Page 102 of 594 FirstFirst ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 14839
    I had the 189 98s last year and let them go after a few days. Really good ski, floats great, but didnt have the backbone I was looking as In a ski taking the hard snow spot in my quiver.
    I think I would have been much happier on the 108.

I also dont know if adding more carbon would give them enough beef.

Wren 98's aren't that stiff which is why a ski that narrow is actually quite good in powder. So they're versatile, do a little of everything - the way I think a 98mm ski should.

(checking in at 170-180 pounds, btw)

Maybe Jay or Scott can confirm, but I assume the Wren stiffness goes: 88 > 108 > 98 ... correct?

Hmm some good perspective. Have W108's in 184 and love them. Wanted to originally buy 189 W108 for some added length (maybe even stiffen) to bring it on shallow snow days and day after storms. BG for deeper snow. Somehow I just jumped to buying 98.. probably due to positive remarks

Thinking now, can justify using W108 184 teaching my kid to ski and 189 for bombing with bros.
    Have a solid carver at 95 for hard snow already.

WWMD?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post

Maybe Jay or Scott can confirm, but I assume the Wren stiffness goes: 88 > 108 > 98 ... correct?
    Absolutely correct.

The 98 isn’t a noodle and it is stiffer than the old 102, but it’s softer on purpose than both the 88 and 108 to make it a good quiver of one for people just looking to do it all on one pair of skis.
    You should have been here yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I had the 189 98s last year and let them go after a few days. Really good ski, floats great, but didnt have the backbone I was looking as In a ski taking the hard snow spot in my quiver.
    I think I would have been much happier on the 108.

I also dont know if adding more carbon would give them enough beef.
    We can make the 98 in a very similar stiffness to the 108 in our custom section on the site if someone desires. Extra carbon does impact the ski a lot more than you would imagine.

The 108 does have more beef to it just due to the physical width and extra material that comes with that, but that 98 can be made stiffer NO DOUBT.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Ordered some custom wren 98's 189 in stock flex the other day. Questioning if I should've gone stiffer..

Powtron or any others out there with some experience on stiffer layups in 98 or any mags who went stock wanting more beef?
    >>Aggressive skier in PNW and weigh around 190. Thanks
    If you want them to feel the same as your 108’s stiffness wise we should add some extra carbon for you.

I’ve skied all three Wrens extensively and also some stiffer versions of both the 108 and 98 and you can absolutely feel the difference.

The one thing I would caution on is what has already been stated here in that if you want the 98 to be a little more floaty I wouldn’t go too stiff.

The 88 is STIFF. Like...legit STIFF. And it rails and destroys crud and floats well for its width, but it’s most at home on harder and junk snow due to full width carbon.

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Maybe someone can offer some insight. I've read this entire thread in the past two days.

I placed an order for two custom build on White Wednesday. Stock layup Kartel 108 186 and Wrenegade 98 184 with different top sheets.

I'm trying to get to a two ski quiver that works well on my east coast home mountain and I can bring on trips to Jackson/Crested Butte/Alta.

I like tight technical terrain and riding my edges at high speed on groomers/chop back to the lift. Think Thunder chair at Jackson.

I went with the Wren98 because the turn radius appealed to me. But I'm now thinking the Wren108 in a 184 would be more suitable. Then I could rip the Kartel 108 back east with its tighter radius or on days when my legs are shot during trips.

I'm open to length and custom flex recommendations too.

Skis I've recently owned:

186 Bibby (the jibber version) - I liked this ski but a prefer more edge hold in the tail and a little less width. The reason I like the Kartel 108.

186 Governor - tail was too stiff and difficult to maneuver in tight spaces but an awesome carver.

194 Devastator - stable, liked how they pivoted but could only make one turn shape on groomers. Way to heavy for a bell to bell ski.

183 Tst - Loved this ski on the east for a few seasons, but I outgrew its length and want something way more stable. I took them on a trip to Jackson and they did nothing but fold on me the entire time.

186 El Capo - liked the length and concept but the flex pattern was terrible as the reviews have mentioned. I folded the tips while charging crud a few times and went down hard.

I know I sound hard to please but I'm sick of buying skis on sale and not being happy. I'm confident ON3P is what I've been missing but having a hard time deciding. Every ski in the lineup is giving me needs.

Some stoke:

Jay, you have me worried now about my 98 Wren... I didn't realise it was the softest. ichargehard.com and I got the 98 with the intention as a daily driver especially the start of the season, hardpack groomers and spring time. The 108 Wren being the daily driver in the middle of the season and the steeple filling a very specific requirement in an area I like to ski when its puking. Will I hit a speedlimit on the 98 as standard?

I wouldn't worry about it. The problem isn't that the Wren 98s are soft. They aren't. I'm 185 lb. The problem is that there are stiffer Wrens out there. Get that out of your head, and you'll be totally fine.

Gman is online now Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Maybe someone can offer some insight. I've read this entire thread in the past two days.

I placed an order for two custom build on White Wednesday. Stock layup Kartel 108 186 and Wrenegade 98 184 with different top sheets.

