Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Santa Cruz Hightower 29er & 650b

The future?

Interesting bike. It's a little pricey since it's not available in alum, but seems like a nice ride. I'm in the market for a new ride, so this one is now in the running.

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/...cruz-hightower

I am not a long travel 29er guy, but this is a smart move by SC. Update the Tallboy LTC with new geo and made some modifications so the frame can also run 27.5+. I like that they are not going full retard with a 27.5+ specific bike.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Yep, to me it just looks like a nicely updated version of the LTc... which is definitely not a bad thing. Pretty sweet looking bike, that's for sure.

I don't get the whole 27.5+ thing but hey, if it gets more people riding, then that's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I am not a long travel 29er guy, but this is a smart move by SC. Update the Tallboy LTC with new geo and made some modifications so the frame can also run 27.5+. I like that they are not going full retard with a 27.5+ specific bike.
    This....

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Yep, to me it just looks like a nicely updated version of the LTc... which is definitely not a bad thing. Pretty sweet looking bike, that's for sure.

I don't get the whole 27.5+ thing but hey, if it gets more people riding, then that's a good thing.
    It doesn't get more people riding...Typical bike industry, selling to the same 10 dudes over and over...
    That being said,

27.5 plus rides well, I could see it giving $1200 29er hardtails a run for their money soon. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Yeah, I don't know. I'll reserve judgement until I ride one I guess. The one article I read (maybe the one I posted) speaks to it's advantages on rocky bumpy terrain which makes sense to me. My fat bike makes our EC techy stuff easy.

With that said, I'm looking at this in a 29er version anyway. Mostly because I have an expensive, relatively new wheelset. The 650b...not +...is a bike I was thinking about also. But from a previous thread, looking at my geometry vs the new geometry, the new 29ers seems like a good fit for me.

Two buddies are riding this bike as a 27.%+ now. Both like it. I'm considering it as a 29er to replace my older Tallboy as the new Tallboy only has the CC frame which is quite a bit more $$$.

I bought a 29er Hightower back in April. I demoed the Tallboy LT a couple years ago and just loved it so I took the plunge after reading the initial reviews. I have about 200 miles on and it have zero complaints. It takes a little to get used to as the top tube and wheelbase are about an inch longer than my hardtail. It's extremely stable at speed and just plows through the technical stuff. The "long, low and slack" trend does make for a fun bike that like to jump, manual and be ridden fast. It's "big" bike but is very easy to throw around the tight New England single track. The bike isn't cheap but the basic "S" build I got is spec'd pretty damn good for the price. The stock parts are all more than adequate, expect for the rear SRAM hub which I've had to tighten up sevreral times.

I haven't tried it with 27.5+ yet but plan on building up a set with 2.8 or 3.0 inch tires for slippery fall riding. You can also play around with the different wheel sizes and the "flip chip." You can get the HTA very slack and the BB very low or visa versa, depending on your fork and wheel/tire combo.

There's several other longer travel 29ers out there from Transition, Yeti, Ibis and Evil. I looked at all of them and found the Hightower to be best for my budget and riding.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    It's extremely stable at speed and just plows through the technical stuff. .
    ^Yeah! I've had my 29er for about 6-7 weeks now and I'm loving it. It just makes it easier and more fun. I have the base C model as well.

I did throw on a new carbon 5 degree bar with 20mm rise. I've liked that change. The flat bar wasn't ideal or necessary for my riding style. Next will be a wheelset...I'm not sure, but thinking a 650b regular width to make it even more playful.

I'd be curious to hear if regular 27.5 tires bring the BB too low or not

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    ^Yeah! I've had my 29er for about 6-7 weeks now and I'm loving it. It just makes it easier and more fun. I have the base C model as well.

I did throw on a new carbon 5 degree bar with 20mm rise. I've liked that change. The flat bar wasn't ideal or necessary for my riding style. Next will be a wheelset...I'm not sure, but thinking a 650b regular width to make it even more playful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I'd be curious to hear if regular 27.5 tires bring the BB too low or not
    Listen to jamesp, he is on to something important.

Ha asking because I want to do the same thing i.e. Buy a 27.5 plus but change the tires back to regular. Someone needs to be the guinea pig.

BB height from the ground to the center of the crank spindle with regular 27.5" wheels (ie 27.5x2.3 DHR2's) would be just under 12".

Quote Originally Posted by One Sentence View Post
    BB height from the ground to the center of the crank spindle with regular 27.5" wheels (ie 27.5x2.3 DHR2's) would be just under 12".
    Expert

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Expert
    Quoted for truth.

Quoted for truth.
    Ya expert at posting useless beta. Did you consider he might be interested in a bike that accepts both 27.5 and 29. One might want to add 20mm to the fork travel with dual stage fork and one offset bushing in the rear for 27.5. Would slacken .5 degree for the smaller wheel and only drop the bb a touch. But hey stick with your strong suit , the 1+1 stuff. So run along and get the bb difference for us now skippy

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Ya expert at posting useless beta. Did you consider he might be interested in a bike that accepts both 27.5 and 29. One might want to add 20mm to the fork travel with dual stage fork and one offset bushing in the rear for 27.5. Would slacken .5 degree for the smaller wheel and only drop the bb a touch. But hey stick with your strong suit , the 1+1 stuff. So run along and get the bb difference for us now skippy
    Sounds like you know a lot about the Hightower.

Sounds like you know a lot about the Hightower.
    QFT

I'm thinking of swapping out the bar for one with a bit of rise for sure. I always liked the RF Atlas shape and rise for an upgrade. As for plus wheels, I have a set of hubs kicking around that I plan to build up with plus tires for the slippery fall riding season. 3.0 tires are ideal, but sounds like SC recommends 2.8s

Ahh, my hightower is driving me bat shit crazy with the creaking. I'm pretty sure it's the suspension...not bb or cranks. I grabbed the torque spec's online and I guess I'll pull all the bolts, grease, and throw back together. Thoughts?

Ahh, my hightower is driving me bat shit crazy with the creaking. I'm pretty sure it's the suspension...not bb or cranks. I grabbed the torque spec's online and I guess I'll pull all the bolts, grease, and throw back together. Thoughts?
    That would be good place to start and an easy job to pop the axles out and grease. I certainly have never been good at isolating creaks in FS bikes, but thats one I have been doing. I had a bad experience with my old Tallboy because I wasn't greasing the axles at all. When I did try, one of the axles was seized onto the inner bearing ring. That got ugly. So far so good as my Hightower has been acceptably quiet. My latest creak I had was a noisy saddle that some grease on the rail ends took care of. Love the bike. Mines 27.5. That thing hauls ass.

I don't know if the VPP3 upper link is subject to the same torsional forces as earlier versions, but a careful clean/grease/torque to spec will probably do the trick.

^thanks you guys. I'll report back.

Do you have either or both of the following?

Raceface cinch cranks

XD driver and some sort of sram style 11 speed
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Do you have either or both of the following?

Raceface cinch cranks

XD driver and some sort of sram style 11 speed
    All stock C -

Race Face Aeffect AL
    SRAM GX 1x11