Page 318 of 599 FirstFirst ... 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 ... LastLast
Results 7,926 to 7,950 of 14972
    Yeah, in those conditions you just have to ski them faster, straighter -- particularly the SG -- IMO. The rest is conditioning.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    With all due respect, it sounds like you were being a pussy.

Goats chow on chowder.
    I figured as much... I have skied heavy PNW shit before on my Goats, but that day I so got my ass handed to me... Probably should have hung in there and kept after but pussed out...

Jack, I figured as much regarding faster and straighter... To Norse’s point I was so uncomfortable/unfamiliar skiing those conditions I was skiing like a puss... Never have I been uncomfortable on any Goats or snow conditions until that day... Fitness I know did not come into play last year, but it will this year since I have been unable to workout for 4 months due to my back...! Regardless, I will have to sack it up and get out of my comfort zone and push it harder in that heavy deep shit...

Kudos to you cats that can ski that heavy, gloppy deep shit...! F me I was so frustrated...!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sounds like this morning at Timberline. Glad I was on my Cease & Desist’s, but even they were a little work to swing around sometimes (especially in the trees on the lower mountain). Was really glad I didn’t grab the Caylor’s or the Wildcat 108’s, even tho I still haven’t skied them yet this year. The only way to keep that BG feeling was to go faster, but even then, getting things shut down fast wasn’t as easy. Had a blast until my legs gave out and went home at lunch. Given the forecast, tomorrow looks like more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Check my math real quick if you'd be so kind.

me: 6'00" / 215lbs. directional skier. PNW. CAN ski anywhere on the mountain, but not always like a boss .

quiver hole at 110-120mm. I've A/B'd my floppy OG megawatts and 189 BGs on medium-soft/deep tracked out leftovers and slightly preferred MWs, but felt like I would eventually prefer BGs as my skiing improves, and that I'm somehow less of a person living where I live without owning a pair.

Questions:

1. Safe to assume no votes for 184? 193 gunsmokes felt a bit too long and locked in for tight trees (different ski than BG, I realize).

2. Sorry if I missed it, but are there any changes to BG for next season that I want to wait for?

Many thanks
    I’m exactly ur size. While my home hills (squaw and alpine meadows) tend to be more wide open maybe than the tight trees reference I’ve enjoyed my 192 Woodsman 116 thus far. They appear big in hand but on the snow ski manageably. I really appreciate the stability of a longer ski and these don’t dominate the pilot. Shorter may be the call for you based on ur words just thought I would chime in based on our similar size. I’m sure the 87 is equally solid.

Yep, Evo threw me a 20% coupon off a whole order to say sorry for sending me some lightly scuffed bindings sold as new (they also replaced those with brand new ones. Love Evo...). So I'm thinking of grabbing the goats by the balls and paring some redundant sections of the quiver.

Definitely keeping megawatts and possibly the red ones too, but they're an entirely different ski. Need to get those some A/B time with Spurs.

Thanks for confirming the lean
    Demo from the factory?
    Or, they're doing a demo day 3/15 at MHM

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Demo from the factory?
    Or, they're doing a demo day 3/15 at MHM
    As weird as it may sound, it's easier for me to just buy the ski that I know I can resell very easily. It's next to impossible for me to get over to the factory on Friday.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As weird as it may sound, it's easier for me to just buy the ski that I know I can resell very easily. It's next to impossible for me to get over to the factory on Friday.

You can also demo some of ON3Ps skis at evo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my math real quick if you'd be so kind.

me: 6'00" / 215lbs. directional skier. PNW. CAN ski anywhere on the mountain, but not always like a boss .

quiver hole at 110-120mm. I've A/B'd my floppy OG megawatts and 189 BGs on medium-soft/deep tracked out leftovers and slightly preferred MWs, but felt like I would eventually prefer BGs as my skiing improves, and that I'm somehow less of a person living where I live without owning a pair.

Questions:

1. Safe to assume no votes for 184? 193 gunsmokes felt a bit too long and locked in for tight trees (different ski than BG, I realize).

2. Sorry if I missed it, but are there any changes to BG for next season that I want to wait for?

Many thanks
    What size are your MWs? I don't think you can fully appreciate what the BG has to offer with a run or two. They are intuitive but did take some time to fully click for me. But god they're good when they do. As for sizing, 189 is the obvious answer. The BG has never felt anything like locked in to a turn to me no matter what kind of conditions I'm in. So experience with long Gunsmokes does not relate IMO. All that said, I could imagine someone bigger but still progressing their skiing being happy with the 184 BG. I'm quite a bit lighter than you (170) but the 184 has never felt too short (nor too long though). If you go that route just realize you may want to step up to the next size after some time on the 184. Depends on how and where you ski really. I doubt you'd find the 189s too much ski though.

if you ever want to take my 184 pre-Asym Billygoat’s out for a day, PM me. I live in Welches and you can just swing by and grab them or something on your way up the mountain. I’ve been reaching for my Cease & Desist’s or the Caylor’s over the Billygoat lately (last year and this one so far). There’s a decent scratch in 1 of the Goat’s that should probably be p-Tex’d but isn’t all the way thru the base so I’ve just been filling w/ wax... Anyway, let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    I doubt you'd find the 189s too much ski though.
    every on3p i own skis shorter than advertised

i can slash turn my old skool wide boi bg's much easier in tight trees than my wren 98's

@mattig: definitely do yourself a favor and take MHSP1497's bg's for a spin, game changer

Mattig,

You may want to give the Woodsman 116 a try.

I am liking my pair, especially after I had Bud at Vallian’s tune them.

A few Sundays ago when we went from great snow to mashed potatoes because of the freezing rain, they held their own in both conditions.

I am 5’10” and have the 187cm

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I figured as much... I have skied heavy PNW shit before on my Goats, but that day I so got my ass handed to me... Probably should have hung in there and kept after but pussed out...

Jack, I figured as much regarding faster and straighter... To Norse’s point I was so uncomfortable/unfamiliar skiing those conditions I was skiing like a puss... Never have I been uncomfortable on any Goats or snow conditions until that day... Fitness I know did not come into play last year, but it will this year since I have been unable to workout for 4 months due to my back...! Regardless, I will have to sack it up and get out of my comfort zone and push it harder in that heavy deep shit...

Kudos to you cats that can ski that heavy, gloppy deep shit...! F me I was so frustrated...!

Maybe he's totally right, but I mean there are days the shit gets bad enough that nothing is really "working" but some may be surviving better. On that day it probably would have been worse on not-BGs.

I have yet to get in really nasty shit with mine, but yesterday on the bottom part of the mountain on our way out it had warmed up and the super heavy deep chop was getting bad. I was skiing down (nuking) and thought "huh this snow feels a bit funky." Had to wait a couple minutes for my buddies to get down and they were talking like they were surprised they made it down in one piece. I didn't want to be "that guy" and say I didn't think it was that bad, but shit, maybe it was some BG magic going on there.

To add bit of context. I too was shopping BGs, but when I told the folks at ON3P that I didn’t get to always pick my days or snow conditions, they pointed me to the Woodsman.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    What size are your MWs? I don't think you can fully appreciate what the BG has to offer with a run or two. They are intuitive but did take some time to fully click for me. But god they're good when they do. As for sizing, 189 is the obvious answer. The BG has never felt anything like locked in to a turn to me no matter what kind of conditions I'm in. So experience with long Gunsmokes does not relate IMO. All that said, I could imagine someone bigger but still progressing their skiing being happy with the 184 BG. I'm quite a bit lighter than you (170) but the 184 has never felt too short (nor too long though). If you go that route just realize you may want to step up to the next size after some time on the 184. Depends on how and where you ski really. I doubt you'd find the 189s too much ski though.
    188 cm. I have the windmill blue ones and the next gen after that (red and whatever). I didn't assume gunsmokes were going to be much like the BG, but just giving a point of reference for my limited pow ski experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    if you ever want to take my 184 pre-Asym Billygoat’s out for a day, PM me. I live in Welches and you can just swing by and grab them or something on your way up the mountain. I’ve been reaching for my Cease & Desist’s or the Caylor’s over the Billygoat lately (last year and this one so far). There’s a decent scratch in 1 of the Goat’s that should probably be p-Tex’d but isn’t all the way thru the base so I’ve just been filling w/ wax... Anyway, let me know...
    Thank you, and if you want to wait up at 6am, and are in the 315bsl neighborhood, I may take you up on that. But I'm also probably just going to run out to Evo tomorrow and use my 20% coupon on the 189BG. Just got the replacement sth2 16 wtr today, so I could conceivably be skiing them this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    Mattig,

You may want to give the Woodsman 116 a try.

I am liking my pair, especially after I had Bud at Vallian’s tune them.

A few Sundays ago when we went from great snow to mashed potatoes because of the freezing rain, they held their own in both conditions.

I am 5’10” and have the 187cm
    I would like to try them. I'm sure they've been discussed ad nauseum in this thread, so perhaps I'll go back and avail myself of that knowledge. BG seems more like what I'm looking for though, based on the conditions I suck at skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    To add bit of context. I too was shopping BGs, but when I told the folks at ON3P that I didn’t get to always pick my days or snow conditions, they pointed me to the Woodsman.
    Maybe if I was only going to take one pair of skis to the mountain on those days I can't pick. But based on the limited amount I've read about the woodsman and the massive amount I've read about the BG (plus the few times I've skied it), I don't really agree. Open to being convinced otherwise, but that would take some doing.

Another Billy Goat question, if folks would be so kind...

Do they ski well switch given their tail rocker, or does the unique shape make them weird/ a bit awkward switch?

Quote Originally Posted by AintEZbeingSteezy View Post
    Another Billy Goat question, if folks would be so kind...

Do they ski well switch given their tail rocker, or does the unique shape make them weird/ a bit awkward switch?
    It’s not the tails, it’s the RES in the tips that makes riding switch super squirrely...

Get a Woodsman for skiing switch, or a Jeff. You can do it but you don’t see the pro team riding out rod 5 deep pow landings... often.

Maybe if I was only going to take one pair of skis to the mountain on those days I can't pick. But based on the limited amount I've read about the woodsman and the massive amount I've read about the BG (plus the few times I've skied it), I don't really agree. Open to being convinced otherwise, but that would take some doing.

That was my request only one ski to pick.

It sounds like I need to get onto to some BGs too though.

Enjoy your new Goats!

Anyone on some 189 ASYM RES Goats thinking about downsizing? I'm on last years 184s and recently have been wishing for slightly more ski...

PSA, kinda. Steeple 112s. What are these? Aren't they some version of the billy goat? RES??

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...051948693.html

The slightly skinnier touring version of the Goat.

https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/on3p-steeple-112

I just scheduled a knee replacement so I'm going to thin out some skis. I'm just not strong enough and wont be for a while if ever so hard to justify hanging on to the less used bigger stuff.

First up are my 2020 189 C&D's. Might want to keep them in the living room as art...

Posted shortly on gear swap but early heads up here just in case.

Hey guys, I hope you don't mind jumping into a time machine for this question. My father passed away about three years ago, and now I'm back out west it's time for me to deal with his skis.

About me: 5'5", 125lb, F. Living in Whistler, but travel to the interior and rockies. Comfortable on double blacks that don't have mandatory drops (thanks knee). Aggressive but clearly without any technical training to back it up. Happiest in the trees. My current powder ski is the 171 Caylors from 2011/12 - these are great for a surfy big snow day, but I tend to wish I had something more directional (or maybe longer) for the next couple days. I tried to fit the Armada Norwalks into this gap a few years back, but sold them because they weren't handling chop and crud any better than the Caylors did. I now use my father's old 174 Viciks from 2011/12 as a daily driver and am mostly happy between the two pairs (plus a touring ski). But of course more skis is always better, especially when they're free.

The question comes with what to do with his 176 BGs. I think they're also the 2011/12 model, although he bought them a year later. These things were his babies so I'm reluctant to sell them. That said, the bindings won't adjust to fit my boots, and I don't want to get them remounted to my tiny-ass BSL if there's a 95% chance they're going to kick my ass. Almost all the reviews are from guys with at least 50lbs and half a foot on me, so it's tough to judge. His Viciks work well, but they're enough ski that I have to stay on top of them. I get the sense anything much more substantial will take me for a ride the second I start to get tired. The whole reason I bought Caylors was because I was too much of a wimp to try the BGs.

Am I a fool if I try to ski the BGs?
    Should I leave my pride intact and sell them while they're still on their first mount?
    Is it bad juju to sell a dead guy's favourite skis?

Quote Originally Posted by paige. View Post

Am I a fool if I try to ski the BGs?
    Should I leave my pride intact and sell them while they're still on their first mount?
    Is it bad juju to sell a dead guy's favourite skis?

Answers in order:

No
    No
    Yes.

If you are already rocking the caylors, you will love the Bgs. Later years got a little more dialed in, but it will not be a big leap for you. They are very intuitive and easy to ski.
    Honestly, I would be smiling from the grave if I knew my daughter was finding bliss on my coveted sticks. Knowing how much I covet my goats without that sentimental connection, your story just takes it to 11. Honor yourself and your pops and ride those in beautiful places, you will have a guardian angel with every turn. Report back and let us know how it goes!