Page 401 of 599 FirstFirst ... 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,025 of 14972
    I can only imagine the amount of emails, DM/PMs these guys get on changing mount points by a few millimeters, length questions, width questions, layup questions, custom graphic options. Nature of offering so many options. That said, if your skis are truly fubar'd out of the factory, and you aren't getting a response that is not fun. Hopefully everyone with tune issues gets their skis figured out soon and inquiries post purchase (QC concerns) rise to the top of the priority list

I've skied a lot of On3Ps and have never touched them with a file or had to tune in any way, so there's that data point.

On another note, Liberty claims they are the leader in bamboo cores. Send them the C&D Iggy

snip from Liberty's 2021/22 catalogue
    Name:  bamboo.JPG
Views: 469
Size:  58.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    "Needy Dweebo"

Awesome way to build up a client base by considering customers to be "needy dweebos".

And FWIW, I'm not that needy.
    Teasing you, dude. And I'm not affiliated in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Teasing you, dude. And I'm not affiliated in any way.
    It's cool. Like I said, I may be a dweebo, but I'm not that needy.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    It's cool. Like I said, I may be a dweebo, but I'm not that needy.
    well I'm convinced

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Don’t hate the BG 108T til you try it. I’ve been touring with primarily two skis, and this bg fits right in the middle...

G3 Findr 102 for bigger missions and corn harvest, blue Lotus for everything else. I was grabbing the Lotus on 90% of days until I got the 108t.

The lotus and BG 116 are for sure different skis, but there’s still too much soft snow overlap to have them in the same quiver.

A lot of my approaches and skin tracks are in variable conditions or in steep, tight trees that involve some degree of bushwhacking. Going to a mid-fat width makes life a lot more pleasant in these scenarios...

The 108t is so damn responsive, super fun ski. Way more versatile (aka: tight trees, chutes) than my other touring skis. Easier to work the edges of the 108 vs 116. I’ve used them in conditions from a few inches of heavy soft snow underneath a stout crust to 12” of blower. Pretty much does it all... I’ve found it does sacrifice a little bit of stability at speed in wide open terrain, but I would expect that from a ski in this weight class.

In short... skis are fucking skis; skis are typically never the limiting factor; and the 108t makes me smile.

BG108t... amusing that its existence seems to rile up a few. Buy what makes you happy, maaaaaaan.

For me (giant BG fanboie) it had already proven to be excellent as a BC tool for the places I ski. But I recently confirmed another use case for this ski that I didn't fully understand until putting on some more miles.

Couple different days had a similar timeline: started out on heavy mid-100s skis with metal pivots and Langes (Dynastar LPR and WD108), but switched to BG108t and laughed at the increase in fun factor. Conditions were chalky pack and groomers with coastal pow stuck on steeps in the near-BC. Holy shit the skis owned all of it and frankly blew me away with the stability and QUICKNESS. Easy to edge, good grip, low swing weight, and a damn joy on long traverses and sidesteps. And fkna awesome in tight BC trees of course. Now I see why flying-v and cascade luke cherish their BG108's... they are pretty damn good everywhere and don't give up much. The hookless RES shape is just the bomb.

Travel Ski. Perfect application. I'd be happy to ski them anywhere. Especially somewhere like Europe, where a single light setup w/ skins in the backpack enables so much easy kickass skiing.
    What boot did you use inbounds? In my case, I only have the 0g-scout and I certainly found the limits of the boot on firm snow. I wonder if a heavier boot would allow me to manage the ski a little better in variable conditions.

To my utter shame, I still haven't ripped skins on my pair. Chalk it up to work conflicts with one of the worst snowpacks I've seen since moving to the east slope of the cascades. But I did pull them out for an afternoon for a little relief after 1.5 days of ripping around with the boys. They would rail groomers if I had the room to let them run, most of the time I was limited to shorter skidded turns on approaches and exits. They certainly have good edges for this purpose, and I'm sure that will be appreciated when dealing with sporty low angle tree'd exits. In natural chalky snow, they really came alive. I had to slow down just a bit to not overwhelm the ski, but they were light and poppy in the tight trees and steep bumps on Schweitzer's backside bowl. Every time I found a little patch of consolidated pow, I could feel the tips come up on plane and the tail get nice and loose, ahhhhhh!

Consolidated, wind-affected/deposited pow or a thin snowpack in sheltered tight trees are all I have for touring nearby, so I think I'm on the right track with this setup. I'm happy, maaaaaaan.

I was in an active email conversation where we'd agreed on a deal for skis, so I put the skis they'd be replacing up for sale and ordered new bindings. The skis sold, the bindings arrived, and I haven't heard a word back from ON3P; I even called this morning, despite their site saying email was the best way to communicate with them.

