Page 4 of 594 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    At one point I heard some chatter that ON3P was considering bringing back the 191cm Wren as a preorder only, special edition ski. Built to order, no inventory, and I assume no deals. Basically for the people that have whined about the 191 Wren going away, it's pay up or shut up. So I assume that's what friflty.no is talking about.
    Iggy replied in another post that a 191 113 underfoot Wren was being built for some comp skiers and would be available to the public as an order only ski... I still have my orig twin 191 Wren and still find it to be one of the best day after a dump ski that blows through anything, but still not demanding to ski... I will give major props to those though on this board that rock them in tight trees as this ski for me is a load of work in those conditions...

There will be multiple skis made in limited pairs that will be available next season...you will be able to order them from the ON3P Champagne Room.

The absolute crusher Wren 113 will be one of those skis.
    You should have been here yesterday!

What ski was risvoll skiing at fieberbrunn? kind of looks like a wrenegade with billy goat rocker profile up front.
    Last edited by klauss; 03-09-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    What ski was risvoll skiing at fieberbrunn? kind of looks like a wrenegade with billy goat rocker profile up front.
    He's primary on the 2017 189cm BGs with a bit of extra carbon, so that is what those custom orange topsheets were. Also has some 191cm Wren 113 and the new 191 CD.

Stoked for our first FWT podium! Definitely a great way to wake up.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    He's primary on the 2017 189cm BGs with a bit of extra carbon, so that is what those custom orange topsheets were. Also has some 191cm Wren 113 and the new 191 CD.

Stoked for our first FWT podium! Definitely a great way to wake up.
    So for those wondering if the 189 BG is man enough to handle your balls to the walls charging ability...the answer is YES

Question (Powtron): Are out of stock 2016 skis "done" for the year? I'm thinking 179 Steeple 102 in particular. Much as I'm lusting after a 184/186 Goat, the skinny Steeple represents a bigger hole in my quiver, and I (think) I'm wanting the RES profile which won't be available in next year's 98.

Thanks,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Question (Powtron): Are out of stock 2016 skis "done" for the year? I'm thinking 179 Steeple 102 in particular. Much as I'm lusting after a 184/186 Goat, the skinny Steeple represents a bigger hole in my quiver, and I (think) I'm wanting the RES profile which won't be available in next year's 98.

Thanks,
    Thom
    http://www.backcountryfreeskier.com/...FU1bfgodfUoF_g

And any more feedback/input/commentary on the upcoming Wren 88?

Thanks! I didn't even think of going outside the ON3P website. Now ... I have to make a decision.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    So for those wondering if the 189 BG is man enough to handle your balls to the walls charging ability...the answer is YES
    Needs a stiffer tail ... but then it loses the manueverability

Got on the 184 Wrens and the 186 K108s over last weekend. 240#, strong, fat, tall, shitty skier. Was not testing in ideal conditions, and probably need the wren a size up, but some quick takeaways:

The wren is surprisingly manageable at low speeds and when being hackish. It doesn't come alive until you get some pace and it's best to drive the tips, but it doesn't kick your ass when you get lazy. Feels a little more likely to get kicked around by chunks of stuff than my 191 BGs, but still confidence inspiring. It was raining on sticky snow, so ... weird conditions.

Got on the K108s the next day after the rained on snow crusted over and got a bit of a dusting on top of it. It was a bit jarring after a few seasons on the BGs and it took me a few runs to get a feel. Definitely not a charger, but sturdy enough after I adjusted and great fun. Skied further back from where I skied the wrens and bgs.

The Kartel 116 is absolutely amazing. I got mine on everything from hardpack groomer, dust on crust, knee deep PNW pow, and skied out crud. No speed limit, and amazingly instinctive in the air. Even when the air is not expected. My only complaint with the Caylors was that there was almost too much float in the tail leading to the front end to sink if you got too far forward. This seems to have been adressed. And the new tip shape, and splay completely dices the crud.

I was looking for a bit of a change after being on BG's for so long. Completely happy.
    Training for Alpental

I have been transitioning to Billy Goats 191 as my daily driver as my supply of Lhasa Pows has dwindled and can't be replaced. I had an easy transition from Lhasa to BG and find the BG with RES might be the perfect ski for people that loved the Lhasa's and can now no longer get them. Same crud busting dampness at mach any speed. Can handle with control the boiler plate steep start zones and then give you the most pleasurable experience as you progress into the deep blower pow that awaits a little lower. Good weight to bust through sun and wind crust for mornings after, although nothing is perfect in that scenario. Not hooky unless you forget to lock in ski mode from walk (DOH!) I am skiing inbounds with Jesters and Dynafit Ones. I have yet to finish off my last pair of Lhasa fats for out of bounds which I have been running with Dynafit bindings and Dynafit Ones. I have not tried the 189s but 191 has been good to me. So, I've got my Lhasa replacements with BG
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    The Kartel 116 is absolutely amazing. I got mine on everything from hardpack groomer, dust on crust, knee deep PNW pow, and skied out crud. No speed limit, and amazingly instinctive in the air. Even when the air is not expected. My only complaint with the Caylors was that there was almost too much float in the tail leading to the front end to sink if you got too far forward. This seems to have been adressed. And the new tip shape, and splay completely dices the crud.

