Price Check: Race SL with no edge left

2011 Fischer RC4 SL 165 w/ Fischer F17 binding and plate.

Rusty, bases lightly scratched, almost no edge left.

What are these worth?

Not looking for offers. Just tell me what you think they're worth....if anything.

My guess would be next to nothing. Race skis don't tend to hold value for very long.

Looks like just pitted rust on the edge? Soft gummi will take that off without skiving more metal. With the bindings maybe somewhere as high as ~$150. But yeah, race gear loses value/appeal quickly.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Hmmm.....that's interesting, because somebody ON THIS FUCKING FORUM, which used to be a place where you don't fuck other people when you sell gear, offered me a pair of race SL's that he had raced in college for $250 shipped. Having done plenty of deals on tgr as buyer and seller, I didn't interrogate this guy about things like "hey, are the edges rusty as fuck?" "hey, is there more than half a millimeter of edge left?" "is the base paper-thin? looking like it hasn't been waxed in years, and all scratched up?"

Nope, stupid me, I keep forgetting tgr isn't what it used to be....A $250 pair of used race skis should have some edge and base left and not be bone dry and rusty. That I know.

Doesn't matter, I will ski them until they're too dull to enjoy and take the loss. Just hope this guy learns a lesson about how we sell gear on tgr....because we're not supposed to be fucking each other over here.

^^^
    Nah, 250 isn't too bad all things considering I don't think he was trying to job you, though if I was the seller they would have come cleaned up and looking shiny. Rust and dry bases just means he didn't do much with them other than leave them in a corner once he was done. And modern race skis do have really thin edges now to start with so I can't tell from your pic that they are that much thinner than normal. As long as there are no major base gouges or edge dings they should clean up and ski well for a long time. It's just that most race geeks turn over gear almost every year so the used market drops off fast once stuff is more than 2 seasons past.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Definitely wouldn't have bought a pair of race skis with no tuning life left. There's no point in buying a hard snow ski that can't be sharpened. What would the point be....to ski them for a month? To ski soft snow on a 165 SL ski? Come on.

They just need a tune.. Plenty of edge left. These skis look like they could take many more machine tunes before the edges are too thin. Base material is harder to get a read on but given the amount of visible edge, I'd say they are not to far gone. They look a little used but a fresh tune will fix them right up.

Just as a reference there is an ebay seller right now selling Elan SLX from 2013 new in plastic for $250. I know I bought a pair. No bindings at that price but it's my favorite rec SL ski. Not a pure race ski but close and so much fun. Several lengths available too.

Quote Originally Posted by hball View Post
    They just need a tune.. Plenty of edge left. These skis look like they could take many more machine tunes before the edges are too thin. Base material is harder to get a read on but given the amount of visible edge, I'd say they are not to far gone. They look a little used but a fresh tune will fix them right up.
    Um. No. I ran a shop for many years, these are gone.

Since the photos aren't showing it, I took a few minutes to measure other skis and get a real reference:

Newer skis filed once: 2.27mm and 2.10 mm
    mid-life skis I've tuned quite a bit: 1.62mm
    older ski tuned a lot, nearly done: 1.04mm
    These: 0.67mm ....which is less than the width of a credit card.

I guess the photos aren't showing it. I ran a backshop. A ski with half a millimeter of edge left is done.

Quote Originally Posted by hball View Post
    By the way, sounds like somebody wants to buy a pair of SL skis! Have I got a screaming deal for you

FWIW I picked up a pair of 165 Elan SLX World Cup Race with ER17s and plates on ebay a couple of years ago for $130 + $30 ship. That was a snipe and I might have been the only bidder but the buy-it-now price was $220. Definitely used but clean bases and a decent amount of edge left. They make firm groomer days almost fun.

so why not just pm the seller, be honest about your disappointment and give him the chance to do the right thing?

your're out what, ~$100 from the delta in condish no?

I wouldn't spend that on lightly used race skis! Perhaps it's because we have nothing but racing going for us in Minnesota but I get last years ski at swaps each fall for under $200. This year I got a pair of Rossignol FIS SL's with World Cup binders sporting DIN 10-18. Almost new edges and I was out the door for $145. I have a older pair of Head ISL's with about 50% of edge left, plates, and World Cup bindings (turn tables) , Look warrantied a heel piece so it's a different color, and they're yours for $50 plus shipping. My garage in overflowing with race skis. If there's a market for race skis on here, I'll pick up a bunch of stuff in Sept and pass the savings along to the Maggots.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Do you know what the width of the edges are from the factory on this specific ski?

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    so why not just pm the seller, be honest about your disappointment and give him the chance to do the right thing?

your're out what, ~$100 from the delta in condish no?
    I'm not rich, so $100 isn't throwaway money. See...the thing is that a race ski that can't be sharpened is of zero value to me, so this whole situation is a complete fucking waste of time and money. Maybe somebody wants a race ski that can't be sharpened again, but that's a weird thing to want IMHO. I gave away a pair of similar skis this fall, actually much cleaner than these, because they were out of edge. The time to do the right thing has passed.

It's time for all of us to learn something about selling gear on TGR. It's been 12 years of buying and selling gear on here for me, and the protocol has always been that maggots go above and beyond to make sure this is a group of people who don't skim or bullshit or cheat....I've always trusted maggots, and gone out of my way to be trustworthy....so if I make a thread looking for cheap race skis, and you have something with no edge left, you say "I've got a pair with thin edges that will need some cleanup, $100 plus shipping" ....not "I have a pair from college racing, $250". ...which, again, knowing the market for these skis---that number implies they're in good shape; and because this isn't ebay I'm not insisting on seeing photos or insulting maggots asking if they're trying to unload a ski with rusty, paper-thin edges. Maybe to you it's no difference, but to me this has always been a place where we don't gouge each other on gear. If this didn't happen on tgr I would have asked more questions, I would have wanted to see photos and there never would have been a sale.
    Somebody else offered a pair of skis in response to that thread, but they weren't worth shipping, probably in similar shape to these....that's how a pair of hammered, tuned-out race skis should be handled.

Making it right would be that this guy takes that weak shit over to ebay or gapic or whatever and doesn't sell here.

Just the fact that people are pushing back on this shows me what this forum has turned into...and that maybe we're not doing what we used to do here. I don't know, shit changes...I guess we're in free-for-all Jesse Jones mode now. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by mnflyfish View Post
    I wouldn't spend that on lightly used race skis! Perhaps it's because we have nothing but racing going for us in Minnesota but I get last years ski at swaps each fall for under $200. This year I got a pair of Rossignol FIS SL's with World Cup binders sporting DIN 10-18. Almost new edges and I was out the door for $145. I have a older pair of Head ISL's with about 50% of edge left, plates, and World Cup bindings (turn tables) , Look warrantied a heel piece so it's a different color, and they're yours for $50 plus shipping. My garage in overflowing with race skis. If there's a market for race skis on here, I'll pick up a bunch of stuff in Sept and pass the savings along to the Maggots.
    Awesome. PM coming.

and as for a market, I don't know...this has been a brutal season of wrod skiing here so I'm trying to keep things interesting.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 02-02-2016 at 09:36 PM.