than have been a fanboy...! Since I travel a shit ton versatile skis are important to me... Even though I love my 191 Billy's for POW it is def a quiver ski... The 116 to me appears to be a killer travel ski... At least I am hoping..!

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    Powtron or anyone else game to compare the Wren 98/102? Was going to pick up some 98s next year, but the 102s on sale are tempting.
    Trying again. Any comparisons?

Also, after a day on the 186 kartel 108s and a few days on the 106s, they're fun. They're not very sturdy in chop (at least under a 230 pound rider). Had a blast on soft snow, and at moderate speeds. Have been finding more to play on than on any other ski I own. Took a tumble when they folded up on me in heavier chop, guess they're not exactly the same as BGs. Who woulda guessed?

186 Kartel 108 was fun in crud, bumps and chalk. I was skiing them 2cm back per XavierD's recommendation. More playful than what I am usually skiing but plenty enough beef to support my 200lb frame. They made me want to pop off bumps. Tails were very supportive for a rockered "jib" ski. I did not personally feel the need to bump up to the 191. Plenty of tip.

I skied the big boy sized (193?) Cease and Desist as well. For those familiar with Stevens Pass, I straightlined the bottom 1/3 of Rock Garden and had no fear maching through giant refrozen crud piles of doom. These things are like bulldozers. If you ski at a mountain with short pitches (ie Stevens probably not the best tool but if you want a ski for opening it up on a big pow day at a place like Snowbird or Crystal where there are big open faces with long run-outs these are the trick. This ski is like if a 188 RC112 and a 195 Praxis Powder Board had a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    Trying again. Any comparisons?

Also, after a day on the 186 kartel 108s and a few days on the 106s, they're fun. They're not very sturdy in chop (at least under a 230 pound rider). Had a blast on soft snow, and at moderate speeds. Have been finding more to play on than on any other ski I own. Took a tumble when they folded up on me in heavier chop, guess they're not exactly the same as BGs. Who woulda guessed?
    Can't compare 98/102, but since they claim that the 98 is similar to the "proper" Wrens I'd say the 98 will be more of a narrow big mountain ski. I have the 102 and they are stable and nice skis, but nowhere near my old 09/10 Wrens when it comes to charging.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I skied the big boy sized (193?) Cease and Desist as well. For those familiar with Stevens Pass, I straightlined the bottom 1/3 of Rock Garden and had no fear maching through giant refrozen crud piles of doom. These things are like bulldozers. If you ski at a mountain with short pitches (ie Stevens probably not the best tool but if you want a ski for opening it up on a big pow day at a place like Snowbird or Crystal where there are big open faces with long run-outs these are the trick. This ski is like if a 188 RC112 and a 195 Praxis Powder Board had a baby.
    Asymmetric CD is 191 now. And yes, they are super powerful but also a lot easier to ski than past iterations. Love them.

Quick mini-review of my new (to me), 184cm demo Goats. In the 2014/15 thread, I wrote up my impressions of 112 Wrens, 112 Steeples, and Billy Goats (post #958 over here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...Lust?p=4662056), but I'll spare you linking over there by pasting this brief summary:

Billy Goat (184 cm): Even without finding any soft stuff or day old chop, my sense is that this is the ski I'm after. The Goat (being the object of my desires) was the first ski of the day. After cycling through the other two skis, I rode my GPOs for a few runs (to clear the palate) and then got back on these. In my second session with the Goats, I realized that my body had begun to "learn" the logic of how an ON3P skis, and I began to lock into them. Even though I was getting tired by this pont in the day, I found that they were easier to ski in this second session.

They are by no means as bad on hard snow as I was led to believe by some posts in this thread. I'd say they're just a "notch" back from the Wrenegades. Powtron says that next years' are even better. Let's put it this way. I'll end up with either this years' 184's or next, and I won't make a decision based on hard snow performance, because (1) it's quite good on an absolute basis (and outstanding for a soft snow ski), and (2) these will be my powder day through a couple days after ski. They'll be fine for dust on crust - this, I got plenty of, yesterday.

Steeple 112 (184 cm): Definitely a Mini-Goat/Baby Billy. Just a bit mellower than a Billy Goat, but with the same basic character. In one sense, calling it a touring ski is a disservice because it still can rail like a mother. It's much more ski than my Atomic Automatic 109 is. If I didn't own the MAP/Carbon GPO's, a Steeple and a GPO would have a death match for the winner. They're very close, and on any given day, I can see myself flipping back and forth in my preference. My GPOs are just a bit more turny, but this could be the MAP/carbon layout in the GPO.

