Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Sir Heady did you make it out here? Where you skiing this weekend? I could maybe get you a comp at soli or a cheap ticket at brighton....
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Wish I had seen this earlier. I had a pass at Snowbasin and always looking for people to ski with. I just purchased a pass for next season. I'll check back and see if this thread is still active! Congrats on the move!

I have a job offer in Park City so I’m making the jump from Reno in a couple months. Mostly remote but will be commuting to Park City a couple days a week. Might as well keep this thread alive instead of starting a new one.

I think I have a pretty good idea on the neighborhoods. Kind of leaning towards the Millcreek area, seems like a good middle ground between having some local restaurants/bars but a little closer towards LCC/BCC.

My main questions are as a mtber and a skier, is it worth living up towards the foothills (Avenues/University) for mtb access? It seems these are the closest trails to town. Or would I end up just driving to the canyons or Park City to ride? Are there any areas around the City that just become a bottleneck on the way to LCC/BCC or some backcountry zones?

I know, Utah sucks, don’t move there. And honestly, I’m pretty content in Reno, but it’s a sweet gig.

If your job is in PC, why not live there?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    If your job is in PC, why not live there?
    $$$ and it seems like the better skiing is in BCC/LCC.

Cottonwood Heights/Sandy puts you close to LCC and Corner Canyon, but far from the city. Anything else is further from skiing, Murray isn't too bad
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

I live in Millcreek, very close to I80, and I go to PC mostly to bike. It's too damn hot down in the valley to bike for most of the summer. Avenues biking is good but limited and you'd get bored quick. If you work in PC, won't you go biking up there after work anyways?

I've never regretted being 'far' from the mouth of LCC, home of my 2nd favorite ski area in the states (Snowbird). I certainly thought I would have regrets, ha.

Sounds like Millcreek would be good for you. I live in Millcreek and its pretty ideal. A lot of my skiing midwinter starts in Neffs or Millcreek, and I really like biking and running in Millcreek in the summer because it has the shadiest trails, but they are XC flavored for sure. Restaurants are good enough, access to the cottonwoods is easy. If you want to live closer to downtown, try to be close to the freeway because that can make a big difference in your commute time.

Sweet, thanks for the input. Will be heading out sometime in the next week or two to poke around SLC and get a feel for the neighborhoods. Will likely fit some skiing in as well.

yea good call on Millcreek, thatll be your best move. very geocentric to work, biking, skiing, urban night life, airport.
    i live on the millcreek/SLC boundary and work in the PC area. daily commutes up/down i/80 are fast, highway speeds, seldom red dragons... 18ish minutes backdoor to desk.
    +1 on benneke10's and muted's skiing comments. MCC/BCC/LCC resorts and backcountry are right there, w/ free groomed nordork skiing on the downdays in MCC and big mtn.
    as for biking- foothill is only okay for the occasional pre post season and/or quick fitness laps from the house. if your gonna get in the car there's a gazillion different places to ride other than aves/foothill. commuting to/from Millcreek/PC has its advantages. drive to work with bike or leave a bike in the office is standard practice, trailheads allover the PC basin make lunchtime and/or apres-work rides very convenient. by late spring early summertime when the trails/county roads are clear/open you can ride the 902, comfy early morning $5 public rapid transit w/ bike up to work and then rip trails/roads back home after work, a 2000' climb on the PC side then rewarded w/ a 12+/-mi 4000+' rippin descent through the millcreek complex, never gets old. when the fitness is up, days are long, and trails are clear of snow, i'll occasionally bike to/from work via millcreek cyn complex, over the satch crest, and PC trail system. plenty options for mtn/gravel/road bikes. others, BCC/LCC alpine trail development is coming along nicely and the corner canyon trail complex not too far away at the south end of the valley.
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    My main questions are as a mtber and a skier, is it worth living up towards the foothills (Avenues/University) for mtb access? It seems these are the closest trails to town.
    Ave's/U neighborhoods isn't exactly cheap living either, especially if you are far enough up the bench to ride from home. You're a long ways from freeway access and that area can definitely have more of an "old money" vibe. Traffic on Foothill Dr is also pretty rough these days from what I've heard . Personally, I think the riding in that area is better than some here are giving it credit for. Bobsled and Lost Lad are awesome, if you're willing to do some HAB there's some rowdy descents (both on- and off-map), the new NSL BST extension has made some big adventurey rides possible, and I Street has world-class jumps if you're into that. But, if you're going to be commuting to PC multiple days per week being close to I-80 and just taking your bike to work with you makes the most sense. Besides Millcreek proper the south end of Foothill and Parleys Way, 21st&21st area, etc. should also be on your radar.

Appreciate the thoughtful responses. The ride from PC through Millcreek sounds right up my alley, stoked to give that a try once the trails thaw for the season.

I’m heading out on Tuesday to get a feel for the areas and to do a bit of skiing. Anyone happen to know if there are areas that turn a blind eye to van camping? Was thinking maybe the parking lot of some climbing gyms even…feel free to message me if you don’t want it posted up publicly.

