Page 542 of 599 FirstFirst ... 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 ... LastLast
Results 13,526 to 13,550 of 14972
    Anybody here ride a Jeffrey 110 tour?

Curious as to how well it does in spring-time corn skiing. Wanting a fun PNW volcano touring ski for the spring/summer months. Any reason the Woodsman would be a better choice?

ON3P SKIS Discussion

I haven’t been on either (tour layup specifically), but wanted to offer some opinions about corn and volcanoes.
    First opinion, name one ski that *isn’t* fun on perfectly ripe and shallow corn? Even an 80mm waist fully cambered ski is fun on that.
    Second opinion, with PNW and CA volcanoes, you would also ideally have a ski that isn’t terrible on the still frozen panels and chickenheads above the corn section, and also something that isn’t terrible on the sticky boot deep mank below the corn section, and also maneuverable trying to connect 4 foot wide strips of snow between blowdown and bare dirt, sometimes skimming over 5mm deep snow or even tail gunning bare dirt and vegetation to keep trying to connect strips before succumbing to booting …. So then you should ask yourself what size/shape/geometry/flex you would most enjoy for those conditions!

Personally I think I’d want a WD102 Tour on the chickenheads and mank so that I can drive the shins but still pivot the tails, but I’ve never skied the Jeff.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by MoeSnow View Post
    Anybody here ride a Jeffrey 110 tour?

Curious as to how well it does in spring-time corn skiing. Wanting a fun PNW volcano touring ski for the spring/summer months. Any reason the Woodsman would be a better choice?
    My resort daily is a Jeff 110 in a stiff layup. My tour daily is a Jeff 110 in a tour/stiff layup. I ski in the Sierras and love it for everything except deep pow. I still spin and pop everything I can find in the BC. I have skied the woods 110 in a tour layup and it just requires a more driving stance, they are less balanced in the air and they feel much much longer in tight places.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BeHuWe View Post
    My resort daily is a Jeff 110 in a stiff layup. My tour daily is a Jeff 110 in a tour/stiff layup. I ski in the Sierras and love it for everything except deep pow. I still spin and pop everything I can find in the BC. I have skied the woods 110 in a tour layup and it just requires a more driving stance, they are less balanced in the air and they feel much much longer in tight places.
    What bindings are you using? Curious because you're saying that you're popping/spinning a bunch.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Voyagers/FR16. they changed the way I viewed tech bindings.

I used to be under the impression that you needed a cast system to really enjoy the backcountry because I’m over 200lbs. But after my 4-5th tour on pins without any pre-release I change my thought process. And I’m not locking out my toes.

I used to be under the impression that you needed a cast system to really enjoy the backcountry because I’m over 200lbs. But after my 4-5th tour on pins without any pre-release I change my thought process. And I’m not locking out my toes.
    Thread drift...Would you put these say on a 80/20 touring/resort setup? -signed fellow 200lber who likes jumps

I have been contemplating this exact setup for a bit now. Time to play around with the custom ski tool some more.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Thread drift...Would you put these say on a 80/20 touring/resort setup? -signed fellow 200lber who likes jumps
    I would/will. It should be a a few more weeks and I’ll have a Jeff 118 tour with voyagers that’ll serve duty like that.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Finally got out on my 187 BG118’s today (I’ve only had them a year). Need some time to organize my thoughts, but here’s a preview…

- Definitely a BG
    - Might be the most balanced BG to date in terms of deep snow float, smeariness, and stability
    - I think there is something funky with the edges.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1676429529.088416.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	447807
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Huge bummer bandit…
    Does anyone have a 2023 with edge issues? Wondering if it’s been mostly resolved

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Finally got out on my 187 BG118’s today (I’ve only had them a year). Need some time to organize my thoughts, but here’s a preview…

- Definitely a BG
    - Might be the most balanced BG to date in terms of deep snow float, smeariness, and stability
    - I think there is something funky with the edges.

Name:	Image1676429529.088416.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	447807
    You're doing the new one while I was heading out on the old 191s. Reminded me why I love this ski so much. I've never had a ski where I had such a "mind meld" like this one. Always knew exactly where it was going. Could pivot on a dime and still charge when things got heavier. I ski bumps better with these than I do with my DD skis. Definitely interested in your take on the 187. My 192s are likely going up for sale now that I got another pair of 191s.

FWIW, the edge issue may also be down to actually having new, sharp edges, rather than something being wrong with them.

I looked at the base bevel on my 187 BG 118s and determined they were definitely set to 1° correctly. Then pulled out my old 184 Asyms and realized the edges are completely rounded over after years of hunting pow near rocks. Amazing how well rounded edges ski in pow and soft chop.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Huge bummer bandit…
    Does anyone have a 2023 with edge issues? Wondering if it’s been mostly resolved
    I just got some J110s with the drink butter graphics, so definitely a 2023 or very late 2022. Side and base bevels are both set at 1 degree, but they definitely felt a little hooky on the first 3 runs. I ran a gummy stone over the contact points for a bit and now they feel good.