Completely happy.
    YEP...I feel you on that. Really digging my Kartel 116's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k116tour.JPG 
Views:	683 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	178120
    Last edited by PowTron; 03-15-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    I have been transitioning to Billy Goats 191 as my daily driver as my supply of Lhasa Pows has dwindled and can't be replaced. I had an easy transition from Lhasa to BG and find the BG with RES might be the perfect ski for people that loved the Lhasa's and can now no longer get them. Same crud busting dampness at mach any speed. Can handle with control the boiler plate steep start zones and then give you the most pleasurable experience as you progress into the deep blower pow that awaits a little lower. Good weight to bust through sun and wind crust for mornings after, although nothing is perfect in that scenario. Not hooky unless you forget to lock in ski mode from walk (DOH!) I am skiing inbounds with Jesters and Dynafit Ones. I have yet to finish off my last pair of Lhasa fats for out of bounds which I have been running with Dynafit bindings and Dynafit Ones. I have not tried the 189s but 191 has been good to me. So, I've got my Lhasa replacements with BG
    Good to hear, Mike! Keep on loving those 191.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post

And any more feedback/input/commentary on the upcoming Wren 88?
    They absolutely RAIL hard snow and groomers. I am still kind of in shock over what came out with this ski. I need more time on it, though in variable snow...but after spending many days on the Wren 98 and 108 I am very, VERY happy with how the new rocker profile has turned out.

How do the kartel 116's compare to the Jeffrey 114? My 186 Grizzlycorn Jeffreys 114's were broken in a gondola accident this past weekend and I'm in need of a replacement. I don't really have anything to ski until I get new ones, but I'm also considering holding out for the kartel 116's if people like them more.

Quote Originally Posted by alect47 View Post
    How do the kartel 116's compare to the Jeffrey 114? My 186 Grizzlycorn Jeffreys 114's were broken in a gondola accident this past weekend and I'm in need of a replacement. I don't really have anything to ski until I get new ones, but I'm also considering holding out for the kartel 116's if people like them more.
    I own both pairs for myself and will keep both.. While similar, the K116's updated taper and tip and tail shape make it a little more smeary and floaty in powder while the J114 is a little better on groomers and harder snow. Variances in the new rocker profile vs the current J114 and Kartel series also makes this more apparent on the feet. I will tour on the K116 and still ski my J114 inbounds most of the time.

Both will be good in the deep, but I do prefer the K116 in softer snow more than the J114 (and that was our goal).

edit: Also, that sucks that the gondola destroyed your infinity magic GCs!

Hmm, is the K116 noticeably lighter than the J114? Any comparison on how they do in chopped up/crud?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alect47 View Post
    Hmm, is the K116 noticeably lighter than the J114? Any comparison on how they do in chopped up/crud?

Thanks
    They are the same weight (slightly wider, but then tapered more = same overall weight). Same construction, same type of glass and carbon, etc. They have the same feeling as the J114 in crud and chop, but with that new tip and rocker shape I do think it slices and dices a little better than the J114 through junk snow.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post

I was looking for a bit of a change after being on BG's for so long. Completely happy.

Could you do more of a Kt116 and a bg comparison?

Also anybody have any insight on owning both the kt116 and the kt108, would that be too much overlap? (i love overlap)

Powtron or anyone else game to compare the Wren 98/102? Was going to pick up some 98s next year, but the 102s on sale are tempting.

I got on the 108s, found them very friendly. Read comments about the 102 being a very different ski than wren's of old and the 98 being more true to form.

What makes a better a addition to a 186 BG, 186 Wren 112 or 191 Jeff 114?

6.5' and 200lbs, fairly aggressive skier, but not a big hucker. I don't ski switch or park. Mostly resort conditions, steeps, bumps, pow.

I have narrower skis for hard snow conditions, so thinking more soft snow, chop, crud. Want to take advantage of end of season deals on the old stuff..

^^ The 186 BG and 186 Wren 112 is a nice combo. BG is strictly powder, everything else (except groomer only skiing or total shit off piste) I use the 112.

If you ski on the front of your skis, Wren. If you ski centered, Jeff114.

But FWIW, both myself and cooks own Wrens and BGs, and another friend owns Jeff114s, and all of us have skied each others skis in varying conditions, and all of us agree that the BG is the best soft chop/crud ski of the three. It's when things get firmer that the Wren or Jeff114 start to shine.

I'm really digging my 186 BG so far (just 2 days), but there are times in the chop when I could use a little more top end. The tips do feel a little short to me.

I suppose that points me towards the Wren, or the 191/189 BG. Anyone want to trade their 191 for 186?
    Last edited by Nevada29er; 03-17-2016 at 06:45 PM.