I'm just trying to give them money for their product, I'm sure there's other fish to fry but like...we were right there.

And hearing all this BG108T praise just makes it that much harder to wait haha

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    What boot did you use inbounds? In my case, I only have the 0g-scout and I certainly found the limits of the boot on firm snow. I wonder if a heavier boot would allow me to manage the ski a little better in variable conditions.

Well, I intended for the inbounds/sidecountry boot to be the xtd130, but the fwd lean is more aggressive than I prefer. So I skied with the same boot as you, the scouts. With the shims I have under the ATK toes, the ramp in the system is the same as pivots/langes and it feels really intuitive. I'll try the atomics again but will probably sell them.

Yeah I can flex through the tecnica if I try, but I don't expect to find that limit often.

Well, I intended for the inbounds/sidecountry boot to be the xtd130, but the fwd lean is more aggressive than I prefer.
    Have you tried replacing the flip chip to lower the fwd lean? I did that with mine and it made a huge difference, now I like em better than my inbounds boot.

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    Have you tried replacing the flip chip to lower the fwd lean? I did that with mine and it made a huge difference, now I like em better than my inbounds boot.
    +1.

Part number: AZE001416

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    I considered it, but it felt like just another thing to fiddle with, while the tecnica is working well. Maybe I'll look again.

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    +1.

Part number: AZE001416
    thanks

If you can take em to the shop you got em from, it was a pretty quick swap and nothing additional to fiddle with beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    My experience on BG108 goes back a few years as a custom Steeple 108 w/ BG layup in 184. Basically same same to the new model. It’s probably my favorite ski or equal to my limited veneer BGs in 189. I don’t see myself without the other, ever.
    The 108 really shines at Alpental or other mountains with tight, point and shoot terrain. The best of all for me is the versatility of the 108 - no matter the conditions I won’t feel like I grabbed the wrong ones. How often are the conditions 2-5”? How often will that shallow snow blow around the mountain creating thin and loaded areas? How quick will that be trampled? ..BG108
    How about it hasn’t snowed at your hill in awhile, then 6”. The mountain crew will pack that snow as best as they can mostly leaving fresh pockets ...BG108. You can even edge around on that low tide period better w/o asym.

My 108s will be the choice for Europe next time. And I’m probably buying the wife 108 goats next.
    So personally if you’re not a powder hound I think the 108 is a better ski for the masses in a 2 or less quiver. YMMV
    Am I understanding correctly that the 108s don't have asym? That changes everything.

Asym. is the single thing that scares me about the BGs, after my experiences with Quixotes. @Powtron once explained the more upright stance required when on hard snow (with asym.) and it made perfect sense to me - both on the BGs on that demo day as well as with my Quixotes. I adopted that quickly, and life was good, or so I thought ...

All's well, right? Hard snow, more upright, soft snow, drive a bit more. The problem I had with Quixotes was transitional, dust over crust. When I broke through the dust, my weight would be too far forward. Even this was OK, except in a whiteout where I'm a bit balance challenged.

Each of the two days I experienced this whiteout/dust over crust scenario (consecutive days), I went back to the car, pulled out my Down CD 114s and was smilin' the rest of the day. I sold the Quixotes as soon as I returned from that trip.

I seem to be in the minority in this regard, so take that into account.

Also, in 3D snow, the asym. is quicker from edge to edge. It would make sense if asym. is limited to the 116s and the C&Ds. With asym. in deep snow, you can cheat a bit to start your turn. This is particularly helpful when you're trying to get moving (slow speed) in tight trees.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

108 is not asymmetrical

Recent posts and discussion from CascadeLuke, Norseman and theforetrees confirm my experiences and thoughts on the Steeple 108 that has been my main touring ski for the past few seasons. I too find the ire and angst among the BG devotees that this ski seems to be creating to be pretty amusing. If the 116 waist BGT works better for your use case use it and be happy. Don't go out of your way to question the existence of a ski that happens to tick a ton of boxes for other people's use cases. For me and where I ski the 108 waist flat out works in ways that the 116 wouldn't. It's not always just about float in pow and weight. Yesterday is a perfect example: 2000 metres of climbing, many kms of skinning, snow conditions ranging from wind-hammered chicken heads in the alpine to unmolested pow at valley bottom and terrain ranging from exposed alpine ridge walking to steep pillows below treeline. I have never been on another ski that would have dealt with this huge range of conditions and terrain as well as the 108 did/does. If I ever find such a unicorn I will buy it and ride it off into the sunset. Until then, thanks for the confirmation that this ski does indeed rip fellas!

