Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    An Intuition Pro Tour and a locking power strap help make the stock FT130 boot even more like the RX130. With those installed, the FT130 is within, say, a 5 or 7 degree Celsius temperature difference of the RX130.
    I second all of this. I also don’t mind being in what might be a softer boot for every day skiing. I don’t feel as beat up, which is nice.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

2016 Lange XT Freetour

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    more importantly the FT130 flex differently than the 120s and 130s. The flex pattern is different. FT130s have the nicest flex pattern of the many combo boots I've tried-on and skied. They ramp up almost like the RX130 or 120. But it does feel differently to those baselines.

Many of the other combo boots I've tried-on and skied ramp up much too quickly, or they hit a wall, and it feels like your shin is going to snap. The FTs reach this point after a much longer and deeper ramp up period, to the point that I can feel myself hit the front wall of the Lange's for resort skiing, but don't really feel it in back country conditions
    This is pretty much I wanted to say, they have a very progressive ramp up that feels fairly soft until you start to drive into it and then supports you very nicely. I also added a pro tongue and heavy booster and so far have been very happy but I haven’t put as much time as most folks in this thread have. The 130 flex Salomon’s they replaced felt stronger at the beginning of the flex (which scared the shit out of me when I first tried them back to back) but my gosh the amount of support they give through the flex was night and day.

Edit to say, I really didn’t like the stock liner which looked to be quite nice, but I have a super tight shell fit and honestly felt like my forefoot was swimming in those damn things and I have a wide forefoot and skinny heels
    Last edited by eskido; 11-10-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Are you guys saying that the new XT Free Pro Model 140 isnt that stiff? I am looking to replace my old K2 Spynes, which I loved, but am having a hard time finding something stiff enough and that feels good. The Lange Freeride feels great, and stiff enough in the shop. However, I dont do that much touring, but I do get in a few days of slack country.
    Will these Lange 140's be enough for my daily boot ??
    Thanks.

Something to consider for those looking to stiffen up their boots:
    https://www.pulserevelstoke.com/accessories/proflex
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funded.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	303077

My concern testing the Freetour in the shop is the lack of rearward support, something that really bothered me owning MTN Labs but not at all present skiing Lupos.

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post

My concern testing the Freetour in the shop is the lack of rearward support, something that really bothered me owning MTN Labs but not at all present skiing Lupos.
    Those things work great, I have them on my K2's!

Re: stiffness, I'm a 180-pound race coach with what I'd like to think are reasonable skills (I've never been fast, but people who don't know what fast is sometimes think I am). I've found the XT 140 to be plenty of boot for driving an old pair of 21m GS skis (presumed retail stock), older Fischer FIS slaloms, Atomic cheater slaloms (non-FIS S9) and X9s, and Lhasas. I've got a pair of real GS skis coming on a UPS truck next week, and those may be a real test.

I do coach with one guy who tried the 130 for a year and has gone back to a boot quiver (plug boots for race skis and Hawx 130s for everything else).

I would like to A/B test against a true race boot on race skis and hard snow, but I'm not going to spend the time and effort getting a pair of race boots set up just to find out how much difference I can perceive.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispmoto View Post
    Will these Lange 140's be enough for my daily boot ??
    Thanks.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by banzai View Post
    Yes.
    I second this

... My concern testing the Freetour in the shop is the lack of rearward support, something that really bothered me owning MTN Labs but not at all present skiing Lupos.
    That's a bingo! My problem with the XT (all variants) is that "leaning too far back in a chair" feeling when trying to use the rear cuff. Just nothing there, and it felt like they just collapsed. I too gave up on trying to find the holy grail and now just use race boots (RS 140) for alpine skis and Hawx for AT and I'm quite happy.
    Who cares how the crow flies

I've am a big guy (6'5" and 225 lbs) and put over 80 on-area days on my XT 130s last year on 188s and 192s with no complaints carving or driving them through deep crud., although they definitely do not feel like a race boot on hardpack, The rear spoilers are adjustable and with Booster Straps I never experienced back seat problems, and I guarantee it wasn't due to my flawless never out of balance technique. I find them a good choice for an area boot with a walk mode and a adequate progressive flex. A huge improvement over the OG XTs. Cannot imagine using them for backcounty skiing, but I love being able to unlock the cuff for booting up climbs in deep snow without having to undo any buckles.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispmoto View Post
    Those things work great, I have them on my K2's!

