Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Got out on Vipecs for the first time recently with 2017 Cochise 120, and noticed the ramp angle is really upright due to Cochise hybrid DIN/tech toe. Made some 1/8" thick heel spacers, so ramp now matches STH. Haven't milled out the spacers for weight savings yet, but they're only 39g each solid so the return on labor would be minimal.

Crazy how big a difference boot sole shape makes, with rockered-sole AT boots like Maestrales I'd be putting 1/4" shims under the toes instead. Food for thought for those getting hybrid boots such as Cochise/Zero G, K2 Pinnacle, Lange XT, etc. With Beasts, you'd probably need a 1/4" shim under the heel to have an "alpine" ramp angle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vipec-spacer1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	203371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vipec-spacer2.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1,020.8 KB 
ID:	203372  

Happen to have new pairs of 26.5 Guide and Guide Pro boots at the moment, and got out the durometer to compare the plastics...

As several folks have deduced, the only difference between the two shells is the color and how the buckles attach (Guides are riveted, Pros are screwed). At every point I tested the hardness of the plastic, I got the same durometer reading for both shells.

Chalk up the "120" vs "110" flex to the marketing department. In fact, if anything the Guide could be stiffer thanks to a more substantial liner, which has a hard plastic tongue exterior like the 2017 Cochise liner. And it's possible that the cutouts in the Pro cuff could reduce the stiffness a tiny bit too.

The 328g (without insole) Ultralon liner in the Guide is somewhat similar to a ProTour, but has softer foam, a perforated cuff to save weight and vent moisture, and is thinner than a 300g MV ProTour. (I only have a MV ProTour for comparison, maybe the Guide's Ultralon liner is more like a LV ProTour?) The 192g (without insole) Palau liner in the Pro is constructed using fewer panels and is more minimalistic, and being so light and soft it definitely flexes well.

Really the only reason to get the Pro is if you gotta save the 136g and have yellow instead of green, and are willing to pay an extra $100-$150 for it. If you plan to use ProTour liners anyway, going with the Guide is a no-brainer - or just run the stock Ultralon liners (which weigh almost exactly the same as ProTour) and save yourself yet another $150.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 05-23-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Happen to have new pairs of 26.5 Guide and Guide Pro boots at the moment, and got out the durometer to compare the plastics...

As several folks have deduced, the only difference between the two shells is the color and how the buckles attach (Guides are riveted, Pros are screwed). At every point I tested the hardness of the plastic, I got the same durometer reading for both shells.

Chalk up the "120" vs "110" flex to the marketing department. In fact, if anything the Guide is stiffer thanks to a much more substantial liner, which has a hard plastic tongue exterior like the 2017 Cochise liner. And I wouldn't be surprised if the cutouts in the Pro cuff don't reduce the stiffness a tiny bit too.

The 328g (without insole) Ultralon liner in the Guide is somewhat similar to a ProTour, but has softer foam, a perforated cuff to save weight and vent moisture, and is thinner than a 300g MV ProTour. (I only have a MV ProTour for comparison, maybe the Guide's Ultralon liner is more like a LV ProTour?) The 192g (without insole) Palau liner in the Pro is much more minimalistic and looks a bit like a thick surf bootie. Being so light and soft, it certainly flexes well though.

In all seriousness, the only reason to get the Pro is if you gotta have yellow instead of green and are willing to pay an extra $100-$150 just for the color. If you plan to upgrade to ProTour liners anyway, going with the Guide is a no-brainer - just run the stock Ultralon liners (which weigh almost exactly the same as ProTour) and save yourself yet another $150...

The only other reason I can think to go with the Pro is if you're willing to trade downhill performance for 136g less weight per boot, which I suppose is a big deal if you're doing really long tours, but in that case you'd probably want a different class boot anyway.
    Interesting. How stiff do the boots feel if you wear them compared to each other?

328g - 192g = 140g. Isn't that the difference in weight between the Guide Pro and the Guide. In other words no weight difference outside of the liner?