Wrenegade 112 (186 cm): This is the ski that first brought up the thoughts about the devil on your shoulder. It's solid as a rock, and very reminiscent of my original 181 Coombas (no rocker), although I'm sure if I went back to them, I'd discover that they'd be more of a challenge to negotiate tight terrain (releasing the tip or tail when necessary). I'd definitely find a spot for this ski in my quiver, but based on my skier profile (noted above), it would be a "final piece". For others, I can see it being the first piece. I would have loved to see how it handled deep stuff, but today was not the day for this.
    Not much has changed after one full day of skiing other than getting to experience them in softer snow: about 5" of fresh at A-basin, varying from dust over crust, to sun affected powder, to dry snow in the trees.

The one thing I was pleasantly surprised about is how quick they were in the trees (soft snow). I took this on faith (others' posts), but was anxious to verify this for myself. On hardpack, my 182 GPOs (carbon layup with MAP core - not UL core) are quicker and hold a better edge. I was concerned that the Goats would carry this comparative slowness in soft snow/trees (compared with the GPOs), but happily, this was not the case.

Since this is tech talk:

• Mounted on the line with Salomon Wardens for my Dynafit Titans (302 BSL).
    • I tuned them razor sharp through the end of the sidecut at both tip and tail and dulled them from those points through the tip and tail. This feels like almost a perfect tune. I my take a gummy stone and try dulling back an inch or two from the end of the front sidecut, but the current tune is very close.

Takeaway: if it's soft, it's the Goats (big surprise, eh?), if it's dust on crust, out come the GPOs (y'all know that next years' Goats will hold a better edge in harder snow, right?). I really can't make a mistake by grabbing the "wrong" skis as both are very good, with only slightly different biases. In no way, do I feel limited on either of them, and in spite of the overlap, I'd miss either one if it weren't in my quiver. We are cork sniffing fools after all, and after years of ignoring my quiver, I'm more than enthused about bringing it current.

Oh yes, the Goats will punish you for getting in the back seat (more than the GPOs will), but I'm ok with that.

[Edit] I just checked them with my true bar, and they're perfectly flat. Kudos!

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-28-2016 at 11:25 PM.
    Galibier Design

Is there going to be an ON3P demo day at Loveland in April?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Is there going to be an ON3P demo day at Loveland in April?
    Yessir. I will be there April 9th for the Indie Test Demo.

Snowbird demo? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by surfNski43 View Post
    Snowbird demo? Please?
    We'll be at Alta on 4/9.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    We'll be at Alta on 4/9.
    I know but I don't work at Alta haha. Maybe I'll sneak trough the keyhole for a couple laps. Either way line up looks sweet and I'll be ordering some wren 108s to fill the gap between my BGs and wren 102s

I'm also thinking Kartel 106 and 116 sounds like a good combo for next season.

I currently have the Jeffrey 122 in addition to my K106. I like the 122 but I think they are a little too cumbersome if a good amount of pow days don't quite fill the bumps in and/or things get tracked out quickly. I mostly just want a little less ski on my feet so I'm thinking of replacing them with the 116 and maybe even dropping down to 181 to match my 106's. Any notes on the differences between the Jeff 122 and K116?

Quote Originally Posted by gepmeow View Post
    The surprise favorite for me was the Kartel 108 (186) near the end of the day. I had never skied any of the Kartel series since I’m typically a forward stance directional skier and figured these skis were more center stance oriented and likely not my bag. I ripped harder and had more fun on the Kartel 108 than on any other skis that day. They were immediately intuitive and although I noticed the slightly more upright stance they suggested, I could easily lean into the ski and go from hardpack to sticky spring snow and then through afternoon weekend resort chop with ease. The running length and rocker profile felt totally dialed. With a hole in my quiver between Steeple 102 and Billy Goat (116), there is potential for a Kartel 108 in my future. Yup, the Kartel 108 and Wren 88 won me over. I’m ON3P infected. Please send help.
    This is how I felt when I first skied the Kartel 106 at a Beartooth session. Had to buy them for the next season and couldn't be happier.

Any one know when the '17 skis go on sale?

Great!!

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Any one know when the '17 skis go on sale?
    I'm going to guess late summer / early fall like every other ski company ever. ;-)

^^^so status quo