Page 168 of 599 FirstFirst ... 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 ... LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 14972
    Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    I ain’t buying anymore inbounds skis.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Attachment 233963

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Damn

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Attachment 233963

I like it!! Are those last ones C&D’s or SG’s?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

ON3P SKIS Discussion

2017 191 C&Ds. Very fun skis, although I only got to use them 3 days this year. They are amazing in deep untracked, chop, or soft chunder. They like speed, for sure. As fast as Supergoats in blower pow, even though SGs are twice as stiff. Something about the C&D design makes them haul the mail in soft snow. I cant even imagine what the earlier, non tour core C&Ds were like. Only for AK?

I got caught up in some stupid deep snow, a few times in flatter spots..These aren’t for noodling around at 5-10mph like an Armada JJ/Bubba. But follow the fall line, and the floatation is absolutely astonishing. It’s incredible. Better than any Armada ski, or K2 Hellbent, which float exceptionally well. Only thing that comes close for me, is Supergoats. Im sure Pontoons and 4frnt Rens or Protests are similar, haven’t skied them. They ride on top of the snow, and you can just maneuver however you want if you got the speed, when most people are getting pulled under 3 feet of mid-density pow.

I prefer C&D for blower, and prefer SG for heavy cheese.

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 04-27-2018 at 10:46 PM.

Attachment 233963

ffs. and I thought *I* had a gear problem

ON3P SKIS Discussion

I must say, as good as 191 Wrens, SGs and CDs are in their element...186 K116s rip spring slush like no other. Best slush ski out of my ENTIRE quiver quiver. I feel like I’m just surfing around on top of a liquid, and can make any movement I choose, and don’t get any suction on that wet “sandpapery” snow.

I’m finding I have a hard time with my more directional skis in sticky spring snow. I’m not too experienced in hot snow, or skiing after 4/20. When I drive the directional skis through any flatter runouts, or wet spots, I feel like I’m at risk of going over the bars. I’m probably just out of shape, but the K116s are saving my ass in sticky situations.

Finally figured out my ski boot problems, after almost 2 months of issues!!!! Ready to rip again. Cross your fingers for tomorrow.

So sick! I’m looking forward to trying some wren 108s myself next season.

Like I’ve said many times before I’d be so into the Auvgeek pro, Scott you did say that if we hounded you enough you would build our ski

How did you end up fixing your boot issues?

Attachment 233963

Jesus, holy shit......that is an incredible sight.

Finally figured out my ski boot problems, after almost 2 months of issues!!!! Ready to rip again. Cross your fingers for tomorrow.

F yeah!

I’m finding I have a hard time with my more directional skis in sticky spring snow. I’m not too experienced in hot snow, or skiing after 4/20. When I drive the directional skis through any flatter runouts, or wet spots, I feel like I’m at risk of going over the bars. I’m probably just out of shape, but the K116s are saving my ass in sticky situations.
    You know, it might partially be the tune. Search here for wax and base structure tips for sticky spring snow. alpinord has some good posts on the subject.

And if you want to have the K116 specifically for spring snow, you could even have a shop put a spring-specific structure on them.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

At a certain point in Tahoe in the afternoon, the snow is just going to get grabby no matter what. But yeah, you can buy some more time with a good spring / warm temp wax coating.

Painful to do so, but my Wren 98's in 184 are for sale: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...84cm?p=5334759

For some reason the Kartels just don’t get hung up nearly as much as my other skis. I have detuned the contact points quite a bit, Idk if that made all the difference.

I definitely wanna try a spring structure base or some graphite/hot wax. My solution has been either center-ish mounted skis, like Kartels, or super heavy Head Monsters. Those don’t get nearly as hung up for some reason.

For some reason the Kartels just don’t get hung up nearly as much as my other skis. I have detuned the contact points quite a bit, Idk if that made all the difference.

I definitely wanna try a spring structure base or some graphite/hot wax. My solution has been either center-ish mounted skis, like Kartels, or super heavy Head Monsters. Those don’t get nearly as hung up for some reason.

You'd be blown away what a spring structure does on wet snow. You feeling like you're going to go over the bars has zero to do with you being out of shape or having issues skiing those conditions: it's the base. Problem is, wax structure only lasts what? A run? Two? And deep base structure only pays off in spring slop.

Know what you should do? After seeing your stupid off the chain quiver of madness, you should put a spring structure only on those Kartel 116's and designate those your hot pow sticks (since you already love them so much in said conditions). A deep base structure on any ski makes it night and day compared to your run of the mill factory tune or cold snow tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    That grip walk shit is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by FlimFlamvanHam View Post
    You'd be blown away what a spring structure does on wet snow. You feeling like you're going to go over the bars has zero to do with you being out of shape or having issues skiing those conditions: it's the base. Problem is, wax structure only lasts what? A run? Two? And deep base structure only pays off in spring slop.

Know what you should do? After seeing your stupid off the chain quiver of madness, you should put a spring structure only on those Kartel 116's and designate those your hot pow sticks (since you already love them so much in said conditions). A deep base structure on any ski makes it night and day compared to your run of the mill factory tune or cold snow tune.
    Yeah, that's a more direct version of exactly what I was trying to say.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

ON3P SKIS Discussion

I know mang. I just wanted to post something.

And to add, wax makes little difference. Deep structure is only saviour against the suction of spring glop.

Even as a Canadian I've always really dug the "graphic" that is the American flag. That SG topsheet is awesome. A CDN version would be cool.

I let the rocks create a deep structure on my bases.

