Page 5 of 594 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    I'm really digging my 186 BG so far (just 2 days), but there are times in the chop when I could use a little more top end.
    At 6'5" / 200lb, does it just seem like you should be on the 191/189 instead?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpringle View Post
    Aw ... yer just lobbying to get a good deal on his skis (me: 5'9" / 170 Lbs. - breathlessly waiting on delivery of my 184's).

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Aw ... yer just lobbying to get a good deal on his skis (me: 5'9" / 170 Lbs. - breathlessly waiting on delivery of my 184's).

Cheers,
    Thom
    Haha--good eye, but I'm 6'4" / 190lb, so was coming from a pref for longer skis (currently on 193 Bodacious).

189 Billy Goat and 186 Kartel 108 make a damn fine quiver IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpringle View Post
    Absolutely! The problem is finding a pair of 191s, especially ones that aren't swiss cheese. I took what I could find when it popped up. Still a very nice ski.

Powtron, will there be any demo days north of the border in the Whistler/Vancouver area?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    189 Billy Goat and 186 Kartel 108 make a damn fine quiver IMO...
    Ok, I'll bite. Haven't seen many words about the K108.

Let's pretend I already have a 191 BG. Bring that out on days where I'll see soft snow.

For all other days - park, bumps, groomers, fuck around skiing with friends who aren't good skiers yet, etc...

Why is the k108 the perfect compliment to it? How is it different or better than the K106.

Put another way - should I try to get a 186 k106 on sale or pay retail for a 186 K108?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

No clue, never skied the 106, but this is a 16/17 thread.

The 108 had a really nice smooth turn initiation and as clean an edge grip as any other 105-110mm ski. Smooth and comfortable in a variety of turn sizes. The ON3P guys mentioned something about a new more gradual rocker profile or something along those lines between the K108 and K106.

Anybody have any insight on owning both the kt116 and the kt108, would that be too much overlap?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Anybody have any insight on owning both the kt116 and the kt108, would that be too much overlap?
    I have the Jeffrey 114 and the Kartel 106 (one a 2014 ski, one a 2015 ski). Same 8mm delta in width that you are looking at. Having not skied the new Kartel series, I say go for it. I use these skis in different ways on different days. New snow, soft snow, go with the 114. Hasn't snowed in a few days, go with the 106. Note, I ski at Crested Butte where we have not had the best year and really dig this combo. I can see on a good eyar not skiing the 106 much........that is a good thing, as it means it snowed. Again, not a perfect comparison, but a pretty good one.

Bottom line, just do it!

Thanks!

Just to add to the BG stoke, skied my new 186 13/14s for a week in Whistler a few weeks ago. (6,1/ 170, mounted on the line with fks 140s)

Ski absolutely kills it in pretty much all conditions.
    They are super easy to ski, very intuitive, I actually dont think they are as bad on groomers as others on here say. Considering the large turn radius you need some speed, but if it is soft or slushy they can make any type of turn you want, very easy to "slarve" around if you put a tiny bit of effort into it.

Had a super fun time night skiing in the rain at cypress on them. As long as it is soft you can push them very hard. Great landing platforms.

Skied quite a few late afternoon park laps on them, and they spin quite well for being such a large ski. Takes getting used too, but had fun in the large jump line on blackcomb.

In the soft they are great, very pivoty and fun. But it is when it gets more tracked out that they really shine if you ask me. When everyone else is complaining about it being tracked out, you're still having the time of your life. They just truck through it all.

Definitely a huge change from the old 11/12's i had.

So, has anybody skied the Steeple 108 yet?
    Currently the middle of my inbounds quiver is a pair of 189 BC Atris, and the middle of the touring quiver is a pair of 190 Praxis BCs.
    The Atris does not impress me that much. They are fine, but too much tail for my liking. The same can be said for the BCs, although I like them a lot more.
    Also have 102 Wrens and 186 Billygoats....love both.

Can the 108 Steeple replace both the Atris and the BCs?

March......and already rethinking next years quiver.......jeeez.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
    Powtron, will there be any demo days north of the border in the Whistler/Vancouver area?
    Not this season, unfortunately. One of our goals is to make sure we get up there one way or another next year, though
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    No clue, never skied the 106, but this is a 16/17 thread.

The 108 had a really nice smooth turn initiation and as clean an edge grip as any other 105-110mm ski. Smooth and comfortable in a variety of turn sizes. The ON3P guys mentioned something about a new more gradual rocker profile or something along those lines between the K108 and K106.
    Yep...the 108 has a longer rocker arc and also has less tail rocker than the current 106.

Nope. The K116 has a different tip shape, tip and tail taper, and flex than the 108. They actually ski quite different. K116 better in soft snow, K108 better on every day and groomers/park.

I sorta smothered the crew at the ON3P demo booth throughout the Hoodoo demo day last weekend.
    I’m 5’11” 170lb and currently have 186 Billy Goats, 184 Steeple 102 (veneer), 186 Tychoon, and 176 Tychoon Tour. I recently sold a pair of 186 Vicik since they occasionally beat me up, while the Tychoon skis more effortless and does most things I like about the Vicik. Mostly I ski the Steeple 102 or Billy Goat. I have yet to ski any generation of Wren 112, FYI.

I was most curious about the new Wrenegade 88, 98, & 108 so I skied all three widths in the 184 lengths. Starting with the Wren 88 on morning hardpack I thought it totally kicked ass. This ski is very stiff and rips a stable yet agile line at any speed. I liked the turning radius and the tails release turns way more predictably than the Tychoon or Vicik. Actually, all three of the new Wren widths release turns smoother and seem to drive through variable crud better than Tychoon or Vicik. The Wren 98 felt similar to the dampness and stability of the Vicik while being more maneuverable like the Tychoon. The Wren 108 is an excellent and confidence inspiring charger on both hardback and soft chop, but I generally prefer the Billy Goat feel for most depths of soft snow types. Of the new Wren series I liked the Wren 88 and Wren 108 both better than the Wren 98, go figure.

