Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Farmington is kinda heavy lds suburbia. It would not be my cup of tea.
    Agreed. Also the traffic on 15 for the SLC commute is getting worse every year. If it snows in the valley there's a good chance you'll be stuck in traffic on 15 and then LCC traffic after that.

Maybe Moving to SLC area??

^^^ Looking at job next to airport so trying to avoid going north on 15 in morning and south on 15 in afternoon. Farmington is 15 miles from airport. Will likely rent first and. Then buy after 6 mos or year
    Can buy smaller in north sandy or south salt lake but then further to pow mow on powder days. But this is exactly the info I'm looking for keep it coming.

Curious about centerville, bountiful and north salt lake also. Don't get me wrong love the cottonwoods but also love pow mow and the basin. Getting to skiing is key but daily commute to work also. Want to be living in area with ability to ride bikes from house and less Mormons
    Last edited by whyturn; 04-04-2016 at 10:41 AM.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    ^^^ Looking at job next to airport so trying to avoid going north on 15 in morning and south on 15 in afternoon. Farmington is 15 miles from airport. Will likely rent first and. Then buy after 6 mos or year
    Can buy smaller in north sandy or south salt lake but then further to pow mow on powder days. But this is exactly the info I'm looking for keep it coming.

Curious about centerville, bountiful and north salt lake also. Don't get me wrong love the cottonwoods but also love pow mow and the basin. Getting to skiing is key but daily commute to work also. Want to be living in area with ability to ride bikes from house and less Mormons
    I would aim for a rental in Salt Lake proper near the U of U, Sugarhouse, or Liberty Park if you're concerned about commute time to the airport and you want to be able to ride MTB from your house and live in a culturally diverse neighborhood. 15 inbound to Salt Lake backs up from both the north and the south: not near as bad as anything you've seen in CA, but it's pretty much the only local corridor that suffers in rush hour traffic. 80 doesn't really back up. Will your work be accessible from the light rail?

There is good MTB near Bountiful, but the sprawl between Salt Lake and Ogden tends to be suburban tract housing, strip malls, and lds temples. You might find it culturally alienating if you aren't lds and you're new to the area. But maybe that's worthwhile to you because you can get a lot of house and you're closer to Snowbasin and PowMow. The conservative thing to do is probably to find a reasonable rental in SLC while you get a feel for the area and decide what trade-offs you're willing to make before you buy.

Also: North Salt Lake is dominated by some very stinky industrial activity. Most notably some refineries. Despite the convenient commuting location, I wouldn't want to live there. But at least they're moving the medical waste burning facility to Tooele!

^Great advice here. Rent for 6 mo or a year in sugarhouse area. You can drive or bike easily to the train and take that towards the airport and miss all the traffic. Under 40 min to the bird and about 1:15 to pow mow. Also walking distance bars, etc. depending where in Sugarhouse/South Salt Lake you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I would aim for a rental in Salt Lake proper near the U of U, Sugarhouse, or Liberty Park if you're concerned about commute time to the airport and you want to be able to ride MTB from your house and live in a culturally diverse neighborhood. 15 inbound to Salt Lake backs up from both the north and the south: not near as bad as anything you've seen in CA, but it's pretty much the only local corridor that suffers in rush hour traffic. 80 doesn't really back up. Will your work be accessible from the light rail?

There is good MTB near Bountiful, but the sprawl between Salt Lake and Ogden tends to be suburban tract housing, strip malls, and lds temples. You might find it culturally alienating if you aren't lds and you're new to the area. But maybe that's worthwhile to you because you can get a lot of house and you're closer to Snowbasin and PowMow. The conservative thing to do is probably to find a reasonable rental in SLC while you get a feel for the area and decide what trade-offs you're willing to make before you buy.

Also: North Salt Lake is dominated by some very stinky industrial activity. Most notably some refineries. Despite the convenient commuting location, I wouldn't want to live there. But at least they're moving the medical waste burning facility to Tooele!

Im going to have to agree with this quote.

I lived in Emigration canyon in 2008 and it was nice as i worked at the u at the base on the canyon and on the other side of the canyon was park city. On the weekends i was a instructor at deer valley.

I assumed that Utah is all similar, well I was very wrong. Utah is a lot like So cal where there is a lot of different vibes in each county/ city.

Im my opinion, Weber county is very redneck and suburban. I did not detect a large lds presence like there is in Utah county. In weber county, expect to be around a lot of lifted trucks and chain stores.