I'm trying to get to a two ski quiver that works well on my east coast home mountain and I can bring on trips to Jackson/Crested Butte/Alta.

I like tight technical terrain and riding my edges at high speed on groomers/chop back to the lift. Think Thunder chair at Jackson.

I went with the Wren98 because the turn radius appealed to me. But I'm now thinking the Wren108 in a 184 would be more suitable. Then I could rip the Kartel 108 back east with its tighter radius or on days when my legs are shot during trips.

I'm open to length and custom flex recommendations too.

Skis I've recently owned:

186 Bibby (the jibber version) - I liked this ski but a prefer more edge hold in the tail and a little less width. The reason I like the Kartel 108.

186 Governor - tail was too stiff and difficult to maneuver in tight spaces but an awesome carver.

194 Devastator - stable, liked how they pivoted but could only make one turn shape on groomers. Way to heavy for a bell to bell ski.

183 Tst - Loved this ski on the east for a few seasons, but I outgrew its length and want something way more stable. I took them on a trip to Jackson and they did nothing but fold on me the entire time.

186 El Capo - liked the length and concept but the flex pattern was terrible as the reviews have mentioned. I folded the tips while charging crud a few times and went down hard.

I know I sound hard to please but I'm sick of buying skis on sale and not being happy. I'm confident ON3P is what I've been missing but having a hard time deciding. Every ski in the lineup is giving me needs.

Some stoke:

I think you’ll be fine with a wren 98/kartel 108 combo. I used a kartel 108 for 90% of my spring trip to Alta this past spring and it was perfect. I’d fine the wren 108 a little too wide for those drier/icey days we get on the east coast. Also, one of ON3P’s Ambassadors rocks a kartel 108 for his do it all setup at Stowe and he loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aus George View Post
    Jay, you have me worried now about my 98 Wren... I didn't realise it was the softest. ichargehard.com and I got the 98 with the intention as a daily driver especially the start of the season, hardpack groomers and spring time. The 108 Wren being the daily driver in the middle of the season and the steeple filling a very specific requirement in an area I like to ski when its puking. Will I hit a speedlimit on the 98 as standard?
    They do have a speed limit but it's pretty fast and it's completely worth the versatility if you end up in softer snow. I have the 98 and 108 and it's nice that they're a little different.

Yummy Silverton pictures!

Sounds like you'll be fine with that quiver of two. In a perfect world I'd have the Wren 98 for the daily inbounds driver for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. The problem isn't that the Wren 98s are soft. They aren't. I'm 185 lb. The problem is that there are stiffer Wrens out there. Get that out of your head, and you'll be totally fine.
    This is also 100% correct.

George, the 98 is not a soft ski at all. It’s just not insanely stiff is what I was getting at

SuperGoats and Wren 112's

Super pumped on getting my SuperGoats. I went with Gunmetal w/ green sidewalls and full Aever flex. Also pumped to try the Wren 112's that I picked up for a steal from Wilderness Exchange today. Price was to good to turn down to try a bucket list ski!

Tempting about these Black Friday deals. I've been thinking of mixing up and thinning down my quiver this last year.

Current inbounds:
    Moment Tahoe 186
    ON3P Vicik 186 - these were the 104mm-waisted versions. Currently see the most time. [Selling these?]
    Dynastar LP XXL 186 - These were my post-storm crud slaughtering weapons when I liven in Bozeman. I've rarely skied them the last two seasons in the PNWet. [Selling these]
    Salomon Rocker2 108 in a 190cm length. In actuality, these are 111mm waisted skis. Maybe the first year of that ski? [Likely could sell]
    Moment Bibby 190
    4FRNT Renegade Raven 2.0 in a 196 [Selling these]
    4FRNT Renegade Owl in a 196

(Does this make me a hoarder? )
    So my questions are; do I sell the Legend Pros, the Rocker 2s and the Vicks for the Wren 108? How is the Wren in new, only-a-few-inches, soft snow? The Rocker2 was my light new snow day ski. Can the Wren 108 fill that need of a super quick, easy to ski, fun pair?

Me? A technically proficient, expert skier, having raced in high school. Multiple Gordy Camp attendee. 6'0", 185 pounds, strong, ripping skier. I don't charge nearly as much. A shattered femur keeps things in check, though I still yell out, "hold my dick!" Current stomping grounds are Mt. Hood and Mt. Bachelor, with regular trips to Crystal, Baker and Stevens. Even the occasional Big Sky/Bridger haunts and Jackson/Wasatch for giggles.

What say ye, maggots?
    Last edited by Bobcat Sig; 11-26-2017 at 02:41 PM.

*sigh of relief*

You will have to forgive my concern, am coming off the 2014 Moment Belafonte and as some of you are probably aware, a super stiff ski. Great in chop/crud but not versatile enough for 80% of the conditions I'm in. I wanted something softer, but not other end of the spectrum kind of soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Tempting about these Black Friday deals. I've been thinking of mixing up and thinning down my quiver this last year.

