Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pieps DPS Pro screen issue

So I got a new DPS Pro unit a few months ago, seemed to be working fine. Anyways after skiing all day I decided to do sa beacon search at the end of the day. When I pulled it out I noticed the screen was off (put the led light was blinking), which I figured was a power saving thing (my Pulse does this) , but then when I switched to search mode the screen still stayed off, but the speaker was working. I had to turn the unit off and back on to get a screen. I thought it was a fluke but was able to reproduce then it the next day. I re-read the manual and couldn't find anything. I'm going to call Pieps this week, but am I missing something here?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

I just had this issue, though my LED wasn't blinking. I just requested a warranty replacement from BD.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I haven't seen that. What did Pieps say?
    Warranty it. I'm going to take it back to BD next week.

Had this same exact issue as well. Still transmitting even with no screen, so thats good atleast. BD sent out a new one before recieving my warranty return -warranty/customer service is some of the best out there.

BD replaced my beacon with no fuss, though I did have to send it in before they sent out a replacement.

Hmmmm. My replacement beacon had the same issue today. Doing some drills with a friend so I was able to hand it to him to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid. The replacement was from the same batch, but uh, WTF?

Well fuck, I was going to pull the trigger on a DPS Pro.

This is the exact type of shit I don't want out of my beacon. I'll trade in all the bells and whistles for complete, no questions asked, 100% reliability.

I have not had any issues with my replacement beacon, but only have ~15 days with it so far. FWIW (not much)

Polarized lenses? I doubt that's the problem, but it definitely skews the screen if your wearing them. My original DPS threw an error code in the first week, but my replacement has worked great for a couple years now. Good luck.

Well, got my replacement last February, and just had the same screen issue 2 days ago. Luckily it still transmits with no screen, but initiating a search would require turning the beacon off and back on. Frustrating, as I've used a pieps for 10 years now and have no desire to switch it up....
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowerSnowBlower View Post
    Polarized lenses? I doubt that's the problem, but it definitely skews the screen if your wearing them. My original DPS threw an error code in the first week, but my replacement has worked great for a couple years now. Good luck.
    Funny you mention it, I was wearing polarized sunglasses for the first drill but quickly realized what was happening so I took them off for the 2nd drill/failure before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Well, got my replacement last February, and just had the same screen issue 2 days ago. Luckily it still transmits with no screen, but initiating a search would require turning the beacon off and back on. Frustrating, as I've used a pieps for 10 years now and have no desire to switch it up....
    WTF? Seems like this isn't an isolated issue.

no issues on my old dsp & a more recent dsp sport

Pieps DPS Pro screen issue

My only issue with the pro so far is that there is no lock tab when the unit is in search mode, so I have to be careful during a search to not let the slide retract back to send mode. Probably a good idea to quickly reset the unit back to send, but it does take some minding. No issue with the screen, and the backlit function was one of the reasons I chose DPS over the Pulse/Element

Dropped it off at BD, they're sending me a new one. Hope this one works.

Huh, I was thinking about upgrading to one of these. I see what ac said, have any other DSP Sport users out there had similar issues?

Black Diamond customer service sending me out a new one again, I'll send mine in for warranty when I receive it.

Their response, "I haven't seen this issue very much, pretty strange you have had it happen to your beacons twice. Seems like incredibly bad luck."
    Drive slow, homie.

It happened to sfotex's beacon, twice. It happened about 10 months apart. Seems like the manufacturer needs to look into this. Restarting the beacon during a real life event is not acceptable, obviously.

For no reason whatsoever mine started throwing an E2 error code this weekend. Customer service here I come. I have a DSP Pro

So glad I went a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    For no reason whatsoever mine started throwing an E2 error code this weekend. Customer service here I come. I have a DSP Pro
    I've had this as well with older DSPs. Try to let your beacon do it's self-test 50cm away from any other interference. I used get an E22 error quite frequently and that was the issue. If yours is a newer pro it's an E2 error, so same deal....This is likely what customer service will tell you, unless the code doesn't go away...

Every single beacon out there has it's flaws...besides possibly the tracker2 (imo)?
    Last edited by Z; 12-27-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Do we know if this is a Pro only issue or does it affect the Sport also. Z, do you know what the differences between the Tracker2 & 3 are besides the packaging? I feel like I was ready to move away from BCA as an "advanced user" as all the cool guys are using something else these days. Perhaps the Tracker is exactly what I want and I've been too focused on marketing and image.

I don't really know about the Sport issues, but I'd imagine the potential is there for the same problem. I've actually never heard of anyone else having this problem besides myself and the other fine folks in this thread.

As for BCA - The Tracker 3 is also solid, but my experience with it is a bit more limited. My issue with the 3 is that BCA only half-drank the flagging kool-aid. It will only suppress 1 signal (which could be seen as benefit with signal overlap on multiple burials). I don't have enough practice with the 'big picture' function to speak to it. What I can say is that the tracker 2 is fast, has no signal loyalty, isn't over-thought, and just works. It lends itself to working flawlessly with the non-flagging multiple burial search techniques.

On the other hand, the pieps is extremely signal loyal - for better or worse. Certainly for the worse during a group beacon-check. In a double burial, it will flag #1 and take you right #2. In a triple, it will flag #1, take you right to #2, and has a 50-75% chance of floundering on #3 (such that you'll need to abandon flagging and fall-back to the basics). This is also where the scan function can come in handy (and why I'd say go for the pro over the sport).

Hope that helps your decision a bit...
    Drive slow, homie.

I also haven't heard of issues outside of this thread, but my ear isn't on the ground as much as it once was while working in a shop.

As Z said, the Tracker 2 works. I personally don't love the display or audio but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. One person did post on here saying they found it relatively easy to accidentally bump the search mode switch back into transmit, and I'd say that's a valid criticism. Range is a bit on the short side too.

I haven't had a chance to use the Tracker 3, but have a few partners that love their. I was kinda wary of it because development didn't seem to go super smoothly (release was pushed back multiple times and there were software issues with some of the early ones) but they seem to be solid now.

As for other beacons - my opinion is the 3+ has a great display and the Element has great audio. I'm not sure I'd find the extra features of the Pulse worth it but I'd have to think about that more. I haven't had a chance to use an S1 or any of the Arva stuff but have friends that are fans of those as well.

One thing I do like about the Tracker 2 and the 3+ is that the search mode switch is completely separate from the power switch. With the Pieps, Tracker 3, or Mammut beacons it's possible to move the switch the wrong way and turn the beacon off instead of into search mode. Like most beacon quirks, solved by practice.

I'm sure you've already checked out beaconreviews.com, but I came across this youtube channel this morning that has pretty good video demos of most of the beacons. Might be helpful.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrA...q_S9Ycpx7GOgCQ