Page 14 of 599 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

2016/2017 - ON3P SKIS Thread (Finally)

It really depends on your ability, but I think your weight will definitely make the wren 102 more playful.. As long as your an advanced skier, you shouldn't have an issue.

I'm 6'3", 210lbs, and I can drive the Vicik in tight spots no problem. I mess around on them a lot, and they are very maneuverable for the amount of stability they offer. Personally I only use my viciks for groomer zooming and firm days skiing chutes and trees/bumps, whereas other lighter skiers use them as big mtn skis.. We weigh more than most skiers, so we will have a different experiences on burlier skis than say someone 160lbs or under.

The wren 102 would be slightly easier to ski than the Vicik, due to width, but still have the backbone youre looking for, and they are very similar. At our weight, these are not straight line skis. They are soft enough to be bent into a quick turn, even late in the day when you're legs are noodles. They are great skis, buy them before they are gone. Do what you gotta do to pay the extra $100 it will cost to get them new, you won't regret it.

Would you rather buy my viciks? Because I'll use the money towards a set of wrens!

Is there a difference between the '14-15 Wren 102s or the '15-'16? The eagle graphics vs the lion?

If there is, it's probably so negligible, it's a non issue..

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    They're beautiful skis but unfortunately not what I'm looking for (Kartels or 102 Wrens).

While I think the Kartels would be the best for me, I'm more than interested in the Wren 102 and can find them easier. Can someone comment on how they ski in trees, tight spaces and tricky terrain? Do you have to be on top of them all the time or do they work well at slower speeds in hard terrain?

For reference, I'm 6'-4", 220 and currently ski on 4Frnt turbos. My biggest fear is that the Wrens are not playful enough and want to simply straight line. Although, at 23 radius, it seems like they could be? My Turbos are 28m so this would maybe be better?
    Turbos are super easy to ski compared to any Wren I've been on. But at 220#, I imagine you'd be fine. I ride a pair of OG 191 as well as the last "regular" model in a 191. Skis do not feel big by any means. I'm 185#, if that helps.

I used to have a pair of VCTs and have been on the Turbo. This are fun skis but have a much lower speed limit than Wren. Easier to bend.

Wrens don't really like to go slow, but I've found they ski fine at slower speeds. Just a big sluggish and more work.

The wren 102 is a lot easier to ski than other wrens, more along the lines of tychoons or viciks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Turbos are super easy to ski compared to any Wren I've been on. But at 220#, I imagine you'd be fine. I ride a pair of OG 191 as well as the last "regular" model in a 191. Skis do not feel big by any means. I'm 185#, if that helps.

I used to have a pair of VCTs and have been on the Turbo. This are fun skis but have a much lower speed limit than Wren. Easier to bend.

Wrens don't really like to go slow, but I've found they ski fine at slower speeds. Just a big sluggish and more work.
    The Turbos have a 28m radius, so was hoping the 23.6m radius of the Wren 102 would ski more solid but just as easy at slow speeds. I don't want something that's harder or sluggish to ski, especially in trees, at cautious speeds
    Your description has me worried...

^^^^Kartel it is!

^^^ that's what my gut says...just need to find them used. Can't afford new right now.

^^^ that's what my gut says...just need to find them used. Can't afford new right now.
    What's your price max?

kj

nice

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Hey Scott, I really want a Billy Goat, but in a 187, and 110mm underfoot, and 1mm more camber, but 2mm less tail rocker, and a layup halfway between the tour and standard, and weighs 7lb per pair, and I want it to tickle my nuts when I turn left. You should totally add that to your catalog.
    DONE
    You should have been here yesterday!

Is there a difference between the '14-15 Wren 102s or the '15-'16? The eagle graphics vs the lion?
    No, exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    The wren 102 is a lot easier to ski than other wrens, more along the lines of tychoons or viciks.
    This is true. The Wren 102 was really a nice and easy, toned down version of the 112. It had one sheet of carbon compared to two in the 112, the sidecut was tighter than the 112, and the flex was softer (obviously not a noodle, but not like the 112 or old 113).

The new wrens (88,98,108) are all real Wrens in flex, but easier to ski due to the taper and rocker changes we made...and all double carbon.

The Turbos have a 28m radius, so was hoping the 23.6m radius of the Wren 102 would ski more solid but just as easy at slow speeds. I don't want something that's harder or sluggish to ski, especially in trees, at cautious speeds
    Your description has me worried...
    The description only applies to the Wren 112/113. The 102 was much easier to ski and probably the best bump ski we ever made...seriously.

What's the mount points on the new wrens?

SnowShow...I replied to your PM. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Everybody seems to love the Wren, but there's no videos of anybody skiing them. Really?

I'd love to see some good footage of proper Wren charging.

Reading this thread a few too many times, and asking stupid questions here and there, I've come to the conclusion that Wren 98 + Steeple 108 would be a very decent quiver for my NZ needs. (Plus Protests for Japan and good days at home).

They type of skier who gets a wren doesn't use a go pro

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    They type of skier who gets a wren doesn't use a go pro
    LOL, quote of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Everybody seems to love the Wren, but there's no videos of anybody skiing them. Really?
    Keep in mind this is several inches of dust on top of some pretty firm crust (if there wasn't music you'd hear a lot more scraping), so I don't consider this "charging" by any means. And I'm sure a better skier could get way more out of the Wren 112's, but they seem to work for me.

And this is from the end of the season before last with 8 inches of fresh on top of... rocks, basically. Shows some different conditions over the course of the morning.

Post up your vid of the baby billy

Post up your vid of the baby billy
    This is my first three laps on them, just getting a feel, nothing too exciting. Calling this "powder" is a bit generous considering it was almost 40 degrees by 9am. Looking forward to using them in some better snow this season.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post

I'd love to see some good footage of proper Wren charging.

Reading this thread a few too many times, and asking stupid questions here and there, I've come to the conclusion that Wren 98 + Steeple 108 would be a very decent quiver for my NZ needs. (Plus Protests for Japan and good days at home).

Keep in mind there are several new models in the wren series this year. The wren 98 and 88 are completely new for this year so people haven't had a chance to ski them yet. These two ski are going to crush it on the east coast because of their design/flex. The wren 98 also has the potential to be skied out west and in my personal opinion is one of the more versatile offerings On3p has.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    This is my first three laps on them, just getting a feel, nothing too exciting. Calling this "powder" is a bit generous considering it was almost 40 degrees by 9am. Looking forward to using them in some better snow this season.
    Are there more people with ON3Ps on the chairlift with you at the beginning?

Are there more people with ON3Ps on the chairlift with you at the beginning?
    Yep. But not someone I knew. I definitely noticed a lot more ON3P skis around Tahoe this past season, especially at Squawlpine.