Really jiving with the J110s, they feel better to me than the J102s while doing fun little Jeff side carves on-piste or mobbing through stuff off-piste. Totally satisfied with a 2-ski quiver of J110s + J118s right now.

My tax return might magically transform into a pair J110s in a tour layup

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    FWIW, the edge issue may also be down to actually having new, sharp edges, rather than something being wrong with them.

I looked at the base bevel on my 187 BG 118s and determined they were definitely set to 1° correctly. Then pulled out my old 184 Asyms and realized the edges are completely rounded over after years of hunting pow near rocks. Amazing how well rounded edges ski in pow and soft chop.
    There may be a hint of truth to this. I detuned the edges the way I normally do...aggressively detune the rockered areas to about 2-inches inside the contact points. When I took them out of the truck before skiing, they seemed still too sharp, so I hit the full edge with a few passes from the gummy stone. I did that three more times (several passes with the gummy and lots of focus in the tips where they were extra grabby/funky) throughout the day yesterday. They got marginally better.

I buy a shit ton of new skis. I have had two pairs that skied like garbage after a typical detune, and both were new ON3P's. Yes, these were a 2022 build and I hope this is just a carryover from the past. But it is a shitty track record for $800 custom skis. For instance, I don't hear anything like this from the HL stuff hitting the snow this year...

I'll keep playing with the detune and likely take a file to rocker sections next and perhaps a harder gummy to the trouble sections. Maybe I just need to pay $50 for a grind and get the bevels reset. I bought at least 5 new pairs of ON3P's before the bought the Woods 108 and BG118 which have had this issue. All the previous pairs were fine. Hard to get in that "willing to recommend" mindset when skis don't ski right out of the plastic. Good thing I have lots of "backstock" from when quality issues weren't so pervasive.

All the previous pairs were fine. Hard to get in that "willing to recommend" mindset when skis don't ski right out of the plastic. Good thing I have lots of "backstock" from when quality issues weren't so pervasive.
    I'm sure someone who works at the factory has seen the threads on the tune issues? Has anyone called/emailed?

There may be a hint of truth to this. I detuned the edges the way I normally do...aggressively detune the rockered areas to about 2-inches inside the contact points. When I took them out of the truck before skiing, they seemed still too sharp, so I hit the full edge with a few passes from the gummy stone. I did that three more times (several passes with the gummy and lots of focus in the tips where they were extra grabby/funky) throughout the day yesterday. They got marginally better.

I buy a shit ton of new skis. I have had two pairs that skied like garbage after a typical detune, and both were new ON3P's. Yes, these were a 2022 build and I hope this is just a carryover from the past. But it is a shitty track record for $800 custom skis. For instance, I don't hear anything like this from the HL stuff hitting the snow this year...

I'll keep playing with the detune and likely take a file to rocker sections next and perhaps a harder gummy to the trouble sections. Maybe I just need to pay $50 for a grind and get the bevels reset. I bought at least 5 new pairs of ON3P's before the bought the Woods 108 and BG118 which have had this issue. All the previous pairs were fine. Hard to get in that "willing to recommend" mindset when skis don't ski right out of the plastic. Good thing I have lots of "backstock" from when quality issues weren't so pervasive.
    Marshall hand tuned all the edges after he received them. Same damn thing I suggested a few pages back that ON3P should do.
    It really is a tune issue though and not a product quality issue

Quote Originally Posted by MoeSnow View Post
    I'm sure someone who works at the factory has seen the threads on the tune issues? Has anyone called/emailed?
    Scott called me personally last time it was the screwed up edge bevel and sorted it out. But you shouldn't have to know the founder or have worked in a shop or be an industry insider to figure out whether or not your skis are wonky. I really like the new 187 BG118 in soft snow. I hope that I can get it working well in all conditions. But who wants their pow day ruined (or even ski trip) because of stuff like this? Hopefully I am just a lagging indicator of a problem that has already been solved.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Marshall hand tuned all the edges after he received them. Same damn thing I suggested a few pages back that ON3P should do.
    It really is a tune issue though and not a product quality issue
    Good to know and props to Marshall! Probably would be more accurate to call it a quality "control" issue. No confidence that there is such a process for Portland's best ski brand.

Hopefully I am just a lagging indicator of a problem that has already been solved.
    Given the timeline, and what info I have (or can remember). I am going to go with yes.
    Training for Alpental

Lolz, I think that’s the Timberline Cowboy

Name:	Image1676784599.495452.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	654.4 KB 
ID:	448292

Life goal achieved, single chair! This setup has been giving me a shit eating grin daily out here in Japan, but it’s a struggle to get shots of the skis…

Name:	Image1676784731.170394.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	249.3 KB 
ID:	448294

Quote Originally Posted by RudyGarmisch View Post
    but it’s a struggle to get shots of the skis…
    I think I speak for everyone when I say I feel so sorry for you...

Sick pics, keep ripping!

A few laps on the goats

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Co5qF...d=NmE0MzVhZDY=

Couldn't resistant grabbing these when the snow report read 9" of 10%

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

very nice!