BG108T is NOT asym.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 01-21-2021 at 04:08 PM.

"I was in an active email conversation where we'd agreed on a deal for skis"

Mmmmm. Why not just buy them off the website like a normal human?
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    Why not just buy them off the website like a normal human?
    That’s what I did... Ordered on a Monday, arrived that Weds.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    BG108T is NOT res/asym.
    They sure as hell feel and look like they have RES. Asym, no, but RES, yes. I can't find any contradicting statements on the website or this thread. I'm 99% sure the BG108 is a slimmed version of the BG, not a steeple 108, which I think was more of a Wren shape (you had to go Steeple 11x to get RES.) I own 189 Wren 108's and the BG108t is a different sidecut.

Quote Originally Posted by K1mJ0ngTr1ll View Post
    How do people feel about the ability to drive the tips of a Jeffery if they are mounted -2 from recommended?
    Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Digging around for beta on this but search function...you know...

Who's on the 191 K/J108?

I had the 186. Liked them for a lot of things but felt like they gave up too much on hardpack (washy tails etc) and don't want a separate dedicated hardpack ski.

Never tried moving the mount back.

Tried a first-gen woodsman 108 but didn't click. Never tried fixing the tune since I've never had any tunes issues with many on3p's over the years- but seems like others had their dislikes flipped by fixing the tune.

Now considering either doing a new J108 in 186 (I think sidecut changed to help with 2d-snow issues since I had mine?) and mounting back a bit - or maybe doing the 191.

For you guys on the 191, how much of a bump did you see in hardpack performance just via the extra EE? Are you all on the line?
    Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    I've been skiing a veneer standard layup, 191 J108 on the line the past few days on an ice-bump in the midwest, so grain of salt and all that... Grips well on firm conditions but if I'm planning on all-day firm groomers, I'd choose something else, like my LP. Any hint of soft snow and these carve just fine. I'll definitely bring the 191 J108 out west with my 190 Bibby.

That said, I'm getting a prototype, slightly stiffer 20/21 layup, 186 J108 mounted -2 behind the line and can tell you about the similarities and differences between the different lengths after I get some time on them.

Not sure if "driving the tips" is what I'd call it, but I feel like I use the front half of my foot to make them go where I want. It has a smaller turn radius than I'm used to so maybe I'm feeling some of that.
    Got a few turns on the 186 J108 mounted -2. This ski is a prototype, slightly stiff, 20/21 build.

With temps in the mid-thirties, the snow was mostly soft with random ice patches. Jeffrey had excellent edge hold on the soft with edge-able skidding on the ice patches. Felt very good to pressure the tips of the 186 mounted -2, pulls through the turn and can release the tails at will.

The 186 feels like the edges are sharper than the edges on my 191, so that could be helping to give me that fun, pull through the turn sensation I was getting. The slightly stiff gives the ski amazing pop, I was boosting off of everything I could find, plus a couple of things I didn't expect.

I'm 99% sure the BG108 is a slimmed version of the BG, not a steeple 108, which I think was more of a Wren shape (you had to go Steeple 11x to get RES.) .
    I'll raise you by a 0.9% and suggest that you're thinking of the Steeple 98 that was essentially a touring cored Wren 98. My understanding is that Steeple 108 is the same shape as current BG108T but the Steeple has the previous version of a tour core.
    Also, this thread is lacking stoke. Steeples turning left yesterday. If you squint you can see the tell-tale green bases.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	108swork.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1,012.1 KB 
ID:	358976

They sure as hell feel and look like they have RES. Asym, no, but RES, yes. I can't find any contradicting statements on the website or this thread. I'm 99% sure the BG108 is a slimmed version of the BG, not a steeple 108, which I think was more of a Wren shape (you had to go Steeple 11x to get RES.) I own 189 Wren 108's and the BG108t is a different sidecut.
    I edited my res statement. They are symmetrical, but I have no proof or idea of res one way or the other but they ski sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    I'll raise you by a 0.9% and suggest that you're thinking of the Steeple 98 that was essentially a touring cored Wren 98. My understanding is that Steeple 108 is the same shape as current BG108T but the Steeple has the previous version of a tour core.
    Also, this thread is lacking stoke. Steeples turning left yesterday. If you squint you can see the tell-tale green bases.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	108swork.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1,012.1 KB 
ID:	358976
    Sounds right. Nice turn

they are RES. look down the sidecut and you can see the inflection point from reverse to standard, right at the boot toe.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    That’s what I did... Ordered on a Monday, arrived that Weds.
    They weren't technically in stock.

Happy to say I got an email back just now (maybe being needy on here worked?) and after a quick phone call the skis are on their way.