Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Actually a friend of mine was one of the cars that DID run them over, D'OH! Vibes on your loss man, that's a big hit to the wallet. Hopefully Yak steps up and makes you whole. FWIW when I had an older Yak ski rack I never locked it for driving and never had an issue. Even rolled the truck on it with skis on and didn't pop open. Ripped the drip rails off though.

All that said, my advice to you is get a box. WAY more secure for both driving and parking. I just leave the skis in there all the time, even in the city. Never had an issue. Out of sight, out of mind.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Four pages and nobody has asked which direction the tips were pointed?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Just thought I'd update everyone here.

Yakima sent me a brand new rack before I even sent the defective rack back to them.

Yakima told me they'd test the rack, but it would take 6-8 weeks. 10 days after they received it they told me it was defective and that a check was in the mail for the replacement value of the skis.

I received the check a few weeks ago, bought 3 new pairs of skis and bindings.

Big ups to Yakima for not only getting this done quickly, but also for standing behind their products.

And in response to a few earlier critics: The old version of the powderhound didn't come with locks and the user manual did not indicate they needed to be locked before driving. The new version of the rack does come with locks and I do use them while driving. In any case, Yakima told me that the old rack was defective, so I assume that locks may not have helped anyway.

That's a fucking awesome outcome. Yak just potentially sold a bunch of racks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

After reading the OP and pages 1-2, I was ready to post some typical wise ass stuff about "Why not a Thule" or Why not a box"..... you know the typical maggot stuff. Somehow I was able to hold my breath until I read the entire thread and now I can agree with the last post that Yak just did them selves a huge favor for their sales and image just by doing you right. I am glad for one that it all worked out for you.
    To think about losing 3 nice pair of sticks out of the rack just makes my blood boil. Maybe that's why I always locked my rack and eventually bought a box
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Yak has come through for me before as well, and I'm still using towers and a ski rack I bought in 1996.

In another instance I lost skis, definitely due to user error. Driver forgot to close the rack before jumping on to 91 in VT. Saw our skis go 50 feet airborne before hitting the shoulder. My boards were damaged but salvageable. Two days later I flew United and they lost them. New skis came soon after. Lucky me.

Great ending to a possibly shitty experience. New sticks!

Good on Yak to make it right. Solid company it sounds like.

FWIW on the insurance front, I pay a bit extra to have all of my cameras, computers and sporting equipment covered in a no deductible, no questions asked policy. Even covers mysterious disappearance. The peace of mind is totally worth the extra $50 that it costs me every year.

Yakima really hooked me up on a bike rack that had badly rusting welds after only a few years, in SoCal no less. Bare metal takes at least a year to rust here, lol.

Anyhow, they shipped me a new rack after I proved the old rack was destroyed. (Cut in half with a chop saw.)

Very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    All that said, my advice to you is get a box. WAY more secure for both driving and parking. I just leave the skis in there all the time, even in the city. Never had an issue. Out of sight, out of mind.
    Unrelated, but I just want to throw in here that boxes are NOT secure. I had to break into my Thule (top of the line box from a few years ago) with a screwdriver and pliers, and it was easier to open than it is with a key. Seriously, it took about 5 seconds.

The out of sight concept still works, but it's hardly secure.