Revelstoke in March

My buddy and I are doing a trip to Rev in March. Both experienced BC skiers and do a lot of AT around the Mt Washington area in NH. We're on the fence about whether to bring our AT gear to Rev given our unfamiliarity with the area + the shit ton of in bounds skiing, but wanted to solicit views of any locals / others who have BC experience at rev. Also, we'll buy a few six packs for anyone in the area that's willing to show us some good AT spots.

You'll be ~40 minutes from one of the best "AT spots" in North America in Rogers pass. You need to be hugely avy savvy and all that, but I can't imagine going to rev and not touring unless the snowpack is insanely touchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    You'll be ~40 minutes from one of the best "AT spots" in North America in Rogers pass. You need to be hugely avy savvy and all that, but I can't imagine going to rev and not touring unless the snowpack is insanely touchy.
    Thanks, man. I've heard great things about Rodgers. The avy issue is my main concern. We're both knowledgeable and have avy training but I've seen mixed things about the snowpack this year. Any advice on particular spots / the snowpack generally this year?

ahm from a European perspektive you even have to hike in the ski area to get some decent fresh, since it rarely seems to snow more than 20cm over night.

Plus, Rogers pass is just around the corner, so I would't leave it at home. And from what I've seen of rogers pass you can find something for nearly all avi danger levels. It's not rocket science to read the avi bulletin and plan accordingly if you have the map and /or guide book (obviously level 4 is a bit more difficult...... . has it ever gone to 5 there? I mean even here in the alps this happens every 5-7 years during the biggest storms only and I can't think of any weather system that delivers that ammount of snow to Interior BC.....)
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    ahm from a European perspektive you even have to hike in the ski area to get some decent fresh, since it rarely seems to snow more than 20cm over night.

Plus, Rogers pass is just around the corner, so I would't leave it at home. And from what I've seen of rogers pass you can find something for nearly all avi danger levels. It's not rocket science to read the avi bulletin and plan accordingly if you have the map and /or guide book (obviously level 4 is a bit more difficult...... . has it ever gone to 5 there? I mean even here in the alps this happens every 5-7 years during the biggest storms only and I can't think of any weather system that delivers that ammount of snow to Interior BC.....)
    Didn't realize that about the ski area, definitely adding that to the overall calculus. Thanks dude. I've also heard that Douglas Sproul's book on RP is pretty much the bible; thinking I should probably acquire it.

Revelstoke in March

Quote Originally Posted by rdt854 View Post
    I've also heard that Douglas Sproul's book on RP is pretty much the bible; thinking I should probably acquire it.
    Yes you should, and get the map as well. They're awesome. Check Avalanche Canada often for forecasts and conditions, and the visitor center at the pass for recent observations and the litany of passes you'll need.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Yes you should, and get the map as well. They're awesome. Check Avalanche Canada often for forecasts and conditions, and the visitor center at the pass for recent observations and the litany of passes you'll need.
    Thanks man, hugely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rdt854 View Post
    Thanks, man. I've heard great things about Rodgers. The avy issue is my main concern. We're both knowledgeable and have avy training but I've seen mixed things about the snowpack this year. Any advice on particular spots / the snowpack generally this year?
    I've only been touring around Revy for six years, but this is definitely the best we've had it in terms of stability versus quality skiing since I got here. Usually when we have a very stable snow pack, it's because it hasn't snowed in ages and the skiing is average at best. This year, things have been pretty stable and the snow has been great. That said, This past week has been the first with some real unpredictability in the snowpack. And who knows what things will be like by March.

Still, you should definitely bring your touring gear. Rogers Pass is world class and there is safe skiing you can access with minimal exposure. Hire a guide if you're nervous.

For your first visit to RP, if you can split costs with a buddy, its worth hiring a guide for a day to get you to some excellent skiing you likely would not figure out on your own. The guide would also be able to help you understand the general lay of the land to venture out on your own for subsequent days.

Avalanche Canada is a great resource http://www.avalanche.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    obviously level 4 is a bit more difficult...... . has it ever gone to 5 there? I mean even here in the alps this happens every 5-7 years during the biggest storms only and I can't think of any weather system that delivers that ammount of snow to Interior BC.....)
    Was at extreme (5) a couple weeks back. Facets/hoar/ other dry spell words getting a big wet storm. Shit, it was extreme on the coast. December and most of January was brilliant though, as Alex was saying.

AT gear opens up a whole amount of extra terrain at the hill - I would bring it for that alone.

Doug's book is great for ideas - I wouldn't call it a typical guidebook though (and I mean that in a good way). It won't walk you through how to ski the bread and butter stuff at the pass rather it opens your eyes to the possible lines out there. Not sure if it still exists anywhere but there was a guide by Eric Dafoe that was better at covering the basics of some of the common tours. These days there are tracks every where at the pass so not likely you'd be breaking trail anyway.

Snowpack is decent. Various potential PWLs keep getting buried but most have settled pretty quickly this season. Having said that lots can change in a month but you have the benefit of a daily bulletin created purely for the pass. Keep an eye on it for the month before your trip to get a feel for what's going on in the snow. You can ski in the pass when the hazard is high - obviously lots of big paths to avoid but there is still places to ski.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Make sure your Dynafit binding to boot interface is secure.
    Or that your timing is jjjjuuuussssstttttt right

Sounds to me like a guide will be well worth it to you.

Repost - read this for links and info about where to ski around Revy/Rogers Pass. Links are cribbed from Dougie's guidebook with his permission.. Buy the guidebook

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...s-pass-and-rmr

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...bie-and-the-fi

Thanks all. Really appreciate the great advice. We're def bringing our touring gear now, so maybe we'll see some of you out in RP come March.

silly bunt and snow spirit have good advice. Grab a guide early in the trip - you'll get more than a day's worth of advice from them - and they will let you know what's in shape and skiing well right now and what's a miss. Tip well and grab them a beer after and you'll have the best local knowledge, current as shit.