Page 405 of 599 FirstFirst ... 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 ... LastLast
Results 10,101 to 10,125 of 14972
    Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    You are correct in your findings in my opinion. My Wren108ti are protos and are burly stiff, but the production core profile was updated slightly from my understanding, and the metal does make them bite quite a bit more confidently on harder snow in my experience.

Both skis absolutely truck, but the ti version is just unreal in it's ability to NEVER get shaken at any speed. I will never let mine go until they fall apart (which will happen way after my body does the same thing), haha.
    In regards to this. Would you then say the metal version feels more locked in, requiring more work to release in softer off piste conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by peglegger View Post
    In regards to this. Would you then say the metal version feels more locked in, requiring more work to release in softer off piste conditions?
    IMHO, the only situation when Wren (ti or non-ti) tails feel locked-in in soft snow is when the skier is in the backseat.

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    IMHO, the only situation when Wren (ti or non-ti) tails feel locked-in in soft snow is when the skier is in the backseat.
    I agree. For as stable as my wren 96s are, they are surprisingly good in bumps and tight areas, as long as I keep my balance and don't get knocked into the backseat. If I do, the tail can get stuck, but that is true of most skis.

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    I agree. For as stable as my wren 96s are, they are surprisingly good in bumps and tight areas, as long as I keep my balance and don't get knocked into the backseat. If I do, the tail can get stuck, but that is true of most skis.
    Yep, for sure. The metal wrens feel more locked in when standing on them and powering through turns, but as soon as you unweight them they feel extremely similar to the non-metal versions.

Ironically the Wren 108 rocker profile is much easier to slarve and unleash the ski sideways when needed (metal or not). Compared to the OG Wrens and flat tails they are extremely forgiving, haha.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    Can't get goats out of my head... anyone interested in trading for 187 veneer GPOs w/ wardens? (Which I love, and would only trade cause I very much want to try some BGs)
    I have 184s with Wardens for 325bsl you'll welcome to take out. Local too.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I really dont get this as I feel the woodsman takes the exact same stance as the BG. Maybe it’s the 192.

I’m on a 189 bg and 187 wd108
    I feel the same after a couple days on the WD108. Very BGish in the soft stuff cut up stuff, more grip on firm. 184 BG and 182 WD for me. Great match and ON3P steered me right sizewise I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    It could be that the tail of the 192 WD108 is just too much for my ass despite tune. Perhaps a heavier rider would have a different experience.
    This has me thinking I'm glad I sized down vs up on the Woodsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Got out on the 187 Woodsman for the first time today.

Here are some initial impressions...

Conditions - sloppy seconds from latest multi-day storm cycle totaling 80”. Temp spike yesterday created some heavy PNW mank, with pockets of high-density coastal pow, and soft groomers.

What I Like: off-piste in the dense pow, mank, crud, skied out stuff they are perfect. They ski with the dampness of a metal layup ski. Push through the heavy junk well but are also fairly loose and smeary. They reminded me of a skinnier Billy Goat. Not quite as loose in the tail, but still really easy to toss around due to the narrower build. Still retain that ON3P energy out of the tail.

I also really liked them charging through the small bumps and ripples as the groomers got more skied out. They absorb quite a bit and offer a lot of suspension and a fairly damp ride.

What I didn’t like: They felt really hooky on groomers. I had to get really aggressive with the gummy detune. That helped a bit, but something about the sidecut feels...off. As the day wore on, I felt more comfortable on the groomers at speed. They are far from my Brahma’s, but still more than passable for a ski this wide. As long as I was on the front of the skis they behaved on the groomers. Let off and ski more neutral, and it felt like I was fighting the turn radius and that “hookiness/grabiness” showed up immediately.

I really like this ski off-piste, but the strange groomer performance was really off-putting. I guess I need to spend some more time to figure these out.
    Your off-piste impressions matched mine pretty well. Very stoked. I don't seem to have the tune issue and didn't notice any hookiness on mine on firm stuff. They seem like they will be a perfect compliment to my BG for non-storm days.

Quote Originally Posted by regan2489 View Post
    Hey all, been trying to follow this thread for a bit and think I'm sold on getting some BG's. Just moved to Colorado from EC and hoping new skis might bring some snow! Anyways, I'm 5'8/150 but an advanced, aggressive skier. I have two pairs of skis that are between 95-108 underfoot and are 180 and 182 in length. Looks like 179 BGs are sold out, so I'm deciding if the 184's will be too much ski or not. I believe they may ski big, but curious to hear others opinions if they will be a good fit or not.
    Others answered but I'd say go up. At 5'10" 170lbs I was on the fence between the 184 and 189. I went 184 and while I don't have any regrets, I don't think I'd have any problem skiing the 189. I can see wanting to size up if I were in bigger more open terrain. They ski easier than I would have imagined even though they are more capable than what I was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    That fresh mount smell never disappoints
    Attachment 359127
    Damn those look good!

Had tune issues/hoodiness on both WD96 and Jessie 108s. Full retune fixed everything, both skis rip now!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

Just spent some time on WD116, I DD BGs (182 vs 184). I feel like it's the same stance, but the WD give up some of the "don't care where you point me" to be more nimble/maneuverable. It's almost like one is designed for going fast over any type of heavy pow, and one is designed for skiing all over the mountain... crazy.

Popping in here to re-iterate BGs are the absolute best heavy snow, bumped mank, pillow glade destroying shit eating grin producing skis out there. Holy fuck they're fun.
    Last edited by GBB; 01-28-2021 at 08:35 PM.

What is the consensus on the current billy goat model? Thinking about just buying a new pair, but not sure how it compares to other years. Looking at a 3 ski Colorado quiver of wren 96s, steeple 102s for touring, and then BGs for anything soft.

