Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cheap Tropical DIY Vacay options with a shot at fish?

The lady wants to go some place warm this Spring. If I'm gonna go I'd like to have a shot at fish or a flat for a day or 2. Not interested in Mega resorts and all inclusive. Off the beaten path is great, though that may negate being cheap. Any recs for a spot we can hit affordabley for a few days of boozing, fishing, and maybe some beach time?

Long Island or Abaco?
    Someplace in HI?
    Gulf Coast?
    Glades?
    Costa Rica?
    Last edited by snapt; 02-04-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    The lady wants to go some place warm this Spring. If I'm gonna go I'd like to have a shot at fish or a flat for a day or 2. Not interested in Mega resorts and all inclusive. Off the beaten path is great, though that may negate being cheap. Any recs for a spot we can hit affordabley for a few days of boozing, fishing, and maybe some beach time?

Long Island or Abaco?
    Someplace in HI?
    Gulf Coast?
    Glades?
    Costa Rica?
    Puako on big island. Vrbo or airbnb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Belize- Caye caulker
    skid luxury

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post

Long Island or Abaco?
    Someplace in HI?
    Gulf Coast?
    Glades?
    Costa Rica?
    Bocas del Toro, Panama.
    Cheap and beautiful. Costa Rica 20 years ago.

Edit....you need to be able to go for a week at least to make it worth travel time. Sometimes cheapest to CR and then to Bocas. Sometimes cheaper to PTY and then Bocas.

Costa rica. Cabo good too. When?
    Decisions Decisions

PR is pretty affordable. Rincon is where I want to go. Not sure how the fishing is there though.

PM Sent

I've done this exact thing a few times. The only island in Hawaii that is good for flats fishing is Oahu so there's that. I like Cancun because it's a nonstop from Seattle, and then you can drive down South and flyfish Ascension Bay, stay S. of Tulum in a cool hotel. We stayed here: http://lasranitas.com before it was totally renovated. Stay nearby for cheap, as it's a great location to get South.

Keys are really easy to hit from Miami but frankly I like to fish out of Flamingo. Of course there's nothing for your wife there, so there's that.

Really good night fishing for Tarpon in Biscayne Bay though.

I just find the Bahamas too much of a pain to get to. Same with Panama, buddy just went to Toros this summer, and the beaches sucked, and the water was murky for snorkeling. No "beach" with body surfing, mostly mangroves. Not impressed.

More:
    Friends did this place with the fam. Great place, cheap rental cars. Cool old salt ponds with tarpon but mostly bones. http://www.winterhavenbahamas.com/bahamas-hotel
    Other DIY paces:
    http://www.fishipedia.com/diy-bonefi...n-the-bahamas/
    I did Turks Caicos, but most great flats are in a preserve now, so fishing mostly sucks for DIY. Highly recommend as a beach vacation, though.
    Same friends that did Toros did Panama City, FL. May not be warm enough, but cheap booze, redfish in the winter, tarpon in the summer: http://www.shallowwaterexpeditions.c...h-fly-fishing/ Lots of fish off the beach.
    Doesn't work for beach stuff, but New Orleans is fun, and redfish are a gas. Lots of guides, I've done that trip ~6 times, as work would send me there.
    Texas coast has lots of redfish too.
    Last edited by plugboots; 02-05-2016 at 12:59 PM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Puert Rico is really cool, I've been 3 times its srsly rad

Thanks for the options and PM's all, got some researching to do!

If the beach is the main emphasis T&C hands down for me comparing HI, CR, PR, FL, Riviera Maya. But I'd kill it if you're looking for cheap.

I like PR quite a bit as an all around.

Glover's Reef, Belize. Doesn't get more DIY than this place. Cheap, isolated, gorgeous. Great diving, snorkeling and fishing.