Current inbounds:
    Moment Tahoe 186
    ON3P Vicik 186 - these were the 104mm-waisted versions. Currently see the most time. [Selling these?]
    Dynastar LP XXL 186 - These were my post-storm crud slaughtering weapons when I liven in Bozeman. I've rarely skied them the last two seasons in the PNWet. [Selling these]
    Salomon Rocker2 108 in a 190cm length. In actuality, these are 111mm waisted skis. Maybe the first year of that ski? [Likely could sell]
    Moment Bibby 190
    4FRNT Renegade Raven 2.0 in a 196 [Selling these]
    4FRNT Renegade Owl in a 196

(Does this make me a hoarder? )
    So my questions are; do I sell the Legend Pros, the Rocker 2s and the Vicks for the Wren 108? How is the Wren in new, only-a-few-inches, soft snow? The Rocker2 was my light new snow day ski. Can the Wren 108 fill that need of a super quick, easy to ski, fun pair?

Me? A technically proficient, expert skier, having raced in high school. Multiple Gordy Camp attendee. 6'0", 185 pounds, strong, ripping skier. I don't charge nearly as much. A shattered femur keeps things in check. Current stomping grounds are Mt. Hood and Mt. Bachelor, with regular trips to Crystal, Baker and Stevens. Even the occasional Big Sky/Bridger haunts and Jackson/Wasatch for giggles.

What say ye, maggots?
    If some planks is what ye seek, demo if yarr in the Hood!

Quote Originally Posted by Aus George View Post
    If some planks is what ye seek, demo if yarr in the Hood!
    Well yes, that's the easy answer. This is TGR where we endless discuss (and drool) over the appropriate skis.

"hold my dick!"

What say ye, maggots?
    PM Rontel.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

We hit our custom allocation for the weekend sale Saturday, so we have extended to allow another 10 spots for Cyber Monday.

$100 Customs and Free Hoodie is still active. Also the two skis, one binding (or discounted upgrade) is also still active until Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    We hit our custom allocation for the weekend sale Saturday, so we have extended to allow another 10 spots for Cyber Monday.

$100 Customs and Free Hoodie is still active. Also the two skis, one binding (or discounted upgrade) is also still active until Monday night.
    This pleases me, greatly.

@PowTron; maybe you can add some insight here. As I posted above, I'm contemplating thinning the quiver. Could a Wren 108 realistically replace the charging nature of a Legend Pro XXL, the daily driver duty of a 104mm-wasited Vicik, and the playful nature of a Salomon Rocker2 108?

(For reference, I skied the Wren 113 for a number of years in Bozeman when I gave no fucks and wanted to ski angry on Lone Peak or Bridger. I sold them when I moved back to the PNWet. In a 191, it was too much ski out here.)

@PowTron; maybe you can add some insight here. As I posted above, I'm contemplating thinning the quiver. Could a Wren 108 realistically replace the charging nature of a Legend Pro XXL, the daily driver duty of a 104mm-wasited Vicik, and the playful nature of a Salomon Rocker2 108?

(For reference, I skied the Wren 113 for a number of years in Bozeman when I gave no fucks and wanted to ski angry on Lone Peak or Bridger. I sold them when I moved back to the PNWet. In a 191, it was too much ski out here.)
    I'd say it could replace the first two for sure, although the new tail rocker profile makes the ski a bit looser in the tail than an XXL or Vicik. As for the Rocker2... I only skied one or two runs on a pair and recall them being about the same flex as a wet noodle. I don't think any Wren would be as easy and playful as those, but they'd be a better ski in almost every way.
    The Wren 108 is definitely much easier going than the old Wren 113, especially in 184 vs 191.

Adrenalated hit it pretty spot on with his post above. You will notice the new Wren a little looser in the tail vs your old Wren 113...but it sounds like that may not be a bad thing based on now being in the PNW and giving a few more fucks than earlier in life

Trigger pulled on 189 Wren 98- thanks to PowTron for some behind the scenes logistical help! Top notch customer service- love the buying experience with independents.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I'd say it could replace the first two for sure, although the new tail rocker profile makes the ski a bit looser in the tail than an XXL or Vicik. As for the Rocker2... I only skied one or two runs on a pair and recall them being about the same flex as a wet noodle. I don't think any Wren would be as easy and playful as those, but they'd be a better ski in almost every way.
    The Wren 108 is definitely much easier going than the old Wren 113, especially in 184 vs 191.
    Heh, correct. The R2 108 is a few things; stiff is not one of them. For what they give up in charging, they are incredibly easy to ski. And that, makes them a nice choice when I'm beat up and tired. The flipside is that they are downright awful in anything hard, chunky or refrozen crud. It's a soft snow only ski. I'm thinking the Wren 108 fixes that.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Adrenalated hit it pretty spot on with his post above. You will notice the new Wren a little looser in the tail vs your old Wren 113...but it sounds like that may not be a bad thing based on now being in the PNW and giving a few more fucks than earlier in life
    Indeed. I'm guessing for a 6'0" 185 lb. frame that the 189 is the play for the Wren 108, yah?