Colorado? C&D

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Colorado? C&D
    Yes Colorado. Feel like there would be too big of a gap between C&Ds and wren 96s. BGs would be more versatile for general soft snow use, no?

What’s the collective say on goats in CO. I lived there 4 seasons (before my BG allegiance) honestly the snow is so light and doesn’t get funky like that PNW. Between storms and even during storms due to wind I skied a lot of windbuff and firm snow.. looking back not sure my billygoat would see a lot of rotation. Def would want something more suited for Hardpack and windbuff.

dub2 you should look at getting a super goat, all the attributes of a goat but skis harder snow wayyy better haven’t had mine on windbuff but I can only imagine how amazing they would be!! They are stupid fun! Reiterating the fact that for true deep/soft conditions they are amazing!

Where do you ski?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    What’s the collective say on goats in CO. I lived there 4 seasons (before my BG allegiance) honestly the snow is so light and doesn’t get funky like that PNW. Between storms and even during storms due to wind I skied a lot of windbuff and firm snow.. looking back not sure my billygoat would see a lot of rotation. Def would want something more suited for Hardpack and windbuff.

dub2 you should look at getting a super goat, all the attributes of a goat but skis harder snow wayyy better haven’t had mine on windbuff but I can only imagine how amazing they would be!! They are stupid fun! Reiterating the fact that for true deep/soft conditions they are amazing!

Where do you ski?

Loveland and winter park. Love the wrens for firm days, and trying to pair things down to a 3 ski on3p quiver. Really just looking for overall soft snow performance, as well as skiing resort chop well (I know CO chop is different than PNW chop, but still). I am only 6', 150 lbs so not sure a super goat makes sense. Happy with a 184 in the wrens, and was thinking the same length in BGs.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Yeah, if you are tied to a ON3P quiver that would be the ticket!! They are a very capable ski which is incredibly versatile!

I can’t wait to bring my SG’s back to LL and Mach huge GS turns down the windbuff up on the divide! Fuck! Sounds so fun.

Man, read the thread. This has been discussed many times. Lots of CO and inter mountain mags claim c&d is their preference. BG would probably be fine, ignorance is bliss I guess.

Man, read the thread. This has been discussed many times. Lots of CO and inter mountain mags claim c&d is their preference. BG would probably be fine, ignorance is bliss I guess.
    My bad, thanks.

Colorado? C&D
    Big difference depending where in CO. Wolf creek: C&D. Crested Butte: Woodsman 108 lol.

For loveland I'd honestly go with a more versatile shape. There is a lot of windbuff even on pow days. I'd go woodsman 116 myself. Like some folks mentioned that CO pow is light and easy and usually less deep than the PNW or even Jackson/Utah. Less need for the RES surfability.

Can someone compare current C&D with the black Blizzard Spur (19/20)?

Dub2, I am the same size and weight as you. I went with both the BG 184 and just added the W116 in 182. I feel the W116 will provide a lot more versatility. However given the conditions this year I have only skied it once, on groomers.... The W116s ski groomers just fine. Now if it would only snow.

However on real snow days I will be on the Goats.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    I find myself preferring the Wrenegade 114 over the Billy Goat when there's fresh 'n' deep snow at Wolfy, Telluride, and / or Taos. It may be that I never learned the Goats, but I really mesh well with the Wrenegades.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    I find myself preferring the Wrenegade 114 over the Billy Goat when there's fresh 'n' deep snow at Wolfy, Telluride, and / or Taos. It may be that I never learned the Goats, but I really mesh well with the Wrenegades.
    Man, I'd really like to try a pair of Wren 114s for a CO pow ski. Although I mostly ski CB, and my 108s are more than enough for that lol. I could see a Wren 96/114 combo checking a lot of boxes for me. I'm not really a fun shape kind of guy though, FWIWI.

Dub2
    I ski both LL and MJ too, and own 184BGs and 187 Woods108s. If your boot is close to 325 you can try either out.

Own 184 BGs. Skied and lived in LCC the past two seasons but am back in SW CO this year. BGs handle light CO snow very well IMO. You don't get that super floaty feeling of a ultra wide ski during the first 3-6 inches on top of old hardpack, but I've always felt like the BG punches above it's waist width in un-tracked on crust. Once you get to day two of a storm and the snow starts to stack up the RES BG awesomeness turns on completely. That said I recently acquired C&Ds but haven't been able to get them mounted up yet. I'm sure they handle the CO blower in a different way and I'm excited to check them out during the next storm.

Also I'd go with the 184s at your size Dub2. I'm 6' and 175ish and have found the 184s to be borderline too small sometimes, but more versatile than the 189s would be. They crush tight trees as long as there is a decent pitch but will still attack steep fall line with huge unstoppable GS turns. The amount of times I've wished to have the extra flotation and top end speed of the 189s pales in comparison to the times I've appreciated the lower swing weight and maneuverability of the shorter length. I mean the 184s compare better to most companies 189s than their 182s.

Also I'd love to try a pair of SGs some day too. If anyone has a pair around 315 BSL and is in SW CO/SLC let me know lol

RE Goats for CO, I love mine in beat up hardpack mank. I just feel like I can count on them to make the turns and slarves when I need them too and not get too hooky when I'm dodging twigs and rocks. Only really dislike them on groomers, which I generally avoid if I can. However, I'd love to try out a 108 waist or narrower non-tour weight BG with RES. Recently skied some 102 Steeples for a few in bounds runs and liked those till I kicked one w/o a brake on it and almost lost it for good.

Maybe I should try out the Woodsmen someday if I get the chance.