Do you really need the acre? I would rather have quality then quantity. If you are going to be skiing, biking, etc. then what do you need the acre for?

As for the traffic, even on a snow day its not nearly as bad as the 405.

My impression of the corridor between Bountiful and Ogden is WHITE TRASH CENTRAL. I coach soccer, and when my teams oppose teams from that region, there is an incessant bombardment of 9-14yo GIRLS with cursing, and loud statements of

"you are ugly"
    "I hope you get hurt"
    "you are fat"

etc etc, from both the opposing parents and players. This doesn't happen from teams anywhere else in Utah. I can't imagine living near people with that kind of outlook on life if at all possible! FWIW

Why turn' a good handle for someone that skis Pow Mow all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    My impression of the corridor between Bountiful and Ogden is WHITE TRASH CENTRAL. I coach soccer, and when my teams oppose teams from that region, there is an incessant bombardment of 9-14yo GIRLS with cursing, and loud statements of

"you are ugly"
    "I hope you get hurt"
    "you are fat"

etc etc, from both the opposing parents and players. This doesn't happen from teams anywhere else in Utah. I can't imagine living near people with that kind of outlook on life if at all possible! FWIW
    I've met some lovely people who live in Bountiful, Fruit Heights, and Layton. So it's not a total pit or anything.

I didn't mean to include Bountiful in my observation (they are excluded ATM). It's North of there. There is trash everywhere, but just more than their fair share of dirt bags along that corridor IMO. I'm sure there are nice people in there too, but I don't know how they put up with it.

Hey everyone. Thanks for your help on all the suggestions.

I ended up in cottonwood heights. Seems like a good area to be. Maybe a little ways away from downtown but I can handle that because it's close to the mountains.

There's definitely some stuff I have to get used to still. There's SO many people around. Hahaha. I guess I'm more of a small town kid than I realized. Traffic on 15 blows at 5. I may start working a less traditional schedule.

Those of you who mentioned pollution weren't kidding. How does such a beautiful state let that happen?

Anyone who said not to worry about beer- you were right as well. A few elephionos will put you right on your ass.

I'm excited for the summer. Seems like there's plenty of options for activities!

Currently laid up with a ski injury, but if anyone wants to take a lap next winter, I'll buy the beers!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Spartan View Post
    There's definitely some stuff I have to get used to still. There's SO many people around. Hahaha. I guess I'm more of a small town kid than I realized. Traffic on 15 blows at 5. I may start working a less traditional schedule.
    if you're working downtown, don't take I-15 after 4:00. just use 80/215/Wasatch if possible. usually not too bad.
    welcome to the neighborhood!

Those of you who mentioned pollution weren't kidding. How does such a beautiful state let that happen
    If you're referring to winter inversion smog, that has as much to do with geography as anything and there's nothing that can be done about that. Bowl-like terrain + ~1M people + inversion = smog. It's actually much better than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    If you're referring to winter inversion smog, that has as much to do with geography as anything and there's nothing that can be done about that. Bowl-like terrain + ~1M people + inversion = smog. It's actually much better than it used to be.
    Nah. We had inversions in Jackson. I understand that. More the factories that just spew crap in the air like it's going out of style.

There aren't 1,000,000 people in Jackson, nor is the geography as confining. As for sources, industry accounts for a minority of the PM2.5 emissions that create that nasty winter smog.

General info here
    http://www.breatheutah.org/winter_pollution

Detailed info here
    http://www.airquality.utah.gov/docs/...port_FINAL.pdf

I ended up in cottonwood heights. Seems like a good area to be. Maybe a little ways away from downtown but I can handle that because it's close to the mountains.

Those of you who mentioned pollution weren't kidding. How does such a beautiful state let that happen?

Anyone who said not to worry about beer- you were right as well. A few elephionos will put you right on your ass.

I'm excited for the summer. Seems like there's plenty of options for activities!

Currently laid up with a ski injury, but if anyone wants to take a lap next winter, I'll buy the beers!

Thanks again!

Pollution in utah? Have you ever seen the overcompensating d-bags common in the area "roll coal" with their lifted diesel trucks with stacks?

pollution in utah is fashionable.

Quote Originally Posted by mefa30 View Post
    Pollution in utah? Have you ever seen the overcompensating d-bags common in the area "roll coal" with their lifted diesel trucks with stacks?

pollution in utah is fashionable.
    Little did I know this is one of the legal allowances for shooting out someone's Tire

Thanks again!
    Welcome!

