Page 12 of 599 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    I've skied a number of pow skis, and IME the BG floats up there with the best of them. At 5'11" and 160-165#, the 191 BG is all the float I need. I switched off between the 202 L138 and the 191 BG on a day with 39" overnight and 72" in 24 hr, and, at speed, both worked just fine for me. Sure, the L138 does better at "breaking trail" on low-angle stuff, but the trade off is that it has so much float underfoot that it can actually make landings feel a bit harder than the BG.

If I were larger, the 202 L138 would be my big-day pow ski for sure, and I encourage all you big guys to give it a shot.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

2016/2017 - ON3P SKIS Thread (Finally)

The more I think of it, I felt what I described above mainly when skiing heavenly, my home mountain, where I get most of my days in.. There are only a few spots with decent fall line, and the BG just needs speed. I do have one day at kirkwood, and vaguely remember them being much floatier with the fall line. But 10 days with them at Heavenly, which just isn't the BGs cup of tea, is the majority of my memory.

What I should have said, is that there are floatier skis for skiing at moderate speeds, in very deep untracked, on a moderate pitch... Heavenly sucks, thank god I got my squaw pass this year.

Still, the 193 C&D will be a nice addition for uber deep days.
    Last edited by aevergreene; 09-13-2016 at 11:39 AM.

The 191 Billy is one of my all time favorite POW skis along with my 196 Renegades and floats my 6'4" ass with no issues... However, I will admit I am stoked to be getting my 191 116 Kartels and 189 98 Wrens which are suppose to be at my shop in a couple of weeks... Let the countdown begin...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    The 191 Billy is one of my all time favorite POW skis along with my 196 Renegades and floats my 6'4" ass with no issues... However, I will admit I am stoked to be getting my 191 116 Kartels and 189 98 Wrens which are suppose to be at my shop in a couple of weeks... Let the countdown begin...
    Kartels are super fun.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Kartels are super fun.
    Read what you and POW had to say about them and am so stoked... I grew up loving traditional skis and once I tried a pair of rocker, camber, rocker skis with a more centerish/forward mount I have been hooked... So fun and versatile and will still get after it...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Read what you and POW had to say about them and am so stoked... I grew up loving traditional skis and once I tried a pair of rocker, camber, rocker skis with a more centerish/forward mount I have been hooked... So fun and versatile and will still get after it...
    Congrats. The K116 is so dreamy in the soft stuff.

Wren 98 in a 189 should be a ripper, too.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    My BGs have been my workhorse this season in NZ. I've skied heaps of long alpine lines. Pow, wind effect, creamy, some very mellow terrain, some corn, some crusts, even crossed some tracks. It is ski worth skiing, and a keeper. I'm yet to ski them in deep pow and trees, and unfortunately probably won't unless I get a custom tour version as my Japan workhorse. But before that, I'll research a 98 or 108 Steeple in standard layup, or a 98 Wren, for my narrow NZ workhorse to compliment the BG.

There they are...

You have done well. Congratulations on a fine NZ season.

I came back yesterday from 3 days of hard and fast skiing at Craigieburn realising that I could do with a 98 Wren. Are you likely to get your hands on a pair before you leave NZ? If you do, please let us know how you go - and if they evade NZ Customs...

Hey IB, no chance of me getting any before leaving NZ. Here for another month. Who knows if I will get them in the end - I'm very price sensitive - and there is no shortage of very good deals on very good skis out there. But the BG success does motivate me to look more at on3p, and I like their custom options.
    Life is not lift served.

Hey IB, no chance of me getting any before leaving NZ. Here for another month. Who knows if I will get them in the end - I'm very price sensitive - and there is no shortage of very good deals on very good skis out there. But the BG success does motivate me to look more at on3p, and I like their custom options.
    Me too (price sensitive, that is). I would like a 100'ish charger, built strong enough to handle NZ, and from a company I can relate to.

Have always been keen to try the Wren, and the 98 sounds superb. Scott and co sound like good people, and you even get free shipping to NZ, but 15% GST and a NZ$100 extra slap for "handling/transaction" from NZ Customs hurt.