Has anyone compared these to a classic driver plate?

Hi guys,

I'm a touring newb (been resort skier forever), and have a couple questions about these. I'm looking for a touring setup, and posting specifically in this thread because I use the Lange RX 130 LV as my resort boot. My thought process is that I know it fits my foot well, so I should just go with the XT for my touring boot.

I'm in the market for a touring specific boot as I already have my resort setup and quiver. So the question is: is it crazy to get the XT 130 LV as a touring-specific boot? I know weight-wise it's geared more towards a 50-50 setup. I'd say I'm a fairly strong climber (lots of road and mountain riding on bikes), and enjoy the uphills. Wondering if the weight is prohibitive as a touring-only boot, or if it's worth it lugging a little extra for the stiffness on the downhills.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Jvhowube View Post
    So the question is: is it crazy to get the XT 130 LV as a touring-specific boot? I know weight-wise it's geared more towards a 50-50 setup. I'd say I'm a fairly strong climber (lots of road and mountain riding on bikes), and enjoy the uphills. Wondering if the weight is prohibitive as a touring-only boot, or if it's worth it lugging a little extra for the stiffness on the downhills.
    It's not just the weight - you could be 20% fitter than your touring companions and able to drag more uphill - but the touring mode (i.e. range of motion) is also mediocre. Especially when boots like the Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro exist that weigh ~500 grams less per foot and have a superior walk mode. I spend a lot of time in the XT Free 130 LV at the ski area, but seldom tour in it for this reason.

Hi guys,

I'm a touring newb (been resort skier forever), and have a couple questions about these. I'm looking for a touring setup, and posting specifically in this thread because I use the Lange RX 130 LV as my resort boot. My thought process is that I know it fits my foot well, so I should just go with the XT for my touring boot.

I'm in the market for a touring specific boot as I already have my resort setup and quiver. So the question is: is it crazy to get the XT 130 LV as a touring-specific boot? I know weight-wise it's geared more towards a 50-50 setup. I'd say I'm a fairly strong climber (lots of road and mountain riding on bikes), and enjoy the uphills. Wondering if the weight is prohibitive as a touring-only boot, or if it's worth it lugging a little extra for the stiffness on the downhills.

I did 70 touring days on langes last season, it wasn't that bad I'm willing to suffer bit more uphill to get more fun on downhill.

Lähetetty minun FIG-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I tour in these as well:
    - weight is to consider but you seem to be in better shape than me so I cant tell...
    - What conditions do you ski/ tour? In soft fluffy stuff a more uphill oriented boot is less of a penalty than in crust or bumps
    -Range of motion is a bit of a factor here - no so much the angel but the maximum forward lean - if it gets really steep for a few steps (think stepping around some trees with low snow cover) it is hard to get the heel down to the raisers even and you wont get any good grip with your skins. For normal walking (like >95% of my time hiking in them) the boots are just fine but heavy.

So I'd say if you do not intend to to big alpine outings (rocky sections, crampons, ropes and such involved) and you can keep up with your friends at this weight I think you'll be ok. But it is fairly possible that other boots will do better for your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    I did 70 touring days on langes last season, it wasn't that bad I'm willing to suffer bit more uphill to get more fun on downhill.
    Have you also spent time in the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD and the Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro? I think you could go from not "that bad" to "pretty damn good."

