Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
    Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    What did you do the dial in the boot/binding ramp angle after the grinding the sole of toe area mod? Or was the resulting increase in toe drop advantageous?
    No grinding was done. My boot guy and I decided it wouldn't help.

The pictures are showing the difference between the boot sitting flat on the ground compared when it's rotated so the AFD plate on the replaceable sole is flat on the ground.

The AFD plate is too thin where you would need to grind it down to get the boots to fit into an Alpine binding. If Lange had made the AFD plate full thickness, we would simply be able to grind the rocker sole down to fit into an alpine binding. The thought of just grinding down the AFD plate and rocker sole was considered, but I think the AFD plate would be so thin that a rock would punch through it.

I am considering filling the voids with epoxy or JB Weld, then grinding (or taking the sole to a planer) the sole to where when the boot sits flat on the ground, or in an alpine binding, it fits correctly with out deforming the toe piece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5199.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	218056Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5200.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	218057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5201.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	218058

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    No grinding was done. My boot guy and I decided it wouldn't help.

The pictures are showing the difference between the boot sitting flat on the ground compared when it's rotated so the AFD plate on the replaceable sole is flat on the ground.

The AFD plate is too thin where you would need to grind it down to get the boots to fit into an Alpine binding. If Lange had made the AFD plate full thickness, we would simply be able to grind the rocker sole down to fit into an alpine binding. The thought of just grinding down the AFD plate and rocker sole was considered, but I think the AFD plate would be so thin that a rock would punch through it.

I am considering filling the voids with epoxy or JB Weld, then grinding (or taking the sole to a planer) the sole to where when the boot sits flat on the ground, or in an alpine binding, it fits correctly with out deforming the toe piece.
    Yeah, that was my one concern - enough available material to grind it down. Thanks for documenting this. It sounds as if rolling your own, or just jamming it in are the two options.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    . . . at Thom's regular hourly rate, he'd be ahead if he'd done this a few weeks ago . . .
    Of course, all of the endless, non-productive banter would have then been sacrificed to the cause of actually getting this done

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Yeah, that was my one concern - enough available material to grind it down. Thanks for documenting this. It sounds as if rolling your own, or just jamming it in are the two options.
    ... Thom
    The just jamming it in there was looked at, and it forces the toe of be Pivot binding down. My boo guy highly advised against this because it will wear the pedestal down and the toe piece won't return to its base position over time.

I'll make a decision this week some time. If/when you see a bunch of crap for sale later this week, you'll know I made a decision.

I put about 75-100 days on the '15 freetours and thought they were a good work boot, just a little soft in warm weather.
    After about 5 days on this years, it definitely feels like a better boot all around. The walk mode feels like it has more range of motion, the boot feels stiffer (although maybe that's because my old ones are worn out) , and the liner is much nicer. Haven't used the tech inserts on it yet but the quality seems great and I'm excited to get out on them more. Still won't replace my maestrales for touring though.

If anybody wants extra new alpine blocks for the '16s, just pay shipping and you can have mine.
    Last edited by camlax; 12-07-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Wait - so is there actually a difference between the '16-17 and '17-18' Freetours other than the option for an alpine sole block on the '17-18?
    Can anyone elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by DKNY2LA View Post
    Wait - so is there actually a difference between the '16-17 and '17-18' Freetours other than the option for an alpine sole block on the '17-18?
    Can anyone elaborate?
    apologies i meant 15-16