Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Maybe Moving to SLC area??

Hey y'all

I have an opportunity to get out of the ski industry and get a "real" job in the salt lake area

I've been in vail and jackson. I like Wyoming whiskey and Colorado beer.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is Utah to Mormon like for me to be happy? If I move to the greater salt lake area, where should I live?

Thanks y'all.

If you're worried about whiskey and beer you have nothing to worry about.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

Provo is nice...If you enjoy soaking and 24 year Old divorcees with 3 kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I hope this thread takes off with more sincerity.. The wife and I have been considering slc area to practice. ..seems to be decent medicine out there.

It's a pretty fun city if you live right downtown. Can't speak to the burbs or the Mormons though as I work from home. Some alright bars, plenty of booze. Still 30ish mins to Alta.

I mean don't move here it sucks...

ahhh another "Movin' to Utah' thread. First off, as for CO beer, if you like Fat Tire, you're in business, as I believe it's the only Colorado beer that Utah sells. They even make a 3.2 version now!

If you would like to reside in SLC area, I'd say SLC or Park City are the best places to choose. Personally i'd choose Sugarhouse again if i were moving to SLC, as there is cultural diversity (as much as utah has) and nightlife close by. If smoggy, dirty air bothers you, you'll need to get high and live above the cloud in Park City, Emigration, Big or Little cottonwood canyons. A lot of skier types live in Sandy, Cottonwood Heights and Holladay, but I could not deal w the heavy religious suburbia aspect. Californians recently invaded Daybreak and Draper, but those neighborhoods are incredibly isolated, the roads are poorly planned and on my few trips out that way, i felt like I was in an episode of Weeds.

SLC has a solid medicine contingent with both University Hospital system and Intermountain Healthcare. i know a number of successful physicians, nurses and IT people in healthcare sector, most of whom arrived here after school from somewhere else.

Utah is a beautiful place to live, but it's not for everyone. The Mormons do indeed run the show....as far as booze, taxis, general politicking/law making and the fact that nearly every business (including restaurants) are closed on Sunday....and if that's a big problem for you, then you won't do well here.

good luck! Lots of Utahns on the board, so i bet you'll get some decent info.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    ahhh another "Movin' to Utah' thread. First off, as for CO beer, if you like Fat Tire, you're in business, as I believe it's the only Colorado beer that Utah sells. They even make a 3.2 version now!

If you would like to reside in SLC area, I'd say SLC or Park City are the best places to choose. Personally i'd choose Sugarhouse again if i were moving to SLC, as there is cultural diversity (as much as utah has) and nightlife close by. If smoggy, dirty air bothers you, you'll need to get high and live above the cloud in Park City, Emigration, Big or Little cottonwood canyons. A lot of skier types live in Sandy, Cottonwood Heights and Holladay, but I could not deal w the heavy religious suburbia aspect. Californians recently invaded Daybreak and Draper, but those neighborhoods are incredibly isolated, the roads are poorly planned and on my few trips out that way, i felt like I was in an episode of Weeds.

SLC has a solid medicine contingent with both University Hospital system and Intermountain Healthcare. i know a number of successful physicians, nurses and IT people in healthcare sector, most of whom arrived here after school from somewhere else.

Utah is a beautiful place to live, but it's not for everyone. The Mormons do indeed run the show....as far as booze, taxis, general politicking/law making and the fact that nearly every business (including restaurants) are closed on Sunday....and if that's a big problem for you, then you won't do well here.

good luck! Lots of Utahns on the board, so i bet you'll get some decent info.
    This is an excellent response, and I only need to add that Oskar Blues beers are now available too. Not every liquor sto', but I think 33rd, Holladay and C-Wood locations. The dysfunctional malt liquor shitshow that is the Sugarhouse store does not have them in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    This is an excellent response, and I only need to add that Oskar Blues beers are now available too. Not every liquor sto', but I think 33rd, Holladay and C-Wood locations. The dysfunctional malt liquor shitshow that is the Sugarhouse store does not have them in my experience.
    Thank you for this post, have been impatiently checking the liquor stores weekly since December. Oh well, going to CO next week anyhow.

Lots of good info in here so far. I agree that it's not for everyone. But for pure access to skiing SLC is off the hook.

Medicine/Bio industry strong here as well.

