Page 211 of 599 FirstFirst ... 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,275 of 14970
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Fry cook?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Fry Cook Supervisor is what my business card says

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Cdubmpdx View Post
    Don't rush it. I'm married, a new baby, and a demanding career and I will struggle to get 30 days in. Yeah, I could get more in easily but I would have to give up time elsewhere. Gets tougher to find the balance. Probably the wrong career choice?

This is way too deep though, build the quiver, live fast, die old. Back to the subject...

PB&J VS kartel 96...or Wren 96 but I have the 108 and wanting a diffent feel on low tide days to fuck around on. Not sure why I want a narrower ski but been thinking about it....go.

I ride a K98 as a daily driver. It’s a custom build though, much like Auvgeek’s. Veneer, extra carbon (stiff), 22oz fiberglass and standard core thickness. They’re awesome for low-tide days for me. I’m not a park-rat in any way, but I do like to pop off the stuff I find around the mountain. They rail groomers, crusty days, low-tide and no-new-snow-in-weeks just fine for me out West. Others have said the rocker is too deep for hard-snow, but I’ve not had any issues with the rocker lines here on Mt. Hood. If I were still skiing in Wisconsin, I’d probably look at something else...

Any new or fresh snow gets the BG’s or the C&D’s in my quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    I Others have said the rocker is too deep for hard-snow, but I’ve not had any issues with the rocker lines here on Mt. Hood.
    I ride at Hood too which has some of the worst grooming I've seen so I'm not to worried about something that really rails, but I do want some hard snow performance, I don't mind a heavily rockered ski. Sounds like we have similar styles, I want to hop and play around if there is no pow, but still rip hard at the same time. Any experience with the Moment PB&J by chance?

I ride at Hood too which has some of the worst grooming I've seen so I'm not to worried about something that really rails, but I do want some hard snow performance, I don't mind a heavily rockered ski. Sounds like we have similar styles, I want to hop and play around if there is no pow, but still rip hard at the same time. Any experience with the Moment PB&J by chance?

Haven’t ridden Moments at all, so cannot comment on them.

Betel is your guy there, he’s ridden them all and has a fairly good grasp on their relative strengths/weaknesses (among ON3P, Praxis, Moment and some others, he’s bought/sold a lot of skis the last few years chasing his own version of perfect).

I’m headed to T-Line today (gonna leave in a few). You’re welcome to take the K98’s for a whirl if you’d like. I have a 315bsl and have STH2-16’s on them with lots of room to move the heel. If not today, PM me and we can make it happen some other time. I live on the mountain already, so my drive to T-Line is only about 20-mins.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Yeah. I need to hit them with a gummi but they weren’t too bad, even in the wind-affected two day old crud. It’s gonna be a great compliment to the Super Goat.
    Best two ski quiver I own and have ever owned... SGs and Wren 108s will tackle it all...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

ON3P SKIS Discussion

I havent tried the thinnest Kartel. The pb&j and Wildcat ski more like a Blizzard Gunsmoke or Peacemaker, than a Kartel 108/116. Really depends on what you are looking for. If you want to jib hard and ski switch all the time, or just want a looser more progressive feeling ski, I think the Kartel 108 is better. Pb&J feels a bit more traditional. Both are fast, yet easy going..

One thing for sure is On3ps are more durable, with thicker materials.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Betelgeuse; 12-15-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Just got my BIlly Goats mounted up. Grabbed them at the end of last season while I was recovering from shoulder surgery as a motivator to work hard and get back stronger. Quiver pic. The Bibby Pros will take rock duties, and I hope to swap the Q Labs for a W108 or K108 after I get a chance to ski both as my no-new-snow sticks. I’m so stoked for my first ON3P skis!

I switched to 185-108 2017-18 wren from the 185 2015-16 Cochise this season. Wren feels as chargy as Cochise but playful and easy to disengage. Skied a powder day at kirkwood on dec 1, and wrens had more float than Cochise and were much better in trees and easier at slow speeds. Definitely recommend.

Finally took out my 189 16-17 Wren 108's this past weekend. Conditions were 3+ inches of fresh on variable with some very icy patches mixed in to keep it interesting. I have to agree that the Wrens are much easier to ski than I had previously imagined. Have a really nice blend of stability and playfulness without being too out of balance in either direction. I would definitely say that they have a soft snow bias. The reminded me a lot of my Billy Goats but with a more all-mtn feel (and no RES). I did wish for a bit more edge grip on the really firm groomers, where I would feel them wash out from time to time. I checked the edges underfoot and they were sharp, so not sure if it was me or the ski. I swapped out to my 190 2010 Katanas before lunch and noticed a huge difference in edge grip.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I will keep these. I really enjoyed them, but can see me picking one of my BG's for slightly deeper days and my Cochise or Katana for more variable conditions since I still have such an affinity for metal layups.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Bandit Man, that is pretty frickin accurate.