I believe the Pro shell is 16g lighter than the Guide due to the aluminum buckle bases (Guide has stamped steel bases), but I'll have to weigh again to confirm. So virtually the same boot, except for liner.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post

Chalk up the "120" vs "110" flex to the marketing department. In fact, if anything the Guide is stiffer thanks to a much more substantial liner, which has a hard plastic tongue exterior like the 2017 Cochise liner. And I wouldn't be surprised if the cutouts in the Pro cuff don't reduce the stiffness a tiny bit too.

The 328g (without insole) Ultralon liner in the Guide is somewhat similar to a ProTour, but has softer foam, a perforated cuff to save weight and vent moisture, and is thinner than a 300g MV ProTour. (I only have a MV ProTour for comparison, maybe the Guide's Ultralon liner is more like a LV ProTour?) The 192g (without insole) Palau liner in the Pro is much more minimalistic and looks a bit like a thick surf bootie. Being so light and soft, it certainly flexes well though.

In all seriousness, the only reason to get the Pro is if you gotta have yellow instead of green and are willing to pay an extra $100-$150 just for the color. If you plan to upgrade to ProTour liners anyway, going with the Guide is a no-brainer - just run the stock Ultralon liners (which weigh almost exactly the same as ProTour) and save yourself yet another $150...

The only other reason I can think to go with the Pro is if you're willing to trade downhill performance for 136g less weight per boot, which I suppose is a big deal if you're doing really long tours, but in that case you'd probably want a different class boot anyway.
    Told yah

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Told yah
    I wanted to believe yellow was mo betta...alas, you were right though.

I'm not sure why someone would upgrade the pro liner to a pro tour. the 0G pro liner is distinctly lighter than a pro tour and holds the foot well. It doesn't ski terribly.

The 0G guide liner is noticeably thicker and bulkier than any pro tour I have used.

YMMV.

^ Good point, I haven't skied the boots yet and am just going by carpet test.

Guys, this is an amazing thread. And that section in the middle about Lou and how touring gear is reviewed is a fantastic conversation, and could be a seperate thread on its own!

@1000-oaks Fantastic research on the pro vs guides, this is what makes TGR great. I'm sold on just getting the green guides now.

Wanted to see if I can get some feedback from you guys on sizing. Size 11 shoe, daily driver boot is the Dalbello Krypton 27.5, fits great with minor punching in 5th toe and 6th toe. I got the Scarpa Mastrale RS in a 27.5, did the same punches, still too narrow and getting major pain on the side of the foot. So I'm now looking at the Zero G Guides as a replacement touring boot. Can anyone with any experience in the Krypton 27.5 and/or the Mastrale RS 27.5 comment on their Zero G sizing?

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Can anyone with any experience in the Krypton 27.5 and/or the Mastrale RS 27.5 comment on their Zero G sizing?
    I'm a 26.5/27.0 in a Maestrale and F1, and 25/25.5 in the ZeroG. I needed punches for 6th toe and big toe on my right foot. This is an aggressive shell fit (~0.5"), but works perfectly for me as a resort boot (w/Powerwraps) and a winter touring boot. For long, flat approaches + lots of dirt walking in the spring, I get too much toe contact with the front of the boot.

I got the Scarpa Mastrale RS in a 27.5, did the same punches, still too narrow and getting major pain on the side of the foot.
    Why not punch it more?

So I'm now looking at the Zero G Guides as a replacement touring boot. Can anyone with any experience in the Krypton 27.5 and/or the Mastrale RS 27.5 comment on their Zero G sizing?
    I would wear the same size in all three shells.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Why not punch it more?

I would wear the same size in all three shells.
    Thanks for the quick replies guys! I've punched the Mastrales enough, and they still are too tight. I'd rather not "just make it work" but actually get a boot that fits my foot correctly. I dont know if Scarpas shell sizing is different, but the 27.5s are no bueno for me. My thinking is since Tecnica is a more "standard" boot manufacturer, their 27.5 might be a better fit, more similar to my 27.5 Kryptons.

I dont know if Scarpas shell sizing is different, but the 27.5s are no bueno for me.
    In terms of length, Scarpa's 27.5 boots actually use the same shells as their 28.0 boots, while Tecnica and Dalbello use the same shells for 27.0 and 27.5. However, it doesn't sound like length is the problem. Forefoot width and instep height vary in the three boots; the Scarpa Maestrale last is actually nominally wider in the forefoot than the other two boots, but tends to fit lower over the instep with the stock liner. FWIW, my foot is wider than any of the three out of the box, but I've been able to make all of them fit fine.