We could have moved anywhere and chose SLC entirely for the skiing. If you need to be near a big city it cant be beat. I live in SLC and Snowbird, Alta, Brighton, Solitude, Park City and awesome backcountry are all about 25 minutes from my house. It goes without saying that the combination of terrain and consistency and quality of snowfall is unrivaled. There's also great hiking and climbing 0-25 minutes from home. June and July can be brutally hot - that's my biggest complaint and there's not much water to play in, but again you're minutes from the cooler air in the mountains. Second complaint is air quality, but this is really only an issue mid December through mid February, sometimes in summer if there are wildfires up wind. If storms come through frequently which happens in normal winters it clears out the air and really never gets that bad. The bad days can be really bad, but, this year for instance, there really haven't been any. Alcohol is very available. Bar and restaurant scene is fine by me, but we don't go out that often. Wikipedia says mormons make up 34%-41% of SLC population while rural areas are overwhelmingly mormon. That seems right. If you live downtown or on the east side of the city from the Avenues to University of Utah to Sugarhouse to Millcreek to Olympus Cove you'll find plenty of educated, worldly, non-religious outdoor types to hang out with. Hasn't been an issue for our family. Schools aren't great because our republican government won't fund them, but you can send your kids to any one you want and there are better ones (they are all in the neighborhoods I mentioned). Cost of living is better than most alternatives. Five national parks within 4-5 hours driving distance. Jackson Hole is 4.5 hours. Sun Valley 4 hours or so. Aspen, Telluride, Silverton are 6-7 hours. Pretty happy here. Hate the state-level politics so I ignore it. It could be too mormon if you lived in the wrong neighborhood, but you can find spots where this won't be a problem. Highly recommended.

Personally, I don't get the Park City love you'll hear about on here. To me, its expensive condo sprawl near the worst skiing in the Wasatch. I like the bigger city and the cottonwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by pvars View Post
    We could have moved anywhere and chose SLC entirely for the skiing. If you need to be near a big city it cant be beat. I live in SLC and Snowbird, Alta, Brighton, Solitude, Park City and awesome backcountry are all about 25 minutes from my house. It goes without saying that the combination of terrain and consistency and quality of snowfall is unrivaled. There's also great hiking and climbing 0-25 minutes from home. June and July can be brutally hot - that's my biggest complaint and there's not much water to play in, but again you're minutes from the cooler air in the mountains. Second complaint is air quality, but this is really only an issue mid December through mid February, sometimes in summer if there are wildfires up wind. If storms come through frequently which happens in normal winters it clears out the air and really never gets that bad. The bad days can be really bad, but, this year for instance, there really haven't been any. Alcohol is very available. Bar and restaurant scene is fine by me, but we don't go out that often. Wikipedia says mormons make up 34%-41% of SLC population while rural areas are overwhelmingly mormon. That seems right. If you live downtown or on the east side of the city from the Avenues to University of Utah to Sugarhouse to Millcreek to Olympus Cove you'll find plenty of educated, worldly, non-religious outdoor types to hang out with. Hasn't been an issue for our family. Schools aren't great because our republican government won't fund them, but you can send your kids to any one you want and there are better ones (they are all in the neighborhoods I mentioned). Cost of living is better than most alternatives. Five national parks within 4-5 hours driving distance. Jackson Hole is 4.5 hours. Sun Valley 4 hours or so. Aspen, Telluride, Silverton are 6-7 hours. Pretty happy here. Hate the state-level politics so I ignore it. It could be too mormon if you lived in the wrong neighborhood, but you can find spots where this won't be a problem. Highly recommended.

Personally, I don't get the Park City love you'll hear about on here. To me, its expensive condo sprawl near the worst skiing in the Wasatch. I like the bigger city and the cottonwoods.
    I live in parley's summit, on the edge of pc, for a few reasons. Better public schools. Fewer days with shit air quality. Great mtb trail access. Easy commute downtown when I need it.

If I were childless and/or didn't bike during the summer, I would probably live in sugar house, mill creek, Liberty park area or cottonwood heights. All those areas can be pretty nice. It just depends what you're looking for.

Yeah, Parley's Summit is cool. We looked there. I can see the appeal.

Silver Summit neighborhood would be nice, too. I love to ski LCC and am 30 minutes away, but I would rather have biking out my door in the summer with cooler temps. 5 years ago, I wanted to be closer to LCC, now I don't care as much.

It's not called Summit Dark anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by BackInTheSaddle View Post
    My place is okay, but if you're up in the pines in upper summit park it is mostly the dark side of the moon.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go shovel off my roof.

Downtown still underrated somehow? So many good bars and eats, cheap as fuck. For what I paid for a studio in queens I have floor-to-ceiling windows looking at the Wasatch, a parking garage, a pool...