A couple years ago we did Key Largo over new years. Somewhat crappy VRBO condo on a canal...and 5 of the 7 days we have a boat rental included. Was fairly cheap considering. And being able to head out wherever we wanted (cruising, snorkeling over on the Atlantic side at the state park, islands on the gulf side with deserted beaches, etc) on the boat was awesome. The key for us was cheap and boat.

No idea what the fishing is like around there though.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I've done the key's, Mexico, and Belize. Leaning towards the Bahamas if we can swing flights right. Looks like it will need to be postponed until fall as family has just announced intentions to visit this Spring.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-Pajama-boners

looking back over that brings back some really good memories. The wife and I have a general policy to not go places twice but I'd have no issues going back there.

This year we decided on Aitutaki, part of the Cook Islands in the south pacific. It's really cheap once you get there (strong USD vs weak NZD) but flights there are about twice as much as the bahamas. Leaving in less than a week, pretty fired up!

Ha, someone else sent me the Seascape link, I'll shoot you a message for more beta.

Have some friends who did the Cook Islands a few times and loved it. Fishing was tough as bonefish were mostly in deeper water but they were on the large side.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-Pajama-boners

looking back over that brings back some really good memories. The wife and I have a general policy to not go places twice but I'd have no issues going back there.

This year we decided on Aitutaki, part of the Cook Islands in the south pacific. It's really cheap once you get there (strong USD vs weak NZD) but flights there are about twice as much as the bahamas. Leaving in less than a week, pretty fired up!
    , I just remembered I need to get you a big gun for the trip. Shoot me a text, maybe a beer at Porcupine for the handoff.

I have done a couple of diy trips in Puerto Rico as well. Good times. And the island is just pretty damn cool. There are a couple guides there as well that I have used.
    One was a complete douche but a really knowledgeable and the whole fishing thing.
    The other one was a great guy but want super competent on the whole flyfishing thing. Let me know if you decide you want to explore PR a little more and I will look up names for you.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

what kind of fishing are you guys doing in PR? My city has a direct flight to San Juan now, so I am more likely to do it.

I gotta be honest, Snapped. I'm surprised you don't have someone you can lean on for something like this. Don't you know anyone with a skiff? You're a pretty well connected guy. If I can find my way onto the pointy end every now and then, surely you can too.

"Heeeey, I'm gonna be in town for a few days. Can I put gas in your boat and beer in your cooler? Lunch and dinner is on me, too."

Plenty of folks to lean on stateside, in Mexico, and Belize. Though if I turn this into a majority fishing trip the lady won't be super stoked. A nice beach, some flats I can sneak away on and maybe a day on a skiff are key. Beach time and fruity drinks take precedence.
    Last edited by snapt; 02-09-2016 at 09:26 PM.

I'm telling you this place we go in Exuma is exactly what you're looking for. Houses that are literally right on the flats rent for $150-$250/night. All come with kayaks and have full AC/wireless, etc. walk off the dock twice a day and fish for and hour or two. Once you find the zone you can stand in one place and have school after school swim right at you. Unfortunately they get a fair amount of pressure....

1.5 hour flight from Atlanta and a 20
    Minute care ride.

Beer and rental car are spendy and that's it.

Spend $$ on a guide one day and bring the lady. She'll catch fish all day.

Rent a boat from the neighbor and go visit a deserted island where they filmed the beach scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean.

Oh and you might not see another sole the whole time you're there.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post

Oh and you might not see another sole the whole time you're there.
    There's some wisdom here, Snapped. If you want to catch a sole you'll have to blind cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    There's some wisdom here, Snapped. If you want to catch a sole you'll have to blind cast.
    Haha

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Bocas del Toro, Panama.
    Cheap and beautiful. Costa Rica 20 years ago.

Edit....you need to be able to go for a week at least to make it worth travel time. Sometimes cheapest to CR and then to Bocas. Sometimes cheaper to PTY and then Bocas.
    spent part of my honeymoon in the Bocas Area, cool spot, not the best for fishing, the other pacific coast of panama has better fishing options I believe.

bumping to request info on fishing in PR. Any flats options?