Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    What about the new V-lock 2.0
    Is it that much better than the original?
    Yes. The first series of Lange XT boots were a joke. Didnt walk well and skied pretty loose too. I believe they can still be found on the XCseries of boots. The new method combines both a bigger cut out for ROM, and a metal on metal engagement for better forward support in ski mode. The new one is found on the XT 120, 130 and XT Freetour boots (LV and MV models).

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Yes. The first series of Lange XT boots were a joke. Didnt walk well and skied pretty loose too. I believe they can still be found on the XCseries of boots. The new method combines both a bigger cut out for ROM, and a metal on metal engagement for better forward support in ski mode. The new one is found on the XT 120, 130 and XT Freetour boots (LV and MV models).
    I have the 2015 XC 120 and and I agree the range of motion sucks but it doesn't ski loose. I wonder if that changes over time and use.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Is this on the 16-17 boots?
    As far as been stated above by XavierD and from my search the new V-lock 2.0 was only on their top models for 16 - 17 120 - 130 being the XT's and only the XC 120.
    I checked Lange's website but I could be wrong.

Another thread on XT130 Freetours got me to thinking about running them in ISO 5355 (alpine) bindings. For me, that would be for ski demos, and doing this could result in a big hit on my bank account by further enabling my gear whore propensities

I was surprised at how close the toe height is between the two standards. Only .106" separates the two.

To measure this, I pulled the sole blocks off of my 2016/2017 XT 130 Freetours (last season's boots) and measured the sole clearance in my Pivot 14 WTR bindings - in both WTR and 5355 (alpine) mode. I stacked business cards to create a feeler gauge and measured the results.

So, if you absolutely must run your Freetours with alpine binders, you could grind off .106" and be good to go. I wouldn't do this with my only pair of sole blocks, however - for obvious reasons

I don't have a copy of the ISO 5355 standard (does anyone know how get one without paying?), so one caveat is the fore/aft location of the flat, AFD section on the boot - whether it lines up with the AFD on a 5355 binding.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-10-2017 at 04:24 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Another thread on XT130 Freetours got me to thinking about running them in ISO 5355 (alpine) bindings. For me, that would be for ski demos, and doing this could result in a big hit on my bank account by further enabling my gear whore propensities

I was surprised at how close the toe height is between the two standards. Only .106" separates the two.

To measure this, I pulled the sole blocks off of my 2016/2017 XT 130 Freetours (last season's boots) and measured the sole clearance in my Pivot 14 WTR bindings - in both WTR and 5355 (alpine) mode. I stacked business cards to create a feeler gauge and measured the results.

So, if you absolutely must run your Freetours with alpine binders, you could grind off .106" and be good to go. I wouldn't do this with my only pair of sole blocks, however - for obvious reasons

I don't have a copy of the ISO 5355 standard (does anyone know how get one without paying?), so one caveat is the fore/aft location of the flat, AFD section on the boot - whether it lines up with the AFD on a 5355 binding.

... Thom
    I might know someone who has copies of the standards. I'll make a call tomorrow and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I might know someone who has copies of the standards. I'll make a call tomorrow and get back to you.
    Thanks! Someone sent a copy to me already.

As I key this in, there's a stack of various thicknesses of UHMWPE near my desk. The temptation is strong to cobble up a set of 5355 compliant front sole blocks. Likely, I'll put it off until a ski demo is imminent however

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I noticed Lange is still producing the XT130... What purpose do they serve given the Freetour? Parking lot walk mode?

Quote Originally Posted by rushbikes View Post
    I noticed Lange is still producing the XT130... What purpose do they serve given the Freetour? Parking lot walk mode?
    So much overlap, I don't know why they didn't combine the two.

According to Evo's site:

• The XT130 comes with both a WTR and an Alpine (ISO 5355) sole block.
    • The Freetour has only WTR sole blocks.
    • The XT130 doesn't have tech inserts.
    • The Freetour has tech inserts.
    • The XT130 shell is a combo of Polyether an Polyolefin HP (cuff).
    • Freetour has a Grilamid shell.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-16-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    Galibier Design

The Freetour has only WTR sole blocks.
    I just bought some Freetours and got the ISO 5355 Blocks with them,too

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    yeah -- that changed this year. And its damn nice of Lange to do that instead of making people buy extra or have to chase them down.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    yeah -- that changed this year. And its damn nice of Lange to do that instead of making people buy extra or have to chase them down.
    Yes. But I think this only works for new 2017/18 freetours.