FYI, Just watch out for the CH police and don't speed on Ft. Union if you drive with any contraband or leave the HogSwallow after 10 pm.

same situation here, but only for a winter.
    Not really looking to work. More ski and ski more.

What are the relaxed places to live close to LCC? / SLC
    Spent two winters in B.C, really liked the loose 420ski bum mentality there. Will probably find it in UT as well?
    Looking for the next turn..

Quote Originally Posted by sicktird View Post
    Welcome!

FYI, Just watch out for the CH police and don't speed on Ft. Union if you drive with any contraband or leave the HogSwallow after 10 pm.
    Good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by the_teo View Post
    same situation here, but only for a winter.
    Not really looking to work. More ski and ski more.

What are the relaxed places to live close to LCC? / SLC
    Spent two winters in B.C, really liked the loose 420ski bum mentality there. Will probably find it in UT as well?
    Plenty of good info on the last page.

If you spend more time in the mountains and forest land than city, go Cottonwood Heights - Millcreek. Short commutes to the hills and cheap, safe housing. If you are the type of person to complain about the quality of Ethiopian food offerings, live closer to Sugar House or Downtown/Avenues. More property crime towards the city center and especially towards the 'center' of the valley, State St. Against that you have to be careful with commuting, the valley is no DC or LA but it offers up frustrating commutes if you don't plan it. Balance the recreation location preference with your work commute and get a short rental in case you fuck up.

I live a little under 2 miles from the Black Diamond HQ. There's a reason why they're based in Millcreek. Access to mountains, just about non-existent traffic inside the beltway (215), and if you need to get downtown or to the airport it's a whopping 15-20 minutes on average. Brutal shit.

There are so many action junkies in this valley it will never lack for available partners in biking, rock climbing, skiing, touring, snowshoeing, hiking, mountaineering, etc. If you have an internet connection and can interact with other people you will find a niche of like-minded crazies with ease.

^ really good advice on short-term rental. It's a quirky city to figure out how to live in, and your experience can be very different depending on where in the valley you end up. I'm the pinky-finger-extended-from-my-glass snob who complains about the restaurants, so I ended up moving downtown (700 E, 200 S) and totally love it. Far enough east to be safe, close enough to the major city center to have good bars and restaurants in walking distance. Still only ~35 mins to Alta or Solitude, and I got in plenty of dawn patrols this past season.

If I were looking to buy, it'd probably be Millcreek, for all the reasons Bromontana said. There's a pretty active group of mags in the SLC valley up for basically any outdoor-related activity with any work schedule, just post in the Wasatch stoke thread or message some people or whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Still only ~35 mins to Alta or Solitude,
    What good does it do to lie, billy? Nobody likes a liar, billy.

Maybe Moving to SLC area??

maybe you drive slow? I'm on 700, 35 mins door to door is a pretty reasonable estimate unless traffic is bad

edit: Google maps says 42 mins right now, in pretty peak traffic, to Alta

There is peak traffic to Alta right now? Who'd a thought?
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    maybe you drive slow? I'm on 700, 35 mins door to door is a pretty reasonable estimate unless traffic is bad

edit: Google maps says 42 mins right now, in pretty peak traffic, to Alta
    I live 6 miles closer than you and it's about 30-35 minutes, speeding the whole way with no traffic.

On a powder day? Yeah, there is a ton of traffic on snowy roads. It can take me an hour to get up then, sometimes it's 2-3 hours.

I wanna be nice and let the guy know realistic commute times.

Google says 37mins now from billies to Snowbeard. I used to have a condo in the same building. Because its on 700E, an 8 lane semi-divided road, the mileage isnt all that relevant.

I live 37 blocks closer and it still takes me 6 mins less (31mins) to Snowbeard, roads I use just aren't as good.

Kind of like Sandy, it can take 20 minutes just to sit through lights in Sandy going north or south in traffic. 700 east in the north end of the valley doesn't play games like that. 50mph on 700e, 75mph on 215, 50mph on 211. Bada bing.

The point on LCC red snake fuckfest is valid, a big reason why I avoid LCC resorts and touring on pow days.

If you expect these commute times on sunny saturdays after fresh snow make sure to bring some aspirin. Unless you're talking BCC, which is still tolerable.