Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Super useful info, thanks very much!

I think I've got a few over 200 days on mine. I'm on my second set of sole blocks, the liners show a fair bit of wear, including one of the liner lace-attachment points failing, and most annoyingly, the little fabric pull-tab on one of the walk-mode switches failed.

I replaced it with a (metal) wicket, which works, but be advised that you may want to keep an eye on fabric condition, because I can't get them from ski mode to walk mode without either a pull tab of some sort or a tool to leverage in there.

I'm still pretty damn happy with the overall performance as a quiver-of-one boot, though.

I took mine on a big hike yesterday and they really surprised me. The Intuition Pro Tour HV liner and the WC Booster Strap help the boot a ton. Hiking across scree fields and scrambling up high wasn't scary, but somewhat fun.

They also drove my 202 cm Rangers just fine which surprised me. They were supportive and allowed me to get pressure on the tips when it was needed.

I'm pretty happy with mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I was really worried about this.

Lots of silicone spray. After about 25 days in them somehow the mechanism goes into walk or ski much easier.

I used to have to have the boots in the skis, locked down, to get into ski or walk mode, to get enough leverage.
    Lately, I can do it just pressing hard on the snow.
    I even made this summer some light short gaiters to cover the mechanism when booting up a couloir in powder.
    Unfortunately, didn't have enough snow this winter to test them.
    I don't know if kevino has tried silicone spray, but I know he has way, way more than 25 days on them, mostly in Montana and southern BC.

jorion -- last we spoke, he says he's using them more than his TLT6s, which I think says a lot about how well they ski. I want a pair of the new 140 flex version coming out next season.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Yes, my only touring boot. No regrets at all.
    The only thing I wish for is a bit more forward range when I boot up on rocky terrain. But this is really minor.

I also figured out how to put them on when it's really cold, in a tent, and the boots are frozen.

Two half liter bottles of hot water in the shells for 10 minutes.
    Problem solved.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app
    Finally toured in my 110 XT's. Not great, but not horrible either. I noticed the lack of forward range of motion as well. Sucked a couple of times when the skin track or boot pack got steep or slippery.

Great idea about hot water bottles, even if boots are easy to get on.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

https://issuu.com/zuzupopo/docs/lange_1819

shows the next years boots. a 120 is added to the freetour line
    the 130 and 140 get a dual core shell (similar to the 17/18 RX's). probably allows them to tweak flex better (like in a real different 140/130 shells).

according to the description the liner is similar between 140/130/120/110 but i think that is a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by slashy View Post
    https://issuu.com/zuzupopo/docs/lange_1819 the freetour line
    the 130 and 140 get a dual core shell (similar to the 17/18 RX's).
    What is this exactly?
    I have FT 130's and thinking about upping to the 140 next season. what benefit does dual core give me? does the dual core or whatever have any drawbacks? does it restrict punching or fitting in any way? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    What is this exactly?
    I have FT 130's and thinking about upping to the 140 next season. what benefit does dual core give me? does the dual core or whatever have any drawbacks? does it restrict punching or fitting in any way? thanks.
    I just got in the dual core RX 130 LV, seems like the plastic holds punches easier than my old RX, they are at least 10% stiffer than my old RX and the flex is subjectively "better" feeling. I would imagine the XT will be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    What is this exactly?
    Dual core is a sandwhich core construction: hard durometer plastic - softer durometer plastic - hard durometer plastic. Simultaneously injected into the boot. Theoretically it provides better rebound, and a smoother flex, as they can vary the relitive thickness of the hard and soft plastic; Ie: more stiff plastic through the base of the boot and spine, with more soft over the top of the foot. I do know that my dual core RS 130s are by far the smoothest and best skiing non plug boot I have tried. Hopefully they are able to achieve similar effects with the XT Free boots.

I have punched and ground my RS like I would any boot. I would be cautious about grinding any PA plastic however.

Well after two bakes of my Intuition Pro Tour HV liners, a little grinding on the footbeds, and adding WC Booster straps, I'm 100% sold on my Freetours. They are awesome. I may have to replace my race boots with just my Freetours. They don't ski quite as well, but they are very serviceable and my feet don't get cold.

I am curious as to how the XT Freetour 140s will ride. Hopefully they will be a little closer to my ZBs and I'll be happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using TGR Forums mobile app

Are the next season's FreeTours compatible with alpine bindings(ISO 5355)?

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    kevino skis these a ton as well -- the main walk mode drawback he's mentioned to me (and posted about on here) is getting stuck in walk mode when digging pits or bootpacking in deep snow. He now puts them into ski mode before postholing, which solves the issue (but then you're limited in ROM).
    I've been having this problem on and off this season, of getting stuck in walk mode. Only when sled-skiing (which means I do a lot of postholing around the sled). Never happens touring though.
    Pretty much skiied everything in walk mode today, which was a bummer.

I saw the other reply about silicone. I've tried a bit a while ago but it didn't do much.

any other results?

I had some issues but now I switch modes when the boot is entirely closed (tight buckles and strap like when skiing) and clipped into the binders with a strong forward push of the shin -> works quite well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    I had some issues but now I switch modes when the boot is entirely closed (tight buckles and strap like when skiing) and clipped into the binders with a strong forward push of the shin -> works quite well so far.
    Yeah, that's what I do.

Also, silicone spray on the inside of the boot, in the back where the mechanism is.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Yeah, that's what I do.

