Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Keep us advised re how the Ion works for you. Which model did you get?
    The Ion 12. Setup will be getting a good test this weeknd. Dust on top of shit fuck conditions. Will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    The Ion 12. Setup will be getting a good test this weeknd. Dust on top of shit fuck conditions. Will report back.
    Really interested to know how the ion compares to the vipec.

Well based on total shiny factor and color I got ions. Will test on huscaran
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

How many people have had problems with the newer version 1 rads? I've got the ones not included in the recall, but am still somewhat sketched out by them.

I know 3 small people myself included
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Yeah, you remove the brakes. Saves 50g per on the Raider 14. Its a speed replacement. Or keep the brakes for clicking in (they work for that).
    Isn't that what breaks are for? I just put some back on my vertical/Kusala combo. One too many slick ridge lines were I spent too much energy agonizing over my skis not slipping off the edge. With breaks they stay right where I put them to get them on. I'll carry that 50g. On narrower or cambered skis I don't have this problem, but wide rocketed skis seem to just want to move all over the place.

Any feedback on using the Dynafit Radical 2 toe piece (either ST or FT since they both have toe rotation and lateral release) with Kingpin heel piece? Would that even work?
    Last edited by Dkla52; 02-17-2016 at 11:29 AM.

I see no reason that it would not work and not be awesome. The rotating Dynafit rotating toe is money, based on my on-snow release testing on groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by critical-motion View Post
    I see no reason that it would not work and not be awesome. The rotating Dynafit rotating toe is money, based on my on-snow release testing on groomers.
    Right? This way You get the best of both of them in one binding.. From what I'm seeing, kingpins slight weakness is in the toe piece but the heel piece really holds its ground and shines in downhill. So this way you could have one bad ass setup

Lightweight tech binding for aggressive skiing: FT 2.0 v. Kingpin v. Ion v. V...

Groomers? Lolz. The real test is when you auger a tip at an angle or similar. From my testing they won't release in that situation (only the Vipec and alpine bindings will), and you'll end up with a tib/fib or ankle sprain.

If all you care about is avoiding pre-release in firm snow, there's a ton of (much) lighter tech bindings that don't have this problem. The real problem here is the low clamping force on Dynafit 1.0s (or icing issues). Put a Dynafit and another binding in ski mode, with your heel NOT engaged, then twist. Notice how weak the Dynafit is compared to the other one? There's the real problem.

some of you might find this of interest - combining vipec and kingpin bindings

https://www.wildsnow.com/19548/combi...gpin-bindings/

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    some of you might find this of interest - combining vipec and kingpin bindings

https://www.wildsnow.com/19548/combi...gpin-bindings/
    Very interesting. I might still do the experiment of dynKing

I've got time skinning and skiing in a variety of conditions with Kingpins and Beast 16's now. Kingpin is a damn good product. It feels slightly less damp than an alpine binding but just as powerful. Walk mode and changeovers have been very smooth.

Beats 16 feels like an alpine binding. They ski and skin better than Dukes for sure. Non flat walk mode actually isn't so bad (it's lower than the middle position on your average pair of tech bindings) until snow builds up in and on top of the heel lifter. Lots of moving parts but no other problems yet.

My take is that Kingpins are a potential replacement for traditional tech bindings unless you're covering a lot of ground. I will continue to use Plums and Speed Radicals because of the weight. But Kingpins are an undoubted improvement in retention and power transmission, as well as easy to use.

Beasts are big. They're a replacement for alpine bindings for someone who only occasionally rides lifts and wants a very sturdy touring/sidecountry setup as well. I skinned two 700 meter laps with Beasts on 186 Lhasas today and the second one would have been more fun on lighter gear. Kingpins would have saved me some energy. And 1300 gram skis with Plums would have saved me a lot.

I see about a million reasons it wouldnt work. But it may. I would think that the very different releases are not designed to work together.

After looking more into it, this configuration could have a lot of releases. Dynafit radical uses the heel piece to keep the boots centered. Kingpin uses the toe piece to keep the boot centered (it does not rotate). So if we take out each of the mechanisms in place to serve that function then neither one (kingpin heel nor dynafit tie) will keep the boot centered and thus it could have a lot of releases

Quote Originally Posted by Dkla52 View Post
    Very interesting. I might still do the experiment of dynKing
    Please post the resultant x-rays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Please post the resultant x-rays.
    You do the same of ur brain injury since you don't know how to read my follow up comment

https://www.wildsnow.com/17797/dynaf...#comment-74681

https://www.wildsnow.com/19564/dynaf...-heel-upgrade/

a good piece by Lou ^^ with lots of pictures comparing the shitty screw and the stronger screw

dynafit still appears to have their collective heads in the sand
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-23-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.wildsnow.com/17797/dynaf...#comment-74681

https://www.wildsnow.com/19564/dynaf...-heel-upgrade/

a good piece by Lou ^^ with lots of pictures comparing the shitty screw and the stronger screw

dynafit still appears to have their collective heads in the sand
    That's helpful. Just sent an email to Dynafit CS. I've got the reinforced rib, but the old shitty screws. We'll see what they say.

I've never had a problem with my 90's tour lite tech's, but lots of people seem to pop out of their tech bindings at inopportune times.

like this guy:
    https://www.facebook.com/Backcountry...52490318208892

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    That's helpful. Just sent an email to Dynafit CS. I've got the reinforced rib, but the old shitty screws. We'll see what they say.
    well Dynafit say its not the shitty cheap looking black screws so I think you are SOL but do let us know what they say

I totally agree with what lou's take is and what he has written, if you got the grey screws you will probably be OK, and so I only have one more set of screws to break

I don't reallly get what significance the rib might be?

Quote Originally Posted by christoph benells View Post
    I've never had a problem with my 90's tour lite tech's, but lots of people seem to pop out of their tech bindings at inopportune times.

like this guy:
    https://www.facebook.com/Backcountry...52490318208892
    if i properly clear the binding i never get pre-release and I never lock out the toes, otoh I have pre-released into a tree when the heel piece exploded

Add me to the tally of Dynafit Radical failures. Mine are the ribbed (for her pleasure!) ones, but with the black screws. Dynafit rep in NZ is kindly looking after them, and here's hoping they'll perform well in the future.

At the moment, they are my only tech binding (SollyFit plates on two pairs of skis). I can't trust them now, though, so have ordered some ATK Freeraider 14s ($400 on Telemark Pyrenees). Time will tell how that goes...

Yeah, I'm thinking those atomic/salomon ones are looking good. At least the heel pieces. I'm partial to the radical toe piece (purely emotional) but I just want a simple burly heal piece and non-alu toe wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Add me to the tally of Dynafit Radical failures. Mine are the ribbed (for her pleasure!)...
    Of course !