Page 306 of 599 FirstFirst ... 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 ... LastLast
Results 7,626 to 7,650 of 14970
    I have Wren 114’s and can verify they are still fairly loose and can be bent into tighter turns if you drive the tips.

I would be interested in Woodman 116’s to try, but the Wren really is a ‘new school’ charger than can still drift turns and pivot. If that’s what you’re looking for just custom order a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    @SkiLyft & @kid-kapow: Thank you for answering

It seems that Woodsman 116 would probably be a better bet for my type of skiing after I missed the opportunity to buy a pair of Wren 114s.

Indulge me for a moment and let's talk the Woodsmna 108... it has my attention. (and it's in stock w/ON3P and I desire instant gratification).

I read a few snippets of them here and there, though there doesn't seem to be a ton of beta on them. Or maybe my Google-fu is weak? In any case, I'm after some collective maggotry wisdom. Basically, I've been on the hunt to replace the Salomon Rocker2 108 in my quiver for a few years.

Now I know what you're thinking. "A mass-produced, soft ski?!" Hear me out. Despite the R2's base constructed of butter and it having the flex pattern of a pool noodel; the shape was dialed. In the 190cm lenght, the waist width was a nice 111mm, the tips and tails had very little splay, the skis planed exceptionally well in all but the deepest and lightest snow, they were very easy to ski, and in small new snow amounts and storm skiing; they were great. In tight trees, natural features, and the like - they were super fun. For you PacNorthwestners, think sessioning the trees off NWX and Outback at Bachelor all day. With all that said, I wanted this same ski with the construction of ON3P.

For additional context, some skis I've loved and own(ed) over the years:
    - Flat tail Wren 191cm. Sold when I left Montana. Loved them for raging tram laps off Lone Peak.
    - Wren 108 189cm. Sold them after I realized that it's still too much ski for the PNWet, even for my ex-wannabe racer ass.
    - Moment Bibby 190cm. I adored these skis. Sold to make way for the BillGoat.
    - BIllyGoat 189cm. I love these skis. Probably my favorite of all time. From my cold, dead hands...
    - Vicik 187cm. Still own and daily these. They are terrific for hardpack days, slush missions in the spring and almost anything else outside of pow.
    - Vicik Tours. Gifted to my brother. He loves. I loved them
    - Dynastar Legend Pro XXL. The precursor to the W191. Loved these. Traded to a close friend for several bottles of Willie's bourbon.
    - Moment Exit World & Underworld. Still own these and love them for touring for pow or for volcano walking, respectively.
    - Moment Tahoe in 189(?)cm. Great early and late season skis.
    - 4FRNT Renegade 186. Sold because it was too short. Super fun ski in tits deep cold smoke pow
    - 4FRNT Ren 196. Own both the Raven 2.0 and Owls. Both are great but they are beasts. I've heli- or cat-skied with them and in coastal BC conditions, they are brilliant. You can resort ski them on massive storm total days, but they will categorically destroy your stamina and leg endurance. Both are for sale.

The Kartel 108 had been suggested to me a few times, but they seem to spinny-flippy to me and I like a more traditional mount point, even on a twin tip ski. The Woodman 108 seems like it'd be my jam. And what I'd give up in playfulness, I'd get back in an incredibly durable ski and something I could rail a bit more through chopped and cut-up snow. I also considered the Moment Wildcat 108 but those are out of stoke, winter is upon us, and I'm not waiting until February to recklessly spend money to expand my quiver.

tl;dr - I want to replace Rocke2 108s with something more of a backbone. Is the Woodsman 108 that ski?

Woodsman 108 is going to be a bit more easy going vicik/wren 108. If you love the viciks I think you’re good to go.

Get the 187 for similarity to the rock2. Sounds like the ski you’re looking for.

If you adored the bibby the wildcat 108 could also be a good choice.

Also arent you in Portland? Why dont you just demo the wood108 from the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post

Also arent you in Portland? Why dont you just demo the wood108 from the factory?
    Because that's easy and makes sense.

More importantly, I'm out of the state until the weekend and I'd much rather talk ski-whoring instead of working.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    The Kartel 108 had been suggested to me a few times, but they seem to spinny-flippy to me and I like a more traditional mount point, even on a twin tip ski.
    If I remember correctly the rocker2 108 recommended mount point is -3 from center. The K108 is -4.25. I'm curious where you liked the R2 mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey311 View Post
    If I remember correctly the rocker2 108 recommended mount point is -3 from center. The K108 is -4.25. I'm curious where you liked the R2 mounted.
    As far back as I could go. In fact, I think I went 3cm behind the rear-most mount line. Similar with the Bibby's; of all the suggested mounts, I went with the rear-most line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I have Wren 114’s and can verify they are still fairly loose and can be bent into tighter turns if you drive the tips.

I would be interested in Woodman 116’s to try, but the Wren really is a ‘new school’ charger than can still drift turns and pivot. If that’s what you’re looking for just custom order a pair.
    I’ve been on the W108 as a daily driver and tour stick for the past three years. I really find the new-er generation of Wren much more versatile but still just as hard charging as the old flat tail and before. But first impressions last I guess.

Skied W114’s in pretty shitfuckt conditions at Stevens Pass today. Will confirm they can turn tight, but it’s work. Laying high speed trenches on groomers on a big stiff ski like that was decent fun given the snow we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    I want to replace Rocke2 108s with something more of a backbone. Is the Woodsman 108 that ski?
    little late to the party, but i think the Woods108 isn't out of the question for ya

personally never skied em but i was on R2's for a bit a few seasons ago before i found my Wren 98's - great versatile tour/all around ski, i made the transition to the wren very quickly and never looked back

DD is the K108, probably would have gone with the Woods108 but they weren't available last fall, iirc the mount point between the Kartel/Jeff vs Woods is 2cm? Woods being 2cm aft of the K/J (say -5 vs -7)

rode the K108 all last season til final three days at rec, then moved back 2cm and it made a pretty big difference in drivability on firmer snow for me. can still feel the playfulness in most conditions but now able to have more confidence blasting through chop/crud/ripping soft groomers

most likely id love a Woodsman, but i cant afford new skis rn. based on how much i like the K/J and the wren id guess the Woodsman is right in the wheelhouse of charge/play with the full on confidence of a solid platform that on3p never fails to deliver...ymmv

Skied woodsman 96s yesterday in some soft groomers, soft bumps, and firm bumps. Defiantly more ski than a Kartel, really wants to be driven and skis better the faster you go and likes being kept in the fall line. Tail still releases easily, but more Wrenegade than Jeffery/Kartel. Mindbender Ti and a stiffer Rustler is likely the best comparison to other company’s skis. Forward stance is rewarded - I’ll be putting a small spoiler in the boots for these vs skiing a Kartel. These are going to be a great firm snow ski. Pretty stoked to have a sub 100mm ski with a 22m turn radius.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Skied woodsman 96s yesterday in some soft groomers, soft bumps, and firm bumps. Defiantly more ski than a Kartel, really wants to be driven and skis better the faster you go and likes being kept in the fall line. Tail still releases easily, but more Wrenegade than Jeffery/Kartel. Mindbender Ti and a stiffer Rustler is likely the best comparison to other company’s skis. Forward stance is rewarded - I’ll be putting a small spoiler in the boots for these vs skiing a Kartel. These are going to be a great firm snow ski. Pretty stoked to have a sub 100mm ski with a 22m turn radius.
    Thanks. Considering these for next year.
    187s mounted on the line?

Currently, It seems that I sway even more towards pulling the trigger on a pair of Woodsmans 116.

But what about length?

I am 5'5 (165lbs and not fat) and I have difficulty choosing between 182 and 187. I really like both my Wrens in 184cm if that helps, but I worry that 187 might be too long.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Thanks. Considering these for next year.
    187s mounted on the line?
    Always on the line. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by detuned View Post
    little late to the party, but i think the Woods108 isn't out of the question for ya

personally never skied em but i was on R2's for a bit a few seasons ago before i found my Wren 98's - great versatile tour/all around ski, i made the transition to the wren very quickly and never looked back

DD is the K108, probably would have gone with the Woods108 but they weren't available last fall, iirc the mount point between the Kartel/Jeff vs Woods is 2cm? Woods being 2cm aft of the K/J (say -5 vs -7)

rode the K108 all last season til final three days at rec, then moved back 2cm and it made a pretty big difference in drivability on firmer snow for me. can still feel the playfulness in most conditions but now able to have more confidence blasting through chop/crud/ripping soft groomers

most likely id love a Woodsman, but i cant afford new skis rn. based on how much i like the K/J and the wren id guess the Woodsman is right in the wheelhouse of charge/play with the full on confidence of a solid platform that on3p never fails to deliver...ymmv
    Good intel. The Kartels always seemed too center-mounted for me. And too much tip and tail splay.

I like. I’ve never skied the other two skis you mention but something that likes to be driven with more forgiveness and playfulness than a Wren is a good thing. The R2s were plenty fun; just no backbone.

I sold the Wren 108 in the 189 length because it was just too much ski for me in wet side of the PNwet.

Quote Originally Posted by aanev View Post
    Currently, It seems that I sway even more towards pulling the trigger on a pair of Woodsmans 116.

But what about length?

I am 5'5 (165lbs and not fat) and I have difficulty choosing between 182 and 187. I really like both my Wrens in 184cm if that helps, but I worry that 187 might be too long.
    182 seems like the right answer here. Plenty stable and plenty of float. I doubt the extra float from the 187 would be worth what you would lose in bumps/trees

I have 182cm Woodsman 96 @line; I’m 5’10” 200lb pretty good skier but I’ve also realized I don’t need every ski to be super tall. I ski a 186 Kartel 108 @-2cm from the line and a 189 Billy Goat @ line.

Sweet! I think the 182 or a shorter size is the ticket for a sub 100mm ski. I really want to get on the skinny woodsman, sounds like loads of fun

I have 182cm Woodsman 96 @line; I’m 5’10” 200lb pretty good skier but I’ve also realized I don’t need every ski to be super tall. I ski a 186 Kartel 108 @-2cm from the line and a 189 Billy Goat @ line.
    Thanks. Totally agree on not going too long on a semi-playful, non-powder ski. However, being a bit taller than you, a 184 length would be better.
    Funny thing is that I ski a 189 Wren108, which I would like better at 187, so for me the Wren/Woodsman lengths are a bit of.

Bummer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image-1(9).jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	380.3 KB 
ID:	308274
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image(17).jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	731.2 KB 
ID:	308273
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

^^^ WOAH!

At least it's not on an edge (but almost on both!).
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Ouch. Little base weld good as new. Thankfully no edge was compromised.

Chair six takes what it’s due...

It hurts to see those veneer 191 BG’s with such a battle scar...
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    It hurts to see those veneer 191 BG’s with such a battle scar...
    186 Jeffreys. Which sucks cuz they're are my only skis narrower and shorter than the 191 BGs that's not mounted with speed superlights.

Weird thing is I didn't feel a huge impact or anything. Got down to the flat traverse out and thought my brakes had deployed or something cuz my ski kept catching. Oh well.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    186 Jeffreys. Which sucks cuz they're are my only skis narrower and shorter than the 191 BGs that's not mounted with speed superlights.

Weird thing is I didn't feel a huge impact or anything. Got down to the flat traverse out and thought my brakes had deployed or something cuz my ski kept catching. Oh well.
    You must have really hammered that rock. I've rarely seen a hit like that on an ON3P base. Gnarly!

++vibes++