Inbounds Slides and Information

Some recent skier triggered slides at Snowbird on open terrain have got me thinking about how resorts (at least Snowbird) give no info on events like this and the general public may never know they happened.
    There was a slide under Gad2 on open terrain that resulted in a probe line/dog search around christmas day and also apparently a slide in powder paradise (only info I've seen about it http://fox13now.com/2016/01/26/2-tee...urvival-story/)
    I understand the resorts don't want the public to hear about slides happening on open terrain but I would like to hear your opinions/get some more perspective. Do you think the resorts have a duty to their customers to do a press release/make info known? Should the local avy center do accident reports on inbounds slides with victims involved? I know they can't if the resort doesn't report it. Should I just have another beer and stop analyzing it?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Should the local avy center do accident reports on inbounds slides with victims involved? I know they can't if the resort doesn't report it.
    What?

NWAC do for sure and work closely with all the WA ski areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Business owners own no duties to their customers other than what is required by law.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What?

NWAC do for sure and work closely with all the WA ski areas.
    2 14 year old boys buried on an open run a few weeks ago, patrol involved, no accident report or press release anywhere. Only that news article in my first post.

http://www.nwac.us/accidents/accident-reports/ plenty of examples of WA ski areas patrols filing NWAC reports.

The 2012 inbounds burial at crystal was reported in detail by the mountain on local media and via their social media channels.

http://www.blogcrystal.com/2012/12/2...e-in-northway/

Maybe it's a snowbird/Utah thing?

And...Here's one for no nothings like DD... http://www.blogcrystal.com/2012/12/2...ep-last-night/
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 01-27-2016 at 07:30 PM.

I know of a number of inbounds, post control slides in Colorado that went unreported to the local avalanche center.

There is no standard. Every resort functions differently. In Jackson, where the avy center and JHMR ski patrol are intimately intertwined, pretty much every result that patrol has is publicly reported. Locally here in CO, it seems that some resorts report a lot (Copper), some report especially significant slides that happen during control work but not anything that happens post-control (Loveland), and some report nothing.

Loveland has lots of smallish steep bowls that run all the time. They will not report anything because it all runs at some point. We are often riding right next to the debris fields, and it certainly teaches us about where to ride up there. If we push the gut on a big day even after patrol has done control work, I think we are safer knowing the potential release spots from paying attention to their diligent work prepping the ridge in the days after the storms.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Loveland has lots of smallish steep bowls that run all the time. They will not report anything because it all runs at some point. .
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I know of a number of inbounds, post control slides in Colorado that went unreported to the local avalanche center.
    OP was asking about accidents being reported though.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    OP was asking about accidents being reported though.
    Define accident? I may not have been clear, but I am referring to slides in which people were caught, carried, and partially or completely buried. Typically ones involving injuries are reported, and all fatalities are reported, IME.

For example, a good friend and fellow mag was caught, carried, and buried to his neck in a post-control release on open terrain at Wolf Creek a few years ago. The slide was triggered by a skier not in our party. The responding patroller told us he would report it to CAIC. When we emailed CAIC the next morning, they had never heard of it. We provided them with all the details but no information was ever made public about the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Define accident? .
    Clearly in terms of this thread it means burial or ride in-bounds.

Very odd that CAIC wouldn't/didn't report it. I can't imagine it was because Wolf Creek didn't want them to though.

So? Is it worth it to ware a transceiver in-bounds? Thoughts?
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    For me I always do, I have it why not wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Used to occasionally when CB was my home mountain, started more regularly last season. Recently have been almost always. Batteries are cheap.

If you spent $350 on the bacon, the extra set of $3.50 batteries is probably worth putting the thing to use. Worst case, you don't need it and people ask what it is.

Best case, you're very glad you have it.

If I'm skiing terrain that can slide I wear it. It's a little bulky under my jacket but once I'm skiing I don't notice it. Batteries get replaced every year regardless if I turn it on every day or just one day. I finally convinced my parents who ski Alta a lot to beep in bounds too.

I'm currently looking for a nice compact probe/shovel/pack set up so my beacon can do more than just help patrol find my buried ass.

Even if you aren't skiing something that could slide a beacon might be a good idea if there are tree wells.