Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Widest tech boots?

I have a flintstone foot, and my alpine boot is a blown out Surefoot (Lange) shell and foam liner. It's a 26.5, and my foot measures 110mm wide up front.

I'd LIKE to get a lightweight tech boot for my skinning, but my initial searches have been a disappointment.

Are there any tech boots out there that may work?

TIA

Maybe check the Atomic Backland Carbons, with heat moldable shells?

It ain't a lightweight but the Garmont/Scott Delirium is the only ski touring boot that fit my wide flat feet without punching. I'm only 103/104mm at forefoot but there actually seems to be a bit of room to spare. The shell is a very interesting shape, for me very anatomical with inherent curves for frequent trouble spots and tapers into a nice relatively tight heel/ankle pocket. I have skinny ankles/low arch/thin calves/lower tibia and the boots fit awesome with high volume intuition liners to take up just a bit of space. Flex is rated at 130+ which may be a bit optimistic, but damn it's very very progressive, smooth and damp for my 175 pounds. Rock solid laterally and rearward. my kingdom for the same shell last, flex and more tourability in a 1500 gram boot; it has a walk mode which allows almost full limitless forward rom with all the buckles undone/open but rearward it's quite limited. Fine for yo/yo ski touring but not great for flats and undulating terrain. Oh, and the weight...2300 grams makes the uphills a bit of a grunt...but hey, if the boot fits....

Have yet to put the Scott Cosmos 2/Superguide (1400-1500gram range) on my feet. Word is they fit a wider foot a bit mo betta? I did try the original cosmos with pretty crappy stock liner years ago forefoot was adequate but the rest of the boot fit like a big empty kleenex box with stock liners packing out fairly quickly. And it was just too soft in forward flex...might be improved with latest versions and/or Superguide edition?
    Last edited by swissiphic; 01-28-2016 at 03:12 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

just get something with Grillamid and blow the shit out of it.
    I have a 127mm forefoot and my 29.5 vulcans have been punched to fit no problem. the bootfitter said it's great to work with.

yeah 26.0 110 mm wide fore foot in maestrale RS the punch is fine.

NOthing wrong with punching.

Cosmos II skis pretty stiff for how light it is. I'd say around a 110 or so. I have a 102ish foot and I didn't have to punch it but you could. The liners ski fine but I have a feeling they won't last that long.

One lesson from this is to get multiple opinions. The first shop I went to, the guy told me they don't like punching out AT boots because the plastic is thinner and they rip.

OK

That sounded lame to me, but he's supposed to be the expert not me.

I guess I just need to find a boot fitter that knows their stuff. Can anyone guide me to a good boot fitter in SLC, UT, or Park City? I live in SLC but don't mind driving to get a pro job. I got my alpine boots at Surefoot, but not sure if they do AT boots.

I really appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    One lesson from this is to get multiple opinions. The first shop I went to, the guy told me they don't like punching out AT boots because the plastic is thinner and they rip.
    That statement is not entirely without merit. It takes more caution to punch out thinner AT boots like my TLT5's, but I talked to my boot fitter about it and what I'd read online and he took it slow and it worked out. With bigger AT boots (like my Vulcans but also like most of them out there) it's not such a difficult issue. Your search for a boot fitter that is familiar with AT boots is the right direction to take, and I know I've seen posts talking about such people in the SLC area so someone is bound to pipe up.

Scarpa TX pro. NTN boot but can be used with Tech bindings. Super wide and comfortable for touring.

Quote Originally Posted by polenta View Post
    Scarpa TX pro. NTN boot but can be used with Tech bindings. Super wide and comfortable for touring.
    Never going to tour/ski as well as a rigid soled AT boot. You're right about fit though. I've toured a bunch on them with Dynafits and there not bad but there are certainly better options if not tele'ing. Probably why Scarpa is pulling the tech fittings on the next version.

Black Diamond Quadrants are / were 104mm wide with a generous toe box. Seems like I remember reading that they may have narrowed it but I am not sure. They do not have removable lugs so they cannot be used with alpine bindings. As far as shops in SLC I would go to Zoe at the Deep Powder House at Alta. He has been there for years and I think he does a great job. Inkline does good work so does the Sports Loft. A word of warning on the Sports Loft, they will pretty much force you to buy custom insoles and they charge extra for any boot work. When I bought my boots they put me in a medium width boot instead of the wider version which it came in, and then I spent $200 getting the boot punched out. I have an EE foot with Taylors bunions so the 98 width boot made no sense. Had I known the boot came wider I would have insisted we start there. I will say they are the best fitting boots I have ever had but between the foot beds and punches I spent $1300, still cringe when I think about it.