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Have you also spent time in the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD and the Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro? I think you could go from not "that bad" to "pretty damn good."
    I had QST pro 130 before these. I have actually Hawx ultra xtd:s coming. Gonna use them on over 1000m vertical days and skiing with clients. Langes will be used on sled skiing and shorter tours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    I had QST pro 130 before these. I have actually Hawx ultra xtd:s coming. Gonna use them on over 1000m vertical days and skiing with clients. Langes will be used on sled skiing and shorter tours.
    I think you will enjoy the Hawx Ultra XTD, except maybe when trying to take them off on a cold day. They ski very well and you save over 400 grams per foot.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I think you will enjoy the Hawx Ultra XTD, except maybe when trying to take them off on a cold day. They ski very well and you save over 400 grams per foot.
    Do you perceive a significant difference in forward lean? Blister shows 12' on the Lange (sans spoiler) vs 15' on the Hawx.

One of the guys I work with switched from an XT 130 to the Hawx Ultra this year, and he's been very happy with them. He likes the way they ski better, in part due to more forward lean; the only significant downside from his perspective is the lack of DIN sole compatibility, but he solved that by getting newer skis and bindings (this year's Atomic X14 is GripWalk compatible, while last year's is not). I prefer a more upright stance, plus a few more skis without GripWalk compatibility that aren't likely to leave the quiver anytime soon, but I'm really curious about the Hawx.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Do you perceive a significant difference in forward lean? Blister shows 12' on the Lange (sans spoiler) vs 15' on the Hawx.

One of the guys I work with switched from an XT 130 to the Hawx Ultra this year, and he's been very happy with them. He likes the way they ski better, in part due to more forward lean; the only significant downside from his perspective is the lack of DIN sole compatibility, but he solved that by getting newer skis and bindings (this year's Atomic X14 is GripWalk compatible, while last year's is not). I prefer a more upright stance, plus a few more skis without GripWalk compatibility that aren't likely to leave the quiver anytime soon, but I'm really curious about the Hawx.
    I have shim under heel and spoiler exactly because it doesn't have enough forward lean.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I ski the Lange XT Free with the 2 degree spoiler in place, and heat molded the Atomic Hawx XTD while trying to stand up straight. So they are both around 14 degrees. There is an aftermarket "chip" available for the Hawx XTD boots that gives you 13 degrees.

As for the skiing, I wouldn't say the Hawx is "better," but it responds better to subtle input from the ankle and midfoot because the cuff diameter is so small and it puts the shell closer to your foot. That's also what makes it hard to put on and take off.

Hi guys,

I’ve been between the Lange RS140/130 shell and thr XT Free Pro/130 shell the past two years. The XT Free Pro boot is my only touring boot and I’m fine with it. Granted, I’m not skiing volcanos, but I’m good for 5-6k ft of skinning with not very light skis and bindings.

Yeah, grams count, but if you are just getting into touring, I’d go with a boot you are comfortable with before going into the black hole that is touring boots.

But now saying that, GregL is the man and taking a visit to see him if you are in the Seattle area will be worth every penny. I’m haven’t been in the Atomic boot, so I can’t comment on how it skis, but two friends who ski way harder then me really like it, so if GregL recommends it, he has a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    But now saying that, GregL is the man and taking a visit to see him if you are in the Seattle area will be worth every penny. I’m haven’t been in the Atomic boot, so I can’t comment on how it skis, but two friends who ski way harder then me really like it, so if GregL recommends it, he has a reason.
    greg I'm curious what your thoughts on the Salomon S/Lab MTN are...

greg I'm curious what your thoughts on the Salomon S/Lab MTN are...
    Admirable for the simplicity and reliability of the design, very punchable for width in the forefoot, skis very well. Fit is "uneven," meaning it is snug and pointy in the toe and quite voluminous in the heel and ankle. I put quite a few days on the original version (MTN Lab) as my primary touring boot.

Hmm sounds like I need to try on the Hawx. I have a large protruding bony ankle but otherwise pretty low-volume, normal foot. I liked the idea of just fitting in the Lange's, but I definitely want something less 50/50, and more on the touring end of things.