I no longer own a wider ski than my 17-18 Wren 108 184's. They are ideal for PNW (Whistler) pow which is basically huge piles of dense cut up when it's big.

Based on the rocker profile pics + widths I never believed these would be anything other than a narrow-ish pow ski and they are exactly as I thought they'd be. I was hoping they'd be a better carver in firmer conditions when I hit those and they are not. But I knew this, again, that big long tip rocker and 28m radius is not going to hook up. They are pleasantly as loose as I expected: minimal camber + long tip/tail rockers. My other 3 skis in reg rotation are various width Head Monsters so take the previous with that in mind: my bar for saying a ski can carve is set pretty high by the Heads.

I find these things tanks and super damp and since I've come to really dislike how much a 116+ underfoot ski sucks (to me) in anything but good 3d snow, they are ideal for my purposes. My widest skis never have metal, it seems. Personally, I really, really like the W108's for my intents and purposes which is a versatile directional resort pow ski.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    Bandit Man, that is pretty frickin accurate.

I no longer own a wider ski than my 17-18 Wren 108 184's. They are ideal for PNW (Whistler) pow which is basically huge piles of dense cut up when it's big.

Based on the rocker profile pics + widths I never believed these would be anything other than a narrow-ish pow ski and they are exactly as I thought they'd be. I was hoping they'd be a better carver in firmer conditions when I hit those and they are not. But I knew this, again, that big long tip rocker and 28m radius is not going to hook up. They are pleasantly as loose as I expected: minimal camber + long tip/tail rockers. My other 3 skis in reg rotation are various width Head Monsters so take the previous with that in mind: my bar for saying a ski can carve is set pretty high by the Heads.

I find these things tanks and super damp and since I've come to really dislike how much a 116+ underfoot ski sucks (to me) in anything but good 3d snow, they are ideal for my purposes. My widest skis never have metal, it seems. Personally, I really, really like the W108's for my intents and purposes which is a versatile directional resort pow ski.
    I appreciate that perspective. Thanks for chiming in. If I didn't already have the BG's, I was thinking that a Wren 108 and narrower frontside ski could be a really nice PNW quiver...which you just confirmed.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Cheers to the Whistler mag who humoured my request to flex his Wrens at Creekside on Saturday. "Weird flex, but okay" and all that.

ON3P skis are hard as hell to find in Canada, so it was nice to finally feel a pair in hand. They definitely had me coveting.

I also really, really like Wren108s in soft snow. While I know this is tantamount to sacrilege I must admit to preferring them to BGs, which is why I got me some killer w114s almost as soon as I could.

Wrens ability to just carve through whatever at mach loony in soft snow is pretty killer imo, even if there are better skis on firm snow. My LibTech POWs carves (/rails soft snow) better on firm snow due to their geometry/sidecut, but I was surprised to find that I much preferred the balanced and catchless feel of Wren108s in 184 over POWs in 181. W108's rocker profile and their narrower tail made for a much more intuitive and stable ride imo, which frankly surprised me (I kept on nearly going over the handlebars on the POWs, which surprised me given their 115mm waist and my considerable time on them over years past - in spite of my new alpine mount on the POWs were centered as opposed to -1.5 or some such as they used to be (preferred that mount tbh)). Some of my best moments in the season past was bombing through snow that was so tracked out and bumpy that it was not even funny, but where I could just arch monster turns on w108s no problems (even if I admittedly was a bit timid at times to do short radius turns due to my fear of catching an edge and slamming). That feeling when you can just let them run and help keep you out of problems is pretty amazing imo.

Anyway, can't wait to get my w108s and w114s alike - ON3P hit the ball out of the park on the first one imo, so it will be really interesting to see if I can live up to w114 standards

Good discussion here. I still really need to get on a W108 and K108.

I've been trying to narrow down skis for my little bro the last couple days. Naturally I'm steering him to ON3P. He's coming off his poor-college-kid one ski quiver of 4FRNT EHP in 179 (bought on discount and too short). He says he wants a twin as he skis switch a lot. Looking for some balance between charging and jibbing. The Kartel line seems about perfect. But where I'm stumped to advise is K108 vs K116. He's in SW MT where there can be considerable time between storms so I'm inclined to suggest the K108 as a one ski quiver. That said he's been on 116 underfoot EHP for a daily the last 6 years. I live for the powder days, so I can see making the choice to choose the K116 instead. Thoughts?

