Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RIP - Mirra

RIP - Mirra

Supporting a serially disappointing college sports program doesn't help things either.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Supporting a serially disappointing college sports program doesn't help things either.
    Very true.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

so sad to loose such a long time presence and such a huge talent. RIP.

Bump for this Pastrana interview:

Over a year ago I posted this in the NFL thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It may be the worst offender, but the NFL is hardly alone on the head injury stage. Dave Mirra's suicide is probably going to shine a big bright light on action sports. I also predict that Travis Pastrana is going to spend most of his time mumbling incoherently by 50. I remember an interview well over 10 years ago where he said he had had 14 concussions. It's a safe assumption that those were just the bad ones, and he had more after that.

^night terrors generally occur in children at a younger age, but for some it does continue into their adult years. I don't think it has anything to do with concussions based on that.

Yeah, that sounds like it's from stress of all those stunts and have friends dying and being seriously hurt.

During the hey-day of nitro Circus tours, I saw many athletes get concussions, bad ones, and then get egged on to get back up and hit the mega ramp again and again. And crash again and again after hitting their head. There was no concussion game plan during those events, as far as I saw. I saw a lot of athletes get checked out by the medic crew behind-the-scenes, they were only concerned about if something was broken or blown. The promoters were irresponsible, but it wasn't even on their radar. There was probably exceptions, but ti was all about the athlete choosing to go on.

Unlike X-Games, where if you crash and get a concussion, you are out and don't move on to the next round. So if the concussion is not caught, it doesn't go on night after night after night after night for months. Those tour stops were sometimes every day. Some of those guys are going to be seriously fucked.

Good bump. Super sad and a good reminder. Dave and Matt Hoffman were always idols. RIP

Brain injuries not just from concussions in action sports, how about from the brain rattling around inside the skull? Skiing, mountain biking, etc etc I'm sure they will find out the brain moves around on jumps, steeps, rough trails, etc