Also, silicone spray on the inside of the boot, in the back where the mechanism is.
    ah. good idea. I didn't spray any in there. probably getting packed with snow there. thanks

We had a side discussion about these boots in the Quiver thread so I’m bumping this and reposting my comments about the difference between the RS130/140 and the XT Freetour 130.

I’ll also preference this by saying I prefer cork liners over form and have a narrow foot. I also prefer a snug boot (tight hockey skate snug for those hockey players out there) and because of this tend to crack them where the shell folds over up by the toe.

With the stock XT Freetour liner, I felt the boot was almost unskiable. I couldn’t get it snug enough to drive a ski. I replaced the stock liner with a high volume (the thickest) Intuition Pro Tour liner and the boot/liner system was 100% better. I could actually drive a ski and be in control. The fore and aft flex was closer to that of the RS 140, but still on the soft side. The lateral flex was about identical to the RS140.

I was still struggling to get an even flex out of the boot. It seemed to get to a point then I’d hit a wall, and not be able to drive my knee forward as far as I’d like. My boot guy (or maybe it was you guys) suggested a booster strap, and that improved the boot even more. I now had a boot that was almost perfect.

I was still losing some support fore and aft, so I tried the RS 140 cork liner in the XT Freetour 130 shell and it was perfect. I had all the lateral support I asked for when holding an edge. Fore and aft the support was there that I wanted, not what the RS has but 90% of the way there.

I did go back and forth between the two liners depending on the day, touring or inbounds/backcountry. I did try touring in the cork liner and it is not worth the extra weight and lost of ROM in my opinion. The Intuition Pro Tour is more then workable, a lot lighter and as long as I’m moving, just as warm.

I’m hoping to get a pair of the XT Free Pro 140s for this winter and I’ll report back with what I find. I doubt the XT platform will ever get to where I can drive a pair of dedicated carving skis, so I’ll keep the RS 140 shells around, but I don’t see them getting the daily used they once did. Between Langes dance (walk) mode and the grippy soles, I feel it’s a better platform for what I do.

Any idea how intuition liners fit in these shells? Own a 28.5 xt and am planning on purchasing a 28 tour wrap. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by morphintoskittle View Post
    Any idea how intuition liners fit in these shells? Own a 28.5 xt and am planning on purchasing a 28 tour wrap. Thanks
    Traditionally I have always gone up one size (27/9 liner in a 26 boot) but have found more variety recently. All recent (last 2 years) Power Wraps have been same size. Pro Tours have been hit or miss depending on boot, Luxuries have all been up one size. Never seen one of the Tour wraps.

I went with the same size Pro Tour and the shell and it’s perfect

2016 Lange XT Freetour

Have a pair of freetours after being in RX for many years.
    Been struggling to ski them and I think I’ve figured out why.
    The ramp angle is way different - freetour bootboard is almost perfectly flat while the RX is notably more ramped. I guess neither is right nor wrong but they are way different which is the issue - makes me feel like I’m on my heels in the freetours.
    Haven’t tried to quantify angle difference but 10mm block under the heel of the freetour makes them about the same.

Tough to see in image but i'm just eyeballing combination square resting on boot board so precision is lacking but difference is obvious.

Anyone else troubled by this that has both freetours and RX or RS?

Thinking about bontex or other heel lifts but that’ll change fit and no way can I put in enough to neutralize issue.
    Shims under binding heel piece - not great solution since I want to swap boots.
    I’m skiing them both with STH2’s so the adjustment is lifting the toe piece. I guess I could look at swapping to different bindings that raise and lower the AFD ( shift, look dual).

Unfortunately I have the old freetours so no din sole option.

Any other suggestions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0152.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	349.3 KB 
ID:	258858

Use a look dual and you will get the same ramp angle as the RX. All Lange boots (non custom ZA/B/C) will have a 4d ramp angle. You experience a ‘flatter’ boot due to the thicker WTR toe piece. This is one reason I’m a fan of bindings with adjustable AFDs as opposed to adjustable toe piece heights.

Also an advantage of GripWalk over WTR.

In the meantime a 1/4in heel lift will get you balanced and not drastically change the fit as much as you think it will. Just remember to also place a spoiler in the boot.

I noticed a huge difference with the thickest Intuition Pro Tour liner or RS140 liner (and spoiler) in the XT Freetour compared to the stock liners.

Could the thicker liner provide the same difference?

Thanks @XavierD
    Will play around with heel lifts and spoilers next few days.

Popped in a 3/16 heel lift and a cuff spoiler today.

Holy sh#t! What an amazing difference! Instantly felt back in balance and had a great day skiing them aggressively.

I was pretty close to giving or throwing away these boots so I’m kind of blown away by how different a little bit of lift felt - I guess I’m really sensitive to ramp (or lack of it).

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Popped in a 3/16 heel lift and a cuff spoiler today.

Holy sh#t! What an amazing difference! Instantly felt back in balance and had a great day skiing them aggressively.

I was pretty close to giving or throwing away these boots so I’m kind of blown away by how different a little bit of lift felt - I guess I’m really sensitive to ramp (or lack of it).
    Amen brother! I had a similar experience and solution last season in my Maestrale RSs when I went from toe-shimmed Dynafit Verts to Tectons.

This comes up in enough threads that it could be a thread of its own. There was a lengthy thread on Dynafit ramp and shims a few years ago. Maybe with all of the boot binding combos out there now we should start capturing the info in one place?