I'm almost certain I'll be the only one to have this point of view, but here goes:

The best part of Salt Lake for me was being able to own a home as a ski bum, by living in a bad neighborhood. There are no bad neighborhoods in ski towns, you'll never afford to have your own home in a ski town, yet coming from years in CB and Taos, I couldn't fucking believe the dream life I had in Salt Lake: far better skiing, own home, midnight movies at the Tower, artsy fartsy movies downtown, ECHL hockey, drop-in hockey all over town someplace every day, swim at the Steiner aquatic center, tens of thousands of normal (not ski town) single women, interesting public radio, fast internet, any car/motorcycle part or hardware or tool you would ever need within minutes, 3am mexican food, good public transportation any place you'd want to go, spinning downhill bike laps on the UTA Trax, pink floyd show at the planetarium. It was a fucking renaissance in my life of never having lived in a city prior to moving there. Just had to deal with living in a bad neighborhood, which---surprisingly--wasn't really much of an issue at all. Since I lived right near the freeway on-ramp, I was almost as close time-wise as I would have been if I were in Sandy and further from the freeway....plus I was a lot closer to everything else.

The politics are absurd horseshit, but my favorite coworkers and neighbors were momos....they're nice people, and who doesn't like nice people?

I can't say a bad thing about it. Seriously, best times of my life there...only left because I couldn't find a job in the economic collapse of 08.

Quote Originally Posted by delco714 View Post
    I hope this thread takes off with more sincerity.. The wife and I have been considering slc area to practice. ..seems to be decent medicine out there.
    You're a dildo
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

Quote Originally Posted by dynodonkeyaltabird View Post
    You're a dildo
    Right.. Can you at least explain that? If I am a dildo, you most certainly are a recycled bamboo fuckstick

Quote Originally Posted by delco714 View Post
    Right.. Can you at least explain that?
    Well, see, it's this rubber replacement dick folks use for boning one another.

Quote Originally Posted by BackInTheSaddle View Post
    No. The high-brow inhabitants of snyderville basin refer to it as 'SLummit park' these days. haha.

post #6 and #9 are spot on.
    Last edited by Run Silent Run Deep; 02-04-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    style matters...

What do the Summit Park guys call the high-brow Snyderville basin folk?

Quote Originally Posted by Run Silent Run Deep View Post
    No. The high-brow inhabitants of snyderville basin refer to it as 'SLummit park' these days. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Spartan View Post
    Hey y'all

I have an opportunity to get out of the ski industry and get a "real" job in the salt lake area

I've been in vail and jackson. I like Wyoming whiskey and Colorado beer.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is Utah to Mormon like for me to be happy? If I move to the greater salt lake area, where should I live?

Thanks y'all.
    I recently moved out here with my girlfriend in May and we love it so far. We're young non-religious types who like the outdoors and powder. I wouldn't be to concerned about the Mormon factor especially if you plan on spending your time in the mountains and the outdoors (and Mormons aren't all that bad anyway). I got used to walkability growing up and at my time in school so we picked downtown. Groceries, food, bars, shopping all literally block away with powder less than 45 minutes away. There have been some great neighborhoods mentioned by posters above so I'll repeat a couple of my preferences. Downtown, 9th and 9th (that's the neighborhood around 900 east 90 south), Avenues, Millcreek and anywhere near any canyon is always sweet. A general reference if you can't find a dope spot on the bench near the canyons would be to stay above 2100 south and east of 300 west. (although the area near 3300 south is nice...REI and cool rock gym)

Maybe Moving to SLC area??

Alright so I don't start another thread. How is Farmington area? Can get an acre with new construction for $250 ish. Want to be between cottonwoods and pow mow. Still looking at north sandy and 40 ish south 9-13 east. The pull is strong and looking for a change. Will follow and take comments like I always do....
    Last edited by whyturn; 04-03-2016 at 09:45 PM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Alright so I don't start another thread. How is Farmington area? Can get an acre with new construction for $250 ish. Want to be between cottonwoods and pow mow. Still looking at north sandy and 40 ish south 9-13 east. The pull is strong and looking for a change. Will follow and take comments like I always do....

Farmington is allright. Farmington has the huge mall and the amusment park.

when I worked in Ogden, I thought past Farmington things got weird.

Im not sure about bike trails, but there is no skiing nearby. There is Snowbasin east of Ogden.

If you want to be near by skiing in Weber county, check out the Moose hollow condos in Eden. They are selling and renting cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Farmington is kinda heavy lds suburbia. It would not be my cup of tea.