How have your BGs stood up to the abuse? Any shark encounters in the heli backcountry?

Suck up the customs charge. Fact of life. No one owes anyone anything. Unfair Universe. etc By comparison, shipping to Japan from the US is usually $100, with no customs charge. So if they ship international for free, get them shipped to JP and pick them up there this season. Unmounted skis pack nice and easy, so you'd be able to take them back to NZ without extra baggage.

Durability: I collected a few rocks in lower slower areas, but nothing savage by luck, could have hit way more. Saw some other skis get really hurt. I'd say for the hits I took, they are plenty durable.
    Life is not lift served.

Hands down the most durable skis I've been on. I've had 4 pairs and yet to have a single core shot, whereas Squaw / Alpine have done a number on various Blizzards, Volkls, Salomons, etc that I've skied.

Happy to pay a little more knowing the odds of paying for repair work and stone grinds goes way down.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I agree on durability of my BG. Rode rocks at mammoth that have destroyed other skis and only small scratches.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I blasted a shark on my steeple 112s last year, and flew out of my bindings. I was positive there would be a core shot, but when I looked there was nothing.. Also my 2014 Viciks have over 40 days on them, and they look like my brand new k2s that haven't been skied yet, but have just been bumped around in storage.. Tiny base scratches, and tiny top sheet scuffs.

However, I wish On3p would put those cool textured top sheets on all their skis, but that is the last thing on my mind when buying a ski. They have done limited runs of this, I hope it becomes standard in the near future.

Suck up the customs charge. Fact of life. No one owes anyone anything. Unfair Universe. etc By comparison, shipping to Japan from the US is usually $100, with no customs charge. So if they ship international for free, get them shipped to JP and pick them up there this season. Unmounted skis pack nice and easy, so you'd be able to take them back to NZ without extra baggage.

Durability: I collected a few rocks in lower slower areas, but nothing savage by luck, could have hit way more. Saw some other skis get really hurt. I'd say for the hits I took, they are plenty durable.
    Spoken like a true scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post

However, I wish On3p would put those cool textured top sheets on all their skis, but that is the last thing on my mind when buying a ski. They have done limited runs of this, I hope it becomes standard in the near future.
    Not sure the direction we will settle on, but I will vouch for the fact that the new bevel that the factory boys have been doing since mid-last season is BOMBER when compared to our old methods. Top sheet edge chips have been drastically cut down.

Same here (base durability). I've caught a shark with my Goats so hard that I thought I sprained my ankle. Barely any evidence of the "hit". ON3Ps are bomber in this regard.

Now, if there were an edge this durable ... although you likely wouldn't be able to sharpen it ;-)

...Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Edges made from Captain Americas shield..

Vibranium or whatever

Dub post for older model stoke

Those older BGs are much more rockered than mine. What's to the left of them?
    Life is not lift served.

I think you are seeing the CD rocker as the skis are in different order in that second shot

I think we have the same BGs.. I have 2015s

Ya I switched it up because I opened that door the viciks are sitting on in the first pic. In the rocker profile pic, order from left to right is

2016 189 steeple 102
    2015 191 Billy Goat
    2016 193 C&D
    2014 186 Vicik

Quote Originally Posted by aevergreene View Post
    I think we have the same BGs.. I have 2015s

Ya I switched it up because I opened that door the viciks are sitting on in the first pic. In the rocker profile pic, order from left to right is

2016 189 steeple 102
    2015 191 Billy Goat
    2016 193 C&D
    2014 186 Vicik
    Yep, I think he just thought your CD's in the second pic were the BG's. The mold hasn't changed

Also, Aevergreene...Scott or I will email you about your other question you sent in regarding those Steeples. Expect something by tomorrow.

101 of posting quiver pics is maintaining the same order for topsheet and rocker shots. Fucker.

I maybe have 2015 BGs? But with topo top sheet.

The RES really shows up on the Steeples. Pity it doesn't come in 102 any more.
    Life is not lift served.

Whoops!

So is Seth getting on your sticks or what?