For what it is worth, my Scarpa Mobe fit like a bucket before I modified a bunch of pieces, so it may fit the bill. Not exactly the lightest and most range of motion, but the thing skis like a boss and once dialed, I really like.

First generation Factors and Quadrants (not the MX), Mobes and Atomic Waymakers are widest/highest volume out of the box. If you need more room than that, the Black Diamonds don't punch well (Pebax) and the Waymakers only can be punched on the medial side due to the flex panel. Lighter Grilamid boots like the Vulcan/Mercury, Maestrale RS (not actually Grilamid, but punches well), and even the 98mm MTN Lab can be made to fit wider feet, but most deflect when punched aggressively and the toe box gets lower due to the open shell designs. If you also have a high instep, you might have trouble with most of the latter group.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post

OK

That sounded lame to me, but he's supposed to be the expert not me.

I guess I just need to find a boot fitter that knows their stuff. Can anyone guide me to a good boot fitter in SLC, UT, or Park City? I live in SLC but don't mind driving to get a pro job. I got my alpine boots at Surefoot, but not sure if they do AT boots.

I really appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.
    Inkline down the road from REI on 3300. Probably millcreek is the town... Sports loft in Cottonwood heights. And I think its Christys at the bird has some good peeps. Maybe its not chritsys though one of the other shops on the tram plaza..one advantage of on mtn shop (if they are good) is that you can ski a few and go back for adjustments during your ski day to get dialed. If you go to a valley shop you'll have to go back and forth...I have used both inkline and sports loft myself. Like both, but I think my future money will go to Inkline.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Cosmos II skis pretty stiff for how light it is. I'd say around a 110 or so. I have a 102ish foot and I didn't have to punch it but you could. The liners ski fine but I have a feeling they won't last that long.
    The Scott Cosmos fits my E width & high arch feet. I like the light weight & how they ski. 100+ days & the liners are holding up just fine. Wasatch Touring set me up & I am very happy.

Tlt7 will be very wide. And yes, the quadrant are the widest AT boot I've tested so far

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Tlt7 will be very wide. And yes, the quadrant are the widest AT boot I've tested so far
    Care to tell more? Still in my Quadrants as no other boot fits. Looking to replace them next season after 400+ days, the only problem
    being there are no good replacement options. Well, at least none that wouldnt require very extensive punching, that is.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Care to tell more? Still in my Quadrants as no other boot fits. Looking to replace them next season after 400+ days, the only problem
    being there are no good replacement options. Well, at least none that wouldnt require very extensive punching, that is.
    hi Pep, if dynafit does not change the liner in the final production, the toe of the TLT7 is the widest I've tried in years. I've skied in quadrants, but years and years ago, so cannot really tell whether the TLT7 I've tried at ISPO was AS WIDE as the quadrant, but it shouldn't be so far

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Tlt7 will be very wide.
    HALLE FUCKING LUJAH!
    Master of mediocrity.

My sincerest apologies for resurrecting an old thread:

Quick 2018 question:

What is currently the AT boot (with tech inserts) with the widest fit and highest instep?

Background:
    I am looking for an AT boot with a fit similar to an Atomic Hawx 2.0 in Mondopoint 26.5 - that is the currently the only alpine boot which perfectly fits my 104 mm wide feet (after heat molding).
    Would the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD provide a similar fit (after expanding) ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The new Hoji boot could be on your radar.

As other have said, just buy something that can be punched if you have access to a decent boot fitter (which it sounds like you do since you're talking about heat molding the shell). Buy the one with the best heel hold for your foot and have a fitter make them wide enough.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 01-26-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    The new Hoji boot could be on your radar.
    This. They're have a 103mm last in a 27/27.5. Had my feet in a pair earlier this week. Superb lock-up mechanism and the tour mode range of movement is huge.

Scott Superguide & Cosmos III also have a 103mm last and plenty of volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    This. They're have a 103mm last in a 27/27.5. Had my feet in a pair earlier this week. Superb lock-up mechanism and the tour mode range of movement is huge.
    Random aside: how's the flex quality/progressiveness compared to other touring boots?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

The Hoji Boot has the anatomy of a F350. Fits like a big old box.

If you want an anatomical fit go with the HawX. It went from 100mm at toebox to 110mm to fit my flippers. That with a combo of Memoryfit and punch

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk