Page 317 of 594 FirstFirst ... 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 ... LastLast
Results 7,901 to 7,925 of 14839
    Thanks for the info guys, appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Re sizing: what are some skis and sizes you like now?
    I currently ski a 181cm salomon qst 106 most of the time, and a 180cm Blizzard Brahma for low snow days. I've not really skied anything longer than in all honesty.

I like both skis for what they do, but find the QST lacks for smashing through certain conditions at high speed. I like to charge a lot, but am still kind of leaning 184 BG for the maeuverability, as long as the stability will be a big jump up?

Quote Originally Posted by AintEZbeingSteezy View Post

I currently ski a 181cm salomon qst 106 most of the time, and a 180cm Blizzard Brahma for low snow days. I've not really skied anything longer than in all honesty.

I like both skis for what they do, but find the QST lacks for smashing through certain conditions at high speed. I like to charge a lot, but am still kind of leaning 184 BG for the maeuverability, as long as the stability will be a big jump up?
    184 all day

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I’d be going 187 at least. I’m 5’10” 160. I don’t find the Wren 114 184 a handful at all. And from info above (thanks!) the 187 woodsman skis easier than the 184 wren. I’m considering the 192.
    Interesting. I'm not looking for a mach machine necessarily. I'm king of thinking of it as how much playfulness I'll give up going to the 187 rather than how much stability I'll gain. If that makes sense. Because I have a feeling the 182 Woodsman will still be plenty stable. A 184/5 would have made for an easy decision for me I think. But looking at the numbers I guess the 187 (with -6 from center mount) still ends up 1.5cm shorter up front than my BGs so, shit, maybe that is the right one.

iigy: I don't think anyone is saying you should mark true center and make people measure on the ski. Just that for a researching tool it would be nice to get a better idea of ski intent/design by being able to easily see what the recommended mount point is with reference to center. Just another row on the dimension table for each ski. Even if it was the nominal/approximate for the whole line rather than the exact number.

My little brother (5'9" 72ish kilos) skis a 179 BG, machs, and never wants a longer ski. Finds it a plenty stable landing platform. If you're used to shorter skis, I don't think you need the BG to be longer, and could consider the 179. Though, big skis are fun.

I have a 180 Brahma and they are way too short for me when I go out west with them but I love them here in the middle west where long skis just make the hills shorter. I also have the 184 BG and they never ever feel too short. Stability at speed is fine. I always struggle in tight trees but not at going moderately fast when things open up and they never feel like they are holding me back at sub mach speeds. The choice for me was a no brainer both times ie 186 Original BG and 184 16/17's. 6'2 205.
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    184 all day
    Yes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    I’m 5’10” 170 and really on the fence for Woodsman sizing. In the Jeff I would for sure go 186 with it being a bit more fwd mount and more tail rocker. I’d also go 184 Wren and currently ski a 184 BG.

My old 184 Bibbys measure 182.3 with a -6 mount and the tips do seem a bit on the short side. Then again I’m leaning towards the more serious ski (vs Wildcat 108) so maybe I should get the more playful size. And I think I’d get a 184 WC 108 which is the same size and mount as a 182 Woodsman.

Anyone about my size been on either or both sizes?
    I ski 184 BG and 187 Woodsman 108.

I used to ski Kartel 108 at 181. I sold it and replaced it with the woodsman. I've got 10 days this year on Crystal, Baker, and Whistler. Much happier.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post

I used to ski Kartel 108 at 181. I sold it and replaced it with the woodsman. I've got 10 days this year on Crystal, Baker, and Whistler. Much happier.
    What size are you? Interested in more feedback on the Woodsman in PNW snow.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    What size are you? Interested in more feedback on the Woodsman in PNW snow.
    5'9 190 lbs. Sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post

Good feedback, thanks. I'm in the Seattle area as well. Ski WP mostly these days (buddy with a cabin in Packwood) but try to get to Crystal and occasionally Alpy as well. What does it do better or worse? Or rather what makes you happier on it and what do you miss from the Kartel?

Good feedback, thanks. I'm in the Seattle area as well. Ski WP mostly these days (buddy with a cabin in Packwood) but try to get to Crystal and occasionally Alpy as well. What does it do better or worse? Or rather what makes you happier on it and what do you miss from the Kartel?
    Kartel's didn't fit my skiing style. I wanted a PNW daily driver that was ~108 underfoot to complement the Billy Goats. I'm a fairly neutral skier and didn't want to drive front of my skis 100% of the time. So naturally I chose Kartel 108's over Wrens. Then the Woodsman was announced and it suited my style more accurately.

Woodsman handle hard snow conditions better than the K108. Icy steeps at Baker were terrifying on the K108, less so on Woodsman. Less tail rocker than K108, which would wash out occasionally. It carves bigger turns while still giving you to the option pivot through trees or huck stuff.

Kartels are more playful and better at popping off everything, spinning and landing switch. They also slarve very well.

Hope that helps.

Makes sense and I'm in that same place. Nearly pulled the trigger on K108s a few times. Kind of glad I never did. As for size, what made you go with 181 Kartel originally then 187 Woodsman?

Don't remember why, but if I were to repurchase K108 again, it get the 186 for sure. It's got more rocker than I had originally anticipated.

182 cm Woodsman 108 with Pivot 14s up for sale in Gear Swap

what made you go with 181 Kartel originally then 187 Woodsman?
    cant speak for others but this is the first year for the woodsies, if they were available last season i would have opted for them over my current K108 DD in 191

love my kartels and wouldn't trade em for anything as a solid DD, length i got no horse in the discussion race as im tall and lanky so i choose the big boi lengths every time. ime, on3p's ski shorter than one would think given the length...

Quote Originally Posted by detuned View Post
    cant speak for others but this is the first year for the woodsies, if they were available last season i would have opted for them over my current K108 DD in 191

love my kartels and wouldn't trade em for anything as a solid DD, length i got no horse in the discussion race as im tall and lanky so i choose the big boi lengths every time. ime, on3p's ski shorter than one would think given the length...
    Yeah I was referring to the size change while swapping. But you all are leaning me towards 187.

Check my math real quick if you'd be so kind.

me: 6'00" / 215lbs. directional skier. PNW. CAN ski anywhere on the mountain, but not always like a boss .

quiver hole at 110-120mm. I've A/B'd my floppy OG megawatts and 189 BGs on medium-soft/deep tracked out leftovers and slightly preferred MWs, but felt like I would eventually prefer BGs as my skiing improves, and that I'm somehow less of a person living where I live without owning a pair.

Questions:

1. Safe to assume no votes for 184? 193 gunsmokes felt a bit too long and locked in for tight trees (different ski than BG, I realize).

2. Sorry if I missed it, but are there any changes to BG for next season that I want to wait for?

Many thanks

^^189 C&D or 187 Woodsman 116
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Check my math real quick if you'd be so kind.

me: 6'00" / 215lbs. directional skier. PNW. CAN ski anywhere on the mountain, but not always like a boss .

quiver hole at 110-120mm. I've A/B'd my floppy OG megawatts and 189 BGs on medium-soft/deep tracked out leftovers and slightly preferred MWs, but felt like I would eventually prefer BGs as my skiing improves, and that I'm somehow less of a person living where I live without owning a pair.

Questions:

1. Safe to assume no votes for 184? 193 gunsmokes felt a bit too long and locked in for tight trees (different ski than BG, I realize).

2. Sorry if I missed it, but are there any changes to BG for next season that I want to wait for?

Many thanks
    I have more days on the 188 MW than I can remember. I really connected with that ski. I would say the natural progression in the on3p realm was the Wren 114, alas it is no more.

I think 189 BG would be the most rewarding once you get used to it. It won't rail the groom on the return to the chair like the MW can, but it is quicker in tight trees and handles all flavors of PNW 3-d snow. The first time you get a RES ski in wind- or rain-affected "pow" you're eyes will be opened.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    The first time you get a RES ski in wind- or rain-affected "pow" you're eyes will be opened.
    This is a priority for sure. I can't pick my days, so I'd like to learn how to enjoy snow I currently don't enjoy. The above is on that list as is the uncommonly dense/wet (even for PNW) pow that I can't seem to turn in with my 98mm skis or stay on top of without excessive tail-gunning. Breakable crust over mank also poses problems, but I've just resolved not to turn next time that shit happens, or to go back to the camper and drink.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^189 C&D or 187 Woodsman 116
    Woodsman is intriguing. I haven't read up on it enough. Would like to try though.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    This is a priority for sure. I can't pick my days, so I'd like to learn how to enjoy snow I currently don't enjoy. The above is on that list as is the uncommonly dense/wet (even for PNW) pow that I can't seem to turn in with my 98mm skis or stay on top of without excessive tail-gunning. Breakable crust over mank also poses problems, but I've just resolved not to turn next time that shit happens, or to go back to the camper and drink.
    You should just snap up the next pair of 189's that meet your needs in GS. You'll go from day drinking in the camper to having a goat day!

.Name:  hWjtDRh_d.jpeg
Views: 501
Size:  32.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    You should just snap up the next pair of 189's that meet your needs in GS. You'll go from day drinking in the camper to having a goat day!
    QFT. Last Saturday at Alpental pissed rain all morning on top of 8" of wet snow. Started on the QLab but the tail was rough as the mank got chopped up. Switched to my 191 BG after 2 runs and they ate it up. What looked like was going to suck, turned into a really fun day.

I also used to have the OG Megawatt. Very fun ski in the fluff, but was too soft for me in the heavier pow we have here. Always room for both. You don't need to get rid of a ski you love.

Yep, Evo threw me a 20% coupon off a whole order to say sorry for sending me some lightly scuffed bindings sold as new (they also replaced those with brand new ones. Love Evo...). So I'm thinking of grabbing the goats by the balls and paring some redundant sections of the quiver.

Definitely keeping megawatts and possibly the red ones too, but they're an entirely different ski. Need to get those some A/B time with Spurs.

Thanks for confirming the lean

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Small thread drift regarding the BG and PNW cement and feedback... I have been on and owned 3 different versions of the Billygoat - 1st gen 191 with the bullet/shark nose and RES, next get 191 with the rounder nose 2014 and now 193 Supergoat std flex... Every year I finish off my ski season in April for an 8 day ski trip to Bach... Last year on the 2nd day we received 10" overnight and the temperatures were on the higher side (32/33ish)... I got there first thing in the morning and my first several laps were absolutely fantastic and the snow was obviously on the heavy side... I have skied this type of snow with no issues and the SGs performed beautifully... Fast forward to to around 11ish and the snow skied like heavy mashed potatoes and I absolutely got my ass handed to me... The snow was pushing against me on every turn and more than once I fell over on the turn as I was unable to fight the snow building up on the turn...

My question is - when you guys say the BGs kill it in these conditions are you saying even on the really heavy and I mean heavy mashed potatoes snow conditions they still kill it...? Now if we received only a few inches with this type of snow I know I would have been able to ski it, but with 10" of really heavy dense shit I skied it like I have never been on skis before... Just curious and if the answer is yes what tips can you throw my way... I ended up doing the walk of shame back to the bar around 11:30ish and called it a day to get my drink on... The mountain had pretty much emptied out at this point and I am sure some of it was the locals heading home after the morning conditions and some of it was due to the heavy snow conditions... What say you BG/PNW skiers as I have to skip my upcoming Feb trip to Bach for back surgery, but am already booked for 4/10th to 4/18th and am open to some Mag input...?

With all due respect, it sounds like you were being a pussy.

Goats chow on chowder.