I don't think the new alpine sole blocks fit the 16/17 freetours, due to a different screw configuration, IIRC.

Can someone else confirm?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Called. Confirmed.

New alpine sole blocks won't work on the 16/17 freetours.

Anyone want to start an OEM sole block company?

Paging the binding freedom, quiver killer, solyfit, Jigarex diy crews to the white courtesy phone.

So much overlap, I don't know why they didn't combine the two.

According to Evo's site:

• The XT130 comes with both a WTR and an Alpine (ISO 5355) sole block.
    • The Freetour has only WTR sole blocks.
    • The XT130 doesn't have tech inserts.
    • The Freetour has tech inserts.
    • The XT130 shell is a combo of Polyether an Polyolefin HP (cuff).
    • Freetour has a Grilamid shell.

... Thom
    Arguably equally if not more distinct than all the Cochise/Zero G boots IMO given shell material, liner and tech fittings differences.

That's good news for owners of this year's model.

I guess my 5355 sole block fabrication project is still in my future. How strange - they created an inventory problem by changing the pattern, with an other part # to stock. Maybe their intention is to never stock any of them however, so it makes no difference :-(

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Called. Confirmed.

New alpine sole blocks won't work on the 16/17 freetours.

Anyone want to start an OEM sole block company?

Paging the binding freedom, quiver killer, solyfit, Jigarex diy crews to the white courtesy phone.
    Now there's a business opportunity!

... Thom
    Galibier Design

That's good news for owners of this year's model.

I guess my 5355 sole block fabrication project is still in my future. How strange - they created an inventory problem by changing the pattern, with an other part # to stock. Maybe their intention is to never stock any of them however, so it makes no difference :-(

Now there's a business opportunity!

... Thom
    Last years has a different hole pattern in the sole. No swapping with the new ISO soles. Sucks being an early adopter sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Last years has a different hole pattern in the sole. No swapping with the new ISO soles. Sucks being an early adopter sometimes.
    The good news is that it's a simple project. The bad news is that it's another project ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I have the freetours and I 'm annoyed at the hard orang e plastic pieces at the bottom of the soles, there I think to facilitate alpine bindings.
    As a result, the boots are slipperier than I would like on rocks.

Any idea how I can glue some real vibram there?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I have the freetours and I 'm annoyed at the hard orang e plastic pieces at the bottom of the soles, there I think to facilitate alpine bindings.
    As a result, the boots are slipperier than I would like on rocks.

Any idea how I can glue some real vibram there?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    Please keep us tracked on your progress - would be really interested in this, too.

If someone did created and put together an order for alpine soles for the 16/17 Freetours, I'd take a few sets.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    . . . alpine soles for the 16/17 Freetours . . .
    . . . don't exist. They started making them for the 2017-18 season.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    . . . don't exist. They started making them for the 2017-18 season.
    Up higher someone commented about creating some in a project. If they did, and went as far as getting a mold made to make multiple pairs, I'd get some.

I tried on the RS 130 LV and the Freetour 130 LV both. The instep is pretty tight, and my bootfitter is nervous about getting instep space on the freetour with basically no bootboard to grind. Anyone managed to get a moderate amount of instep room? I already did a tonguectomy on my zipfits, and my footbeds areas thin as I can make them. Likely going to do two boots, but thought I would try.

Not sure what boot has a higher instep room than the Freetour. You can grind down the bootboard a bit, but also stretch out the instep some more.

Replacing the liner with some Intuitions instead of zip fits would help.

If your instep is really a problem the Lupo has the potential to have more instep volume.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Not sure what boot has a higher instep room than the Freetour. You can grind down the bootboard a bit, but also stretch out the instep some more.

Replacing the liner with some Intuitions instead of zip fits would help.

If your instep is really a problem the Lupo has the potential to have more instep volume.
    Then why are you getting the LV? Get the reg (or a Technica) and call it a day.