Yo man... FWIW, the best MTB is where the best mountains are aka LCC and BCC.
    There are a couple fun early/late season trails near red butte, but yeah... Mill Creek and south through Cottonwood is the call IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Yo man... FWIW, the best MTB is where the best mountains are aka LCC and BCC.
    There are a couple fun early/late season trails near red butte, but yeah... Mill Creek and south through Cottonwood is the call IMO.
    Thanks for the input! So aside from having the best access, is there any sense of community in these places? Central gathering spots, community events (film screenings, talks, etc), farmers markets, etc?

I feel it just gets trickier as you get older to find new partners, make friends, etc. So while having good access to ski/mtb is important, I’m not quite sure if it’s worth it if I’m in an area where everyone generally keeps to themselves and lacks a sense of place.

Any thoughts on that end of things?

Thanks for the input! So aside from having the best access, is there any sense of community in these places? Central gathering spots, community events (film screenings, talks, etc), farmers markets, etc?
    There are a lot of churches.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    There are a lot of churches.
    I’m surprised it took this long to receive a sarcastic remark.

I feel it just gets trickier as you get older to find new partners, make friends, etc. So while having good access to ski/mtb is important, I’m not quite sure if it’s worth it if I’m in an area where everyone generally keeps to themselves and lacks a sense of place.

RE farmers markets, the downtown market is big (I have heard one of the biggest in the country but never verified) and very good. I don’t go with the intention of meeting people but all of the farmers we frequent know me and my son by name, we have plenty of conversation. The other place that happens are the two wine specific state liquor stores…

We live south of 80, north of 33, and it’s a nice area for our son. Plenty of families, nice parks, our local neighborhood park has music once a month in the summer. If I was still single I think I would be looking to be closer to Sugarhouse proper if the intention was to meet younger people without children.

I would also encourage you to look at programs the public libraries puts on. Both SLCounty and SLCity have branches in the area and they offer a ton of non-traditional services.

I’m surprised it took this long to receive a sarcastic remark.
    It’s Utah. Wtf do you think the main activity social networks are grounded in lol. It may be sarcastic but it’s also true definitely the easiest way to find a new group of friends

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    It’s Utah. Wtf do you think the main activity social networks are grounded in lol. It may be sarcastic but it’s also true definitely the easiest way to find a new group of friends
    LOL, not for an athiest. Have you lived in SLC or are you just chiming with Bay Area misconceptions of SLC? I’m sure there are plenty of other outlets to meet people in certain areas independent of the church, some folks have already provided a few.

There are lots of atheists in Mormon churches. Work smarter, not harder

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    There are lots of atheists in Mormon churches. Work smarter, not harder
    Right…

Go back to the padded room unless you have something positive to add to the conversation.

If you’re into skiing and mountain biking it’s super easy to meet new people. As a fellow Utah transplant, there are a TON of transplants here who are super friendly and willing to meet up. Millcreek, Sugar House, the Aves, Liberty Park area, 9th and 9th area, and downtown are the spots I’d recommend in the valley. I wouldn’t worry too much about proximity to skiing and mountain biking in any of those spots. You’ll be 45 minutes or less to amazing spots to bike and ski. But when you move here, do us all a favor and please keep the narrative going that Utah sucks and it’s just a bunch of culty wackos

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If you like rocky trails and have a high level of fitness and bike handling skills then you will love the biking in BCC and LCC, but average riders would probably prefer Aves/foothills, Park City, and Corner Canyon type trails.

SLC is the easiest place I have ever lived to make friends in the outdoors. Most mountain-types are transplants so you don't get the same level antagonistic locals-only vibe that you do in other towns. You will definitely still get it but not to the same degree. I have met some great friends buying and selling ski gear.

Yeah no one moves to Utah to bike those LCC/BCC trails, saying those are the best is ridiculously subjective. The access to most of them is complete shit.

a couple of rando thoughts-

cracker barrel (i215 & 3500s) is where all the vanlifers boondock.

saturdays and sundays. arrive at the Brighton ski parking early enough and park backrow between the church and brighton lodge. chair laps or free skimo laps if you want til about 11am then tailgate from late morn to sundown. some days they whole lot is one big party. have plenty beer/boozy water on hand, eat fantastic food, toss cornhole, make friends. maybe attend sunday service w/ mcski.

as spring season rolls around, show up for the 999 ride. super festive critical-mass bike ride meets up every thursday night 9pmish over at 9th & 9th and then roams the city.

momentum and/or the front climbing gyms. these places are always busy. both climb and nonclimbing activities/events. this puts you in the broadest age demographics of outdoorsy folks, easy to find bikers/skiers(/climbers), cause you know, climbers are notorious for spraying.

the LARPers over at liberty park will gladly let you in on their sword-play and spell-casting... liberty park in general.

slc areas is one of easier place to make like-minded friends.
    style matters...