Spent Sunday booting in the Pros with unmolded factory liners, like them a lot. No blisters or hot spots, but some numbness in the forefoot, thinking they're a bit too narrow but a mold job should take care of that. Definitely feel the lower shell plastic against the Achilles when carpet testing, but never noticed it during actual use.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I've punched the Mastrales enough, and they still are too tight. I'd rather not "just make it work" but actually get a boot that fits my foot correctly. I dont know if Scarpas shell sizing is different, but the 27.5s are no bueno for me. My thinking is since Tecnica is a more "standard" boot manufacturer, their 27.5 might be a better fit, more similar to my 27.5 Kryptons.
    Well in theory, the smallest boot with the most punching (within reason) is the best fit. Having said that, some shells are just not meant for some feet, for reasons stated in this and other threads. I wouldn't call any of the boots in this thread non-standard however. Of course, they all have different lasts.

The times I've felt I've gone wrong with boot selection/sizing is when I didn't prioritize ankle/heel fit as well as instep height (IOW, size boots for those areas, from the remaining candidates, pick the boot that I can somehow make the forefoot work). Realize that I say this as someone with thin heels and bony ankles.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-23-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Happy - Evo gear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 - 1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	761.6 KB 
ID:	206805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 - 2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	799.8 KB 
ID:	206806

just sayin
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Hello everyone, a couple of questions to those who have purchased the ZGGP, if I may.
    Are the laces for the Palau liner comprised in the package?
    And is the same equipped with a detachable footbed or not?
    TIA to anyone who will enlighten me on this.

Sent using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Hello everyone, a couple of questions to those who have purchased the ZGGP, if I may.
    Are the laces for the Palau liner comprised in the package?
    And is the same equipped with a detachable footbed or not?
    TIA to anyone who will enlighten me on this.

yes the liner comes with laces, and a (thin) footbed.

Uh oh...thanks!
    The ones I bought are without laces and detachable footbed. The price was a snap, and the seller a legitimate dealer/bootfitter/tuning lab which deals mainly with Tecnica/Blizzard racing equipment (but also Dynastar /Lange).
    Guess I will have to pay them a visit and find out if they have the laces and footbed lost/forgotten somewhere in their storeroom (they gave me a cochise box instead of the zggp box, cause couldn't find it, guess that the laces and hopefully the footbed are in there).

Went directly to the source instead.
    Called up Trcnica Hq in Italy asking for information, got connected to what then resulted being CS offices and after explaining my doubts was shipped home at no costs the whe set, strings, footbeds and another item I did not know was in the kit, the spoiler to increase the forward lean if need be.
    Kit received yesterday evening.
    Props to Tecnica! One more reason to stay with them (started using Tecnica in 1992 with the TNT racing, then Icon XT17 and now 9.8r and ZGGP)

For some reason I was 200% sure that Zero G Guide is WTR compatible and will work properly with Look Pivots Dual WTR. I completely missed that with default soles they are only ISO 9523 compatible. So I was wondering if somebody had experience riding them with Pivots? I realize that it's not ok with manufacturer recommendations but on the other hand these boots don't have sole rocker. Anyone?

Guessing they're not WTR or Gripwalk because they don't have a hard surface against the AFD. But if the binding has a sliding AFD, you'd probably be fine.

Pivots have fixed AFD, not the sliding AFD. I realize now my question was stupid. I can see how it can possibly work at least close to how it should be with sliding AFD, but with fixed AFD it's not working at all. Just tested them at the lowest release values... It's like butter sliding on a hot pan vs rubber... not sliding at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    For some reason I was 200% sure that Zero G Guide is WTR compatible and will work properly with Look Pivots Dual WTR. I completely missed that with default soles they are only ISO 9523 compatible. So I was wondering if somebody had experience riding them with Pivots? I realize that it's not ok with manufacturer recommendations but on the other hand these boots don't have sole rocker. Anyone?
    Yep, pivots are an awesome binding they keep in under sketchy conditions and when its time to let go they let go! right now.

Dumb to mess with that.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~