I briefly skied the new Billy Goat, but the snow had softened up to the point of sticky grabby goop, so it didn’t tell me much about how different they may be than my 13/14 Goats.

The surprise favorite for me was the Kartel 108 (186) near the end of the day. I had never skied any of the Kartel series since I’m typically a forward stance directional skier and figured these skis were more center stance oriented and likely not my bag. I ripped harder and had more fun on the Kartel 108 than on any other skis that day. They were immediately intuitive and although I noticed the slightly more upright stance they suggested, I could easily lean into the ski and go from hardpack to sticky spring snow and then through afternoon weekend resort chop with ease. The running length and rocker profile felt totally dialed. With a hole in my quiver between Steeple 102 and Billy Goat (116), there is potential for a Kartel 108 in my future. Yup, the Kartel 108 and Wren 88 won me over. I’m ON3P infected. Please send help.

Man, now I'm really curious how the new K108 compares to the old Jeffrey (110).
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Man, now I'm really curious how the new K108 compares to the old Jeffrey (110).
    Same deal as other things I've posted. Lower tail rocker (35cm-ish vs 40.5cm=ish), better taper and sidecut transition, little bit more of a dialed flex. Similar but upgraded for the 33rd century time travelers out there.

Like a slightly more directional, smoother turning J110.

Quote Originally Posted by gepmeow View Post
    I sorta smothered the crew at the ON3P demo booth throughout the Hoodoo demo day last weekend.
    I’m 5’11” 170lb and currently have 186 Billy Goats, 184 Steeple 102 (veneer), 186 Tychoon, and 176 Tychoon Tour. I recently sold a pair of 186 Vicik since they occasionally beat me up, while the Tychoon skis more effortless and does most things I like about the Vicik. Mostly I ski the Steeple 102 or Billy Goat. I have yet to ski any generation of Wren 112, FYI.

I was most curious about the new Wrenegade 88, 98, & 108 so I skied all three widths in the 184 lengths. Starting with the Wren 88 on morning hardpack I thought it totally kicked ass. This ski is very stiff and rips a stable yet agile line at any speed. I liked the turning radius and the tails release turns way more predictably than the Tychoon or Vicik. Actually, all three of the new Wren widths release turns smoother and seem to drive through variable crud better than Tychoon or Vicik. The Wren 98 felt similar to the dampness and stability of the Vicik while being more maneuverable like the Tychoon. The Wren 108 is an excellent and confidence inspiring charger on both hardback and soft chop, but I generally prefer the Billy Goat feel for most depths of soft snow types. Of the new Wren series I liked the Wren 88 and Wren 108 both better than the Wren 98, go figure.

I briefly skied the new Billy Goat, but the snow had softened up to the point of sticky grabby goop, so it didn’t tell me much about how different they may be than my 13/14 Goats.

The surprise favorite for me was the Kartel 108 (186) near the end of the day. I had never skied any of the Kartel series since I’m typically a forward stance directional skier and figured these skis were more center stance oriented and likely not my bag. I ripped harder and had more fun on the Kartel 108 than on any other skis that day. They were immediately intuitive and although I noticed the slightly more upright stance they suggested, I could easily lean into the ski and go from hardpack to sticky spring snow and then through afternoon weekend resort chop with ease. The running length and rocker profile felt totally dialed. With a hole in my quiver between Steeple 102 and Billy Goat (116), there is potential for a Kartel 108 in my future. Yup, the Kartel 108 and Wren 88 won me over. I’m ON3P infected. Please send help.
    Good info! Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by gepmeow View Post

Great comments. Thanks! I too had overlooked the Kartel's for the same reason you did. It's something to consider next year (just picked up the demo 184 BG's to finish off this season - delivery next week).

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-22-2016 at 12:50 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Nope. The K116 has a different tip shape, tip and tail taper, and flex than the 108. They actually ski quite different. K116 better in soft snow, K108 better on every day and groomers/park.
    Awesome, looks like i'll be going
    181 98: park (will i notice a big change in these from my 10/11 jmos?)
    186 108: everything
    191 116: powderz (are these more caylor 120, or jefrey 114)?

Will there be an option of the custom topcoats this year? especially grizzlycorns?
    Also when will we be able to purchase the skis?
    thanks for the help powtron and telechuck
    Last edited by mr_pretzel; 03-22-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Awesome, looks like i'll be going
    181 98: park (will i notice a big change in these from my 10/11 jmos?) - New flex profile and rocker is dialed more.
    186 108: everything
    191 116: powderz (are these more caylor 120, or jefrey 114)? - Closer to Caylor, but not as surfy in the tail...better in chop snow and still surfy in the the tips

Will there be an option of the custom topcoats this year? especially grizzlycorns? - YEP!
    Also when will we be able to purchase the skis? - We should have all the new stuff up by mid-Summer or very early Fall.
    thanks for the help powtron and telechuck
    There you go in bold RED for effect.

There you go in bold RED for effect.
    Totally agree with your K116/Caylor comparison.

I'm excited to do some spring skiing on my K116's.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Totally agree with your K116/Caylor comparison.

I'm excited to do some spring skiing on my K116's.
    ME TOO!

Not this season, unfortunately. One of our goals is to make sure we get up there one way or another next year, though
    Not sure it matters, this thread is convincing me. Looking forward to hearing more about how the Wren 88 skis and how it compares to something like the X-drive 8.8.