Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Thanks for the input! So aside from having the best access, is there any sense of community in these places? Central gathering spots, community events (film screenings, talks, etc), farmers markets, etc?

I feel it just gets trickier as you get older to find new partners, make friends, etc. So while having good access to ski/mtb is important, I’m not quite sure if it’s worth it if I’m in an area where everyone generally keeps to themselves and lacks a sense of place.

Any thoughts on that end of things?
    For sure!
    Wheeler Farms farmers market >> Downtown one IMO. Way more chill.

I'd say identifying like-minded people would generally involve the local coffee shops, climbing/crossfit gyms, trailheads, etc etc. Brewvies at least used to (I'm 10 years past going to that stuff nowadays) host lots of ski flicks and such too.

I'd say probably, in practice not that different than moving to Reno for example. There is a small community of like minded people embedded in a large city of normies.

We moved here from Denver 11 years ago with similar concerns as you, and they have been totally unfounded... if anything I'd say its a way better vibe here than LoDo/SoHi Denver these days (one data point).

Just my .02 -> Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 01-24-2023 at 09:14 PM.

Thanks all, really appreciate the input on everything. I do love me some raw trails though so BCC/LCC could be up my alley. Can’t wait to sample all of them. Stoked to get out here and start making new connections and skiing new zones. Cheers.

Anyone have thoughts on Summit Park? Looks like there’s some trails out the door in the area. Not sure about BC options close by though? Is lift served BC at PMRC and the Empire
    Pass the main zones?

Mt Aire (a bit low elevation, however) and Parley's (lambs, millvue) canyon have some good touring for sure too.

Summit Park is especially nice in the summer due to high north facing wooded geo, and its easy to pop out of the neighborhood to jeremy/kimball or down to SLC for shoulder season.

Very few people consider Empire Pass a feasible BC trailhead because its a long, flat walk to get anywhere interesting. Most PC people I know do small tours in Summit Park, Parleys and Lambs and will often go to Neffs and Millcreek for bigger tours. Summit Park has very limited winter parking at trailheads but if you live there I guess its not an issue, if you live high up on the hill at least. Parleys and Lambs need a fat snowpack to make most of the schwacky exits pleasant.