I know mang. I just wanted to post something.

And to add, wax makes little difference. Deep structure is only saviour against the suction of spring glop.
    I was trying to say that I was too polite and you did a better job saying it.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 04-28-2018 at 12:05 PM.

photos

I use a XC riller to cut deep spring grooves into the spring sticks. Then, base grind in the fall to get ready for the year. I was able to go to the end of bookends at the bird today without polling. It’s incredible

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Do they make one wide enough for fat skis or do you just do half the ski then move it over? I don't Cross Country Ski so it might be cheaper just for me to dedicate a pair of skis to the spring and get a spring grind on them. As opposed to buying the tool.

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app

Recommend me a ski. I think I want wren 108s, I'm not positive about touring core or veneer.

Going to mount with Tectons/Switches(if I can find them). I'm leaning towards the Wren 108, but ...

1. Does veneer save weight like with Praxis?

2. How much am I going to give up on hard/refrozen/sketchy snow if I go touring core/etc?

I've demoed some older Wren 108s, but at Timberline (it's flat). They felt bulletproof but easy, even though I skied short skis for my fat ass (184s). I've skied 186 Kartel 106s probably 20-25 days, I liked them, but found myself wanting to be able to drive them a bit more (thus wrens), the tips seemed a touch too soft (sounds like this has been changed in newest year), and I didn't feel confident on really weird snow.

These skis will go to Argentina in august (my other erryday 110ish skis are either too heavy, or can't handle fucked snow). A bit of touring, a bit more inbounds.

What am I missing? Note: I'm fat, I'm tall (6'2", 220), I'm strong, I'm a bad skier. I drive the tips, I don't turn much, I don't do tricks, I do drop small things (10-15').

If you're fat and shitty I don't see a problem with the 189's. They really do ski short: this is good as far as I'm concerned. All I'm saying is, my idea of skiing short means they have significant tip rocker and decent depth of tail rocker so can pivot them very easily in 3D snow for such a heavy, directional ski.

However, they can absolutely straightline the shit out of shit at Mach speeds if you are up to it.

The only caveat with the W108's (again IMO) is the big turn radius so when you're not in 3D snow going fast is only way they are fun. Mellow and turny is not what they are. Although can be skied somewhat mellow the deeper the snow.

Btw, I believe the '19, aside from a slight tweak to the side cut and slightly stiffer, have had the recommended mount moved back. So now you can drive the tips that much more.

I cannot comment on the veneer part.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    Recommend me a ski. I think I want wren 108s
    I’m the same size as you. I don’t think tour core gives up any firm snow performance, as long as it isnt refrozen coral or crud and/or bumped out resort firm. I think tour core is great on firm, it seems like you can bend it into a cleaner carve easier. The only place you lose performance is when skiing uneven resort crud and chop, whether firm or soft. When compared to standard core. I cant see any issues from tour core occuring the BC, but I’ve only been out in the backcountry maybe 50 times in my entire life and am kind of a newb. Compared to all the modern lightweight big brand 50/50 skis, tour core is the pretty much the same weight and just as stable, but still has that signature On3p feel. 189 steeple 102s are ever so slightly heavier/stiffer than 189 praxis Rx enduro #4..

As far as model goes, I like both the Wren 108 and Kartel 108, equally as much in firm and soft. I was afraid that the 2018 K108s wouldn’t be any better in firm than K116s/J114s, but to my surprise, the K108s work very well on firm, no detuning necessary. I had to detune the K116s a crap ton, before I could even think about skiing them on firm. TBH, I prefer billy goats on firm or ice, versus K116/J114. Others probably disagree with me on that front though.. I find the taper points on K116/J114 to be “catchy”, until I detune the crap out of them, then I can release them on ice when I drive them. ONLY on very firm snow. 114 and 116 arent for firm though, so really a moot point..they work great in the soft stuff. I really enjoy the K116s.

K108s rip firm, one of the best On3ps I’ve ever tried. Up there with the Tychoon. Maybe better than W108s and viciks too...Wrens definitely want to ski straight, whereas Kartels definitely want to turn. K108 is turnier and quicker than K116, and much more turny than W108, for sure. For me, k108 will only ski straight when bases are flat, not on edge, but I’m also 215lbs on the 186. 191 probably more driveable on edge. K116s ski a little more straight. But as an all mtn jib ski, I must say the 186 k108 is perfect, and still has a backbone for straight lining bases flat. I ran into a huge pile of some sloppy spring crap today, probably 40mph, and the kartel 108 ate it for breakfast. I was afraid I was going to launch over the handlebars, but no, it was perfectly fine.. k108 just shrugged it off.

Wrens are directional chargers. When you know, you know..

Great skis, just different styles. I only have 2 days each on k108s and W108s though.. the new wrens can get a little looser and more fun than the old ones, but they still charge hard.

Last edited by Betelgeuse; 04-28-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Wrens are directional chargers. When you know, you know.
    yeah, i think that’s kinda my jam. spent much of this season on head monsters. my dd the last few (6) years has been the bg 191s, which are a bit more centered, but i don’t mind driving.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by theetruscan View Post
    yeah, i think that’s kinda my jam. spent much of this season on head monsters. my dd the last few (6) years has been the bg 191s, which are a bit more centered, but i don’t mind driving.
    I wouldn’t even hesitate. Wren 108 all the way. That might be my new favorite ski. Tied with Praxis Rx, but they are different.. Gonna ski it tomorrow to double check.

oh yeah, it’s just about veneer and tour core.