I’m considering last year’s Kartel 108 in 8/10 condition and one mount, sold flat from a local seller. How much should I be paying?

I might as well join the Wren108 choir. Took them out on Friday at Lake Louise, 20-40cm day, perfect conditions. I could of taken my BGs out but I ski them too much (partly because they have Shifts) and wanted to put more time in on resort setup 189 W108s. Such a rad day, charging and dropping all day, easy to ski, good float, just hooking up so nice!

Around $350 - $425 is pretty reasonable. A set of flawless Billy Goats sold on Denver Craigslist a few weeks ago for $350... but that's abnormal.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    I’m considering last year’s Kartel 108 in 8/10 condition and one mount, sold flat from a local seller. How much should I be paying?

all this talk is making me feel real efficient in adding a k116 on top of a w108; thanks guys. next purchase i hope is sub 90mm, like i know i need.

These most recent comments about the wren being a more soft snow biased ski are making think of different options for a 108ish all conditions but hard snow biased/looking for fresh turns type ski. Maybe the new ski that’s coming next year from on3p or maybe I should look at narrower skis?

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    These most recent comments about the wren being a more soft snow biased ski are making think of different options for a 108ish all conditions but hard snow biased/looking for fresh turns type ski. Maybe the new ski that’s coming next year from on3p or maybe I should look at narrower skis?
    This. What ski is closest to this in the current lineup. Kartel?

Also, I eventually break every ski I have that doesn’t have metal, but I’m thinking ON3P will be different. Fair assumption?

From what I’ve seen the Kartel has a similar rocker line as the Wren. It’s also not as stiff and has more tail rocker. It does have a righter radius sidecut, but I don’t see why it would be a better hard snow ski than the Wren. I wouldn’t say anything in their lineup is hard snow biased really. Decent in hard conditions, sure, but not specifically designed for it IMO.

I would be surprised if you break an ON3P in normal skiing in any reasonable expected life timeframe.

just to clarify what i mean with soft snow - anything other than icy groomers.

Kartel108s are also a riot. They cater to more turn shapes imo due to more sidecut and softer flex pattern, and are very able to carve - again - softer snow. K108s do not have the same ability to punch through variable snow as wrens though.

My wren108s are probably my favorite skis in my quiver, yet I would probably still pick a k108 as my one ski quiver - due to it being so versatile, turny and easy going all over the mountain. I would probably opt to stiffen it up a bit - or I would be tempted to try anyway. ON3Ps forte is not icy groomers imo, but even with just a tiny bit of soft groomed snow ON3Ps start to shine.

And sorry, i feel like i am repeating myself a bit too much in this post - this has been discussed over and over again in this thread Regardless, they key take away is that ON3Ps in general punch above their weight in softer snow due to dialed shapes, deep rocker lines and a healthy amount of splay, and it might be the cores that make them so stable7damp, chargy and forgiving in soft snow is what makes them slightly less able on ice - perhaps due to less torsional stiffness, I dunno. I think it is trade off that is 100% worth it - ON3Ps ski fantastically most of the time.

if anybody reads this as ON3P in general are poor on icy groomers, well, they are not, they are just not comparable to GS carving ice crushers. But then again, the latter suck in soft snow - so different horses for different courses.

Just to add my 2 cents since I own both skis. The K108's firm snow performance is not comparable to the Wren 108. It's not even close. If there's anything frozen in the morning, I'm fine with the Wren, but the K108 is only coming out if the snow is soft and playful and easy to edge.

Thanks all. Good stuff above even if it’s repeated. I’m sure I asked a question that’s been answered a dozen times already earlier in the thread. Definitely not looking for a hard snow ski, but do want something that I can take out for the day and will be fun in <6”, in trees, bumps, also the occasional groomer. My harder snow skis are Monster 98s and I’m definitely not giving those up, but for me they’re also not a full day/all conditions ski. Like the softer profile and shorter radius of the K108 compared to the Wren, but I’m not ever in the park, and switch on teles isn’t awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    Like the softer profile and shorter radius of the K108 compared to the Wren, but I’m not ever in the park, and switch on teles isn’t awesome.
    K108 is a capable ski. I rarely ride switch and almost never ride park. I liked the K108 a lot when I've skied it. I like the w108 for the more tradition mount and longer turning radius but I thought they handled pretty similarly with the w108 have a bit more throttle. Not sure how either Tele but I bet you would be happy with the K108.